Life of women in Iraq---- Abuse---with documentary source.

wahegurubol

PLEASE TAKE TIME TO READ THE ENTIRE POST, WHICH WILL TOUCH YOUR HEARTS.

When the Iranian Revolution was over, Ayatollah Khomeini wasted no time in changing social laws, especially concerning the dress of women. The mandate of "hijab" requires every woman, regardless of religion to wear dark clothing that covers her whole body. (Mackey, p.335) Scarves are required to be worn covering their heads so as no strand of hair is shown. This so-called veil is a controversial issue in many Islamic nations. Most women concede to wearing the veil more because of intimidation from men than anything else. They feel that by not wearing the veil, they would be the victims of great social pressure. In addition, nationalistic pride persuades women to want to dress differently from Westerners. They believe that by wearing the veil their "honor, dignity, chastity, purity, and integrity are protected. (Abdul-Ati) Lastly, women know that male government leaders are very unlikely to release the strict enforcement of veil wearing, simply because it is the most apparent symbol of Muslim State Law. It is the last thing they would want to surrender. (Bogert) This is easy to understand, as incredibly conservative leaders attempt to keep their values alive in a progressively liberal world.

Specifically in Iran, sexual discrimination and violence is rampant, and its effects are unimaginable. Women play an incredibly small role in government affairs. In fact, discrimination is so bad, only 6% of Iranian women are employed. Some public facilities are segregated, and some professions are literally unavailable to females. Domestic abuse is sometimes considered a husband’s right when brought to court, and often, before a virgin woman is executed, a prison guard rapes her, in an effort to make sure she is unable to go to "paradise." ("Prime Victims") Her crime may have been something as simple as trying to become more politically involved. Women are even turned against each other like the girl who set her divorced mother’s bed on fire after being told by her grandmother that her mom was destroying the honor of her family by dating (Prusher). Although it is clear to see that women desperately want to be a significant part of society, they are scared to try.

The most disheartening part of the plight of women in Iran is the rapidly growing rate of suicide and infanticide. Daily, women are abandoning their children because they have no means of supporting them. In an effort to please their husbands, they have conceived so many children, thus disregarding their health and the fact that there is no way that they can take care of each and every one. Simply resisting the opinion that a woman’s purpose in life is to produce and raise more Muslims has actually condemned women to death (Schemla). The physical and mental abuse has literally pushed thousands of women over the edge. No human being deserves to live in such conditions.

It is clear to see that the hardships and obstacles women face in Iran are the results of conservative teachings, a burning desire to live Allah’s will, and a revolution that will never be forgotten. However, one must question whether this was totally Allah’s plan. In regard to some of the quotes from the Koran mentioned earlier, if men have a "degree" over women, how could Allah have possibly declared them equal? Also, if the two genders are equal, how could a follower of Islam possibly place discriminatory laws against women to the great effect that they are? It is necessary to question if the extent to which women are discriminated against truly is necessary. The boundaries that should be in place in every society have been crossed entirely too far. After years of discrimination, it can be sure that many women must believe that they are less capable than their male counterparts.

It is very hard to have faith in the fact that all interpretations of the Koran by governmental leaders are correct, since the words of the Koran so often contradict the opinions of leaders in certain ways. If men and women are equal, how could Allah and Muhammad possibly have also wanted women’s rights to be so few, and their abuse so great? That seems to be the problem with many religious-based governments. People who believe that it must be "their way or no way" often run them. Although quite possibly not the original intent of Khomeini, leaders can twist interpretations for their purposes. It is difficult to imagine how long an established regime like this would take to be turned around. It is my hope, however, that it will be - for the sake of mothers, daughters, and granddaughters especially born into these unjust societies. It is my belief that no God, of any religion, would have wanted a child of his to be treated as it shouldn’t be.

Bibliography

Abdul-Ati, Hammuda. "The Status of Women in Islam." Internet. 26 October 2000.

Armajani, Yahya. Iran. New Jersey: Prentice-Hall. 1972.

Bogert, Carroll. "Pushing Back the Veil." Newsweek. 9 April 1995. EBSCOHost. 4 November 2000.

Foreign Affairs Committee of the National Council of Resistance of Iran. "Women, Islam, & Equality – Prime Victims." Internet. 11 November 2000.

Goldstein, Phyllis, Stephen Wasserstein, and Reeva S. Simon. The Middle East and North Africa. New Jersey: Globe Book Company. 1993.

Hudda, Sabira. "Defending Muhammad." World Press Review January 1995. EBSCOHost. 4 November 2000.

Islamic Center of Southern California. "To Separate Fact From Fiction." Internet. 26 October 2000. <http>

Mackey, Sandra. The Iranians. New York: Plume, 1996.

Prusher, Ilene R., "Arab Women – Out From the Shadows." The Christian Science Monitor. 7 August 2000. 8.

The Koran. New York: Penguin Books, 1995.

Schemla, Elisabeth. "Islam’s Veiled Threat." World Press Review January 1995.EBSCOHost. 4 November 2000.

Serrill, Michael, S. "Armed Women of Iran." Time. 21 April 1997. Internet. 11 November 2000.

That article is just anti-Muslim propaganda. It says a woman's purpose in life is to raise more Muslims... and this affects her health from having so many children, etc. It justs uses selective quotations from a number of sources to support an anti-Islam position. Nothing short of eradicating Islam (which he says is inherently the cause of all these alleged problems) from the face of the earth would satisfy that writer. It's just a magazine article or editorial review designed to fill a page on a slow week.

Iran has more females in higher education than males. So painting it with the Taleban brush doesn't apply.

That article is just anti-Muslim propaganda. It says a woman's purpose in life is to raise more Muslims... and this affects her health from having so many children, etc. It justs uses selective quotations from a number of sources to support an anti-Islam position. Nothing short of eradicating Islam (which he says is inherently the cause of all these alleged problems) from the face of the earth would satisfy that writer. It's just a magazine article or editorial review designed to fill a page on a slow week.

Iran has more females in higher education than males. So painting it with the Taleban brush doesn't apply.

stop denying the truth brother. it is not anti-islamic, but it is just showing that how some people are manipulating islam for their own benefits and it is telling you exactly what is happening in iran.

it is not saying woman's purpose in life is to raise more kids, but it is saying that women are inclined to be used as pleasure objects for their iranian husbands so that they dont get abused and this affects their health.

pls..stop denying the truth... these things dont happen in any other country.

the story of a 15 year old girl being executed..THAT SINGLE ONE STORY IS ENOUGH to prove that Iran is a no-go country. I challenge you to show me any story in which a 16 year old girl being executed in USA-UK-AUSTRALIA-CANADA or for that fact even India or show me any democratic country where they executed a 15 year old girl.

Veer Ji I don't want to offend anyone but the USA have executed teenagers until 2005.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/LAW/03/01/scotus.d...alty/index.html

"The high court in 1989 ruled the execution of 16- and 17-year old killers was allowable, but the issue in the current case was whether "evolving national standards" had prompted a new look at the divisive issue."

http://www.ukgaynews.org.uk/Archive/2005july/2702.htm

In fact USA executed more teenagers than Iran Veer Ji.

" Between January 1990 and this year, Amnesty International documented 42 executions of child offenders in eight countries – the Democratic Republic of Congo (one execution), Nigeria (1), Saudi Arabia (1), Yemen (1), China (2), Pakistan (3), Iran (14) and the USA (19)."

Every country as it's good and bad sides Veer ji. I am not taking sides I just think people should base themselves on facts.

stop denying the truth brother. it is not anti-islamic, but it is just showing that how some people are manipulating islam for their own benefits and it is telling you exactly what is happening in iran.

it is not saying woman's purpose in life is to raise more kids, but it is saying that women are inclined to be used as pleasure objects for their iranian husbands so that they dont get abused and this affects their health.

pls..stop denying the truth... these things dont happen in any other country.

the story of a 15 year old girl being executed..THAT SINGLE ONE STORY IS ENOUGH to prove that Iran is a no-go country. I challenge you to show me any story in which a 16 year old girl being executed in USA-UK-AUSTRALIA-CANADA or for that fact even India or show me any democratic country where they executed a 15 year old girl.

w-bol please try to understand that freedom does exist in Iran. Iran is a free country. In fact freedom does not exist in the Western countries that you love so much. Iran is the one and only place where the law and tradition of the Prophet Mohammed (PBUH) - who always acted with honour toward women - is observed in full. Iran formally recognises the ways of the Prophet (PBUH). I have already mentioned to you the institution of sigheh, which affords couples legal, financial and health protections for the duration of their unions. This is but one of many examples of the ways in which the dignity and honour of the human being is being preserved by the Islamic Republic of Iran which formally enshrines the way of life prescribed by the Prophet (PBUH).

Indeed, the teachings of the Prophet (PBUH), and his laws, are for the benefit of all mankind including yourself. You would do well to learn more about the life of the Prophet (PBUH), and to try to observe some of his teachings yourself, concerning the way in which women are to be regarded and treated. Have some respect please.. the teachings of the Prophet (PBUH) , who lived a faultless existence, exist for your benefit, so learn them and don't criticise them. The Iranian regime exists to advance the cause of the Prophet, for the greater benefit of people such as yourself who know no better than to indulge all manner of licentiousness in the name of 'freedom' which is no 'freedom' but rather a fraud that turns the free man into a slave and the human being into a depraved animal. Stop and consider the Holy Qu'ran, before you respond to this. Perhaps this is the time for you to read it for yourself..

So, please keep your opinions in perspective. We have already covered the ground of the 16-year old girl who was hanged, and your memory must be very short for this is the third time I am mentioning it. As Javanmard explained before you had him banned, the decision to hang this girl was reviewed both politically and judicially in a process instigated by Shirin Ebadi, a prominent human rights lawyer in Iran himself! So please stop your lies about the possibility of being persecuted for writing bad things about Iran, if you live in Iran. Shirin Ebadi has been a vocal advocate of human rights and is a fierce critic of the maverick judge who sentenced the girl.

Veer Ji I don't want to offend anyone but the USA have executed teenagers until 2005.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/LAW/03/01/scotus.d...alty/index.html

"The high court in 1989 ruled the execution of 16- and 17-year old killers was allowable, but the issue in the current case was whether "evolving national standards" had prompted a new look at the divisive issue."

http://www.ukgaynews.org.uk/Archive/2005july/2702.htm

In fact USA executed more teenagers than Iran Veer Ji.

" Between January 1990 and this year, Amnesty International documented 42 executions of child offenders in eight countries – the Democratic Republic of Congo (one execution), Nigeria (1), Saudi Arabia (1), Yemen (1), China (2), Pakistan (3), Iran (14) and the USA (19)."

Every country as it's good and bad sides Veer ji. I am not taking sides I just think people should base themselves on facts.

Dear Kavita Kaur Ji,

Teenagers might have been executed in USA-UK this could only be because they had commited some heavy crimes.

Here a 16 year old girl was executed only because she was in love with a boy and the moral police caught up on her. She was first jailed for a short-term then realised, second time jailed again and drugged and beaten by moral police and then realised, third time she was publically hanged. she was hoisted up using a crane infront of the public.

Wahegurubol wrote:

Dear Kavita Kaur Ji,

Teenagers might have been executed in USA-UK this could only be because they had commited some heavy crimes.

Here a 16 year old girl was executed only because she was in love with a boy and the moral police caught up on her. She was first jailed for a short-term then realised, second time jailed again and drugged and beaten by moral police and then realised, third time she was publically hanged. she was hoisted up using a crane infront of the public.

1. The real reason for her execution was that the judge did NOT apply the Iranian law. Under Iran's penal system only adults may be executed NOT minors. This is a very well known fact. The reason why the case was renowned in Iran is because the judge abused his position because he has links to Ahmadinejad. The reason for her execution was not her being in love with a boy. Loving someone is not a crime in Iran. The reason why se was executed is because she committed zinah. The problem is that the judge did not listen to her lawyers and social workers. That girl was a renowned social case and she should have received help which btw a lot of girls do receive in public institutions in Iran.

Veer ji you can't just take one case that was abusive and against Iranian law and say that it is regular practice in Iran. That is very much exagerated. I am not taking sides Veer Ji I am just putting things in perspective based on factual evidence.

2. Innocent teenagers have been the victims of police brutality in the USA and France. Many died at the hand of police.Others have been executed based on false charges or on exagerated verdicts. US also has its share of innocent victims. The picture you paint of Iran vs the West is too exagerated. Again I am not taking sides Veer Ji. Just stating facts.

Dear Kavita Kaur ji,

From what I can understand Zinah means to have sex before marriage, and from what I can understand that if she was not a child, she would have been then lawfully executed in Iran?

Dear Kavita Ji, first lets talk about Zinah in the light of Sikhism. I dont know but if you must have heard the story of a woman who was a prostitute and she too was forgiven by our Guru saab. Guru Saab themselves have written that story in SGGS, in which this prostitute begs for mukti and the Saints-Mahapursh who come to their home give her a parrot and tell her to make the parrot recite the name of the Lord every morning.

Then one morning as this prostitute is reciting the name of the Lord, a snake enters the cage and kills the parrot. She doesnt realise the parrot has died and puts her hand in the cage where the snake is sitting and she to dies while reciting the name of God.

In Gurmat... we dont punish anyone. We dont have any right to punish anyone for committing zinah or whatever it maybe. Only God decides what to do and what not to do. If God has mercy then even a person who does zinah can get mukti, as I have mentioned in the story above, which is in SGGS.

So if this girl committed Zinah, then why did they execute the girl alone, why didnt they execute all those men who committed zinah with her -including the moral police. Dont you think it is unfair that they executed the girl alone and didnt take any action on the men who took advantage of her.

If you can please take some time out and watch this vide on youtube. It will enlighten you more on the girl's case and the environment prevailing Iran.

Mistakes happen by everyone, but the Guru forgives, bcause that is what the Guru is for and this is why we say God is merciful and forgiving. So to execute someone and say that they will goto hell and bla bla ... is very cruel.

Please have a look at the video.

On August 15th, 2004 a 16-year-old girl was hanged in a public square in Neka, Iran. Her death sentence was for "acts incompatible w chastity". Her name was Atefah Rafavi Sahaaleh. The only evidence against Atefah was her own forced confession. Atefah railed against her judge in court for its unfairness, but this was her undoing. Judge Haji Rezai, who was also the local mullah, prosecutor and head of the city administration, personally obtained permission from Iran's Supreme Court to execute her, and put the noose around her neck himself before she was hoisted on a crane jib arm to her death.

Atefeh lost her mother in a car accident. Her father was a drug addict. At the age of 13, a 51 year old former government agent started molesting her. On the night of her wedding to a boy who loved her, she was taken by the authorites and soon after executed without knowledge of her family.

There are at least 81 other children facing execution in Iran. Sign the petition to stop child execution in Iran. Visit: www.stopchildexecutions.com.

The film clips are from a documentary film made by BB2 called "execution of a teenage girl" which can be viewed in full at : http://www.stopchildexecutions.com/mu...

NOW WHO WOULD WANT TO LIVE IN A COUNTRY THAT EXECUTE KIDS FOR ZINAH !

Veer Ji is you watch the movie correctly they clearly say that her execution and the verdict wer not legal. You make it look as if all people who have sex before marriage in Iran would be hanged and that's a lie. If Iran is such a dictatorship why is Shirin Ebadi still allowed to fight for women's rights?

Kavita ji, the fact that Shirin Ebadi is still fighting for women's rights and that such a tragedy happened with that lil 16 year old girl.. dont you think that these two facts are enough to make classify Iran as one of those "NO-GO" countries.

While i admit that a person like you and me can go and live there properly and come back safely, but life will not be the same as in a western country. Especially you will have to wear a veil there :)

A veil (hijab) is not a BURQA, so what's the problem?

Example of a BURQA (full face and body covering):

burqa_style_gowns_muslim_womens_apparel.jpg

Example of HIJAB:

hijab-demo-17jan04-741.jpg

Nice Photo :) I dont think there will be a problem wearing that Kavita Ji, by Iranian Law you would have to wear that if you want to travel. Would you like to wear it sister?

Veer Ji is you watch the movie correctly they clearly say that her execution and the verdict wer not legal. You make it look as if all people who have sex before marriage in Iran would be hanged and that's a lie. If Iran is such a dictatorship why is Shirin Ebadi still allowed to fight for women's rights?

The reason that Shirin Ebadi is tolerated is because she is working within the system. She understands the restrictions that Islam has placed on her and she is working within the Islamic system to gain what little human rights women have.

The curious thing is that the majority of Iranians that I have met are extremely anti-Islam. The more intellectual have totally moved away from Islam are they regard Iranian culture as far superior to the Islamic culture imposed by the Arabs. Quite a few of the apostate Muslim organisations that have been formed in the West are headed mainly by Iranians although they include apostate Muslims from all backgrounds. Iran may have had a glorious past but that was ended when the Arabs defeated the Persians in the 7th century. After that although the Iranian intellect was used to further the Islamic agenda and later the Shia philosophy, Iranian have never reached the zenith they did before Islam and they never will, well maybe if they rid themselves of Islam.

The rosy image of Islam being painted here by Singho (Curious name for a Shia Muslim) is totally at odds to what is happening in Iran. The Majority of people hate the Mullahs and their theocratic rule.

Please note Singho that Singh is not a farsi word. It comes from the sanskrit Sinh meaning Lion. Don't you just love this 'everything was invented in Iran' reminds of that guy in goodness gracious me who claims that everything and everyone is an Indian. I wonder when the Singho will claim that Mohammed was a Persian or maybe he had a Persian grandmother or something like that, certainly enough for if Mohammed was alive today he would be eligible to play for the Iranian national team!

Kavita, don't listen to that idiot. What the ladies are wearing in the second picture, NOT the first, is a 'veil' or a 'hijab'. In Iran you do NOT have to have that green suit with face and body covering.

The ladies in the second picture are fighting FOR their right to wear hijab. It is their culture and belief. Iran will protect their right to wear the hijab.

Kavita, don't listen to that idiot. What the ladies are wearing in the second picture, NOT the first, is a 'veil' or a 'hijab'. In Iran you do NOT have to have that green suit with face and body covering.

The ladies in the second picture are fighting FOR their right to wear hijab. It is their culture and belief. Iran will protect their right to wear the hijab.

I applaud those who fight for the right to practice their belief. In a similar vein can I expect you to support the right of non-Muslims such as Jew, Christians, Hindus and Sikhs to be able to build their respective places of worship in Saudi Arabia. Perhaps even allows them to carry the Torah, Bible or a Gutka in their hands without it being confiscated?

I mean a person would be a shameless hypocrite to expect rights in another persons country that he would not give to those people in his own country.. am I right?

w-bol please try to understand that freedom does exist in Iran. Iran is a free country. In fact freedom does not exist in the Western countries that you love so much. Iran is the one and only place where the law and tradition of the Prophet Mohammed (PBUH) - who always acted with honour toward women - is observed in full. Iran formally recognises the ways of the Prophet (PBUH). I have already mentioned to you the institution of sigheh, which affords couples legal, financial and health protections for the duration of their unions. This is but one of many examples of the ways in which the dignity and honour of the human being is being preserved by the Islamic Republic of Iran which formally enshrines the way of life prescribed by the Prophet (PBUH).

Indeed, the teachings of the Prophet (PBUH), and his laws, are for the benefit of all mankind including yourself. You would do well to learn more about the life of the Prophet (PBUH), and to try to observe some of his teachings yourself, concerning the way in which women are to be regarded and treated. Have some respect please.. the teachings of the Prophet (PBUH) , who lived a faultless existence, exist for your benefit, so learn them and don't criticise them. The Iranian regime exists to advance the cause of the Prophet, for the greater benefit of people such as yourself who know no better than to indulge all manner of licentiousness in the name of 'freedom' which is no 'freedom' but rather a fraud that turns the free man into a slave and the human being into a depraved animal. Stop and consider the Holy Qu'ran, before you respond to this. Perhaps this is the time for you to read it for yourself..

So, please keep your opinions in perspective. We have already covered the ground of the 16-year old girl who was hanged, and your memory must be very short for this is the third time I am mentioning it. As Javanmard explained before you had him banned, the decision to hang this girl was reviewed both politically and judicially in a process instigated by Shirin Ebadi, a prominent human rights lawyer in Iran himself! So please stop your lies about the possibility of being persecuted for writing bad things about Iran, if you live in Iran. Shirin Ebadi has been a vocal advocate of human rights and is a fierce critic of the maverick judge who sentenced the girl.

Sorry bruv but Mohammed's law aren't applicable to me and I wouldn't want to live under them. You may choose to live under them and that is your choice but please do not try and make they applicable to us just because the Guru Granth Sahib doesn't have a verse about how to deal with prostitution. It's a book of spiritual effort aimed as a guide to those who want to unite with the infinite. Its not a book of do and don'ts and certainly not like the Hadiths which seems to have been written by and I;m sure you will allow me to be blunt by someone with a obsessive compulsive disorder especailly the rules of going for a dump and what verse to use when entering and exiting the bog! Yes, Islam has one over on Sikhi because the Gurus and none of their followers sat down and thought what would the Sikhs in future generations be worried about.. spiritual effort towards the ultimate goal of humanity or what applicable legislation should be used against Belle De Jour down the road!

Veer Ji I really don't know what your problem is with hijab. Don't the rahitname insist on Sikh women wearing a dupatta to cover their hair. As an amritdhari woman I take great pride in covering my head. It is a sign of modesty and true beauty and I get respected for my work not my appearance. Also Saudi Arabia and Iran have different regimes. Iran as more religious freedom. My dad told me you can see churches and synagogues in Tehran and loads of young people wear the fravahar although they're not Zoroastrians. In any case I trust my parents. If my mother tells me Iran is the safest place she's ever been I believe her first as a woman.