Relevant texts on this topic:

Thoughts in time of Death

http://www.sikhawareness.com/sikhawareness...topic.php?t=741

JAAM MARG (Life After Death)

http://www.sikhawareness.com/sikhawareness...php?p=2808#2808

--------------------------

Chapter-10

Reincarnation

The Indian Relegions not only beleive in reincarnation, they also beleive in transmigration. There is a firm beleif amongst the Sikhs that the advanced souls incarnate again and again for the welfare of humanity. In one of hymns, Guru Arjan Dev says

O Lord! Thy saints are fortunate, who have the wealth of Lord's Name

Their Coming has the Lord's approval and their action are fruitful

O my Lord! I am a sacrifice to this God-Man

Waving my hair as whisk over them,

I apply their feet-dust on my face

Being above birth and death, these philanthropists have come.

They give spirtual life and devotion and enable men to meet God

Their Commoand and Kingdom are true, being absorbed in True Lord

Their Hapiness and praises are true, they know Him, Whom they belong

I wave fan and bring water for them and grind corn for this God-Man

I supplicate to the lord to bless me with the sight of these man, saith Nanak (Suhi M 5, Page-748-49) (SGGS)

Such sacrificing souls came for the welfare of humanity. They are ever "Jivan Muktas". They are sent to the world to perform the acts of amelioration and redemption of others, who are entrapped in the fearful sea of existence. The Gurus, great saints and person of heightned states of consciousness come in the category. Such people are clairvoyants. Their third eye(Dasama Dwar) remains open and they can observe the past, present and future of the individuals, who come to them. When we study the lives of the Sikh Gurus, we come across several incidents, in which the past lives and coming lives of the disciples have been mentioned.

Guru Gobind singh, in his autobiography, entitled "Apni Katha" in the beginning of "Bachittar Natak" in the Dasam Granth has made a mention of his previous life, when he was busy in contemplation on Lord-God at Hemkunt Sahib, he was Commanded by the Non-Temporal Lord to take birth on the earth for welfare of humanity. During his lifetime, he created Khalsa and on several occasions, he predicted the next life of some of his beloved Sikhs. One day he went to the village "Awal Kehri", where old lady recogninsing him caught hold of his horse and requested him to bless her with some service. She said, "O True King! Have something to eat." The Guru signed her to bring whatever she wanted to serve. The old man bought a great pitcher full of milk, which was quaffed by all the Sikhs present there. Then the sikhs asked, "We have seen such a great faith of this old woman." The guru then said, addressing Bhai Udai Singh, "She will give birth to an adept; "She will be born in the house of jat, then name of her son will be Jaman Jati". Then Udhai Singh asked, "Where is he now ?" The Guru said silently, "Fateh Singh will go there; this will be according to the will of God." Then Udhai Singh asked in wonder."Tell me about my future". The Guru said, "You will be the Chief of the Sikhs for four times and on the firth time, when the eighteen century Hijiri will have passed 80 years forward, when the english will be gone for the last time and when he will be born as the son of an Aalmi Rajput, he will come for the support of the Khalsa." The reader can see from this anecdote that the next birth of the old woman with her son Jaman jati and the five coming births of Bhai Udhai Singh have been foretold. It will be quite interesting to note that Jaman jati actually took birth and was the founder of the Islamic Sect "Malangs". It may be seen in the entry entiltled "Malang" in the dictionary of Islam by Thomas Patrick Hughes.

There are some relegions, like islam, which do not beleive in the soul's journey beyond the grave, therefore the concept of "reincarnation" is irrelevant to them. But the rationalists amongst them are beginnning to accept those cases, the mind of the budding child. The case of such a child is suggestive of reincrantion. A good deal of investigation has that in the case of violent deaths, the distinct memories are carried from one life to another. The strong impressions are not only left on the souls, but on their boddies which carry the mark also of fatal wounds.

The idea of reincarnation was made widely known in the Western world by the Theosophical soceity by Madame Blavatsky and Colonel Olcott in the second half of the nineteenth century. Madame Blavtsky produced her remarkable work entitled The secret Docrine, which was published in 1888. She wrote this world in a heightned state of consciousness. Theosophy was further popularised by Annie Besant, C.W Leadbeater, jinarajdasa and others. In his work entitled The soul's Growth Through Reincarnation, C.W Leadbeater has described succesive incarnation of a most recent birth was that of John Varley, an English landscape-painter and who was a disciple of Madama Blavatsky. Leaderbeater has mentioned seveteen of his lives, in which he was born as a men ten times and as a woman seven times. At one time he was a Chinese, at another an Indian, then a European, then a Japanese, then a Eskimo, then a South American and then an Egyptioan. At one time he was a inhabitant of the sugmerged continent of Atlantic.

His very first life mentioned by Leadbeater was in Chaldea in 19,245 BC. The average length of each life was 55 and half years and the average period between each incarnation was 1264 Years. It is, off course, a very interesting study.

It is not neccesary that a man may remain a man in his next life, he can become a woman and a woman may become man in her next life, if the karmic influences demand it. Of course, we dont find such examples in the blessings of the Gurus in Sikh Relegion. However, it ias emphatically recorded in the Sikh Scripture:

Such is our Lord-God, who turns a woman into a man and a man into a woman

Kabir Says that god is the Beloved of his Saints and I am a Scarifice to him

(Sarang Kabir,p 1252) (SGGS)

It is also recorded in the hymn of the Maharasthrian saint Trilochan that a man, who remembers a woman at the time of his death, his is born as a prostitue. (Gujri Tricholan, P 526) (SGGS)

The journey of the soul is endless, unless one gets emancipated. The chain of the lives of a soul continues and it is said that the soul gets further oppurtunities for its growth in its various incarnations. This world is testing group for the soul, wherin new relations are created and the individual becomes an actors in various plays. Guru Nanak Dev ji has beautifully depicted this journey of the soul in the following verses:

After union, the separation comes and after separation the union. After living the span of life, the death comes and after death the life. He becomes the father of many and the son of many, the disciple and preceptor of many. Their lives in the past and future are countless. Nothing is known what was in the past and what will be be in the future? (Salok M.1. P 1238) (SGGS)

In the book entilted Past lives, Future lives, published by Tudy Piaktus Ltd (5. Windmill Street, London WIP IHP) Jenny cockell narrates her personal expereinces. Her story is believed to be one of the most powerful proofs to the existence of "reincarnation". She had memories of her past lives as well as premonitory dreams and waking glimpses of the future since her early chidlhood. One of her past lives particulary haunted her. It was as Mary Suttons, who died after the delivery of her eight child in Dublin Hospital. In another book of her entiltled Yesterday Children, she has described the story of her search for Mary Sutton's family, when she was actually able to trace and meet some of her children from whom she had parted at the time of death.

-----------

Thats the whole chapter guys. There are 13 chapers of this great book "Death and After" by Surinder singh kohli. This one was Tenth Chapter. I ll try to type the down all the chapters if maharaj gave me blessings with an month.

You can buy it any sikh store. That book cost me only 3 dollars but it soo much enchanced my understanding life after death. Highly Recommended!!!

Here is the content of the book

Chapter 1- The Mystery of Death and Life After Death

Chapter 2- The Visible Death

Chapter 3- The Time of the Death

Chapter 4- Elegies

Chapter 5- Messages of Death

Chapter 6- Yama- The God Of Death

Chapter 7- The Path of Yama And The City of Yama

Chapter 8- Disposal Of the Dead

Chapter 9- Heaven and Hell

Chapter 10- Reincarnation

Chapter 11- Karma and Transmigration

Chapter 12- Near-Death Expereince

Chapter 13- Out of Body Experience

-Miscellaneous

Let me know the feedback. If people really like it then i ll try to post more chapters as soon as possible.

Chapter-12

Near-Death Expereinces

The phenomenon of life is amazing. The seed of human being is in a drop of semen of the male parent, which mixing with the blood of the female parent within the womb, causes the conception. The woman conceives and the embryo develops in the womb in the form of a human body.

The abdominal fire gives it due heat for growth. (SRI RAGA M:1, P,63). It stays there from nine to ten months to ripen, but after this period, he comes of that fire-zone and enters another fire-zone known as the world of Maya, in which we live. (Ramkali, M 3, Anand P, 921). Within the womb of the mother it is supsended upside down and in a state of meditation on the lord. It is absorbed in prayer for its release from that fire. It is quite naked in that state and when it is released from that it comes in the world quite naked and ultimately when it dies, it will go away naked. (SRI RAGA M. 1, PEHRA, P-74)

If everything goes alright, the life develops in the world of maya and the physical development is seen with our physical eyes. The baby with its tiny limbs grows into the full-fledged human being with the passage of time, just like a little sproute developing into a huge tree. The roots make the trees stand firm at its place, but the human being has been given power to move from one place to another with it legs. He is provided with sense-organs of perception and five organs of action. He has eyes to see, ears to hear, nose to smell, tongue to taste and skin to touch. He has the feet to walk, the hands to work, the mouth to speak alongwith two organs of creation and elimination (Gauri M. 5. P236)

The baby sucks milk from the teats of the mother and grows. It is provided with the mental pwoer and mind. It gradually gets the reconginiton of both the parents, who were responsible for its birth. It begins to express its feeling of satisfcation and disatisfaction,' of pleasure and pain by giving smiles and crying. Then the faculty of speech comes into action and words "Dad" and "Mum" are uttered. The baby grows into a child, when the feeeling of love and hate become manifest, the taste for various relishes begins to develop. It is followed by a period of learning and adopting the path for leading the life. Then the sexual urgues arise, when the early period of life ends and the stage of youthhood comes. There is a attraction of opposite sex and the family life begins. This is a very important phase of life wherein one is confronted with innumerable problems of live, performing good or bad functions and undergoing the resultant pleasures or pains. After passing through the life of labour and industry and fullfilling the needs and wishes of his progeny, he becomes tired. His body loses its strength, his hair turn grey and finding no good responses from the members of his family, the anger seizes him, which reduces him further. He becomes bed-ridden and gasps for breaths and ultimately that time comes, when he has o leave this world (Majh, M, 1, P. 138)

The above description of the span of live has been given just to bring home to the reader that all this life is imprinted on the mind of the being like a film, which unfolds itself in full, at the time of death, so that he may be able to know what good or bad deeds he has commited, which has been recorded by the scribes attending upon him. His whole life had been scruntinised. Kabir says.

You should die in shame when you say that this is my house, because nothing belongs to you at the time of the death (Gauri Kabir, P. 325)

He says again:

Someone has amassed his wealth of five lakhs(half an million) the time of death his mettalic pitcher lies broken (Gauri Kabir, p- 337)

At another place he says:

O stray mind! Do not be fradulent, this will reflect on you at the time of death (Sorath Kabir P. 656)

According to Guru arjan dev:

The sons, wife and all other men and women of the household- all these are the relatives for the sake of Maya and at the time of death, no one from them will stand there to save you; all these are false relations

(Soorah M 5 P 609)

Guru Tegh Bahudar says:

Such like conduct has become apparent in the world that with whomsoever you have exhibitted your affection none of them has been helpful except Lord-God at the time of death (Soorah M.9. P-634)

He says again:

Forsake all the illusions and remember the name of the lord, only this one will accompany you at the time of death (Jaijawanti M.9, P-1352)

Death is great mystery. The sages have tried to speak about it in signs and symbols. Several investigations have been made about the near-death expereinces. Only those people could say something, whose souls after leaving their bodies had risen far above because of some grievous accident or ailment, but had to come back suddenly on being treated in the clinics, they could recollect and related nature and also indentical to the great extent. According to the expereinces of such floating souls, there was a definite path and the soul could easily cross the space through pitch about it at another place, but now i want to narrate my personal expereince about my very close dying relatives while standing by their bed-side.

Three cases of Near-Death Expereince

1. The very first family death that I have seen , was that of my eldesh brother, who passed away in a hospital in sadar area in Rawalpindi, now in pakistan. He was an earning member of our family and had contracted the disease called "elephantina" in Madras, where he was serving in a Sports company. We lived in a village in Rawalpindi district, where no special medical facilities were available, hence he was brought from Madras and admitted in a hospital in Rawalpindi. He was merely twenty-six at that time, And I, his yougest brother, only about twelve years old. A few months had passed in his treatment. I still very clearly remembered, it was the evening of 24 dec, 1931. A slight improvment had been noticed in his illness for the last few days, but there was a sudden deterioration. One of his legs, which had swollen out of proportion, and from whose small eruptions, the watery liquid had been oozing out, on that very day it was noticed that instead of watery liquid, the blood oozed out and it was considered inaspicious. Whereheas earlier he had been having a very controlled speach, it faltered as he talked with the mother but still controlling himself he said "I am alright". Though i was very young and could not understand this strange suitation. For a while he began constantly in a particular direction, where nothing was visible to me, My mother called upon him, "O dear son ! What are you feeling? " To this query, he still gathering his strength, said, " O mother, I am alright." But still he mumbled. His speech faltered and kept his constant gaze in a particular direction. At this point said "I am innocent, I am innocent" I could not understand anything, but my mother realised that this was the final hour of her son. All of us had been keeping calm, but my mother at that time shouted thrice. "Dear son! I bestow on you the mother's milk. " At this point I noted that my brother was gasping for breath and pupils of his half-open and half-closed eyes kept moving constantly from right to left and from left to right till ultimately they stopped moving and the breathing also stopped. This was end of life. The eyes were then closed by the attending Doctor.

2. The second case of the near-death expereince was that of my mother, who was confinsed to bed on the break of her privot-done of the left leg, which at her age, could not be set right. We were at that time living at Mehrauli, a suburb of Delhi. I was a teacher of University Of Delhi and had recently been awarded in PH.D for my research- work on the Sikh Scripture. I had to go very often to attend to Univerisity work and whenever I went, I asked the premession of my ailing mother. One day when I asked her permission to leave, she said, "You are always taken aback and asked her why she was saying so. She said, "All my dead relatives have gathered around me and this is a sure sign of my leaving." But though unwillingly, I had to go and on my return I found she was in coma and my neice was reciting "Sukhmani Sahib" (Psalm Of Peace) by her besided. She was out of breath and after a short time she passed away. This occured on 21st june, 1959.

3. My third case of near-death expereince was that of my father. I was then the proffesor and Head of the department of Punjab at Punjab University, Chandigargh. During the stormy night, his foot slipped and he fell down. On this fall, his hipbone was fractured. For a few days, he remained admitted in Post-Graduate Medical Institute, but there was no improvment. Ultimately he was removed to the University Bungalow, where his condition further deteriorated. One day, when I was not at home, he shouted very loudly according to my wife, calling me by name and saying. "They have come, they have come, do whatever you can". After that he kept staring in one direction and when i wanted to give him something to eat, he moved forcibly his right-hand finger as though asking not to disturb him.After that he went into coma and breathed his last.

We can deduce some facts from the above-mentioned three examples of "near death expereince":

1. That nearing the time of death, one finds himself face to face with some appartions and his gaze is attracted towards them; there might be the filming of his whole life before him/her and line of disctinction being drawn between his good and bad deeds.

2. That many relatives, freinds and close acquaintances also appear before him just to welcome him in the world beyond death.

3. That the dying man may be awaiting for some decision regarding his future existence. He may be declared as sinful or innocent.

But none can save the dying person from the strong hands of the messengers of death, though he may repetedly reqest them for some more time to finish his remaining errands. One can never know the exact time, when the death will pounce upon him. Sheik Farid has given a metaphorical description about it: He says:

On the bank of a stream, a crane is sittin and absorbed in his frolics. But suddently, the falcon coming on the commond of Lord-God, all the sports of the crane are forgotten. Whatever we haev not even though of, they are doings for Lord-God (Salok Farid, p 1383)

The man of the world is horrified on this sudden call, because all his plans and aspiriations are shattered. He cannot pursue even his work in hand. Kabir has depicted this scene in the following manner:

The time of service of life has ended. Now, you will have to present your accounts. The merciless messengers of Yama (Death) have come to take you away. What have you gained and what have you lost? Go with us immediately, in this very condition, because you have been called in Court. Such are the orders from the Court of Lord-God. I pray that still there are some villages, from which I have to collect the donations, and this work I shall finish this very night. I shall also bear some of your expenses. I shall offer my Prayers to the Lord in the morning at the wayside-inn (Suhi Kabir. p-792)

This shows that the main is bound by his mental impressions and does not want to leave the world and makes supplication for the grant of some more time to stay in the world.

When one feels horified at the time of death, he shouts and calls for help. A typical example from mythology is a quoted hereunder from the Vars of Bhai Gurdas:

"The sinner Ajamal lived with a prostitue in sin. He became impertinent to Guru, commited his sings and was swayed by vicious intellect. He wasted his birth and moved within the terrible sea of existence. By the prostitue, he had six sons and thus earned the fruit of his sins. His seventh son was born and he became enthustaic to perform his naming ceremony. He went to adobe of the Guru, where the Guruward named his Narayan. At deathbed, seeing the messengers of Yama(Death), he cried in fear for the son Narayan. The death's messengers were ousted by the angels and he went to heaven without punishemtn. By remembering the Name of the lord, his suffering ended."

The reader can realise from this example that the remembrance of the Name of the God at the time of death is greatly meritiourious and rewarding. The same thing has been said by the Saint Tricholan:

He, who remembers the Name of the Lord at the time of death, Tricholan says that person is redeemed and the Lord resides in his heart. (Gujri Tricholan, p-526)

According to the saint, any other wordly wishes are responsible for the transmigration of the person in other suitable species. He is of the view:

That one who remembers mammon at the time of death, he is born as a sanke, he, who remembers a woman at the time of death, is born as a prostitue, he, remembers the child at the time of death, he is born as a pig and he, who remembers the mansions at the time of death, he is born as a ghost.

Chapter-13

Out Of Body Expereinces

The word "Pavaar" which occurs in "Majh Ki var" of Guroo Nanak Dev, pertains to out of body expereinces. In one of his saloks, it is written:

Chauthai aaee ungh akkhin meet pavaar giaaa

Bhi uth rachion vaad sai Varhian Ki pir badhi

"In the fourth watch of the night, he undergoes drowsiness and while closing his eyes, his soul expereinces an outing, but when comes back, it is engaged in strife as though he will live for a hundred years" (Var Majh M.1.P-146)

In this Salok four watches of the night have been depicted. In the first watch, the man makes most of his life, meditating and doing everything at the right time. In the second watch he is entrapped in many wordly problems, from which it becomes difficult to withdraw. In the third watch, he attends mainly to his physical needs and remains absorbed in various relishes and tastes. In the fourth watch, as mentioned above, his soul wanders, dreaming for a life of hundred years. But if in all the eight watches of the night and the day, he remains in the fear of the Lord, his mind also remains controlled.

I clearly remember that in one of the localities of Rawalpindi, there two lived men of the same name and of the nearly the same age. One of them was seized by the messengers of Yama on a particular day. Though he remained in coma for some time, he did not breathe his last. After few hours he regained his senses and the other man of the same name died that evening. The man who regained his senses had undergone an out of body expereince. We know that very ofteh mistakes are committed by human beings, but the above example shows that such mistakes are also committed by the messengers of Yama. Though I could not personally meet the person, who become alive after have been reported as dead, I have been able to glance through some of the literature published in this connection wherein various types of expereinces havee been mentioned.

The "Out of the Body Expereince" cannot be said to be indentical with a dream. In a dream, there is a movement like the living world, but on waking one finds that whatever he had seen was not real. According to the saint Ravidas, a king slept in his bed and in his dream, he became a beggar, even being a king himself and separated from kingship during his dream, he was in great suffering. But on waking he found that it was an illustion like considering a rope as a snake in the darkness. But the reality does not emerge from a dream-expereince, though it is often said that the several impressions gained in day-to-day life are jumbled together in a dream. But when a man comes back from the "out of the body expereince", he always thinks that it was entirely real and no part of it was unreal. It was not a merely imagination, but a projection of the astral body.

It is also said that there are certain drugs and bevarages which can cause an "out of body expereince". But it seems unlikely that such drugs can have any effect on the astral body. According to the Sikh Scripture, as ecstatic state said to be arise with the use of drugs and beverages, is a misnomer, because they merely push the body to the state of insanity with no spirtual gain. The spirtual concentration comes only with the absorption in the Name of the Lord. The divine ambrosia trickles and the unstruck melody resounds only in a body steeped in contemplation on Name, when there is awakened the discriminating intellect.

Though I have never expereinced an out of body excursion of the astral body, I clearly remember a dream in which I found my astral body floating at some height, lookin at my dead body down below, surronded by numberless people paying homage to it. It was the body of some noteworthy Mahant, of whom i have no cognizance in my present life. It was a queer expereince. Was it only a dream with no reality of its own or was it a projection of my astral body of some previous birth??

The Knot

The astral body and the physical body are united together with a cord in a knot (Gandh or Gaanth). which is variously called as the "silver cord" or "the cord of light" or eevn as the "the golden thread". This cord links the soul with the body in a knot in the very beginning of their connection. As long as this knot is there, there is life in the body and whenever the knot is opened, the soul-bird flies away and the body become lifeless. Even if the astral body comes out of the physical body on account of an acciden or otherwise, if the physical body has to remain alive and the soul's worldly errand is not a complete as yet, the cord linkage remains intact. The cord is flexible and is able to cover any distance in its errand. The Indian mystics, Saints and Sufis have made a mentioned of this cord in their verses. At the time of death, this cord-knot is opened by the messengers of Yama. Guru Nanak Dev says:

The knot has been opened, get up

the written order has come (Tukmari M.1. P.1110)

According to Guroo Arjan Dev:

Nanak saith: O ignorant one! Think over it,

to-day or to-morrow, your knot is about to open (Sarang M.5 p.1216)

This know is also called paranan di gandh (the knot of breaths or the knot of life)

The Expereince

In the "out of the body expereince", the astral body of the person leaves the physical body and generally floats near the ceiling and looks down upon his physical body, then he enters a dark tunnel, at the end of which there is a light, which is very bright light. Here he meets a being of light. At this point there is a barrier. Only they can cross the barried who have died, but the person of the "out of body expereince" cannot cross this point. One can have a look of the country beyond the barrier, who beauty if said to be indescribable. One may see here the waving dead relatives. The person does not want to return, but the person has to return, because he has still time to perform worldly errands. Such is said to be the expereince of this person.

• 2 weeks later...

Another awesome encounter of Near-Death Expereince. This one is detailed:

source: http://www.beyondtheveil.net/nde.html

That summer in 1971, I was with my husband and children in the mountains of northern Georgia while he was working with the camera crew of the movie "Deliverance." On weekends, some of the cast and crew and their families would take the rafts out on the river for a little R&R. They filmed on the same part of the Chatahootchie River we rafted on and, of the eight of us on this particular Sunday afternoon, four of us, including myself, had rafted down this stretch before.

But the river was different this time. Low, from several days of no rain; different paths had to be taken through the many rapids.

On the last set of rapids, we made an almost fatal mistake. The raft I was in got turned around, went over a four foot drop backwards, and became stuck there by the churning action of the water.

The raft was trapped in a hydraulic, a white-water phenomena, which held the raft against the rocks. I was thrown out and got caught between the raft and the rocks, with the force of the river pouring down on my head and the suction of the hydraulic motion pulling me under. A man inside the raft held my arm and tried to pull me back into the raft, but the most he could do was enable me to catch an occasional quick breath before the water sucked me back down. I was stuck between a rock and a hard place!

Very consciously and calmly, I knew I was going to die, it was just a matter of how. Being smashed into the rocks was painful, so I decided drowning was the better choice. The next time my head popped out of the water, with my last breath, I told him to let go and he did. I felt the water pull me under and I relaxed into it. I knew there was no point in struggling as I breathed in the water, and everything went black. For a moment...

The next thing I knew I was a hundred feet above the river, looking down at the raft stuck against the rocks below. I saw the two men in the raft looking for me to come out from underneath. I saw the other woman, who had been in our raft, downstream, clinging to a rock. I watched my husband and my teenage sister, who had rafted, without incident, down the rapids ahead of us, come running back up the hill to find out why all the debris was floating down the river. We had taken everything out of their raft and put it into ours in case they flipped over, but they went down so easily, we just jumped in to follow them down.

From above, I watched my husband climb onto a rock in the river. He couldn't hear what the two men still in the raft were shouting to him over the roar of the water. He had no idea where I was or what had happened, but he knew I was missing. He looked as if he wanted to jump in to try to find me and I suddenly found myself at his side, trying to stop him because he wasn't much of a swimmer and I knew there was no point. When I reached out to stop him, my hand went right through him. I looked at my hand and thought... oh, my god, I'm dead!

In that instant, total knowledge of reality appeared to me and I saw the mutil-dimensionality of the universe. My consciousness expanded so far beyond the physical plane that I was no longer aware of it, nor of my self. I was so much a part of it all, there was no distinction. It was a brilliant flash of light and I was allowed to see into it for a brief moment and experience a feeling of love so profound, powerful and overwhelming that I can only describe it as pure Bliss (even though that doesn't begin to describe it).

And, suddenly, I was whisked away and found myself traveling rapidly through a vortex toward a beautiful white light in the far, far distance. I continued to experience an overwhelming feeling of love within me and around me. There was no fear, no anxiety, no worry. I even felt as if I'd done this before and was remembering that I was going home. I was filled with joy. I had no sense of a body, no feeling of limitations or boundaries. Yet, I was still me and aware that I was having this experience.

Before long, I realized I wasn't alone. There was someone, whom I can only describe as a Loving Being of Light, traveling beside me... at the speed of light! We communicated mentally. This was someone I have always known and I knew that as soon as I sensed the presence of this being. Yet I cannot now tell you now who it was. I didn't have the sense that it was any familiar religious figure or deceased relative, but rather a special friend who is always with me wherever I am; perhaps, my guardian angel. This Being told me telepathically that I had a choice about going back. I thought, no, no, no, I want this to go on forever!

Suddenly, we burst into the light and a whole new reality was revealed to me, similar to the physical world, but, in this higher vibration, more colorful, more beautiful, more amazing. I saw plants, trees, mountains, lakes, animals, and shimmering crystal-like buildings, some very large and ornate. I saw beings moving about, light beings, going about their daily lives. They don't have physical bodies, but they are distinct fields of energy. They don't walk, they float. They have lives much like ours, but without the struggles and sorrows. They are artists, musicians, dancers, singers, inventors, builders, healers, creators of magical things... things they will manifest in their next lifetime in the physical universe.

Again, the Being of Light told me it was my choice to stay or go, but that there was more for me to do in that life and it wasn't quite time for me to leave. Still hesitating, I was told that if I chose to go back, I would be given certain knowledge to take back with me to share with others. After much discussion, I agreed to go back and suddenly found myself in front of a tall cone-shaped building; so tall, it seemed to go on forever. I was told this was the Hall of Knowledge. I entered the building and flew, spiraling upwards, through what appeared to be shelves of books, like in a library, many millions of books, and I flew through them all. When I reached the top, I burst through it into a kaleidoscope of colors and, at the same time, my head popped out of the water. I was down river about 10 yards from the raft.

I immediately became aware of where I was and grabbed for the nearest rock. I was able to pull myself up and I coughed up a lot of water. I was in a state of shock, but needed no medical attention. I don't know how long I was under the raft, no one was looking at their watch at the time. It could have been 3 or 4 minutes, it could have been ten. There was no time where I had been.

I can't say that I was clinically dead, but I have no memory of struggling under the water or trying to hold my breath till I reached the surface. (I've been a swimmer, water skier, scuba diver, and surfer, so I've had plenty of close calls under water before when I thought I might die, but nothing like this. These other times I remember perfectly well struggling to reach the surface, my lungs about to burst.) What I do remember during the time my body was in the water under the raft is what I have told you.

I walked around in shock for months afterwards, not knowing how to describe my experience nor integrate it into my life. When I did try to tell someone what I experienced, I was patted on the head and told to forget it, that I was lucky to be alive. It wasn't until 15 or so years later that I picked up a book in a Light Center by Ruth Montgomery which described my experience and I finally knew that I wasn't alone... or crazy.

My life changed immediately and drastically after that day in the river and I went through some very tough times, including a divorce, custody battles, trying to find a job after not working for almost ten years, being single again, depression and suicidal thoughts. This led me on a long, winding path, becoming a seeker of my higher purpose. I knew what my purpose was on the other side, but, once back in body, it was a mystery to me. I went back to school at age 37 and got a BA and MS in psychology and have been a counselor for many years. In school, I realized the significance of the library I flew through during my NDE. All the books I studied from, it was as if I had read them already, and had no trouble making the Dean's List, in spite of working full time and raising three teenagers as a single mother.

I began my metaphysical studies after graduation, reading every metaphysical, religious and spiritual book I could get my hands on, and talked with many teachers and gurus over the years. I began meditating a few years after my NDE, mainly to deal with stress, but eventually learned to reach and maintain a higher level of consciousness in every day life. I became an ordained minister and a spiritual counselor, and earned another master's degree in Clinical Hypnotherapy, which lead me to past-life regression as a therapy. My education continues to this day.

My purpose for coming back manifested in writing a book in 1992, called Through the Tunnel, and I was a Hospice volunteer for many years. I'm developing a course for people who wish to work with the dying as Transition Specialists or Guides. I recently completed a screenplay entitled "Journey into the Light" about two people who have NDEs and how it changes their lives. I began this web site in 1996 and continue my path of service through it for seekers of Light.

I look forward to the glorious experience of returning home when my work here is finished, but I'm not in any hurry. I still have a lot to do here on earth before it's time to leave this body and continue my education and development on the other side.

If you have had a near death experience or similar mystical experience, I would love to hear from you by email.

I invite visitors to write comments in my guest book. If you would like to be notified when this site is updated, join my mailing list by sending email (Subject: Mail List).

© 1996 Diane Goble

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ken Ring (Lessons From the Light) describes interviews with several near-death experiencers, and presents twelve insights that sum up their new attitude, proposing that, if you were actually to live by them, you would become a truly free person:

1. There is a reason for everything that happens.

2. Find your own purpose in life.

3. Do not be a slave to time.

4. Appreciate things for what they are.

5. Do not allow yourself to be dominated by the thoughts or expectations of others.

6. Do not be concerned with what others think of you.

7. Remember, you are not your body.

8. Don't fear pain or death.

9. Be open to life and live it to its fullest.

10. Money and material things are not particularly important in the scheme of things.

11. Helping others is what counts in life.

12. Do not trouble yourself with competition - just enjoy the show.

Chapter 5-Messages of Death

Every mortal, who is born, has a fixed time of death. Every moment that passes, brings the death nearer. This makes it quite clear that every moment gives the message of impending death and makes one cautious about his duties towards the self, the humanity at large and the Creator.

Sheik Farid has said:

O Farid! The call is coming

do not tarry to get robbed (Salok Farid, P.1337)

Though the time of death is quite uncertain and it may come at any time in life like chopping of plants, the mature as well as immature, at the time of harvesting, still the coming of old age is considered a sure sign of the coming death.

Old Age

Guru Nanak Dev has depicted the old age in the following manner:

On becoming old, the youth and body pine away, the throat is choked by phelgm and the water flous down the eyes. The feet lose their walking power and the hands begin to tremble, but still the mammon-worshipper does not enshrine Lord-God in his heart. The awareness is lost, the black hair turn white and none likes to keep him at home...... (Maru M.1 p.1014 SGGS)

There are several Salokas of Sheikh Farid, in which he portays the old age as the signal of impending death:

Look Farid! What has happened, the beard has turned grey, the end of life is coming near and the past life is left behind (Salok 9. p-1378)

O Farid! The eyes with continued seeing have become weak and the ears with continued hearing have been losing the power of hearing- The bough of body, becoming ripe is changing its colour. (Salok 11. p-1378)

O Farid! Those who have not absorbed themselves in the Love of the Lord, when their hair are black, there will hardly be anyone, who will absorb himself in Lord's Love, when his hair turn grey, therefore cherish the Love of the Lord, so that thou mayest have a new color (Salok 12, p-1378)

O Farid ! I have seen those eyes, which allured the world, they could not even endure the streak of antimony, but now the winged insects have been taken birth in their socket (Salok 14, p-1378)

Sheikh Farid has grown old and his body has begun to tremble, even if one lives for a hundred years, the body will ultimately become dust (Salok 41, p-1380)

O Farid! While the two lamps of eyes were shinning the angel of death came and sat down; he captured the citadel of body and robbed the interior and while going away, he extinguised the lamps (Salok 48, p-1380)

O Farid! The hair of the beard reared and turned grey, the beard turned grey and the whiskers also turned grey; O careless and insane mind! Why art thou still enjoying the luxuries? (Salok 55, p-1380)

The chewing teeth, the walking feet, the shinning eyes and the listening ears have ceased functioning- And the body has cried out loudly in lamentation: Those dearest comrades have left me. (Salok 77, p:1381)

Another saint Bhikham sings in the same strain:

The water flows down from the eyes and the body has lost its strength; the hair have become milk-white, the throat is choking and cannot utter a word, what the mortal will do then? (Sorath Bhikhan, p-659 SGGS)

The Gurus have in their poems entitled "Pahre identified the life-span with the four watches of the night. The fourth watch pertains to the old age. A few examples are given below:

In the fourth watch of the night, O my trader-freind!

one becomes old and his body weakens, his eyes go blind and he cannot see, O my trader-freind! His ears hear no utterance;

With blind eyes and tasteless tongue, he depends on the strength of others; he has no virtues within him, how can he obtain peace?

The self-willed undergoes births and deaths, when he crop ripens, it bends, breaks and perishes.

Why should then one be proud of the body, which comes and goes?

O mortal! In the fourth watch of the night, recongnise the word (God's Name) under Guru's guidance, saith nanak (Sri Raga M.1.P-76)

In the fourth watch of the night, O my trader-freind! The lord has brought the time of the leaving the world;

With your hands, serve the perfect True-Guru, O my trader freind! The life-span is going to end. (Sri Raga M.4. P-77)

In the fourth watch of the night, O my trader-freind! That day of death has come near, Under the guidance of the Guru, remember the Lord's Name, O my trader-freind! Which will be thy freind in Lord's Court (Sri Raga M.5 P-77)

Though every moment of life, which passes away, give us the message of death by diminishing the life-span, the "OLD AGE" as mentioned above, is a "Sure Message" of the impending death. All the faculities of the body, with their continued functioning during life, dwidle away, when the mortal attains old age. The signs of the "old age" as described above are as follows-

1. The black color of the hair turns grey. This is the most important outward sign of "old age". Even those people, who have other bues of hair because of the climatic effect, also turn white on reaching old age. Some people use hair-dye in their advanced age in order to look young, but the old age appears in several other forms. (Var-Asa M.1.P-465)

2. All the senses and sense organs are considerably weakend. The eyes lose power of sight, the ears lose the power of hearing, the nostrils, the power of smelling, the tongue the power of taste. The hands, feet and mouth become weak in their functioning etc. etc.

3. There is choking in throat.

All these signs convey the message of approaching death.

The gurus and saints have repetedly warned us about our duty. Guru Arjan Dev says:

He, who has created thee out of this drop of water (semen),

And has fashioned thy body from the earth.

He, who has infused in thee His Light alongwith the knowledge and power of discrimination.

He, who has protected thee within the mother's womb,

O mortal ! remember the Preserver,

And give up all other thoughts.

He, who has given thee father and mother,

He, who has given thee brothers sons, daughters,

He, who has given thee wife and freinds,

Keep that lord in thy mind.

He, who has given thee the invaluable air,

He, who has given thee the priceless water,

He, who has given thee the fire to burn,

O mortal! remain under the protection of that Lord,

He, who has given thee thirty-six types of ambrosial foods,

He, who has made places within your body to contain them,

He, who has given you the earth, the place, the goods for use,

Place thy heart at the Feet of that Lord.

He, who has given thee eyes to see and ears to bear

He, who has given the hands to work, nose to smell and tongue to taste,

He, who has given thee feet to walk and made the head (above),

O mortal! worship the Feet of that Lord.

He, who has made thee pure out of the impurities,

And placed thee above all species,

It is for thee now to improve thyself or not

O mortal! meditate on the Lord for setting thy affairs aright.

He is the only One in this and the next world,

Whereever we see, He is there,

The heart becomes sluggish in serving Him,

Without whom we cannot do even for a moment,

I am sinner, without any virtue,

I have no service or dead to my credit,

By great fortune, I have come across the Guru's ship,

Through which, a stone like me, has been able to cross the world-ocean.

(Ramkali. M-5, P-913)

• 4 weeks later...

Chapter 6-Yama- The God Of Death.

Yama, the god of death, according to Hindu mythology, holds charge of several hells, which are mentioned in the Puranas. Whereas the god of destruction is shiva; Yama as god of death acts as deputy of Shiva. His vehichle is a buffalo and he is followed by two four-eyed dogs, who are said to drag the unwilling souls into hell. The scribe(clerk) of Yama is Chitragupta, who keeps the record of good and bad actions of the mortal. Chitragupta is said to be one person by some, but by others he is spilt into two persons, Chitra and Gupta. One of them records only good deeds and the other only bad deeds. When the mortal is presented before Yama by his messengers (Jaamdoot), the scribes Chitra and Gupta read out both good and bad actions, which are weighted in a balance. If the balance goes against the mortal, he is taken to hell, where he is tortured according to the orders of Yama.

In some Puranic accounts the numbers of hell are said to be seven, but in the Bhagavata puranan they are said to be twenty-eight. In each hell, a particular kind of sinner is tortured. Some of the hells are as follows-

1. Tamisra: There is a darkness here, where the robbers and adulters are tortued.

2. Andhabtamisra: This is hell of greater darkness, where the egoists are punished.

3. Raurva: In this hell, Ruru, more cruel than serpents, tears those who wantonly hurt creatures.

4. Kumbhupaka: Here cruel men are bioled in oil.

5. Kalasutra: The sinful brahmins endure agonies in this hell.

6. Asipatravana: It is a hell for heretics.

7. Sukramukha: It is a hell for cruel kings.

8. Andhakupra: It is a hell of sleeplness for the killers of blood-sucking insects.

9. Krimibhojana: The selfish and inhospitable people are tranformed into worms, where they eat one another.

10. Taptasurmi: The souls are torn into pieces by red-hot pincers in this hell for the sin of simony.

11. A sea of burning flith: for sexual perverts.

12. Avichmat: Those who give false evidence are hurled into this pit repeatedly.

13. Suchimukha: A hell for misers.

14: Vaitarni: This is a stream, which goes around all the infernal regions. The rulers, who sow dissentions amongst relegious chiefs are also thrown in it. This stream full of faeces, urine, pus, blood, bones, flesh, marrow etc.

The above-mentioned hell are just some of the instances of the burning furnaces for the punishment of various kind of sinners. In the abode of Yama, there are thousands of hell for different purposes. They are under charge of Yama, who not only give punishment to sinners to various hells, he also acts as "Dharamraja".

The above mentioned Pauranic divisions of hells was the current beleif in Hindu Soceity, when guroo nanak dev came on the scene. The path of devotion was considered as the surest means of going to heaven. There are five Bhakti cults prevalent at that time. They were Vaishnavism, Shaivism, Shakitism, Ganaptayais Anad Shauryaism. The followers of these cults adored Vishnu, Shiva, Shakti, Ganesha and Surya as the Ultimate Authority. These gods were considered as manifestations of Immanent Bhraman (Sarguna Bhrahm). But guroo Nanak Dev considering Immanent Brahman as related to "Maya" preached only the devotion for Transcendent Brahman (Nirguna Brahm), who is the non-Temporal and non-spatial Lord. He wanted all the soul to be absorbed in love and devotion of "Akal" (non-temporal Lord). Since we live in an ephemeral World, the world of birth and death, where Yama (the god of death) rules, his authority and his powers were fully depicted, so as the mortal may become alter and cautious, avoid the punishment and absorb himself in devotion for the Lord. Since the target of unification with the Lord was fixed, the mortal had to avoid the path leading to heaven or hell, always performing such actions, which may make him worthy of the embrance of the Lord.

Yama as Dharamraja

According to the Sikh scripture, Yama, who attendants/messengers go to bring the souls in his presence acts as "Dharamraja"- the god of justice. Guroo Amar das says:

There is a command from Lord-God for the Dharamraja to administer true justice.

The evil soul, which are absorbed in daulity, are under thy rule.

But those who are the treasure of divine virtues and mediate on the One lord in their mind, the Dharamraja remains at their service. (Sri Rag M.3, PP-980)

The couriers of Dharamraja do not go near the beloved men of God.

Dharamraja is a freind of such persons (Var Maru M 3, P-1091).

When the Dharamraja shall call for account, there

<===will be heavy balance against errant soul...when

<=== it will be bound down (Maru Kabir, p. 1104)

Kabir cautions the errant soul, when he says:

What face you will show to Dharamraja when he will

<=== ask you for account. (Maru Kabir, p-1106)

Guru Nanak dev has said that:

Whosoever forgets the Name of the Lord, he has to pay up the balance of his actions according to the decision of the Dharamraja (Maru M 1, P-1029)

He, on whom the Lord is graceful and makes him absorbed in his Name, he does not even owe an iota to the Dharamraja. (Suhi Kabir, P-793)

On remembering the Name of the Lord, there shall not be any punishment of Yama and the couriers of the Dharamraja will not spy him. (Gauri Gaureri M. 5, P-185)

While talking about a sinful ascetic, Guroo Ramdas has said:

Dharamraja has told the attendant that he should take him and throw him in that pit of hell, where there are greatest of the great murderers (Gauri ki Var M. 4, p-316)

Yama, the Chastiser

1. The fear of Yama

Yama, though the god of justice, is also the keeper of hells, therefore he is greatly feared as the Chastiser, who gives punishment for the sinful actions, It is only through Lord's meditation, that the fear of death is removed in an instant (Gujri M. 5, p-500)

It is only through the remembrance of the Name of the Lord, that the fear of Yama is removed (Dhanasari M. 5, p-679)

One feels comfortable, when the fear of Yama is removed and the affliction of ego comes to an end. (Nat M. 5, p-978)

When the fear of death enters the mind, the mortal clings to the shelter of the Lord. (Jaitsri M.9, P-703)

2. The weapons of Yama, which create fear:

a). The mace of Club of Yama: The words "dand" and "thenga" have been used in Sikh scripture for mace, club or cudgel. This mace or club of Yama falls on the head of the mortal at the time of death.

When the mace of death falls on the head, everything is settled in a moment. (Asa Kabir, p-479)

When the club of death falls on the heard, only then mortal awakes. (Gaund Kabir, p-870)

The fear of death of the materialist is not removed and the club of yama ever bangs over his head (Maru M.1 p-1030)

Guroo Tegh Bahudar addresses the mortal in this way:

When the mace of Yama falls over your head, only then thou awakest from slumber. (Maru M.1, p-1008)

b.) The noose of Yama: The words "Phaha', "Phapi, "Phaas", "Phaasi", "Jevra", "Jevri", "Sangal" etc have been used for "noose" in the Sikh scripture. The mortal is bound down at the time of death. Guroo Nanak Dev says:

When the club of Yama strikes and the neck is entrapped in chains, the fives ones run away at that time. (Gauri Cheti, M. 1, p-155)

He, who has give him the soul and body and also gievs him sustenance, he does not remember Him at all, therefore the noose of Yama is not cut off from his neck and he continues to transmigrate repetedly (Sri Raga ki var M.4, Salok M 3, p-85)

The Guruward reflects on this essense that only the True guroo can snap the noose of Yama. (Maru, m-1, p-1029)

The conjunctive Words used alongwith the word "Yama"

1. One of the words is "Kankar", which is a derivative from the sanskrit word 'Kinkar" which means the servant or attendant. Therefore "Jam kankar" means the servant or attendant of Yama.

2. Another word is used is "Doot' which means messenger or envoy, thereforever the conjunctive word "Jamdoot" means the messenger or envoy of Yama.

3. Another word is "Jandaar", which if considered a derivative of the Arabic word "Jund", means "Commander" and conveys the sense of "Dharamraja" for Yama. If considered a derivative of Persian, it means "a wretch" or a "rascal". It is used in the sense of "abominable personality" for Yama.

4. Another word used alongwith yama is "Jagaati", which as "Jaagat" is a derivative from the Arabic word "Zakaar" meaning tax. Thus "Jagaati" is a tax-collector. Accordin to guroo amar das such a toll is levied on harbourers of daulity (Majh M.3, p-127).. It is said that besides Yama, who settles the account of actions and sends the souls further through his emissaries to the hells, there are such tax-collectors on the path, who demands are also to be satisfied. The charges are made by those, who ferry across "Vaitarani", the stream of blood and pus.

The symbols used for Yama

1. Though yama has been called "Dharamraja" (king of justice), he is also called Yamaraja (Yama-the king). He is virtually the king of his own territory, whom the powers have been delegated by Lord-God for justice and chastisement. His territory is called Jam-puri (The abode of Yama) or Jampur (The city of yama). Since the hells are working under his direct surveillance, they are seen distinctly from afar though their portals known as Jama-dar (the portals of Yama). Those bound down by Yama for punishment are taken within those portals.

2. Another symbol used for yama is that of the Torn-cat or male cat (Jam-Manjaar= Yama, the male cat). While addressing the Lord, Kabir says:

Thou art the cage and I am Thy parrot, what can the male cat of death do unto me? (Gauri Kabir, p-323)

Kabir has also said that:

The lord-god has created the poor man as a mouse and the cat of death devours him (Bilawal Kabir, p-855)

3. Another symbol used for Yama is that of the mouse. Guru Ram das says:

The day dawns and it dwindles away, then the night comes and all of it also passes away. Thus the age goes on decreasing, but the man does not comprehend this fact and the mouse of death is ever gnawing the rope of life. (Sri Raga M 4, p-41)

4. Yama the chasister is also depicted as a "Daitya" (demon).

The egocentrics and self-willed people die again and again. The yama as a demon destroys them and they have to enter the portal of the city of Yama for further chasitsement (Basant M.4, p-1178)

5. Yama is also indentified with a hunter. According to Kabir:

Yama walks around like a hunter and a killer, tell me, what method should be adapted for escape? (Dhansari Kabir, p-691)

6. Yama is also the torturing thorn. Guroo Arjan dev says:

The shelter of Lord-god's feet is my citadel, the torturing thorn of Yama cannot remove it. (Suhi, M.5, p-742)

7. Yama is also like a savage animal or poisounous serpent.

Yama roams about like a poisnous serpent gaping wide its mouth (Sorath. M-9, p-631)

8. Yama as death has been linked to that shore, which erodes like the bank of river (Salok Farid, p-1383)

9. Yama is also a mouse cutting the bough of life. (Gauri ki var, M. 4,p-304)

• 2 weeks later...

Here few more cases-

Its about an young american girl who had terrifying walking visions in which she saw two huge yellow cats tearing into pieces, then eating, someone called Marcella. Throughout her childhood she was tormented by these visions.

Years later, now married and living in Rome, she met a woman at a dinner party who seemed to familiar she could not stop staring at her. As they left the table the woman approached her and said: "Dont you remember me? I was marcella, and you saw me torn to pieces in the arena by lions. I felt sure I would meet you again in this incarnation. (Refrence from the book - Journey through time page- 58

Ann, born five years after her grandfather's death, claimed to be the reincarnation of him. She knew all the details of his life, his pet name when a child (long forgotten by most of the family) his habits, likes and dislikes. She described how her grandfather was shot, and died from a bullet wound in the neck. Today ann has a big lump in her neck in exactly the same spot where the bullet hit her grandfather. Intially incredulous, and after much investigation, Ann's family now accept and she is indeed her grandfather's reincarnation.

Refrence from the book - Journey through time page-62)

Another case- Sophie, 18 months months old and strapped into her baby-seat in the back of the family car, suddenly shouted to her mother as they approached a bridge: "This is just like where i died! I was in my car!"

Astounded, sophie's mother abruptly stopped the car. Sophie could barely talk, and yet now sounded like a mature woman. She countined: "I could reach the pedals because I had longer legs then.'. Sophie had never sat in the front seat, so could not possibly have known that a car had pedals. She went on to describe how her car went off the bridge and into the river, where she 'lay under water and nobody came'

Refrence from the book - Journey through time page-62)

Note: I be updating this thread oftenly. So Please come back!!! :D

Lily, who today is a medical student, saw her life as a young London prostitute in the mid 1800's, cut short by murder. She described herself as a very pretty, flirtarious and somewhat silly girl, who took to prositution more from laziness than lust. She was good-natured, had lots of freinds, both men and women, and when not working, like nothing better than to accompany them to the local-music hall.

One night, as Lily walked home alone, a man whose advances she had spurned followed and killed her. Lily's description of her last walk down dimly-lit steps on a dark night with the sound of rapidly-approaching feet her, reminded me of stories of Jack the Ripper. Afraid to run, she paused for a moment and hoped that whoever was there would walk on past her.

Instead, Lily felt hands grab her round her neck. She fell. Her murdered kicked and pushed her to the bottom of the steps and stuck a knife in her heart. The fear in Lily's voice, as she described her pre-death moments, ccompletly and amazingly changed to peace when she said: 'He forced the knife into my heart. Even then he wasn't satisfied. He went on kicking my body before he finally threw into the river. If he could only see how pointless his killing was. For I'm free! I 'm sorry I mocked and insulted him, because i realise now that this stimulated him to kill me. But even when i see my body kicked, beaten and abused I feel no pain. For some reason my life, although it appears cut short, fulfilled a plan. I m floating above my body and must go with those who are here to greet me.'

I asked Lily if she ever forgave her murder. She replied: 'There's nothing to forgive. On a certain level this death was pre-ordained part of my spirtual education. Maybe if I had physically expereinces the pain of the knife entering my heart it would be different, but I simply watched it happening as if it were nothing at all to do with me.'

Refrence from the book -[ Journey through time-pg-132]

Another Near Death Expereince

Dr Ritchie, an American doctor and psychiatrist, spoke of his own NDE and the light he saw, in the following words: ' I stared in astonishment as the brightness increased, coming from nowhere, seeming to shine every-where at once. All the light-bulbs in the ward couldn't give off that much light. All the light-bulbs in the world give off that much light. It was like a million welders' lamps all the blazing at once.' Dr Ritchie then saw that it was not just light but a man of light who came in the room. The power of light and love emanating from this man- 'who knew everything unloveable about me, yet accepted and loved me just the same' - changed Ritchie's life. He was also asked: 'What have you done with your life?' which made him realise that he had done very little. Ritchie was literally transformed by the light of this expereince, as are most Near Death Expereince subjects. This does not happen as a result of artifically induced OBEs (Out of Body expereinces), nor is it expereinced by those who attempt suicide.

• 2 weeks later...

Chapter- 11 (Karma And Transmigration)

The theories of Karma and Transmigration are interlinked. Karma means action. Every Jiva desires, thinks and acts. Every action has it own associations in the past, present and future. Every action is like a seed sown in the body. (SGGS) which is a field of action. The soul is the farmer. It has been given a field in the form of body. When the seed of action is sown, the consquences must follow. A jiva repeadly expereinces birth in this world. The theory of karma can be explained as the moral law of causation.

There are two types of Karmas ie Higher Karma and Lower Karma. The lowever karmas "Karma Kanda" have been rejected by the sikh guroo's. They have laid emphasis only on those karmas, which led to realisation of Prab/vaheguroo. From ethical point of view, the Karmas may be good or bad, virtuous or sinful. The remuneration of these karma depends on their quality. Whatever one did in his previous birth, that makes his present life. Whatever the seed of actions is sown in the body, the harvest is reaped accordingly. As one sows, so shall reap (SGSG). It is futile to slander others for the actions done. The fault lies in one's own actions. (SGGS) Good actions not only bring the appreciation in this world, but also in the presence of the the lord. (SGGS).

Bad actions are like a field of poison. A bad person is like a thief. He is punished by the god of justice. (SGGS) The slander of good people and the worship of the followers of mammon are considered as bad actions.

One should perform such actions, by which be may not feel ashamed in the presence of the lord (SGGS)

These karmas are performed according to the Will of God. God has destined us the from the beginning for certain karmas. We cannot escape them.(SGGS). At this point a question arises, why should one be rewarded or punished, when one is not responsible for the actions??? But a closer consideration of this lines of thought brings us to the conclustion that the saint-poets of the "Adi Granth" could not detach the Karma doctrine from God, as was done by Jamini, the author of Purva Mimamsa. Kabir says:

This jiva is tied by karmas, you says.

But who gave life to karmas? (Guand Kabir, p.870)

It is vaheguru, who controls our karmas. This does not mean we ought to remain passive, because we have been denied even an iota of free-will. In order to rise higher on the spirtual planes, one must get himself attuned to the will of god (SGGS). The human being desires, think and acts for worldly pleasures, which end in misery. (SGGS). In fact, god has given us good amount of free-will under his will and those who according to the will of god, realise the state of bliss. Others who are wordly-wise undergo births and deaths. The wisdom of an individual is of no use. Everything happens under the Will of god. The attainment of the nectar of Name is the real ideal under the Will of god. (SGGS)

The individual can act freely for the attainment of the ideal, therefore great stress is laid on fortitude, which forms the basis of the Grace of the lord (SGGS)

The karmas performed under the influence of "maya" and ego are the cause of transmigration. Without the attainment of the Name of the lord, the cycle of births and deaths continues. There are inmurearble individual selves taking different physical forms. The words virtue(punya) and sin(paap) and heaven and hell come in usage after the creation of the world three "gunas" (qualities, modes). The virtuous go to heaven and sinners to hell.(SGGS). The true disclipne has no desire of going to heaven. He does not fear hell. He is above virtue and sin, therefore he is above heaven and hell. Kabir says:

Which is hell? and which is poor heaven?

The saints condemn both.

We have nothing to do with any by the grace of our guroo (Ramkali, Kabir. P-969)

The saint, who is above heaven and hell, wishes to remain at the feet of the Lord for all times.(SGGS) Thus we see that heaven is not an ideal for a Sikh. The picture of hell has been depicted in the following manner:

There is a stream of fire from which emerge poisnous flames,

There is none else there except the self,

The waves of the ocean of fire are aflame

And the sinners are being burnt in them (Maru, M1, P-1026)

All the phsyical forms, through which the soul passes, are hells. Thus there are eight-four lakhs of hells; there are sinners get due punishment for their deeds. Then angels of death take away from the sinner before the god of justice, who is depicted as moneylender (bania). The scribes Chitra and gupta are asked to give an account of the virtuous and sinful respectively. Then the god of justice sends the sinners to hell. Before reaching the god of justice, the sinner has to pay a toll-tax in the way. The description of hell, god of justice, Chitra and gupta etc is Pauranic, through which saint-poets of the "Adi Granth" wanted to create the hatred in the minds of the individuals against bad deeds and inculate in them the devotion of the Lord, making it quite clear, that even good works could not get the release of the individual self.

Thus the theories of Karma and Transmigration are closely inter-linked. All the orthodox and heterdox Indian relegions except Lokayats (Charvakas) beleived in these doctrines. The old egyptians and Greeks also accepted them.

The modern Theosophists have full faith in them. Some people beleive that the soul existing from the very beginning takes birth in the world only once. This is the doctrine of pre-existence. Others are of the view that the soul takes birth repeatedly, but is only born as a human being and never born as a bird of beast. This is the doctrine of reincarnation. But according to the doctrine of transmigration, the soul takes various physical forms according to its karmas. The indian sages talk of eighty-four lakhs of physical forms. Half of them live in water and the other half on the land. In one of his hymns, guroo arjan dev has described the various births of a soul:

The jiva was born several times as worm and flying insect, It was born several times as an elephant, as fish and deer,

It was born several times as an elephant, a fish and a deer.

It was born several times as a bird and a snake,

It was born several times a horse and a yoked bull,

Meet the lord, this is the oppurtune time,

After a very long time, you have come in this body,

It was born several times as a stone and a mountain,

It was born several times as germs,

It was born several times as plants,

It strayed into eighty-four lakhs of phsyical forms (Gauri. M-5,p-176)

Jiva expereinces bondage, when it enters the field of action. Every action enchains him further.Every action enchains him further (SGGS) .

It tighens the noose around his neck. (SGGS). There are further three kind of karmas: Sanchit, Prarabdha and Aagami. The karma, which is ripe for reaping is called Prarabdha. The accumulated Karmas for the past are Sanchit, and the Aagami or Kriyamaan Karmas are the present karmas, when the good are to be performed and bad to be avoided. "Sanchit Karma" manifets itself in the form of character. The chain of births and deaths ceases only on the exhaustation of "Prabdha Karmas'.

The tie that binds jiva to the wheel of births and deaths is desire. (SGGS). In brihadaranyaka Upanishad, it is written. "When all the desires concealed in the heart, come to an end, the mortal becomes immortal and enjoys brahman/vaheguroo here."

Transmigration ceases with the exhaustation of desire. But the desire (Trishna) comes to an end, and when we meet the knower of Brahan(Brahmgyani) and act according to his instructions:

The fear of births and deaths ceases with the perfect knowledge imparted by the perfect Man. We stray no more, our wandering cease, on listening to the Praises of the Lord, saith Nanak

(Gauri Sukhmani M.5,p-287)

Trilochan, the maharasthrian saint has said that the final desire at the time of death becomes a basis of our next birth. Whoever remembers his sons at the time of death, becomes a pig. The person, who thinks of his houses becomes a ghost. One who thinks of wealth becomes a snake. Whosoever remembers a woman, becomes a harlot/prostitute. (SGGS)

This shows that a man may become a beast, a crawling snake or a woman in his next birth according to his karmas.

Heaven-Like Near Death Expereinces

Freindly Beings

Beautiful, lovely environments

Conversations and Dialogue

Total Acceptance and an overwhelming sensation of Love

A feeling of Warmth and a Sense of Heaven

Hell- Like Near Death Expereinces

Lifeless or threatening apparitions

Barren or ugly expanses

Threats, screams, silence

Danger and the possiblity of torture and violence

A feeling of cold (or of temperature extremes), and a sense of hell.

Chapter- 2 The Visible Death

None has ever seen death accept people who go through near death expereinces and out of body expereinces. The eyes that we have been given can only see the material world and whatever materialises before them. The soul which leaves the body is never seen and the one takes away the soul from our body is also not visible. One feels puzzled at this dilemma. The perception of our mind and physical eyes is very limited; it works only as long as life-force last within mind is also born out of the combination of five elements. The guroo says:

"This mind is born of five elements." (ASA m.1, P-415). Therefore although the soul lives in the house(body) made of five elements, it provides the body with the life-breath, the five senses, the mind and the intellect. The five senses, the mind and the intellect. The five senses become the playground of the mind and the intellect works mostly in consonance with the mind. But within the gross body of the five elements, there is another body, which is known as the subtle body (Sukhshama sarira or the linga sarira). At the time of death, this subtle body, which is also invisible, leaves with the soul inclusive of the mind and intellect alongwith the good and bad impression of the actions committed in lifetime. The guroo says:

When one meets the True guroo, he causes him to visualize the mystery of death (Gauri M.1, p-153)

There are people throughout the world, who beleive in the total extinction of a "being" or a personality at the time of death. For them the world is merely a biological process. There is evolution, there is procreation and there is extinction.

They beleive only in what they see. That is the only truth for them. They are not bothered about my life after death. Such people are known as "charvakas" in India. They do not beleive in the life to come, in heaven or hell, in reicarnation or transmigration. They believe that the life, doomed for an ened and extinction, must be enjoyed fully, therefore their dictum has been: "Eat, Drink and be merry". But on other hand, there had been great thinkers, saints and mystics, who considered some purpose of life. They ruminated over several questions concerning life, which included:

1. Why were we born at all?

2. Which power brought us to life?

3. Why are we destined to die?

4. Can there be any eternal life or eternal entity? and

5. Does the life exists only visibly? Or is there any invisble power or entity?

Such like innumerable questions cropped up in the mind of thinking man, who saw life flourishing in all directions, not only concerning the human being, but also in vegetable kingdom and animal kingdom. But he also visualised the decline and fall of all the visible life. He saw the growth of life from childhood to old age passsing through the stage of youth full of vitality and vigour. (Salok, M-9,p-1428)

He noticed that the seed grows into a beautiful flower and takes ultimate form of fruit, when it fall down from the bough and cannot be re-grafted. (Salok Kabir, p-1366). Whatever is seen by the outward eye, has been described several times in the sikh scripture; eg-

1. Whatever we see, is created and destroyed (Asa M, 1, p-352)

2. Whatever we see, is taken away by Death. (Suhi M,5, p-740)

3. Whatever we see, is all destroyed like the shade of cloud. (Gauri, M-9, p-219)

4. Whatever we see, is all false(ephemeral) (Maru, M-5;, p-1083)

The oviparous beings(andaj) will perish, the viviparous beings (jeraj) will pass away, the beings produced by heat and dampness(setaj) are prone to destruction and the vegetable kingdom (uthbhuj) will also be eliminated. (Sarang, M-5, p-1204)

One sees the caravan of life moving away and gettin into oblivion. The sufi mystic Farid Shakarganj says:

I have seen with these eyes many beings passing away. In such a suitation the people think about themselves and I think about myself. (Salok Farid, p-1382)

Farid even questions the fellow being: "Where are your mother and father, who gave birth to you; they have left you, then why do you not consider the truth." (sggs-p.1381)

Guroo Nanak Dev says: "My beloved freinds have gone away and are sleeping in the graveyard, I am also moving away in sorrowfulness and lament in lean voice." (Sri Raga M.1,p-23)

It has been conclusively said: "The kings, the subjects and the chieftains, none will survive, the shops, the cities, and bazars will fall down under the Lord's will; the fool considers the stables and winsome houses as his own; the stores , full of materials are emptied in an instant; the horses, the chariots, the camels, the elephants, the armours, the orchards, the lands, the mansions, all thine own, where are they? The tents, the beds woven with webbing tape, the canopies and the broacaded silk (all thine own, where are they?. Only the bountenous Lord if Ever-existent, who is indentified through his creation (Var Majh, M-1, p-141)

• 2 weeks later...

A Guide at Death's Door

Children who expereince near-death states, like adults, often describe a "greeter". It seems to be the greeter's job to welcome or warn, depending on the circumstances, and to guide the individual deeper into the experience. Typical greeters are:

Deceased relatives and freinds- always authentic as to whom (even if not previously known), but seldom historically correct as to age and apperance when last seen. These people are usually expereinced as younger, brighter, healtheir, and happier than when the expereinced knew them.

Animals and deceased pets- appearing as "freinds" or "guides"; on occasion they speak telepatically. Physical sensations of being licked, rubbed, pawed or nosed by the animal are felt and enjoyed.

A religious figure- expereinced as an "extra-special being of love", yet is referred to in terms consistent with the expereincer's exposure to relegious training and social traditions.

Spirit beings- run the gamut from heavenly angels to threatening demons. Usually talkative or instructive, they can also convey a "mountain of messages" simply by their presence or with a single look.

Deity- for the young, always a male, most often a kindly father or grandfather type; for teenagers and adults, predominately a huge sphere of all-knownings, all loving light that is brighter than a million suns.

• 3 weeks later...

DEATH AND AFTER By Brig. Hardit Singh Kapur (Retd.)

HARDIT SINGH*

Over countless centuries, world religions and psychologists have been speculating on what lies beyond death. No one has given a clear answer except for offering a variety of choices. The Western idea, which encompasses Judaism, Christianity, and Islam, hovers around the Day of Judgement, Resurrection, and Heaven and Hell. The Eastern religions, Hinduism, Buddhism, Jainism, etc., theorise on transmigration and karmic philosophy. In this paper, I shall discuss this question based on some of my personal observations and experiences.Human beings have a mortal body and an immortal soul (atma), which is a speck of the Divine Soul (Parmatma). While the soul is the core, the mind is its outer garb which manifests itself at birth and takes control of the body. The mind is the product of maya, so, is vagrant and mischievous, but essential to foster individual personality. Psychologists maintain that the mind is connected to the brain and soul to the heart. What the mind does or thinks, casts reflection on both the body and the soul. The body is diseased and the soul soiled. The mind with its agents (sense organs) disappears or dies with the body, but the poor soul has to bear consequences of the mind’s misdeeds in the next world. Since the mind is the culprit, all the religious instructions are meant to tame it. The conflict between the mind and the soul can be compared to that of a fight between a demon and a god. For that matter the whole universe is based on conflicting factors such as pain and pleasure, happiness and sadness, good and bad, etc. This is the law of nature which can also be termed as His play.Like the water which rushes down the hills, valleys, and plains to merge with its master — the ocean, soul also yearns to meet its Prime-Soul.

The human body is the place where the soul is closest to its objective, but it is separated from it by a wall of falsehood (koor di pal). This wall can be dismantled through loving remembrance of God and service of His creation. Our deeds, after death, will be adjudged as to how far the soul has traversed its distance away or towards its goal. Nothing else, including riches, status, or even religious affiliations shall be of any avail. In this court, there is no Hindu, Muslim, or Sikh. Human life is thus a rare opportunity that comes for attaining closeness to God. Besides, human life is not only head of all the world species, but is also bestowed with discriminating brain and faculties to improve his lot and to render service to others.We are alive when the soul abides in our body. The moment it departs the body collapses. This is what death is. Death is certain and ordained. No one can escape its clutches. Every human being is destined to live a certain number of days and breaths and not the age. These numbers cannot be increased or decreased. One can, however, prolong life by maintaining his equipoise under all circumstances. Lust, anger, greed, attachment, ego and fast life (hurry, worry, tension, and indulgence) tend to quicken the breathing tempo.

Ancient yogis lived long lives as they could control their breath. Death will only come when the allotted number of breaths is used up. My young uncle, a very pious and saintly soul, suddenly died and woke up after a few minutes. He told the gathered family members that his namesake from the same village was to die instead. Lo, wails and cries were heard at that time from a nearby house where another Surjan Singh died. A dying person is visited by either messengers of death (yamas) or angels according to one’s bad or good deeds. The yamas drag out the human spirit mercilessly whereas the noble souls are honourably led by angels. During the 1962 Chinese aggression, my wife, while siting out in Jorhat (Assam) saw four or five yamas dashing past her and within seconds one of our aircrafts exploded in the air killing the sole pilot known to us. My wife described the yamas as “tall, almost touching the sky, with ugly and dreadful featuresâ€. Their body and features particularly hands and feet are disproportionately large. On the other hand, a very pious, saintly and dear friend of mine at Jalandhar had warned his wife of his approaching end.

After about a month, he exclaimed that a party of Sikhs singing shabads with Sant Baba Jawala Singh of Harkhowal at their head, were entering his room to take him away. The above saint had left this world about ten years earlier and was our godfather. The noble soul said good-bye to his family, bowed reverently to the holy spirits and closed his eye.Late Bhai Vir Singh, a great mystic, novelist, and poet had published a small tract early in his life narrating a dream of his death. Bhai Sahib found himself in the other world where he met some people who talked about purifying him. They lit a pyre and asked Bhai Sahib to enter into it which he did. To his utter astonishment, he neither feared the fire nor felt any heat. Instead he felt his elated soul soaring high above, while he watched his body burning below. Then someone explained to him that the dream-drama was enacted to take away his fear of death which he had considered as dreadful and end of all. He was then told to return to earth, to explain to people not to be afraid of death as it is only a change of state and not the end. He was also urged to convey the message that the only merit that counts in the other world is the “remembrance of His Nameâ€, which Bhai Sahib has fully conveyed in his voluminous writings. Bhagat Kabir is not only happy in death but considers it as the gateway to the Beloved.Bhai Sahib’s dream supports the common belief that immediately after death the soul soars high and looks back at its burning body from a distance and feels light and relieved.After death, except for the liberated souls, all others are taken to the court of True Justice (Dharam-raj) to answer their conduct on earth. The soul is fettered in chains and dragged along through a tortuous dark tunnel. In this court, the soul is told its good and evil deeds written in its account by the “secret agents of the Dharam-raj (Chitar & Gupt)â€.

Punishment is declared according to the nature of offences. In this trial no intervention or recommendation of any one matters. The punishment is solely based on one’s deeds. Persons who have not made the mark either turn into evil spirits or go into the cycle of death and birth, i.e. transmigration; the others who are partially qualified may be given another opportunity of human life. Dharamraj has no jurisdiction to handle or try the liberated souls.Those persons who have dyed their souls in the love of God, merge with the Supreme-Soul or are assigned tasks for redemption of humanity. There are no restrictions on them and are free to do whatever they like. My above-mentioned uncle died after a year of the incident. He had confided to his very close companion the date and time of his end. He even secretly prepared funeral clothes and wound up his worldly affairs beforehand. Since they were very close, he had also told him that should he feel separation, he could meet him anytime in the periphery of the Golden Temple at night-time as long as he did not disclose it to anyone else. His friend used to meet him there till he let the secret out.A Muslim lady saint attracted to Sikhism, called Bibiji, lived in village Maili in Hoshiarpur District (Punjab). She was a devotee of Sant Baba Jawala Singh of Harkhowal mentioned earlier. One day she asked her followers to accompany her to a nearby hill top to spend the night there. In the morning they all came back. When repeatedly questioned about the purpose of the short visit, she reluctantly informed them that the Babaji had expired and his soul carried by angels was to pass over the hill and that she wanted to pay her respects to the great soul.In the morning prayer of the Sikhs (Asa-di-Var) staves No. 2, 3, and 14 paint the plight and delight of the human beings on their death. The translation by late Professor Puran Singh (1881-1931) is given below : The soul has to struggle to the Kingdom of Righteousness... The man who gives himself to physical pleasures, finally drops down dead, his body is burnt to ashes. ............ But the soul, as it emerges out of the body is found fettered in heavy chains. ............ The inner man finds no protection anywhere, no one in his later affliction comes to his help. ............ And it is only then, beyond death, that man trembles with acute repentance… the soul weeps and cries. ............ As we do here, so shall we be judged. By our actions we shall be nearer Him or farther off. ............ Those informed of Truth find the way out and are lifted up.

And those not informed never rise to grace. ............ Oh Lord Truth ! Those who have dyed their souls, With the colour of Thy Glory, Thy Love, Thy Name, have won the struggle of life and have passed above it, beyond it. ............ And the lovers of darkness are in struggle forever. The blind of heart thus lose the opportunity of physical life that comes for attaining freedom.The above picture is corroborated in Japji stanza 34 as well. All religions believe in the existence of the next world and the Court of True Justice where the soul has to render account of its deeds. Those who have meditated on God’s Name and have accumulated the treasure of good deeds will be approved, while the rejected ones will suffer and repent their indulgence in sensual pleasures. Judgement is purely based on ‘reap as you sow’ topped by ‘His Grace’.Death is not a horror but a blessing in disguise for those who lived this life in the pure spirit of beauty and love of Him. They love it, court it, and embrace it as demonstrated by the Sikh Gurus, the four sahibzadas, and numerous Sikh martyrs of the eighteenth century.Remember death, forget not. Death, remembering that all must die, is a great chastener of the human mind. Rembering Him or Naam Simran is the harbinger of love, peace, and tranquility.

• 2 weeks later...

Thats a really long post N3O, but I have studied about OUt of Body experience. Its a cool thing, I had some, got myself out of the body but the head always remained attached. I dont know why !

I was sleeping just a few weeks ago. I had a dream, i was in half-awake and half-sleep state and insuch state I asked I wanted to see my past life... I started to get images.. I got scared 1! and I said I dont want it.. and the images stopped and for sometime.. I had the sensation that I could exit my body, but i did not and after sometime through some force I woke up !

• 4 weeks later...

Astral Travel

source: http://www.beyondtheveil.net/experiences.html

Night Travel

I just had a great experience visiting your site and reading about your journey to the other side. I also on a mission because of what I call my night travel experience and of late my other experiences.

A few years ago on Christmas Eve; after last minute chores I was finally ready to call it a day. I went to bed around midnight and all of a sudden I felt my heart beating rapidly, I mean really fast and strong. I became afraid and thought I was having a heart attack but a voice in my head told me to relax and it would be fine. I did just that and all of a sudden was on the roof of my house. I looked down and noticed a shingle missing and made a note of it to tell my husband.

I turned south and in a standing position was traveling at a very high rate of speed.. I went over the ocean, looked down and saw lights from ships, and felt the air become warmer. I live in the Northeast and in December it is far from a warm air environment. I also remember hearing radio call letters but forget now just what they were. I knew I was in the South somewhere.

I came to an abrupt stop, looked down, saw a house and knew that is where I was going. Briefly I was thinking if I went down at the rate of speed I had been traveling I would surely die. I did descend at lightning speed but just as I was about to touch the earth I glided to the ground. I walked into the house I have no idea if I went through the house or opened the door to enter. I know I was in the house standing in an entry way. Looking right I saw the living room, left was a kitchen with a hall leading to the left of it. A night light was giving off a glow from the hall. I started to walk towards the hall and a voice said "No, you do not want to go there, you may not like what you see." Next thing I knew I felt this intense jolt to my body and sat up in bed with an enormous force. I was really shaken. I looked over at the clock and it was around 3 AM. The next day I told my husband of the episode and he just laughed it of and dismissed it as a dream. This bothered me as I knew in my heart it was not a dream. All of a sudden I remembered about the shingle and begged him to check it out. I described the exact spot where I saw it missing. In order to prove me wrong he indeed did go check. He reluctantly came back with the news that I was exactly right.

Since that day I have been on a mission that I call my curiosity of the universe. I can't tell you where it has led me as it would take so long. I now have proof that there is indeed a curtain between us and the others that have crossed over. It's a very thin veil and can be so enlightening if one only chooses to look.Ê The second trip I took beyond the veil showed me the end of the tunnel as well. A different perspective than most but a very logical one.

As to the OBE or astral travel; the second one I went on was very different and relaxing; no panic. I was traveling through space and a beautiful comforting voice was guiding me. He took me to the top of a mountain and we looked down into the most incredible valley. It was so beautiful that I could never do it justice trying to describe it. There the voice pointed me to a beautiful tree. It looked like a fig tree but enormous and perfectly shaped. I asked what it was and he said that is the tree of life. The next thing I remember I am descending into what looked like a coliseum, it was all white and gleaming.. there was no top on it but there were so many pillars. In between them people streamed into the inside area. I glided over to this amazing marble slab/table and there on top was a woman with long dark hair dressed in a whitish robe. I asked the voice that was with me what was she doing. He told me that her crossing had been a difficult one and that she was resting. Next I was back in my bed, again sitting up with a jolt.

Terri

Past Lives

Past Life Dreams

Have no idea how I came across your site, I was looking for something totally different, but in the end I'm glad it happened.ÊI cannot call myself a person of much faith. Though somewhere inside me I feel that we must be the product of some higher power and that we are here for a purpose, I honestly cannot call myself a total believer in an afterlife. Anyway, I don't want to get into that now, because that is not the purpose of my mail.Ê When I was five or six I fell from the table (don't ask me what business I had to be on a table, I was a kid after all) and hit my head. I remember that I saw my mother panicking, telling me to wake up, shaking me. And here I was, hovering somewhere above, looking at my body in a very "detached" way and telling my mother "Hey, I'm here! If you'd stop screaming maybe you could hear me..." Can't remember how long it lasted, all I know is that when I opened my eyes I was looking up, not down (the back of my head is a little flat, wonder if the fall had anything to do with it!...) I have a few questions... I have experienced the same exact dream a few times in my life and cannot really associate it with anything that wasÊgoing on in my life at the time. In the dream I am with a group of people, they must be friends of mine but I do not recognize them and we come up an old, deserted house. I eventually start exploring the old place by myself and I start climbing ancient steps that lead me to an arched wooden door. I open the door and already know what I'm about to see. What I see is a VERY large room, looks like I'm in a castle. The room has a lot of candles and at the far end of the room I can see the firgure of an old monk stretched out on a bed or alter, I'm not sure. I can tell he's been there a long, long time. I do not feel scared but I always wake up.ÊIt's funny, for once I had this dream and as it was starting I remember I was telling myself "Oh, here goes that dream..." I first had this dream when I was in my early teens. I sometimes dream of what may be related to the same dream. For example, In one dream I'm walking up a hill when a man asks me about the house to my left, he wants to know if it'sÊfor sale. I know it is, but do not want to tell him. Together we go into the house, inside it looks like a monastery, and I KNOW where every little crooked corridor leads to. But my concern is with the man, I want him out of there, I turn and I'm in the middle of an open market in medieval times. I feel very much at ease now, the man is gone and I'm talking with one of the vendors who's busy working with leather (toling leather?). In another dream I'm escaping from someone who is looking for me. Again I am in a castle-like building, there are many secret passeways and I KNOW where they will take me, and I successfully get away from whoever is trying to get hold of me. When I was a kid I used to be drawn to the monastery (most people thought it odd behavior for a teen), There on the grounds watching the monks, going inside the chapel, I always felt so at peace... What is wrong with me? Why am I always drawn to medieval/monastic elements? A close friend of mine believes that I may have lived in those times; is it possible? Also, one day when I was in my early 20s I distinctly remember waking up with the certainty that I had just come back from someplace. It perturbed me and frankly I do not want to experience that again; where was I? Again, my friend tells me that possibly because of that fall I now have a "door" open to another dimension and that I should not fear it. I often have dreams and days or months later the dream really happens, I can tell what people are about to tell me, yet I'm plain scared of it all and often wish I had none of these. Do you have any advice for this 40+ critical care nurse? There is so much more that I could tell you, but I'd end up writing a short novel. Thanks for any help you may be able to provide.

Life After Death Experiences

My name is Mary, I'm 34 and live in a small town on the south coast of Victoria, Australia. I have had several experiences in regards to life after death and I experienced an awakening (not so much NDE).Ê

About 10 years ago, my ex-husband and I were renting a small farm. I had a beautiful Blue Heeler(Australian Cattle Dog). This dog (Teddy) was not very well. He had an awful habit of chewing and swalling tennis balls. He had been through several operations to resection his intestines to remove the bits of ball. This one time, I knew he wasn't 100 percent well, but I hoped it wouldn't be another tennis ball. Unfortunately, his health deteriorated and I had to take him to the vet. I knew in the back of my mind that this would be the last operation - he didn't have a lot of intestine left. Anyway, at the vet they examined him and found a foreign object in the intestine. They opted to operate and see how he went. About 2 hours later I received a call - it seems Teddy was not going to well, they had been operating for a long time and with the little amount of intestine he had left he would be lucky to last another 6 months and his quality of life would not be good. I decided to have him put down. Teddy was like a child to me. I brought him up like one and he relied on me like one. That night, I collapsed in my husbands arms, with the realisation that I wouldn't ever be cuddling my precious Teddy again! I had a huge cry and went to bed - that night I had a very unusual experience. I thought I was dreaming but apparently I wasn't. It was a very windy and wet night and I was worried about the front gates being open - as the cattle had excaped in bad weather before and the front gate was the only thing stopping them from getting onto the main road. My horse Mirra (who I will speak about later) was whinnying outside, a thing he would do if the cattle was disturbed, so I dragged myself out of bed to check the gates were closed. Good thing I did because they were wide open. As I walked up the long driveway towards the gates, a light in the sky attracted my attention. I watched intently as it swirled down and opened up in front of me like a catherine wheel (firecracker) It was beautiful red and gold and silver with a dark center. As it got closer I could distinctly see images of people and animals coming closer. Then one figure walked towards me.ÊÊShe was just a silhouette but I could hear her talk to me. She asked me to lookÊtowards my van, where I would see Teddy (He loved travelling in my van)in the passenger seat. She said I would have to help get him to come with them as he could not stay here. I went to the van and there was Teddy. He looked so scared and sad. I called him down from the front and walked him up to the women. She bent over to him and grabbed his lead. He looked back, hesitant. Unwillingly he followed the lady up into the tunnel. Another person on a horse said goodbye, we'll see you soon! Then the tunnel swirled close and disappeared into the sky again. I went on to close the gates then returned to bed. I awoke in the morning convinced it had all been a dream, but when I swung my legs out of the bed they were still muddy from the walk up the driveway.Ê

In year 2000, my horse Mirra died. I had often had premonitions of seeing a white carcass in his paddock. But, knowing how healthy he was decided it was me just worrying as usual. It had been a week into a holiday I was on when I had a vivid dream of Mira walking up to me, looking for a second and turning and walking off into darkness. I rang mum and asked if she would check him, she said don't be silly he was a fit and healthy 22 year old with plenty of food and water, and to enjoy my holiday. About a week later I had another dream of a white horse carcass with the jaw bone exposed. This really worried me. As soon as I arrived home I went straight down to check on Mira. As soon as I looked out into the 40 acre paddock I realised there was only one white (grey) horse when there should have been two. My heart sank and I looked straight at where I would have the premonitions of the horse carcass. There he was, exactly how he was in the premonition. As I got closer to him I noticed his jaw bone was exposed - like in my dream. I sat and cried for a while and called my boyfriend (I was divorced at that stage) he was very fond of Mira and he came straight down. As we walked through the little path that the horses had made up to where Mira lay, we both had the distinct feeling he was following us, once Mic (my boyfriend) had viewed his body there was an overwhelming feeling of relief on MIras behalf and he left us.

Since then I have lost my little baby boy Rye-Leigh. He died of pneumonia due to a congenital heart defect at 9 months old. This was in march 2002 and I am still trying to get over the shock. I definitely felt his presence when the doctors were trying to convince me he was o.k. even though his arms and legs had gone a deep crimson and his eyes were ticking back in his head! They then rushed him away from me and then didn't let me near his side when he died. We sometimes hear his toys play. A few nights after his death,Êthree middle aged elegant ladies dressed in flowing pastel coloured gowns came to my bed. One said"let him go to his mummy" at that moment Rye came up my bed. He looked extremely healthy. His hair was not wet from perspiration, as it would usually be, and he was crawling, which he wouldn't have the energy to do normally. He was giggling and playing with me. Then it felt like I went to sleep. I still don't know weather it was just a dream.

My AwakeningÊ- a few weeks ago, I was having another one of my difficulty in breathing things at night. I took two puffs of my Ventolin - usually I only take one as my heart has a tendency to race. I fell back to sleep with an intense pressure in my forehead. I remember being in a dream where a voice told me how to open up my third eye. I dragged my fingers (in the dream) along my forehead, like a double zipper, opening from the middle out. In the next instant I heard a whooshing sound, my ears filled with static - like tuning into a station on a radio. Next I saw a bright light. Then out from the light came the image of a blonde haired lady. She talked with a Cockney accent. She told me not to be scared, but at this time I was panicking and asking to go back. There was beautiful music totally surrounding me. Filling every atom of my body, but it was not loud. I then went into another dimension where there was a old lady in a black dress (horrible looking) talking back from 10. I woke up!

Well got to go and feed family, they're getting impatient.

Thankyou, Meg.

• 3 weeks later...

This is one amazing book its called "Tibetan Book of Death". I recommend everyone who is interesting on knowning life after death, near death expereince that people have suffered.. Also to be more familiar with tibetan buddhist mystics and tradition.

You can download the file at: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/reincarnationandbeyond/files/ by joinin their yahoo group. If you dont have yahoo address.. in couple of days.. i can manage to upload this book on sikhawareness by attachment feature.. I have attempted to attach the file. It says. pdf extenstion not allowed. Admin is also woking to fix this problem. But in the meantime, enjoy that e-book.

Akaaaaaaaaal hee akaaaal

anand hiii anand :D

This is one amazing book its called "Tibetan Book of Death". I recommend everyone who is interesting on knowning life after death, near death expereince that people have suffered.. Also to be more familiar with tibetan buddhist mystics and tradition.

You can download the file at: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/reincarnationandbeyond/files/ by joinin their yahoo group. If you dont have yahoo address.. in couple of days.. i can manage to upload this book on sikhawareness by attachment feature.. I have attempted to attach the file. It says. pdf extenstion not allowed. Admin is also woking to fix this problem. But in the meantime, enjoy that e-book.

Akaaaaaaaaal hee akaaaal

anand hiii anand :D

Sat Sri Akal Ji,

I heard thats a good book, but never read it.. or didnt have the time to.. do they describe the technique or something?

But if you are interested in such OOBE, the most easy and guaranteed way to have such an experience is to get up early in the mornin, like at 4:00 am, take a cold shower do naam jap for about 15 mins, and then sleep again... but dont sleep sideways, sleep in a straight position.. after some time you will be havin a oobe..

Sometimes they can be really scary too :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I used to do this like 2-3 yrs back dont do it anymore, they are blissful,but just make sure u dont get too attached...

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh