Bhai Nand Lal Ji

deepsingh

Thanks - to be honest, it doesn't matter to me whether he was originally Muslim or Hindu - I do know that he had unbelievable pyaar for Maharaj Ji and his poetry is reflective of this.

But Hindus from Persia?? Kam, where did you hear this?

Bhai Nand Lal Ji were a Hindu by birth. They were well educated and from a very good background. He was a scholar in farsi and arabic and was later employed by the court of Aurangzeb due to their exemplary skills.

From Katha i recall that Aurangzeb who himself was a profound scholar on the meanings of the quran, posed a question to all of the mullas, qazis and imams in his court over a certain passage in the quran. he asked al to give the correct meaning of it as in the taasfirs. All of them were unable to do this. In the end a Bhai Nand Lal Ji expounded the meaning of the passage for all in the court of the moghul king. All were impressed but most of all Aurenzeb. Aurangzeb was quite shocked that a low hindu being was unable to discipher the true meaning of the passage. Aurangzeb thought that it was not right that a person of such vast knowledge of the quran should remanin an infidel.

Aurengzeb then called a meeting with a view to bring Bhai Nanad Lal Ji under the fold of Islam. Bahadur Shah was a close frien of Bhai Nand Lala and made him aware of his fathers actions and due to this told him that it would be best to leave. Bhai Nand Lal was worried due to the kings power but Bahadur Shah reminded that their was a place in Bharat where the law of the Moghul empire did not exist which was in the court of Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji.

Bhai Nand Lal Ji later left the court of Aurangzeb and came into the court of the 2 poets in Paunta Sahib under the shelter of Nirinkari Jot Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji

bhai nand lal ji was hindu, any referance .

He uses alot of islamic terminalogy in his poetry.

do you think he was a practising hindu. or just by birth.

when aurahzeb called a meeting to bring bhai nand lal ji into the fold of islam ; where was aurganzeb residing. delhi or somewhre else.

i would love to know how many hindus lived in ganzi at that time?

if you can remeber who's katha it was please tell us.

the katha was actualy done by Bhai Balbir Singh Ji Hazoori Ragi. I will try to find it. I have also heard it by other gumukhs so will try to find it.

I cannot tell you where Aurengzeb was unfortunately due to not having that knowledge. i have only put foreward what ragi ji have said. will tryo to find out more

Right i phoned Sant Hari Singh Randhawe Walae to just clarify that i wasn't make what i said up. They pushed me to two sources which are freely available on the internet.

Both of these sources can be downloaded from www.ik13.com

1) The sri Mahankhosh. Page 2541 of the pdf document has the details of Bhai Nand Lal and states the sakhi where Bhai Sahib gave the meanings og the Quran to Aurngzeb who after hearing these meanings wanted to convert Bhai Nand Lal into a muslim. Due to this after seeing Bahadur Shah Bhai Nand Lal went to the shelter of Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji.

2) Sri Gurpartap Sooraj Granth. Rut 3, relates to a large portion of the granth which has details of Bhai Nand Lal Ji. In the PDF document the katha starts from page 244. In this opening Caoupai which is the 2nd pauri of the Adhiyai (24) it states that Bhai Nand Lal Ji were born into a Khatri family and vere Vaishno. It goes into the the education of Bhai Nand Lal. Pauri 17 states that Bhai Sahib met Bahadur Shah and their was much love between them and became close friends. During this time he heard of the glory of Guru Gobind Singh Ji and went to see them at Anandpur and made them their Guru but at the stay time stayed with his beloved friend Bahadur Shah (Pauri 37).

Adhiyai 25 is about Aurangzeb wanting to get a certain part of the Koran translated and he called many scholars of the time to his court but all failed to give the meaning he required. When all failed Aurengzeb asked Bahadur Shah to give the meanings but he tiold his father he would give the meanings after midday (Pauri 10). The following pauris up until 17 talk about Bahadur Shah going home and asking Bhai Nand Lal the meanings of the stanza of the Quran. In 18th pauri it states after hearing the meanings of the stanza Bahadur Shah was pleased and in pauri 20 he explained the meanings of the of the stanza and all were shocked Aurangzeb realised that Bahadur Shah did not have the knowledge to give this meaning on his own accord and asked where he had gained this knowledge from. In Pauri 23 he mentions that he got the knowledge from his Mir.

In Pauri 24 Aurangzeb asks for this mir to be brought into his court and in Bhai Nand Lal arrives in Pauri 25.

Pauri 26 starts off with - 'Ih Tou Hindu Hai Matvinda' meaning this knowledgable scholar is a hindu (this is the thought going through the mind of Aurangzeb)

'Ih Aneeti Mujh Nahee Suhanda' - This is not good and i do not like it.

'Deen Bikhai Is Ko Lai Aavoh' - He should be brought into the fold of Islam

'Jayo Kayo Kar Neekai Samajahu' - this should be done in whichever way possible.

In Pauri 27 Aurangzeb goes on further thinkingthat Bhai Nand Lal should be converted by any means necessary.

In Parui 28 Aurangzeb says to Bahadur Shah that he should bring Nand Lal to Islam by any means.

In Pauri 29 Bahadur Shah tells Bhai Nand Lal of his father intentions.

The following Paruis explain how Bahadur Shah tells him, that wether he runs or stays it was his duty to warn his friend. Bhai Nand Lal Leaves and goes into the shelter of Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji at Anandpur Sahib

And Adhiyai 26 then starts off with Bhai Nand Lal Ji in the presence of Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji.

If neither of you belive what i have written readi ti for yourself.

Also worth reading is the Sri Gurpartap Sooraj Granth Steek by Dr Ajit Singh Alukh (Steek 09) and from page 633 you can find this katha with the arths.

I wanted to put this up earlied but there are certain people on the thread or were on the thread that would ridicule this. Even with the supportive texts they could make one who knows the grass is green believe it is actually blue!!

Again i must reiterate all that you have read above is not from my knowledge (buddhi) but that from the Sadhus who i am blessed with the company of.

Blessed are the saints who have made me gain an interest in the Lord.