Brahm kavach

Vaheguru ji ka khalsa vaheguru ji ki fateh

das was wondering if anybody could enlightem me on where brahm kavach is found, it can be found in budha dal gutka sahib, but the reference does not state the granth it is from, i have yet to come across it in dasam granth sahib.

thank you in advance

Brahm kavach is a bola of Guru Hargobind, it is part of Nihang oral tradition.It is to be recited 32 times and is supposed to protect against black magic. It is mentioned in passing in Chandi Charitra. Old gutke from warriors contains much material of that kind. Bhai Maharaj Singh's gutka for example contained mantras to invoke yoginis, female magical entities that accompany the goddes Kali or Durga.

• 2 weeks later...

why wud a singh need the yoginis and female magical entities that accompany the goddes Kali or Durga, when they already have the "chandi " in thier hands, the Bhagauti, Sri Sahib etc.

as for Nihang Singhs why want these shakti's when they have the army of the Shaheed Singhs and 96 million strong army?

32 japs of brahm kavach and the enemy could have his weapon on your head by the time syou have done 3 or 4 repetitions whereas "chandi" only takes a second to invoke. which one would you choose?

i know which one i would choose.

great post "chatanga"

Can anyone honestly tell me what is more powerful than Vaheguru himself? Gurmantar is Vaheguru himself and i believe that I need his power only, the power which is sitting inside me, watching me 24/7, dam dam sadha samaldha dham na birtha jaae. I need no mantar jantar, I need only to be pleasing to my lord and that is when I have EVERYTHING.

and insult me all you want, makes no difference, you are only insulting yourself- sabh mai jot jot hai soee tis de chanan sabh mai chanan hoee

I can understand fully why everyone is so ready to except these complicated drawn out things, its maya its a distraction. Our minds were designed so that we always will go for falsehood instead of truth. Understand the teachings of maharaj who is sitting with us and he will tell you the one thing, the one shabad, which is truth alone.

You may feel you are more learned than me with your knowledge of of different aarths of Gurbani, geetas, vedas, history etc. yes you are more knowledgable than me, but these boil down to nothing in the end. Simple innocent love and faith are all that matters, whether this seems to you like a fairy i don't know and dont care.

ਮਾਝ ਮਹਲਾ ੫ ॥

Mājẖ mehlā 5.

Maajh, Fifth Mehl:

ਸਫਲ ਸੁ ਬਾਣੀ ਜਿਤੁ ਨਾਮੁ ਵਖਾਣੀ ॥

Safal so baṇī jiṯ nām vakẖāṇī.

Blessed are those words, by which the Naam is chanted.

ਗੁਰ ਪਰਸਾਦਿ ਕਿਨੈ ਵਿਰਲੈ ਜਾਣੀ ॥

Gur parsāḏ kinai virlai jāṇī.

Rare are those who know this, by Guru's Grace.

ਧੰਨੁ ਸੁ ਵੇਲਾ ਜਿਤੁ ਹਰਿ ਗਾਵਤ ਸੁਨਣਾ ਆਏ ਤੇ ਪਰਵਾਨਾ ਜੀਉ ॥੧॥

Ḏẖan so vėlā jiṯ har gāvaṯ sunṇā ā­ė ṯė parvānā jī­o. ||1||

Blessed is that time when one sings and hears the Lord's Name. Blessed and approved is the coming of such a one. ||1||

ਸੇ ਨੇਤ੍ਰ ਪਰਵਾਣੁ ਜਿਨੀ ਦਰਸਨੁ ਪੇਖਾ ॥

Sė nėṯar parvāṇ jinī ḏarsan pėkẖā.

Those eyes which behold the Blessed Vision of the Lord's Darshan are approved and accepted.

ਸੇ ਕਰ ਭਲੇ ਜਿਨੀ ਹਰਿ ਜਸੁ ਲੇਖਾ ॥

Sė kar bẖalė jinī har jas lėkẖā.

Those hands which write the Praises of the Lord are good.

ਸੇ ਚਰਣ ਸੁਹਾਵੇ ਜੋ ਹਰਿ ਮਾਰਗਿ ਚਲੇ ਹਉ ਬਲਿ ਤਿਨ ਸੰਗਿ ਪਛਾਣਾ ਜੀਉ ॥੨॥

Sė cẖaraṇ suhāvė jo har mārag cẖalė ha­o bal ṯin sang pacẖẖāṇā jī­o. ||2||

Those feet which walk in the Lord's Way are beautiful. I am a sacrifice to that Congregation in which the Lord is recognized. ||2||

ਸੁਣਿ ਸਾਜਨ ਮੇਰੇ ਮੀਤ ਪਿਆਰੇ ॥

Suṇ sājan mėrė mīṯ pi­ārė.

Listen, O my beloved friends and companions:

ਸਾਧਸੰਗਿ ਖਿਨ ਮਾਹਿ ਉਧਾਰੇ ॥

Sāḏẖsang kẖin māhi uḏẖārė.

in the Saadh Sangat, the Company of the Holy, you shall be saved in an instant.

ਕਿਲਵਿਖ ਕਾਟਿ ਹੋਆ ਮਨੁ ਨਿਰਮਲੁ ਮਿਟਿ ਗਏ ਆਵਣ ਜਾਣਾ ਜੀਉ ॥੩॥

Kilvikẖ kāt ho­ā man nirmal mit ga­ė āvaṇ jāṇā jī­o. ||3||

Your sins will be cut out; your mind will be immaculate and pure. Your comings and goings shall cease. ||3||

ਦੁਇ ਕਰ ਜੋੜਿ ਇਕੁ ਬਿਨਉ ਕਰੀਜੈ ॥

Ḏu­ė kar joṛ ik bin­o karījai.

With my palms pressed together, I offer this prayer:

ਕਰਿ ਕਿਰਪਾ ਡੁਬਦਾ ਪਥਰੁ ਲੀਜੈ ॥

Kar kirpā dubḏā pathar lījai.

please bless me with Your Mercy, and save this sinking stone.

ਨਾਨਕ ਕਉ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਭਏ ਕ੍ਰਿਪਾਲਾ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਨਾਨਕ ਮਨਿ ਭਾਣਾ ਜੀਉ ॥੪॥੨੨॥੨੯॥

Nānak ka­o parabẖ bẖa­ė kirpālā parabẖ Nānak man bẖāṇā jī­o. ||4||22||29||

God has become merciful to Nanak; God is pleasing to Nanak's mind. ||4||22||29||

if you read braham kavach it tells you what you will get by repeating it and NOWHERE does it mention protection against black magic - golestan and his black magic myths....

it does mention that reading this baani invokes courage and bir ras in the warrior, wisdom in the sage, and stability in the householder

In my opinion, doing Jaap of Naam or Gurbani is better than any thing when wanting protection against black magic, Jadoo-Tonaa.

Just within Guru Granth Sahib Jee we have many Shabad which can be recited for protection. Just open a Taksali Sundar Gutka and read the Rakhiyaa Dhe Shabad(right before Kirtan Sohila) which also protects against such negative entities, Jadoo-Tonaa.

Silence,

it is not about what mantr is more powerful etc etc, and yes mul mantr is different from gurmant - one is called mul mantr and one is called gurmantr. The objective of a mantr is to envoke a state of mind, jao of mul mantr and jap of bij mantr and jap of gurmantr all lead to the same direction but yet have different effects on our mind. This is what most mahapursh say and those who have performed deep penance of these mantrs, maybe they just werent at your avastha.

Banis have specific purpose, i.e. sukhmani sahib give peace, should we not read sukhmani sahib and just do simran instead; doesnt seem to be anything wrong with this in theory. However, it begs the question as to why maharaj wrote sukhmani sahib. Sukhmani sahib provides one peace which provides a stable and peaceful state of mind for one to do simran.

Similarly many bania are written for Dharam Yudh- this message resonaates through dasam bani. Reading jung judh bania provide a state of mind where one can fight war both internally and externally. Furthermore, it creates an inner environment (like sukhmani sahib), some people may prefare doing their simran in this state of mind.

Saying to nihang singhs to forget about these bani is like saying to the sants not to do japp of sukhmani sahib which pretty much every sants extensively does. (this is of course an extreme example but nonetheless puts across the point).

Gurbani encourages us to jap nam and assists us in our day to day living, if you are complete and perfect in every single way then by all means disregards the the great bania of our Gurus and carry on with you life. But your advice doesnt help others who are not at your 'level' and infact causes confusion.

Unbreakable, hope thats more helpful.

Gurfateh