~rare Picture Of Sant Isher Singh Ji Rara Sahib~

I remember as a kid in the gallery at Rara Sahib all the paintings and photos of Baba Ji - even in Military Uniform ( were they ever in the Army??).

One thing that becomes apparent is that they had a great sense of style!

Yes, they were in the army and did have a great sense of style. They used to say that this (human) jooni is the highest and a vehicle to become one with Waheguru. So even the sareer, which never let them down during Bhagti, should be taken care of and be well dressed etc.

Due to them being in the army, they were famous for always being on time at every divaan. The only time they were known to get serious was when sevadaars doing transport seva were running late!!

I think they also kept their military watch with them when travelling also!

Shaheediyan - their reasoning behind always being on time was that every second is precious. Also, it is disrespectful to keep Guru Ji / Sangat waiting by turning up late for a Deevan.

They weren't alone in this. I know of some Mahapursh from the same Samparda who live their lives according to a strict timetable. Even getting up at Amritvela is to the second! It's very, very hard doing sewa of such Mahapursh.

Does anybody know where he got his education from?

Also, did he take Amrit and become Khalsa? As you can see, he has his hair down, hence the question.

Thanks for the pictures N30

As you can from the questions, I know very little about this man. I visited his dera in Ludhiana this june, very nice place, loads of photos all around the hall upstairs.

Here you go, check out this picture and his biography..this should most of your questions:

far left:

Sant%20Maharaj%20Ji%20and%20Singh

his biography:

http://www.bhorasahib.com/Jeevan%20Sakhi.htm

I believe that when these mahan-hasti's get to the stage they are at they can dispense with things like kirpan kanga etc.

A bit like when you join an army. At the begining you follow strict rules and regulations,dress and protocols ; but as you pass basic training and get promoted you follow diffrent rules.

orrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

could it not be the over emphasis on how people treat kakkars?

kirpan has a reason to be worn, as well as kara, but most people don't understand why. kara was given as a shastar, as states gurbilas patshahi 6, and wearing shastar is needed if one wants to take that specific path of a soorma, nihung etc. i mean nirmalay have worn kakkars, but some are not strict on it, and its not considered a big deal.

however if your a nihung and your outside without many shastar or kamarkasa on, then thats just disgraceful. i think its a matter of what path you choose to take.

They were very strict in Rehat and demanded the same from other Singhs as well. I was told the story behind this photo a long time ago but don't remember properly.....

As has been said before, true Bhramgianis become One with Waheguru. After that point, they don't need to do anything - paap and punn are the same.

It is important to follow the teachings and not try to imitate the teacher.

Matheen has a good point. We need to follow the teachings of these great mahpursh, not imitate them as if we are on the same spiritual level. I don't know what the point was behind posting these pictures, but people who are thinking of doing Kakaar dhi Dhil after seeing this picture should only do so if they think they are on the same spiritual level of Sant Ishar Singh Jee.

are the guru sahiban (who we all agree are one with Rab) not people who we are trying to imitate? in behaviour? in character? in lifestyle?

There is a Tuk in Gurbani which tells us not to copy them (I can't remember the exact words, maybe someone else will post it).

Our duty is to humbly follow Guru Ji's instructions - they know what is best for us. Of course we can learn from their actions as well but always keep their teachings parvaan.

You have to be careful when it comes to 'imitate' - e.g. Ram Rahim......