Nirmalay and the usage of Shaheedi Degh

jsingh96

akaal,

was wondering if nirmalay have been known to use shaheedi degh doing their simran or early morning bhagati.

i have read baba jawala singh ji maharaj made some degh for a sick nihung singh to cure him, but nothing on any nirmalay using it as a tool for meditation.

any ideas? (no need for the "its wrong")

No they are not known for using shaheedi degh for simran or early morning bhakti.

That sakhi of baba jawala singh ji maharaj giving shaheedi degh to nihang singh was posted from jivan kiranie book, it was put fwd to counter attack gurmat/manmat mentality or black and white sikhi that, yes sikhi is not just black and white but grey too (exceptional cases in them).

Baba Inderjit Singh, a student of the Bhindran Kalan Taksal, is known for taking shaheedi degh. But then again, he took amrit from Budha dal, and then moved to Bhindran to study Brahm vidiya, amongest other things.

Any other thoughts? Do they think its not an advisable practise? Or are they really open, and its up to the individual?

Its dangerous to talk of a 'they' but on this issue Nirmalay are agreed. It is not acceptable at all. I have never seen a nirmala take shaheedi degh, mainly because for nirmalay it is tamoguni khalsa maryada, while they are to remain sattavguni. Nirmalay tend to look down on it. From my knowledge of cannabis its far less like samadhi and far more like sukhopati. It clouds (tamogun) or increases vritti (rajogun) rather than focusing them. Ekaagar is not something that happens with bhang, only numbness or firing thoughts. Udasis use it nowadays, but I've not been around any who can tell me about it. Shaivite sadhus see it as a blessing from shiv maharaj, a special herb to heighten meditation.

As much as Tsingh is right in terms of not generalising when it comes to Nirmalas. I do nevertheless remember Baba Sher Singh telling me about shahidi degh being used in older times by Nirmalas for prolonged meditation sessions. There is also pictural evidence of shahidi degh being served at Baba Vir Singh's langar. I will provide you with the picture and close up detail soon. But Tsingh is right regarding the position of most nirmalas on shahidi degh.