Has anyone read Saruktavali?

Yes i have read the Sarkutavali, very good text, part of the early learning in taksal and the nirmala sampardas.

Covers topics such as:

Adhiyai 01 : Dharam

Adhiyai 02 : Guru

Adhiyai 03 : Avidiya, Upma, Seva

Adhiyai 04 : Gyan

Adhiyai 05 : Vichar

Adhiyai 06 : 8 abstances

Adhiyai 07 : Mantar and Sargun

etc it goes on for 15 adhiyai and is worth reading over again and again.

The steek by Bhai Bhagwaan Singh is really poor so i think you have been misinformed. I suggest the teeka by Sachkhand vasi Sant (Mahant) Surjit Singh Ji Sevapanthi which is called the 'Sidhant Bhandar'. You can pick it up for 100 rupees

Sarkutavali Katha has been recorded by Giani Hardeep Singh Ji Hazoor Sahib Walae but i have to get it sent over from Hazoor Sahib due to the number of tapes along with their handwritten teeka. Will post it up when i get it

Sri Narayan Hari Updesh is awesome, lots of Vedantic texts are quoted, very difficult to pronounce all the quotes correctly. I forgot which Nirmala Pandit wrote it but it has to be a gem amongst the literature avaialable. The Sakhia in it are fantastic. I dont really know how else to describe it.

If you do not have Sri Narayan Hari Updesh i suggest it to all as a must have!!!

Kam's absolutely correct, avoid all of gyani bhagvan singh's steeks like the plague. They contain lots of errors. I even recall hearing Jathedar Vedanti quoting from Saruktavali at a smagam a year ago or so.

Sri Narayan Hari Updesh is exactly that, the updesh of Sri (Pandit) Narayan Hari, Hari being a surname used by Nirmalay occasionally (often when writing in Hindi, Pandit Tara Singh Ji did the same and this text above was originally also in hindi). Pandit Narayan Singh Ji was one of the greatest saints and pandits of his era. Nirmal Virakat Kutiya in Haridvar was his asthan. The text is immense. It is written by Pandit Hardev Singh Ji and quotes liberally from a vast array of sanskrit vedantic material.

• 7 years later...

Dal and others, if you want to have a look at Saruktavali Granth, you can here, but it is the Gyani Bhagwan Singh one which doesn't seem to be too good as per previous comments :

http://www.scribd.com/doc/119933438/Saruktavali-Steek-Pandit-Hardayal-Ji

Nice one.

As long as it has the original text, we can draw our own conclusions about the interpretation.  

• 8 months later...
Guest Rajesh Dogra

I have read Sri Hari Updesh by Pandit ji.........it is really an Astounding work and speaks volumes about the depth of Pandit ji........regarding Vedas,shahstras and many many Garanaths..........................Really highly scholarly content.....Can hardly be matched by the current generation preachers/missioneries/interpreters of SGGS.-Rajesh 9872289049

2 hours ago, amardeep said:

Im reading an english translation at the moment. It's really an awesome granth.

I take it that it must be Kam's translation? 

The chapter on Vidiya is my favorite so far. It talks about who is entitled to knowledge, what qualities a teacher and students are to posses, which lifestyle one should adopt in the time period where you are in the process of learning etc.

"Who should a teacher give knowledge to? It should only be given to those students who can appreicate it. Those students who are willing to travel long distances to learn. Those who are not worthy should not be given higher knowledge".

• 1 year later...
On 26/8/2008 at 11:52 PM, tSingh said:

Kam's absolutely correct, avoid all of gyani bhagvan singh's steeks like the plague. They contain lots of errors. I even recall hearing Jathedar Vedanti quoting from Saruktavali at a smagam a year ago or so.

Sri Narayan Hari Updesh is exactly that, the updesh of Sri (Pandit) Narayan Hari, Hari being a surname used by Nirmalay occasionally (often when writing in Hindi, Pandit Tara Singh Ji did the same and this text above was originally also in hindi). Pandit Narayan Singh Ji was one of the greatest saints and pandits of his era. Nirmal Virakat Kutiya in Haridvar was his asthan. The text is immense. It is written by Pandit Hardev Singh Ji and quotes liberally from a vast array of sanskrit vedantic material.

I finally managed to get this book. It’s huge, almost 1000 pages long in big pages and small letters. Looking forward to studying it. 

On 20/05/2016 at 7:09 PM, chatanga1 said:

This will be next on my reading list.

I started it some time ago but never did much with it.

59 minutes ago, amardeep said:

I finally managed to get this book. It’s huge, almost 1000 pages long in big pages and small letters. Looking forward to studying it. 

The teekas that we have been discussing here, are they abridged versions ?   My Saruktavali teekas are very small books.

23 hours ago, amardeep said:

The manglacharan is to Vishnu and Ganesh. Do you  find anything unusual about this Amardeep?

I looked again through my copy. The poetic standard of Brij is quite complex here, more complex than say Sri Charitropakhyan Granth. It reminds me a lot of Gurbilas Patshahi 10 by Koer Singh in terms of difficulty.

However one of the good things about my copy is that it explains the meaning of words, so is very helpful in developing understanding of Brij.

11 minutes ago, amardeep said:

Mine has oankaar, the devi, Ganesha, the ten gurus and then his vidiyaguru.  One always has to look at the first one to see who is the author an upaashak of.

OK Im adding the first page to the end of this post. can  you put one up as well pl ease?

11 minutes ago, amardeep said:

Which verses are you referring to that are difficult ? 

All of it. well the first few pages I're read so far.

saruktavali.jpg