Yug Dharma

I came across a text on yug dharma and wondered what is considered the Yug Dharma of Kalyuga?

Hindu sacred writings are broken into two groups: Śruti writings (such as the Vedas) regarded as timeless in character, and Smriti, writings that focus on less timeless elements. Sanatan Dharma is based on the Shruti writings, while Yuga Dharma is based on the Smitris.

Hindu sacred writings are broken into two groups: Śruti writings (such as the Vedas) regarded as timeless in character, and Smriti, writings that focus on less timeless elements. Sanatan Dharma is based on the Shruti writings, while Yuga Dharma is based on the Smitris.

Some scholars describe Santan dharma as the overall, unchanging and abiding principals of dharma, and describe Yuga dharma as a lesser aspect of dharma, since it is constantly changing. Such scholars distinguish Sanatan dharma as the dharma of religion, and Yuga dharma as the dharma of social interaction: law, ethics, etiquette and so on.

Swami Vivekananda describes the distinction between them in this way. Of Sanatan dharma, he says:

We know that in our books, a clear distinction is made between two sets of truths. The one set is that which abides for ever, being built upon the nature of man, the nature of the soul, the soul's relation to God, the nature of God, perfection and so on; there are also the principles of cosmology, of the infinitude of creation, or more correctly speaking, projection, the wonderful law of cyclical procession, and so on; these are eternal principles founded upon the universal laws of nature.

Of Yuga dharma, he says:

The other set comprises the minor laws, which guide the working of our everyday life. They belong more properly to the Puranas, to the Smrtis, and not to the Sruti. These have nothing to do with the other principles. Even in India, these minor laws have been changing all the time. Customs of one age, of one yuga, have not been the customs of another, and as yuga come after yuga, they will still have to change. [1]

very beatiful but could anyone(especially tsingh ji) tell me what the hindu scriptures say about the dharam of this yuga

Guru Nanak Dev Ji in Raag Raamkalee on Pannaa 902

Raamkalee, First Mehla, Ashtpadeeaa:

The same moon rises, and the same stars; the same sun shines in the sky.The earth is the same, and the same wind blows. The age in which we dwell affects living beings, but not these places. ||1||

Those who act like tyrants are accepted and approved - recognize that this is the sign of the Dark Age of Kali Yuga. ||1||Pause||

Kali Yuga has not been heard to have come to any country, or to be sitting at any sacred shrine.

It is not where the generous person gives to charities, nor seated in the mansion he has built. ||2||

If someone practices Truth, he is frustrated; prosperity does not come to the home of the sincere.

If someone chants the Lord's Name, he is scorned. These are the signs of Kali Yuga. ||3||

Whoever is in charge, is humiliated. Why should the servant be afraid,

when the master is put in chains? He dies at the hands of his servant. ||4||

Chant the Praises of the Lord; Kali Yuga has come.

The justice of the previous three ages is gone. One obtains virtue, only if the Lord bestows it. ||1||Pause||

In this turbulent age of Kali Yuga, Muslim law decides the cases, and the blue-robed Qazi is the judge.

The Guru's Bani has taken the place of Brahma's Veda, and the singing of the Lord's Praises are good deeds. ||5||

Worship without faith; self-discipline without truthfulness; the ritual of the sacred thread without chastity - what good are these?

You may bathe and wash, and apply a ritualistic tilak mark to your forehead, but without inner purity, there is no understanding. ||6||

In Kali Yuga, the Koran and the Bible have become famous.

The Pandit's scriptures and the Puraanas are not respected.

O Nanak, the Lord's Name now is Rehmaan, the Merciful.

Know that there is only One Creator of the creation. ||7||

Nanak has obtained the glorious greatness of the Naam, the Name of the Lord. There is no action higher than this.

If someone goes out to beg for what is already in his own home, then he should be chastised. ||8||1||

Some people take this to be some sort of authority/confirmation that the Koran is the dharma of this age.

I doubt it, because the shabad is actually saying that with the coming of kal jug, the Koran (Katebas) has become famous. This goes with the earlier line that "Those who act like tyrants are accepted and approved - recognize that this is the sign of the Dark Age of Kali Yuga. ||1||Pause|| "

If anything, Guru Ji is saying the opposite.......

Of course it is.

Signs of Kalyug are not just negative ones, but also postives - those that help us to cross the dreadful world ocean.

In your 'haste' brother, you forgot to quote the complete tuk, may this will clarify matters further: "and the singing of the Lord's Praises are good deeds."

Guru Amardas used the term Yug Dharma in one shabad:

Learn the Dharma of this age, O Siblings of Destiny; (Is Yug ka dharam parahu)

all understanding is obtained from the Perfect Guru.

So according to Gurmat, it is the Guru who brings the knowledge and moral and etchical rules in this age.

But im not interested in what Gurbani says about this, im mostly interested in what hindu scriptures have to say about this

Gods name is Rahman, amongst others, and that Sharia was the law that Sat-Guru witnessed being followed during the turmoilous era of his grace, is nothing but an observation of the law that the tryrants brought with them.

If Sharia is good or bad is another subject. For those that desire to learn and follow it with a true and compassionate heart, I don't see it as bad, for those who wish to enforce it on others ..... well, let's justsay i wouldn't wish them a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Sharia law is the law for Muslims - and to a lesser extent, for thopse living in Islamic states, that's all that needs to be said and understood on the subject.

Outside of that, man has been given (by God) and/or created his own laws over the course of time. Law is an evolving animal and one that even the most primitive tribes have a workable version of.

As I have said before, even Sharia needs to be updated. How would the Sharia concerning slaves apply to todays society for instance.

Shaheediyan wrote:

"Sharia law is the law for Muslims - and to a lesser extent, for thopse living in Islamic states, that's all that needs to be said and understood on the subject.

Outside of that, man has been given (by God) and/or created his own laws over the course of time. Law is an evolving animal and one that even the most primitive tribes have a workable version of.

As I have said before, even Sharia needs to be updated. How would the Sharia concerning slaves apply to todays society for instance."

1. Sharia is the law God gives humanity through his prophets.

2. Who decides of the evolution of law, God or man? And if it is man with which authority?

3. Sharia needs to updated? Who has the authority to update it? As for the slave question, in absence of a situation that is conducive to slavery there doesn't need to be an application of the sharia laws on slavery such as:

- slaves can only be captives of war

- they receive a salary and decent clothes

- intercourse with them can only happen if the agree (raping slaves is haram)

If you take a close look at the United States of America you'll find out that it hasn't abolished slavery either:

AMENDMENT XIII

Passed by Congress January 31, 1865. Ratified December 6, 1865.

Section 1.

Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction.

Section 2.

Congress shall have power to enforce this article by appropriate legislation.

"except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction."

What do you think forced labour is? It's slavery!

I have no problem with the concept of law changing I just have an issue about who has the authority to change it.And that can only be someone sent by God none else.

It is man that has made Sharia, that the thousands of 'experts on Sharia' have enlarged it to cover all aspects of life BASED on the koran and selective Hadiths, in my opinion, makes it man made and perhaps, God influenced.

The same goes for all the law systems of the world.

The example you have given is crap. It talks of 'punishment' of criminals as opposed to the notion of taking away an innocent man or womens freedom.

Slavery is outdated. Therefore the Dharam-Shaastras and Koranic Laws relating to slavery are outdated. Proving that laws need to evolve to reflect changing human culture andf thinking.

Shaheediyan wrote:

"It is man that has made Sharia, that the thousands of 'experts on Sharia' have enlarged it to cover all aspects of life BASED on the koran and selective Hadiths, in my opinion, makes it man made and perhaps, God influenced.

The same goes for all the law systems of the world.

The example you have given is crap. It talks of 'punishment' of criminals as opposed to the notion of taking away an innocent man or womens freedom.

Slavery is outdated. Therefore the Dharam-Shaastras and Koranic Laws relating to slavery are outdated. Proving that laws need to evolve to reflect changing human culture andf thinking."

1. You are confusing fiqh with sharia which makes me wonder if you are at all competent to comment on this issue. Fiqh is the science of sharia. It has freedom of interpretation within the bounds laid down by the hadiths and the Quran.So it is not a man made institution.

2. Islam doesn't permit taking away the freedom of innocent people. I agree that sharia has been ignored by certain Arab tribes in Africa but that doesn't take away the fact that the law is the law. You spoke of taking the freedom away from innocent people right? Here is an interesting text:

"If on keeps slaves, whether purchased, captured, or released from bandits, the procedure is as follows. If some parents seel their children to meet their expenses or for any other reason, the purchaser should obtain from the parents written permission properly witnessed. The written testimony should state:

"I give my children to (the buyer named) to work (for him) for (thenumber specified) years and in exchange I have received (the number specified) rupees. He will take responsibility for the feeding and clothing of the child. The clothing which they are given must be sufficient to cover their bodies. Whatever kind of food is given to them must be sufficient to satisfy them."

The child who is sold in that manner must remain on duty day and night. His parents may visit him. These same parents will be his surety.If the parents should want to have their children back they may not do so unitl they have returned the money.

Prem Sumarg Granth

Now in Islam slavery is limited to two cases: captives of war and people born in slavery.On top of that Muslims were highly encouraged to free their slaves as an act of great merit.

I won't comment on the Prem Sumarg extract. It speaks for itself.

3. The example I gave is not crap as it perfectly illustrates the Islamic position: slavery is an exceptional situation and is reserved for war captives not innocent people.

Shaheediyan wrote:

"How are women and children war captives?

They are not fighting in the war, so why were they enslaved?

I suppose if the US or it's allies were to enslave Muslim women and children today, then Sharia, being the law for humanity, would not apply somehow...?

"

Re-read my post. The slavery status applies to two kinds of situations: people already born in captivity and who guardianship is acquired by a Muslim and war captives. So women and children would fall under the first category.

There is one instance though where sources seem to diverge, the case of the Bani Quraiza, a Jewish tribe that had broken a treaty they had signed with the Prophet and who had allied themselves to the Meccans against the Prophet. The male members of the tribe were executed for treason and the women and children were entrusted to a Jewish convert. The fate of the tribe itself was subject to arbitration as this case involved another tribe, the Aws from whom an arbitror was chosen upon whom the Khuraiza and Muslim both agreed. In any case the fact that the women and children were entrusted to a Jewish convert proves that they were to be treated with dignity.

"The slavery status applies to two kinds of situations: people already born in captivity and who guardianship is acquired by a Muslim and war captives. So women and children would fall under the first category"

Question - how do women and children come to bne in the 1st category?

Women and children of defeated opponents were captured and taken in as slaves.