Indian and Persian Club Swinging

Mystical

Well ask Akali Baba Baba Surjit Singh then unless you want to call him a liar. There is a SOAS thesis coming out soon about how Nihangs were sent to Afghanistan by Ranjit Singh to rape Afghan women. We'll see how you react to that. And yes the author of it is a Sikh.

i know the person who said that, it was by a singh , who is on this board, Itvinder Singh.

That is totally false information, and he is not a crediable source. the singhs i know who have met baba ji have said no way in hell he would say that

Well ask Akali Baba Baba Surjit Singh then unless you want to call him a liar.

So that statement appears to have some validity to it...

But then...

One of Niddar's close students swore Akali Baba Surjit Singh said but I have heard it from other sources.

So, let's look at this again. Morghe say's we should ask Baba Surjit Singh, the implication being that Morghe has heard it from the mouth of Baba Surjit Singh. But then he says he heard it from one of Niddar's boys and he 'swore' on it!

Just why does this not make any sense. Morghe left Niddar's boys because he claims they gave him some bacon sandwiches or something without his knowledge. Now he says he believes one of Niddar's boys because he 'swore' on it! With such a logical mindset is there any wonder that he found the 'truth' of Shia Islam!!

There is a SOAS thesis coming out soon about how Nihangs were sent to Afghanistan by Ranjit Singh to rape Afghan women. We'll see how you react to that. And yes the author of it is a Sikh.

It seems that these kinds thesis from SOAS seem to be coming out left right and centre. Didn't you once make the stupid unsubstantiated statement about the Sikh men and women of the 18th century shaving hair in the gupt area based on a SOAS 'scholar' friend of yours! Now we hear Maharaja Ranjit Singh had 'rape' squads. The mind boggles!

Are you sure you are not confusing the actions of your co-religionists of Sudan in Darfur?

On a seperate note, I would like to apologise to the sangat for my misleading and rash statement re pehlvani being extinct in Iran.

After having read up on the tradition of Zurkhaneh/Pehlvani and Javanmardi (which are all interlinked), I can say that it is far from dead, in fact there seems to be a big revivalist movement going on. Also, the tradition doesn't seem to be unique to Iran, but also the neighbouring countries too - with similarities to teh Central Asian and Mongolion traditions (for obvious reasons).

Just out of interest, not that I doubted it's age, but the tradition in Persia stems (at the least) from the times of the original writing of the famous Shahnama

Dhanvaad.

Matheen wrote:

"Probably existed in some form in the Indus Valley civilisations (the oldest formal settlements ever found - in the Pakistani side of Punjab)."

We have no evidence to show that pahlavani has anything to do with the Indus valley. In fact what the Indus valley actually was is still an issue of debate among Indologists. Sure is that Pahlavani has its roots in the Sassanid period and maybe beyond, this of course based on records we have about the ecucation of the Sassanid chivalric nobility.

• 6 years later...

Well ask Akali Baba Baba Surjit Singh then unless you want to call him a liar. There is a SOAS thesis coming out soon about how Nihangs were sent to Afghanistan by Ranjit Singh to rape Afghan women. We'll see how you react to that. And yes the author of it is a Sikh.

Really? Is there a copy of this?