Sankat Mochan

Fateh!

What is the history of Sankat Mochan (or Sharda Pooran Granth, as it is sometimes known)?

The legend is that the shabads and associated siddhis were compiled by Bhai Mani Singh for sangat who complained that they had to go to Brahmins, Tantrics and Pirs to get the solution to problems in their lives, and that Sankat Mochan was written to break this reliance that some had on these religious charlatans.

If this is the case, why are there different versions of Sankat Mochan, and why was it created when the general concensus in Sikhi seems to be that doing jaap for rewards like the one's described in the book is not congruent with the teachings of the Gurus?

If you feel that the shabads do have the siddhis associated with them, and that one can recite the shabads for specific purposes as suggested in the book, why is there such a stigma attached to the use of this book? Why do more Sikhs not perform the sadhanas described to improve their lives and that of the Panth as a whole?

Regards,

K.

In Gurbani Bhagat Kabir ji asks God for basic needs of life, such as food, a wife etc. This shows it's not against Gurmat to seek Divine help in our day to day lives.

There are different versions of the granth b/c, according to Giani Thakur Singh ji, some Sikhs felt other shabads or methods would work better so they changed Bhai Mani Singh ji's writings. Basically, hunkaar.

I think stigma attached to its use is due to modern day Sikhs who feel that Sikhi is 'simple and not complex'. They mistakenly think that use of the viddhis there will give no greater benefit than just sitting down, japping naam, and asking for what you want.

Dear Friends,

I have also though the same thing many times. My dad has a super old copy of Sharda Pooran Granth, printed by Boota Singh and Sons I think, really old copy it has about 200 shabads. It has the story by Bh. Mani Singh listed above.

I also have a copy of sankat Mochan it is by Sant Balvinder Singh (anyone know who this is?).

Sankat Mochan seems to be basically 40 day jaaps of a certain shabad (ussually 108 times a day) and Sharda Pooran seems to much longer jaaps and you have to have jot and dhoof and water kumbh etc, etc.

Similar things also come up in Bh.Santokh Singh writings about the Mahatam of Japjee Sahib.

One point though, there are no garauntee's. Even if you do bhagtee there is no garauntee God will accept you. The gifts are only received when he casts his glance upon us and gives it to us. Sometimes he gives without having to do jaaps, sometimes he gives after jaaps done, sometimes he doesn't give you what you want at all or after alot of tests which ususally take you to the a breaking point in life. In which nothing works and you feel broken on the inside...........but sometimes he doesn't do this at all. It' really hard to say.

Lots of people do jaaps for things but never get them...............it's hard sometimes to understand why or why not.

Somebody with higher knowledge pls enlighten us with more understanding and insight........I think Karaj Siddhi is the lower levels of bhagtee, gradually one see'e that it is a never ending circle of desires and one shoud move on towards being content.

When we do jaaps what is the idea behind the tests or imtihans????

Also which is the proper version of the Bh.Mani Singh sharda pooran granth?

In my opinion, Prem Bhagti (Sikhi Marg) is different to the type of Bhagti practiced for attaining ridhiyan sidhiyan.

A true devotee, as matter of course, gets shaktiyan indirectly, that is not the true devotees objective, his objective is worship and contemplate the creator selflessly through love.

Guru Ji says:

ਸੁਖ ਸਾਗਰ ਹਰਿ ਭਗਤਿ ਹੈ ਗੁਰਮਤਿ ਕਉਲਾ ਰਿਧਿ ਸਿਧਿ ਲਾਗੈ ਪਗਿ ਓਹੈ ॥

In my opinion, this pangati explains this subject perfectly.

• 6 years later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 4 months later...
Guest nobody

Xylitols language suggests that he directly talks to Guru everyday. "just sitting down japping naam..." This is derogatory in tone. Explore my friend don't pass judgements.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest guest
On 12 July 2016 at 4:09 PM, Guest nobody said:

On 18 June 2009 at 5:40 PM, Xylitol said:

They mistakenly think that use of the viddhis there will give no greater benefit than just sitting down, japping naam, and asking for what you want.

i dont this is mistaken.  it does seem that SGGS denounce such viddhis in favour of simple Naam Japa (with faith).

• 1 month later...
Guest Raman Singh

hey guys my name is raman singh. I'm trying to make an iphone app with sankat mochan paath but m having trouble finding an ebook. I currently have a pdf but the text is not copy and paste-able. If you can help me find it feel free to contact me at ramanjsingh@yahoo.com. Thanks

It's sad to see such a large number of people that disregard the true meanings of sikhi.

I would say that all of nowadays problems stem back to this deviation from core sikhi.  We need to understand HUKAM and need to understand why you are here?

We are here to bhog our karams as per the pre-destined lekha. Gurbani makes it explicitly clear that the only manner that a Sikh can  re-write their own lekha and wipe bad karams is by simran and japping naam to start raising your consciousness and vibration.

It saddens me that the Sikhs don't even go out of their way to understand what the ARDAS really means and what HUKAM is. Need to pay attention to what ardas says in regard to praying for strength/guidance to walk on the fine line of hukam....The same line of hukam that all the Gurus (consecutively named) walked on. Instead, we foolishly do ardas asking for the universal hukam to be changed by the ONE to fulfill our minds intentions.

• 3 years later...
On 6/18/2009 at 3:16 AM, Kaljug said:

Fateh!

What is the history of Sankat Mochan (or Sharda Pooran Granth, as it is sometimes known)?

The legend is that the shabads and associated siddhis were compiled by Bhai Mani Singh for sangat who complained that they had to go to Brahmins, Tantrics and Pirs to get the solution to problems in their lives, and that Sankat Mochan was written to break this reliance that some had on these religious charlatans.

If this is the case, why are there different versions of Sankat Mochan, and why was it created when the general concensus in Sikhi seems to be that doing jaap for rewards like the one's described in the book is not congruent with the teachings of the Gurus?

If you feel that the shabads do have the siddhis associated with them, and that one can recite the shabads for specific purposes as suggested in the book, why is there such a stigma attached to the use of this book? Why do more Sikhs not perform the sadhanas described to improve their lives and that of the Panth as a whole?

Regards,

K.

Brother Kalijug

in reality Sankat Mochan is the Bani itself, for the purpose of Guru Sahiban, Bhagat Jan and Gurmukh Jan, is to deliever us from the biggest sankat in which one can ever find oneself.

Everything else is secondary in comparison to that real sankat, for everything derives from that first and fundamental sankat. Thus solving that sankat, everything else fades out by itself.

So now the question is, what is that real "sankat"?

That real sankat, is the reality, that we are prisoners in the wheel of 84.  In which sometimes rarely we are up,  and mostly down. But in any case, very much prisoners in it. 

The purpose of Gurbani, is nothing more than that of awakening us to that Higher and Ultimate Truth of Waheguru,  then,  by  relying on His kirpa, do the real thing and free ourselves, to finally merge and become one with Him.

That is it.

So what is that real thing of freeing ourselves from the real "sankat" in which we are deeply rooted?

That real thing is the bhakti of H:is Saacha  Nao.

In that respect, the Bani tells us : Prabh ka Simran garb na baseh. His Saacha Nao, is our liberator, for it literally cuts off our strings with the "chaurasee ka chakar".

And the beauty is not only that one of freeing us, but, also reuninting us with our Origin / Waheguru Akal Purukh, for once and forever .

Is this not enough for us to be always happy and never ever feel discouraged?  What more grace do we want?  Why wsate away our life by keeping looking here and there when the way is laid for us by Maharaj?  Then too, we complain and say, Guru Jee why me, when we are in moments of pain and distress?

Gurbani is crystal clear  in what we must really do, then, if we do not follow implicity what Guru Jee tells us throughout the Bani, then who is to be blamed ? Waheguru the all merciful, or we the  proud "moorakhs"? 

The answer is quite clear and obvious, it is we, the " moorakh manmukhs".

Throughout our lives, we may expirement some type of inner experiences with different techniques, which we may find them fascinating, but, if we do nothing  in terms of doing that real thing of reuinting our surtees with our Origin, then pitifully, we have  done nothing, for we have wasted away our precious human life, thus we remain prisoners in the "sankat" of the wheel of 84.

Stay blessed.

SSA.