Gurbani talks about shabad, but what do they really mean?

In terms of Shabad, in Sidh Ghost Guru Nanak says Shabad is his Guru. Now is Shabad here referring to Gurbani, or is Shabad something more than just Gurbani.

Im wondering, do the terms we use today like, Shabad for Gurbani, really mean that in the writings of Guru Sahib?

Discuss.

Im wondering, do the terms we use today like, Shabad for Gurbani, really mean that in the writings of Guru Sahib?

Discuss.

There is also "Bani Guru, Guru Hai Bani, Vich Bani Amrit Sarey. GurBani Kahey Sewak Jan Maney Partakh Guru Nistare" (Ang 982). which does refer to Gurbani.

In "Shabad Guru, Surat Dhun Chela", there are quite a few interpretations (listen to Sant Gurbachan Singh Ji's katha). One is that Guru Ji is speaking of the surti's journey to the Dasam Duar and beyond to merging with Akaal Purkh - the Shabad (Gurmantar or Gurbani) is Guru, and Surti follows the dhuni to wherever it leads - this ties into the various stages of Simran (as explained by Sant Isher Singh Ji in the recording posted by N30 last week).

I haven't experienced Anhad Shabad myself, but Mahapursh who have say that even that is all Gurbani.

It makes sense because Gurbani is the jyot of Guru Sahib.

I haven't experienced Anhad Shabad myself, but Mahapursh who have say that even that is all Gurbani.

It makes sense because Gurbani is the jyot of Guru Sahib.

Do you think that Anhad Shabad could also be the Vedas and Upanishads? Because from Snatan thought it was the Rishis who could hear this anhad (unheard) music/scripture, that they wrote down, which were the vedas and upanishads.

So then to follow up on that question, are Vedas/Upanishads Shabad? What defines Shabad? Only bani from Adi Guru Granth Sahib? What about Dasam/Sarbloh? Or Bhai Gurdas Ji Varan, Bhai Nand Lal Goya's writtings

If Shabad is anything that leads ones surti beyond dasam duar through Naam, the Vedas have naam, (veda meh naam utam so sunai nahi, anand sahib).

Discuss

isrIrwgu mhlw 5 ]

sireeraag mehalaa 5 ||

Siree Raag, Fifth Mehla:

pUrw siqguru jy imlY pweIAY sbdu inDwnu ]

pooraa sathigur jae milai paaeeai sabadh nidhhaan ||

If we meet the Perfect True Guru, we obtain the Treasure of the Shabad.

Your Guru's words are your shabad. For us, that is Gurbani. I've never heard vedas etc being referred to as Shabad by any Sikh Mahapurkh who can hear Anhad shabad, and I don't want to get into a debate about whether or not other dharms actually lead to complete mukti.

Kam or tsingh probaby know more.....

• 1 month later...

Your Guru's words are your shabad. For us, that is Gurbani. I've never heard vedas etc being referred to as Shabad by any Sikh Mahapurkh who can hear Anhad shabad, and I don't want to get into a debate about whether or not other dharms actually lead to complete mukti.

Kam or tsingh probaby know more.....

Shabad Guru has two versions. First is anhad naad in the cosmos that is always going on. When guru ji said

Shabad guru surta dhun chela

The refrence was to anhad naad.

Second version is written one . that is gurbani. .

ਬਦੇ ਉਪਜੈ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਬਾਣੀ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਆਖਿ ਸੁਣਾਵਣਿਆ

Shabde upjai amrit Bani gurmukh aakh sunavaniyaa

The Ambrosial Word of the Guru’s Bani emanates from the Shabad.

Gurmukh narrates it and preaches to the world

Ang 125, SGGS ji

For a sikh Guru's path is the way to reach dasam Duar

chaaray bayd katheh aakaar.

The four Vedas speak only of the visible forms.

teen avasthaa kaheh vakhi-aan.

They describe and explain the three states of mind,

turee-aavasthaa satgur tay har jaan. ||1||

but the fourth state, union with the Lord, is known only through the True Guru. ||1||

ang 154 SGGS

• 3 weeks later...