Bhakti And Naam Japa

" Āvhu bẖaiṇe ṯusī milhu pi▫ārī▫ā. Jo merā parīṯam ḏase ṯis kai ha▫o vārī▫ā. "

Come, dear sisters-let us join together. I am a sacrifice to the one who tells me of my Beloved.

please let us share personal accounts and own experience about naam bhakti and naam japa. no theoretical discussions please!

let us put our differences aside and discuss the Master of us all.

anyone reading this please do contribute. anything is okay as long as it pertains to you own bhakti and naam japa. no comment is too small or irrelevant.

and please do not criticise anyones post. let us share and not comment on each other.

Fateh!

I don't know that many people are willing to share such experiences, since there seems to be a general concensus among Sikhs that private spiritual experiences are to be kep secret. Does anyone know why this is the case? To protect against haumai?

When I was about ten, I did some mool mantra jaap according to the instruction in an old Sharda Pooran that belonged to my dad. If I recall correctly, it was to do 10000 jaap in 10 days in order to obtain jivan mukhti. I did this not because I was particularly chardikala, but because I was very lazy - after I completed the jaap, I figured I wouldn't have to wake up at amritvela before school. The 'rents did not agree. :D

I feel I would have benefited in the past by the input of a more knowledgeable and chardikala Gursikh interpreting some experiences that would only really make sense to someone who had already experienced them, however, these days I think that openly asking for advice on a forum about such things is just likely to confuse people undergoing very personal experiences.

K.

The problem with reading about others experiences is the creation of expectation, rather than natural unadulterated experience - this normally hinders the prem element of bhagti, as the process becomes a technical one, progress of which people measure against other 'sharers' milestones.

This alongside the very powerful threat of ahankaar is most likely the reason Sikhs traditionally keep experiences gupt.

For a Brahmgiani to 'teach' is totally different ball game.

The problem with reading about others experiences is the creation of expectation, rather than natural unadulterated experience - this normally hinders the prem element of bhagti, as the process becomes a technical one, progress of which people measure against other 'sharers' milestones.

This alongside the very powerful threat of ahankaar is most likely the reason Sikhs traditionally keep experiences gupt.

For a Brahmgiani to 'teach' is totally different ball game.

Fateh!

Agreed, though sometimes milestones are useful simply to know that what one is experiencing is not uncommon and/or dangerous.

But I believe prem overrides all such concerns as Akal Purakh will show one the way if one has prem. In my personal case, I was led to St John of the Cross's description of "the dark night of the soul" when I was having difficulty understanding why all those beautiful feelings I was experiencing when starting simran had suddenly disappeared. I could have just asked the Mahapurush that my family visited, but I was too shy in those days; but likely Guru ji knew I was a bookwork when handed me a book that described the spiritual "dryness" as a normal thing that ends when the time is right.

Regards,

K.

uh thanks guys for turning this into a discussion LIKE I SPECIFICALLY ASKED NOT TO. LOL

kaljug it would have been fine for you to say 'oh i feel nothing but i carried on'. but instead you turned it into a discussion topic. very telling.

i think the point has been misunderstood (my fault i wasnt clear?). i was not asking about personal experiences, which are obviously personal in their nature. what i meant was personal talk about how to approach bhakti? i mean to encourage each other as a sangat? devotional aspects.

also if people read any quotes about Prabh but they want to share, please do. or even any (short) sakhis.

please people no essay type responses here... cough cough

With every passing moment I realize how sinful I am , no matter how hard I try my each breath will be sinful. But Guru is all powerful , he has a different plan for every Gursikh and I am hopeful he has one for me as well.

And whatever he wants he gets it done by me.

My expectations are nill, but I am only hopeful ,

In the end all I want is His lotus feet to reside in my heart, given he has cleaned the heart himself before permanently residing there.

more observations

pain and doubt and anxiety is fuel for naam japa/bhakti. just like ghee in a fire lamp. i remember reading a quote like this in Sri Guru Granth. anyone familiar with it?

Pain is medicine which comes in the form of Naam.

"Dukh Daaroo Sukh Rog Bhya"

• 2 months later...

1. I started doing a variation of 'Vipasna'. I can see consciousness wrapped in emotions and senses of this body. Stay focused and keep stripping these layers of 'maya'. When you feel that it is pure (or better), say 'Waheguru' with attention towards Lord. It will be like shouting in a empty hall. Pure bliss. (It happened over a long period.)

2. Now problem with this approach. When my consciousness is pure (or free from senses and emotions), I tried listening to Gurbani or Keertan and felt nothing. Normally, I would have forgotten everything and closed eyes in love for beloved.

Bhakti path needs love to progress out of set of emotions we have. (As Satguru said in Japji, love is language of Lord.)

Result (for now): Buddhist style effort to get rid of our emotions can be good to concentrate. But Bhakti marg need love from this (otherwise useless) spectrum of emotions to reach Lord (or next stage).

Rest later.

Buddhist style effort to get rid of our emotions can be good to concentrate. But Bhakti marg need love from this (otherwise useless) spectrum of emotions to reach Lord (or next stage).

Rest later.

That's a very important point - Sikhi is about prema bhagti - "Jin Prem Kiyo, Thin Hee Prabh Paayo".