Jap(u)

rnjt

im looking for softly spoken version of Jap(u) Ji. also must be with the sihari and aunkars pronounced, with original jajjas and sassa's

i have damdami taksal version but the Granthi is kind of shouting the lines (no disrespect intended)

can you recommend any such recording?

Edited by rnjt

Sikhvibes.com->kirtan->nitnem santhia->bhagat jaswant Singh

or something like that

wow thats excellent. alot softer to listen to. thank you.

little unsteady pace but i can see its meant to teach people so thats probably why.

Edited by rnjt

im looking for softly spoken version of Jap(u) Ji. also must be with the sihari and aunkars pronounced, with original jajjas and sassa's (NO pairee-valee bindian sassa-shasha or jajja-zazzas)

i have damdami taksal version but the Granthi is kind of shouting the lines (no disrespect intended) quite harshly in a way that doesnt agree with my ears.

Who is the Granthhi?

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...

im looking for softly spoken version of Jap(u) Ji. also must be with the sihari and aunkars pronounced, with original jajjas and sassa's (NO pairee-valee bindian sassa-shasha or jajja-zazzas)

i have damdami taksal version but the Granthi is kind of shouting the lines (no disrespect intended) quite harshly in a way that doesnt agree with my ears.

http://www.sachkhojacademy.net/japu.html

Why were'nt they written with shasha and zazza to begin with?

That, only guru sahib knows. Even though there no bindi or tippi is found on a word, we still pronounce it.

In the following tuk from Sukhmani Sahib:

ਬਹੁ ਸਾਸਤ੍ਰ ਬਹੁ ਸਿਮ੍ਰਿਤੀ ਪੇਖੇ ਸਰਬ ਢਢੋਲਿ ॥

Sant Gurbachan Singh Ji suggest that ਢਢੋਲਿ should be pronounced as ਢੰਢੋਲਿ. Sometimes without nasalization, the word gets distorted or the meaning becomes unclear. Gurbani cannot be read straight up like Punjabi. The reader has to know where to pause, nasalize, and add other appropriate sounds. I personally believe that we should pronounce 'shasha's' and 'zazza's' where required.

I don't know much about Punjabi poetry from that time period, but I think there were no bindis found at the foot of 'shasha' and 'zazza'. Even though there were no bindis, I think words were still meant to be pronounced as 'shasha' and 'zazza'. If we look at some sankrit words in their original form, they were pronounced as 'shasha'. For example, in Punjabi we say 'sunn samadhi', but in sanskrit the word 'sunn' is derived from 'shunniya', meaning nothingness.