Vivek Pradipika

Matheen

Dalsingh, w hat exactly do you mean by duality? Let me know and I'll find you relevant stuff from the book.

I think it is called bharam and/or dhobiya in Panjabi. In Gurbani it is described as a main obstacle to God. I was wondering what its exact nature was? So we can maybe defeat it easier?

I asked earlier but no one bothered responding:

http://www.sikhawareness.com//index.php?showtopic=11985&st=0&p=106240&fromsearch=1&#entry106240

I think it is called bharam and/or dhobiya....

Ah, bharam and dubidha. I don't know why these get translated as 'duality' - all the English translations do this. In simple terms, bharam = doubt. If you doubt your Guru, even slightly, you won't progress on this path. Dubidha = doubt or to be in two minds about something.

I'll look for relevant bits from the book and post here, unless someone does it first.

Edited by Matheen

"I just thought Shaheediyan's response to my request was unwarranted. Implying I was some cheapskate. In anycase, what if it was some poor Sikh who was asking, who wanted to know and couldn't afford the book? Should we insult him and call him a cheapskate or should we try and help each other expand our gian?"

If you were/are some poor Sikh, then all you had/have to do is ask someone from the sangat here to send you a copy. PM me your address, I'll send you a copy of the book (And I am not being sarcastic).

I find the book builds on each question, so quoting from the middle somewhere doesn't do it justice, one needs to read it through to allow the newer questions to be understood in the context of previous answers. Thats my opinion.

You obviously don't like your 'image' being tarnished, so I apologise if I hurt your pride. But you are in no position to give lectures on insults my friend, the sort of words you have used for me are better said in person, if you wish to share them with me personally, you are more than welcome, PM me.

The book is a great read, however I think for a person who has not contemplated certain things it will be a jump in the middle/deep end. It discussed the various types of advait philosophies, how gurmat advait differs from the advait of adishankara. Some background knowledge in adishankaras philosophy would make appreciating the gurmat stance more easier.

Dalsingh, there is a portion of the text on the website where you can order it from. However as Shaheediyan mentioned, to jump in at Page X is harder to grasp because you have not gone through the build up to the current question.

Gurfateh

Bhram is more than 'doubt'. According to the samprdais it is false cognition and is of five categories. This is described in the book.

Could I also politely request that people do not scan any sections of the book on-line. There is an sample of the text on the website for people to download for free.

thanks

t

If you were/are some poor Sikh, then all you had/have to do is ask someone from the sangat here to send you a copy. PM me your address, I'll send you a copy of the book (And I am not being sarcastic).

Thankfully, I'm not in this position but that doesn't excuse your earlier "buy the book" response to what I believe was a fair question amongsts Sikhs. But I guess this is just another manifestation of your patent snobbery and haughtiness. I don't know why you bother to read the book under discussion as even the basic material on ego seems to have flown over your head. I guess you are the type who tries to develop knowledge solely to fuel youe ego. I've met that type before.

I find the book builds on each question, so quoting from the middle somewhere doesn't do it justice, one needs to read it through to allow the newer questions to be understood in the context of previous answers. Thats my opinion.

Fair enough, this shouldn't prevent discussion though. Given the state of the panth, we should be encouraging this. But if you're alright, it's all alright yes?

You obviously don't like your 'image' being tarnished, so I apologise if I hurt your pride. But you are in no position to give lectures on insults my friend, the sort of words you have used for me are better said in person, if you wish to share them with me personally, you are more than welcome, PM me.

I have no idea what you mean by my 'image'. Didn't know I had one. Regarding insults, I'm no shrinking violet and can take it as much as give it. That is a minor issue to what happened earlier to my mind. If you think this experience warrants the effort required for me to come and see you in person - you're wrong. Judging by your online persona, I doubt doing so could ever be anything but disappointing. Besides I do hope you're not trying to subtly posture for a punch up in that last statement? Because I know you've made every excuse to justify avoiding confronting outsiders who do target the vulnerable in the quom. I hope your not the type that suddenly grows tuttay when it comes to fighting your own but can never be found in conflict with outsiders. Are you having a "meet me behind the bike shed" moment? You'd better be smarter than that.

Edited by dalsingh101

I wasn't 'offering you out' actually. I'm simply old fashioned, I have been taught to say things to peoples faces, and foolishly expect others to do the same I suppose - especially when it comes to swearing at people. How asking you to 'buy a book' warrants your barrage of insults (to which I admittedly responded) I will never know. Its not so easy to swear to a 'real face', which is my simple point.

Thanks for the unconstructive critism, I've learnt nothing new. For your information, I am well aware, from on going personal experience, that any type of acquisition of knowledge will simply lead to ahankaar and a reinforced haumai, unless one makes application of that knowledge shud through bhagti. I have never claimed to be a Saint, if I was, I would not be wasting time engaging in this discussion with you.

I am tempted to say empty pande make the loudest noise (too late :o ) but I am quite happy to apply that quote to myself too, so relax...

I look forward to responding to you once you have bought and read tSinghs excellent book.

Dhanvaad Jeeo.

Lets draw a line on this then. None of us are going to come out clean if we continue.

When I finish with my current batch, I will get the book.

Gurfateh

Bhram is more than 'doubt'. According to the samprdais it is false cognition and is of five categories. This is described in the book.

Could I also politely request that people do not scan any sections of the book on-line. There is an sample of the text on the website for people to download for free.

thanks

t

Tsingh,

If there are any concise materials that you think would be a good background read(s) that would help one grasp VP better, let us know.

Thanks.

• 10 months later...
  • 5 years later...

I have tried to purchase the books: Bhavrasamrit Granth & Vivek Pradipika. However I have been unsuccessful as the books seem to be sold out on every website I visit. The book is no longer in print as I may be aware.

Is there any possible way for me to get these books? 

• 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...