Are My Beliefs Snatan?

drawrof

Hello folks,

My understanding of sikhi may be skewed but I would like to know whether I fit into the proposed 'snatan' mindset

if I believe in the following:

1)an India which is great but with a decentralized government giving each place its own regional power...hence I can proudly say 'mera desh punjab' instead of 'mera desh India'.

2)I don't believe in a unified India and see no purpose of it apart from it being a subcontinent....

3)I respect sikhi is from the indian subcontinent, uses indian iconography, and has its roots in the subcontinent

4)I would prefer to speak punjabi over hindi so (hindi, hindu, hindustan) would not apply to me.....mine would be more of a (sikh, punjabi, hindustan)

Please advise :)!

And here was me thinking that nationality/language/culture were meant to have no influence on our belief and understanding of sikhi.

You're right - Sikhi is universal and some of the most devout Sikhs are from non-Indian backgrounds.

Has anyone defined 'sanatan' yet?

That is my point my brothers,

I believe the term snatan or puratan or the aspect of sikhi which has not been interpreted through the colonial lens is devoid of nationalistic politics. One can have an affinity to a 'newer' sikhi and be a nationalist as well as be a lover of older sikhi and still want khalistan or an autonomous punjab.

yes, I understand certain things are grouped together, but one's paradigm/view of sikhi does not EQUATE directly to their politics.

Are My Beliefs Snatan?

Hindu is a Nationality as based on those persons descended from the geographical region of Hindustan.

Hindu is a religion conforming to those beliefs and practices originating from the spiritual teachings originating from ancient Hindustan. So two different things are being discussed and mixed together like apples and oranges.

Hindu Dharma, meaning that spiritual ideology of Dharama originating from the Indian subcontinent. Is reflected in ancient religious teachings and observances based on the Vedas which have nothing to do with faults of modern political state of India or ethnicities or even religion. But relates to universal Truth and moral duty to that Truth/Sat.

(hindi, hindu, hindustan)

Is a political slogan during the time of revolution for independance of Nation of India from British rule and was meant to convey unity. At the time many Sikhs felt no animosity towards it and were actually great heroes of the Independance movement. Those Sikhs who did feel animosity towards it, such as Singh Sabha movement were sometimes working with the British against the Independance movement and promised for their loyalty a restoration of Khalsa Raj. But the slogan (Hindi, Hindu, Hindustan) reflects the limitation of a political mindset at a particular time in history and has no bearing on the concept of Sanatana Dharama. For one thing there are many great languages of equal import: Punjabi, Telugu, Marathi, Gujarati, Bengali, Malayalam, etc. It was a political intent to unify, but it was as offensive as it was helpful.

So two different things are alternately discussed and often confused as one thing, Hindu Nationalism born out of the Independance movement and Hindu Dharm (That Dharm originating in the teachings from ancient region of Hindustan or best stated as Sanatan Dharm (Universal Spiritual Discipline/Duty for upliftment of Mankind).

Obviously evil actions which degrade the humanity are in violation of the very purpose and meaning of the term. Universal Spirituality has no barrier of religion or race because the atma of every living being has a responsibility to this Dharm and to the Creator, depending on it's created purpose. Mankind was created to love, praise and serve the God.

What is Sanatan Dharm?

The religion which eternally exists in God, which is revealed by God, which describes the names, forms, virtues and the abodes of God, and which reveals the true path of God realization for all the souls is called Sanatan Dharm, the universal religion for the whole world.

The word dharm is formed from the root word dhryan (dhryan dharne); it means such actions and such spiritual or religious practices that finally result in all-good for a soul. A general description of dharm is:

It means that such actions, thoughts and practices that promote physical and mental happiness in the world (abhyudaya) and ensure God realization (nishreyas) in the end, are called dharm.

There are two kinds of dharmas: (a) Apar dharm, or varnashram dharm, or seemit dharm, or general dharm, and (b ) par dharm or bhagwat dharm.

(a) Apar dharm, or varnashram dharm, or seemit dharm, or general dharm. The word dharm means the religious practices and thoughts that are aimed to fulfill a pious goal in life. Accordingly the apar or varnashram dharm is the religious discipline and injunctions of do’s and dont's that are explained in the scriptures for uplifting the sattvic qualities of a human being in general. Varnashram word refers to all kinds and classes of people of this world living various orders of life (like a family man, a priest, a monk or a sanyasi), and apar word means ‘secondary’ or ‘general’ or ‘preliminary’ because it is not the absolute or prime dharm, it is the preliminary dharm for everyone in the world.

The discipline and rules of apar dharm vary according to the state of the spiritual consciousness of a person, and its rigidness also varies from age to age, that is, from satyug to kaliyug.

As can be clearly seen from the definition, Sanatana Dharma cannot be associated with political movements or even a modern Nation State. It is eternal and universal spiritual responsibility to uphold the good, the true, the pure and the right duties. So no politician and conversely, no criminal can ever represent that.

The Hindutva movement as we clearly see, loses the respect of that Dharama and becomes a mere political and Nationalistic voice which can never represent a true spiritual movement. It lacks the power of conviction and it is ethnocentric, which true spirituality is not. However, in discussing things like the Khalistani movement, then the discussion veers into the area of ethnic Indian Nationalism, which doesn't reflect Sanatana Dharama.

Wrongdoers do not represent the Dharma but violate it. And in this I am speaking to anyone at any time who was party to any riots or bombings or killings or abuses which harmed any innocent human being. Those persons will have to answer to the Jamdhoot regardless of whether they were Hindu or Muslim or Sikh or any religion. The atma always answers to the God. Evil and politics do not represent spiritual truth. They must answer for their corruptions of it.

Edited by HarjasKaur