~ Nirgun And Sargun Upasana Of Same Shabad..!~

I was just contemplating on shabad-

Sri Guru Arjan Dev Ji writes:

Āaḏ gur▫e namah

Jugāḏ gur▫e namah

Saṯgur▫e namah

Srī gurḏev▫e nameh ||

Based on various tekas, arth of this shabad above are more sakar/sargun. From the context of uthanka arth(as it was believed sri guru arjan dev ji dedicated this shabad to his previous guru maharaj), anyway here are arth given as follows:

Aad Gur E Nameh - Guru Nanak Dev Ji Ko Namaskar

Jugad Gur E Nameh- Guru Angad Dev Ji Ko Namaskar

Satgur E Nameh - Sri Guru Amar Das Ji Ko Namaskar.

Sri Gurdev E Nameh - finally my present gurdev- Sri Guru Ram Das Ji Ko Namaskar. Note - Sri indicates one being around maya and controlling the maya.

That is clearly sargun upasana, it shows there is no black and white rule in Sikhism, when it comes to meditation. Sargun is equally parvan in our dharam, as surti goes more subtle and subtle towards nirgun, one realizes more deep adhyatamic/spiritual meaning of the same shabad, more towards nirgun upasana.

Āaḏ gur▫e namah

Jugāḏ gur▫e namah

Saṯgur▫e namah

Srī gurḏev▫e nameh ||

I bow to the guiding consciousness that takes us to realisation.

I bow to wisdom througout the ages.

I bow to True wisdom.

I bow to the great unseen Wisdom.

enjoy..!!

heres one for you from Sri Sarbloh Granth

ਬਿਸਨੁਪਦ ਪੁੰਨੀਆ ਗੀਤ ਸਾਨੀ ਤਰਹ ਦੂਜੀ ॥

ਸਰਗੁਨ ਨਿਰਗੁਨ ਦ੍ਵੈ ਰੂਪ ਹਰੀ ਕੇ, ਉਪਾਸਨ ਭਗਤਨ ਕੋ ਅਤਿ ਨੀਕੋ ॥

The Sargun and Nirgun are two forms of Hari, for devotes these two types of worship are acceptable

ਭਗਤਿ ਗਯਾਨੀ ਗਯਾਨੀ ਭਗਤਾ, ਉਪਾਸਕ ਉਭਯ ਭਗਤਿ ਹਰਿ ਜੀ ਕੋ ॥

Bhagat = Sargun da upashak, Gyani = Nirgun da upashak, both of these two types of devotes are Pareshvar's shardaloo's (faithful)

(page 423, vol 2 of the sarbloh granth tika)

I was just contemplating on shabad-

Aad Gur E Nameh - Guru Nanak Dev Ji Ko Namaskar

Jugad Gur E Nameh- Guru Angad Dev Ji Ko Namaskar

Satgur E Nameh - Sri Guru Amar Das Ji Ko Namaskar.

Sri Gurdev E Nameh - finally my present gurdev- Sri Guru Ram Das Ji Ko Namaskar. Note - Sri indicates one being around maya and controlling the maya.

Gurdev is One. Guru Arjan Dev ji Maharaj is not doing Namaskar to them individually. Read Salok just before Sukhmani.

ਗੁਰਦੇਵ ਆਦਿ ਜੁਗਾਦਿ ਜੁਗੁ ਜੁਗੁ ਗੁਰਦੇਵ ਮੰਤੁ ਹਰਿ ਜਪਿ ਉਧਰਾ ॥

Also

ਗੁਰਦੇਵ ਸਤਿਗੁਰੁ ਪਾਰਬ੍ਰਹਮੁ ਪਰਮੇਸਰੁ ਗੁਰਦੇਵ ਨਾਨਕ ਹਰਿ ਨਮਸਕਰਾ ॥੧॥

I think you will find both sargun and nirgun upashna is being done.

Sor the Sargun you must understand the four different terms used for the Guru's

Aad - primal Guru, Sri GUru Nanak Dev Ji

Jugaad - Jug means 2, Jugaad is for the second following the primal - Sri Guru Angad Dev ji

Satgureh - Satguru is a term used alot now as a term of spiritual status for the Guru. The common interpretation is that is means 'True master' or 'True Guru'. However at the time of the Gurus and still now your ustad is refered to as Gurdev and your Gurdevs ustaad is refered to as Satguru. So Guru Arjan Dev Ji are paying their respects to their gurdevs (Sri Guru Ram DAs Ji) Gurdev (Sri Guru Amar Das Ji). The Term Satguru here is specifically for Sri Guru Amar Das Ji.

Sri Gurdev - As i stated above the spiritual master at the time was referred to as Gurdev. Here Guru Arjan DEv Ji pay their respects to their Gurdev, Sri Guru Ram Das Ji. Here you also find the term 'Sri'. This is due to Maya coming into the shelter of the Guru. Ithaas states that Guru Nanak Dev Ji kept Maya at a distance of 11km from them, Guru Angad Dev Ji kept Maya at 7 km away and Guru Amar Das Ji at 4 Km. A the time of Guru Ram Das Ji being seated on the takhat of the panth Maya came to the Guru with a request for shelter which was granted

In this way the 4 terms are in accordance with sargun upashna