Bhai Vir Singh'S Editing Of Panth Prakash

dalsingh101

If it didn't happen then why didn't Bhai Vir Singh etc protest against Gyani Gyan Singh putting allegations on them?

If something put allegations on me which aren't true I would surely issue some statement or whatever, but there is no proof that Bhai Vir Singh did it.

Show us proof. Bhai Vir Singh Jee is a respected man, no defence is needed for him. You and I are mere insects compared to him. I am well aware of Niddarite propaganda and their baseless finger pointing towards great GurSikhs of the past.

Edited by Mithar

• 3 weeks later...

back to the topic, i am hopefully going to be able to get my hands on an unedditted version of Pracheen Panth Prakash.

This is the version by Balwant Singh Dhillon. He has compared the old hand written manuscripts and has complied, what he hopes, to be an original of Panth Prakash without the eddittings of Bhai Vir Singh.

Once I go through it and examine it i will post my thoughts

back to the topic, i am hopefully going to be able to get my hands on an unedditted version of Pracheen Panth Prakash.

This is the version by Balwant Singh Dhillon. He has compared the old hand written manuscripts and has complied, what he hopes, to be an original of Panth Prakash without the eddittings of Bhai Vir Singh.

I look forward to that brother, although I imagine at least a significant portion of any editting would have been covered by the article attached to this thread.

I think you should use the word 'reconstructed' to refer to the work by Balwant Singh, rather than 'unedited' anyway. It will be more accurate.

You do know that there is a manuscript of Panth Prakash available at Panjab Digital Library as well don't you? I posted a link to it earlier in the thread. It isn't dated but seems to be quite old?

Edited by dalsingh101

Firstly there can never be any justification in deleting/changing historical texts,any different viewpoint should only be put in footnotes and backed up with evidence if available.It is not in the Panthic benefit to have texts changed by modern sikhs/singh sabha or british,to view from a biased viewpoint.If the sanatan/camp where to use these tactics modernist/singh sabha would be in uproar crying foulplay.there is no reason or honesty in blatant deletion and additions according to personal viewpoint.

This topic is re-opened now.

Please follow the rules and stick to the topic. Any off-topics will be deleted without notice regardless how long post might be or how long time spent on it. So think twice and make a back up of your post in your computer before going writing off-topic post.

• 3 years later...

gurfateh g

first of all cursed are the hands and the mind who have thought and written such apavitar thoughts about Sant Kavi Bhai VIr Singh. u r lucvky he was such an amazing gurmukh who is above nindak

that being said gurbani must be the test for what is gurmat

panth parkash is not gurbani

yes it is valuable for some information but at every historian knows each text must be looked at for credibility in light of other texts and history

now bhai biddhi chand was a great gurmukh

would u ever believe he stole women's earing for fun?????????????????? kavi santokh singh ji was amazing beyond amazing and i love sooraj parkash granth but there are things written against the philosiphy of guru granth sahib and of dasam granth bani and vaara bhai gurdas ji in my eyes these three are our first sources,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, the seva of editing done by bhai vir singh ji was crucial and only time will show the extent of how bhai sahib ji saved sikh sidhant at a time when all of india was converting to christianity

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa

Waheguru Ji Kee Fateh

Here is an article on Bhai Vir Singh's editing of Bhangu's Panth Prakash. If any of the sangat is up for translating this, let me know. Maybe we can form an online team to do this?

how is this translation going bhaji? And is Kulwant Singhs work helping at all?

Can you get someone to look at the scribble at the top, which actually looks like urdu/persian to me? it might give you some clues.

ok Jvala singh, 3 years on, how is it going?

Edited by chatanga1

gurfateh g

first of all cursed are the hands and the mind who have thought and written such apavitar thoughts about Sant Kavi Bhai VIr Singh. u r lucvky he was such an amazing gurmukh who is above nindak

that being said gurbani must be the test for what is gurmat

panth parkash is not gurbani

yes it is valuable for some information but at every historian knows each text must be looked at for credibility in light of other texts and history

now bhai biddhi chand was a great gurmukh

would u ever believe he stole women's earing for fun?????????????????? kavi santokh singh ji was amazing beyond amazing and i love sooraj parkash granth but there are things written against the philosiphy of guru granth sahib and of dasam granth bani and vaara bhai gurdas ji in my eyes these three are our first sources,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, the seva of editing done by bhai vir singh ji was crucial and only time will show the extent of how bhai sahib ji saved sikh sidhant at a time when all of india was converting to christianity

Hiya bhenji!

I don't think the original article slandered BVS. I think it is very relevant and proper to (respectfully) critically evaluate our past, especially our literature. Truth is that BVS was operating under the shadow of colonialism and the introduction to non-native ideas, values into the Sikh world as a consequence of being subjugated by the British. We have to make efforts to understand this and its implications to our society.

I value BVS work but I don't believe it is the final word. Only Gurbani is.

how is this translation going bhaji? And is Kulwant Singhs work helping at all?

Chatanga veer. So busy right now. This is another translation project that was never fully completed (like our lassi and cha one!). Truth is that when I started this one I had only just started dipping into the Panjabi/Gurmukhi language (has it been 3+ years already!!!!) and didn't know much (not that I know that much more now).

I've borrowed Dhillon's version but haven't read much of it yet. When I did look through I couldn't find mention of the havan mentioned in the OP. I couldn't find it in Kulwant Singh's version either (but his is closer to BVS's version anyway).

Been awhile since I looked at them. Can't remember much.

I noticed Bhangu (amusingly) uses the Panjabi insult gandoo (ar5eh**e) a few times in the work for people! lol

Dalsingh, the term is Sundeh, which means an ox, a portion which is missed out of Bhai Vir Singhs Panth Parkash and the Panth Parkash of Baba Santa Singh is the Havan which the khalsa did prior to the battle with Ahmed Shah Abdali. Baba Santa Singh accepted that this did happen, however for some reason it isnt included within their steek.

The same is said on Gyani Gian Singh's Panth Prakash. Yet some eminent personalities, like Baba Jagjeet Singh Harkhowal Wale, hold it to be a havan of the mind.

Just passing through and happened to notice this topic which got me thinking...

I've been looking to check a quote from Sikhan Da Bhagatmaal by Bhai Mani Singh Shahid. The one I recently found didn't match.

Where my original reference states '...aradhana kita si, jo veda da tatparya ati guhya hai asi pai nahi sakade. jo tusi kirpa kar ke...'

the text I was looking at reads 'aradhana kita si, jo tusi kirpa kar ke...'

Confusing.

Then I looked at the publisher of the second source 'Khalsa Samachar Amritsar (1950)'. Its another 'critical' edition by the great man himself! So I checked a more recent edition by Dr. Harnam Singh Shan, and low and behold the original is there '...aradhana kita si, jo veda da tatparya ati guhya hai asi pai nahi sakade. jo tusi kirpa kar ke...'

Clearly Bhai Sahib Ji didn't want us exposed to such claims by Bhai Mani Singh Ji Shahid! I won't be looking at that 1950 edition again.

Interesting topic. Keep up the good work. See you in a couple of years!

Edited by tSingh

• 3 weeks later...

The sakhi is about the issue of Sri Guru Nanak Dev and Raja Janak. Sri Guru Arjan Dev states that Shiva, Brahma, the four maharishis, Sanak, Sanandan, Sanatan and Sanat Kumar, Raja Janak and others were praising Sri Guru Nanak Dev in satyug and put to him that the secret essential purport of the Vedas eluded them. They requested him to take avatar in kalyug to put the essential purport (tatparya) of the Vedas into colloquial language. Later it describes Gurbani as a delineation (tat nirnay) of the supreme truth contained in the Vedas. Perhaps not so surprisingly, both statements are missing from Bhai Vir Singh Ji's edit.

Its an interesting sakhi not just for its view about the relationship between the Vedas and Gurbani but also concerning the identity of Guru Maharaj.

(less than two years for a reply is pretty good going I reckon)

it is bhaji, thanks. i knew you were busy, but im glad you've taken time to post that.

Is Bhai Mani Singh's version still available to buy? And is anyone working on an english version?

Tsingh Ji, could Bhai Mani Singh's version have been altered at all?

It would be great if we could get a group together to look at some of the smaller texts to begin with and look at an english translation which would help so many people.

• 1 year later...
  • 8 years later...
51 minutes ago, GurjantGnostic said:

Did it disagree or did it say they would be sacrificed for Chandi and they ultimately were? Sacrificed fighting evil, which is her purpose?

I think a lot of these things stem from metaphoric or coded representations, which some people later might have took more literally than intended?  

I think there is a lot of that going on in Dasam Granth too. I think literalism can easily skew understanding. 

That's my personal opinion.