Huldee (Tumeric) In Hot Milk - Anyone Take This?

dalsingh101

Title says it all. Do you take or know anyone that takes huldee in hot milk? How much huldee should you put in and what ailments is this supposed to be good for?

Fateh

Haldi works against inflammation of joints [knee pain more commonly] and for internal bruising, muscle pain etc. Put 1-2 teaspoons of haldi into a cup and pour warm mik over it and stir. Add sugar if you wish but you can drink it without as long as the haldi is properly mixed in.

Haldi also has an anticeptic property and is used for cuts, packing in dry haldi to a wound congeals the blood and stops the bleeding and also prevents infection. Singhs would also mix haldi and oil to make a paste ball, similar to how you have on wedding maiya and use that to apply on cuts and wounds. This is easier to carry on the battlefield and is ready to apply if/when needed.

Here is a website dedicated to Haldi and its uses

http://www.turmeric.co.in/turmeric_ayurvedic_use.htm

Edited by Maha Singh

There are two types of Haldi:

1. The standard stuff you get from your local desi shop and you use in your dhaal/saabji, it doesn't do much more than add colour to your food and a bit of taste; and

2. "Kachi Haldi" - this is the medicinal quality grade that should be used as stated in the above posts. To look at, this is slightly darker colour and the aroma is a lot more stronger/pungent.

They both come from the same plant source but are processed differently. I think, The standard version is boiled down then sun-dried then powdered and the Kachi version is just straight sun-dried and powerded.

If you want Kachi-haldi, you are better off asking some-one from India to get it for you. As far I know it is not available commercially in the UK.

I know that the 3HO guys eat a lot of this stuff and swear by it as part of their yogic diet. Also, recently I read i some tabloid that western/US scientists have just "discovered" the anti-cancer properties of tumeric and are researching this further.

Is it worth me using it (in milk) if I can only get the standard yellow powdered stuff your mum probably uses in the old turkah? You know the TRS type branded stuff? I tried it for the first time yesterday and it was wasn't as bad as I had imagined.

Also, will it make your teeth seriously yellow? I know that the yellow stain is murder to get off when you spill a bit of curry on your clothes. If it is a bright white shirt, you can usually kiss it good bye.

All the above, plus it's awesome for sore throats / flu etc. Also good for healthy skin and has anti-cancer properties too.

Don't have too much, just a couple of tea-spoons in milk, add sugar to make it more bearable. Excess haldi isn't good for 'male health' but it's not an issue unless you down jars of the stuff.

Edited by Matheen

I have been consuming haldi since childhood, guys first make sure that the haldi is ghar di pissi , which is ground at home or atleast at a known resource

If you guys are abroad, do not buy the haldi from the indian stores since the commerical haldi is more contaminated.It is obviously imported from India and adulteration is always on the rise.

We at home get it ground at an aunt's place where they have their own 'silbatta' for grinding

Our expereince has been good me and my mom are obese, my mom is in her late 60s, she has no diabetes or any blockages. ECG is normal. many doctors are surprised, since she has no diet restrictions.

http://www.gurudwara.net/punjabirecipes/recipedetail.aspx?id=434

Name: Adulteration in Haldi ( Turmeric) Popular

Category: Ingredients Info

Author: HS

Date: 6/18/2009 2:51:00 AM

Hits: 2573

Rating: ( 1.0 ) by 1 users

Ingredients:

Haldi or Turmeric used to be prepared from the rhizomes, nowadays the powdered form is more prevalent which is highly adulterated.

If you value your helath then please read on.

Haldi has lots of medicinal properties but due to the heavy adulteration it could actually be a health hazard itself.

Instructions:

Haldi or turmeric is used consistenly in all types of Indian cooking. The curries get their colour from haldi.

Haldi is manufactured from the root (or rhizome) of the turmeric plant.

Haldi possesses many medicinal properties, however due to the adulteration and use of dangerous chemicals mean that it could be a health hazard itself..

1. Dangerous chemicals and pesticides are used in growing the plants such as Copper Oxychloride; Dithane M-45; Bavistin: all of these chemicals are said to cause sperm damage in males.

2. In the powdered form of Haldi therei is a heavy adulteration with various items such as Starch Powder, Saw dust, they use col tar dies ( metanil yellow) to colour the starch powder or the saw dust to match the colour of Haldi. Lead Chromate which is highly poisonous is also used liberally to adulterate it.

The lead can cause or worsen anaemia, abdominal pain, neurological problems, kidney damage, hypertension and foetal distress—all symptoms of lead poisoning.

So be careful when you use Haldi, try to use the whole Rizomes if possible.

So how much are we talking about?

A teaspoon in a cup of milk every morning?

How often should one have it?

I'm going to get some of the East End stuff when my current TRS batch runs out.

I just checked their website. I didn't know it was owned by Singhs.

I always thought it was a company that started out the East End of London but it's up north! lol

Flippin hell!

Just saw the post before my last one!

I guess I'd better go a bit easy on the stuff....lol

Seems like everything is dangerous or killing you in one way or another these days....

if you take unadulterated stuff its all fine, but you are taking without checking then you are e at risk

Where the heck would I find the hydrochloric acid to test it???

Don't worry - commercially sold packaged food in the UK is routinely tested, especially if it comes from abroad.

If you are worried, you can now get whole haldi in most Indian shops.

Lol, try your stomach!

Gastric acid is a secretion produced in the stomach. It is one of the main ditotonic solutions secreted, together with several enzymes and intrinsic factors. Chemically it is an acid solution with a pH of 1 to 2 in the stomach lumen, consisting mainly of hydrochloric acid (HCl) (around 0.5%, or 5000 parts per million), and large quantities of potassium chloride (KCl) and sodium chloride (NaCl).

On a serious note, do you know any chemistry students? Perhaps they could obtain some for you.

Edited by ishvar2

You know I'm actually starting to enjoy the stuff............who would have thought?

haldhi is a miracle substance. A lady our family knew used haldhi boiled in milk to cure her intestinal lining, which doctors told her was dying. Doctors were astonished to see the lining regrowing!

My mom uses some techniques to turn raw haldhi into useable powder without chemicals. I think she boils it for awhile and crushes it, but when it's done this way the raw haldhi is actually palatable. You don't need sugar to hide the taste. I'll ask her for specifics.

Funnily enough, I was just enjoying a cup! Do you guys get the sludge at the bottom of the cup or is it just me?

I should add. What I am doing is throwing in 1 to 2 teaspoons of the stuff in a pateela with a cup of milk and heating these up until nearly boiling. I also throw in some khund or honey.

Edited by dalsingh101

• 2 months later...

My mom uses some techniques to turn raw haldhi into useable powder without chemicals. I think she boils it for awhile and crushes it, but when it's done this way the raw haldhi is actually palatable. You don't need sugar to hide the taste. I'll ask her for specifics.

I think I've located a source for the raw stuff.

Can you post the techniques for turning raw stuff into useable powder mate?