Huldee (Tumeric) In Hot Milk - Anyone Take This?

dalsingh101

Bit off track, but here is an Ayurvedic remedy I use for colds/coughs (and resha elemination). This is a super remedy and cures you in a matter of days.

Its fine to take this once or twice a week for general health also:

Instructions per cup:

1 Tablespoon of ghee/butter melted in a pan (literally for a few seconds) use low to medium heat, don't let milk boil throughout process;

2 Before the ghee/butter completely melts, add in one cup of milk;

3 Stir slowly with a wooden spoon - you need to keep stirring slowly throughout, so ingredients are fused/mixed smoothly;

4 Add one teasppon of haldi (real stuff as per previous posts) and stir in until it completely blends in;

5 Add 1/2 teaspoon of salt, thats right - sugar should be avoided when one has cold/cough/resha, salt helps absord the resha etc, keep stirring;

6 Add 6/7 letchian;

7 Bring to boil slowly, but stop as soon as milk boils. Mix again and strain/serve.

This should be taken in the morning and before you go to sleep (twice a day).

It suprisingly tastes very nice, the salt and letchian take away the haldi taste. If you find it does not suit your taste buds, add a tablespoon of 'real' honey i.e. Manuka, which has UMF ratings, honey above a 10+ rating is good.

Enjoy.

Edited by shaheediyan

After washing the kacha haldee, leave in sunlight to dry for about an hour. Then grind in a blender. It needs to be stored in a fridge and can go bad after some time.

in India, merchants will grind down dry haldhee right in front of you. This is pure haldhee, and will last for a much longer time. There is no need to store this in the fridge either.

• 6 months later...

Looks like the magic substance in huldee is called curcumin. Got this from Wiki (I know, I know....it's not exactly professional research etc.) Also that tip given earlier to have it with pinch of black pepper seems to have sound scientific value in that circumin is very difficult for the body to absorb through oral ingestion but a compound in black pepper can help the process significantly.

Potential medical uses

Turmeric has been used historically as a component of Indian Ayurvedic medicine since 1900 BC to treat a wide variety of ailments.[7] Research in the latter half of the 20th century has identified curcumin as responsible for most of the biological activity of turmeric.[7] In vitro and animal studies have suggested a wide range of potential therapeutic or preventive effects associated with curcumin. At present, these effects have not been confirmed in humans. However, as of 2008, numerous clinical trials in humans were underway, studying the effect of curcumin on various diseases including multiple myeloma, pancreatic cancer, myelodysplastic syndromes, colon cancer, psoriasis, and Alzheimer's disease.[8]

In vitro and animal studies have suggested that curcumin may have antitumor,[9][10] antioxidant, antiarthritic, anti-amyloid, anti-ischemic[11], and anti-inflammatory properties.[12] Anti-inflammatory properties may be due to inhibition of eicosanoid biosynthesis.[13] In addition it may be effective in treating malaria, prevention of cervical cancer, and may interfere with the replication of the HIV virus.[14] In HIV, it appears to act by interfering with P300/CREB-binding protein (CBP). It is also hepatoprotective.[15] A 2008 study at Michigan State University showed that low concentrations of curcumin interfere with Herpes simplex virus-1 (HSV-1) replication.[16] The same study showed that curcumin inhibited the recruitment of RNA polymerase II to viral DNA, thus inhibiting the transcription of the viral DNA.[16] This effect was shown to be independent of effect on histone acetyltransferase activities of p300/CBP.[16] A previous (1999) study performed at University of Cincinnati indicated that curcumin is significantly associated with protection from infection by HSV-2 in animal models of intravaginal infections.[17]

Curcumin acts as a free radical scavenger and antioxidant, inhibiting lipid peroxidation[18] and oxidative DNA damage. Curcuminoids induce glutathione S-transferase and are potent inhibitors of cytochrome P450.

A 2004 UCLA-Veterans Affairs study involving genetically altered mice suggests that curcumin might inhibit the accumulation of destructive beta-amyloid in the brains of Alzheimer's disease patients and also break up existing plaques associated with the disease.[19]

There is also circumstantial evidence that curcumin improves mental functions; a survey of 1010 Asian people who ate yellow curry and were between the ages of 60 and 93 showed that those who ate the sauce "once every six months" or more had higher MMSE results than those who did not.[20] From a scientific standpoint, though, this does not show whether the curry caused it, or people who had healthy habits also tended to eat the curry, or some completely different relationship.

Numerous studies have demonstrated that curcumin, amongst only a few other things such as high impact exercise, learning, bright light, and antidepressant usage, has a positive effect on neurogenesis in the hippocampus and concentrations of brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF), reductions in both of which are associated with stress, depression, and anxiety.[21][22][23]

Curcumin has also been demonstrated to be a selective monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI) of type MAO-A.

In 2009 an Iranian group demonstrated the combination effect of curcumin with 24 antibiotics against Staphylococcus aureus.It is showed that in the presence of sub-inhibitory concentration of curcumin the antibacterial activities of cefixime, cefotaxime, vancomycin and tetracycline have been increased against test strain. Increase in inhibition zone surface area for these antibiotics were 52.6% (cefixime), 24.9% (cephotaxime), 26.5% (vancomycin ), 24.4% (tetracycline). Also it is showed that curcumin has the antagonist effect on the antibacterial effect of Nalidixic acid against test strain.[24]

Although many pre-clinical studies suggest that curcumin may be useful for the prevention and treatment of several diseases, the effectiveness of curcumin has not yet been demonstrated in randomized, placebo-controlled, double-blind clinical trials.[25]

[edit]

Anticarcinogenic effects

Its potential anticancer effects stem from its ability to induce apoptosis in cancer cells without cytotoxic effects on healthy cells. Curcumin can interfere with the activity of the transcription factor NF-κB, which has been linked to a number of inflammatory diseases such as cancer.[26]

A 2009 study suggests that curcumin may inhibit mTOR complex I via a novel mechanism.[27]

Another 2009 study on curcumin effects on cancer states that curcumin "modulates growth of tumor cells through regulation of multiple cell signaling pathways including cell proliferation pathway (cyclin D1, c-myc), cell survival pathway (Bcl-2, Bcl-xL, cFLIP, XIAP, c-IAP1), caspase activation pathway (caspase-8, 3, 9), tumor suppressor pathway (p53, p21) death receptor pathway (DR4, DR5), mitochondrial pathways, and protein kinase pathway (JNK, Akt, and AMPK)".[28]

When 0.2% curcumin is added to diet given to rats or mice previously given a carcinogen, it significantly reduces colon carcinogenesis (Data from sixteen scientific articles reported in the Chemoprevention Database).

Curcumin has recently been shown to have phyto-estrogenic activity that might contribute to anti-breast cancer activity [29]. In the murine model of breast cancer metastasis, Curcumin inhibits the formation of lung metastases [30] probably through the NF-kappa-B dependent regulation of pro-tumorigenic inflammatory cytokines [31].

[edit]

Bioavailability

Little curcumin, when eaten, is absorbed:[32] from 2 to 10 grams of curcumin eaten alone resulted in indetectable to very low serum levels.[33] Curcumin is unstable in the gut[citation needed], and the traces that pass through the GI tract rapidly degrade or are conjugated through glucuronidation.

There have been several commercial products developed to provide an alternate route to curcumin. For example, curcumin supplements with piperine are readily available. But curcumin in a non-solubilized pill form can limit bioavailability. Other products, such as Nutmeric, provide curcumin in an oil-solubilized form similar to Indian curry preparations.

Co-supplementation with 20 mg of piperine (extracted from black pepper) significantly increased the absorption of curcumin by 2000% in a study funded by a prominent manufacturer of piperine.[33] However, the increase in absorption only occurred during the first hour, after which the difference between the piperine curcumin and the regular curcumin was almost the same as far as absorption. Due to its effects on drug metabolism, piperine should be taken cautiously (if at all) by individuals taking other medications.

Some benefits of curcumin, such as the potential protection from colon cancer, may not require systemic absorption. Alternatively, dissolving curcumin in hot water or in warm oils prior to ingestion may possibly increase bioavailability; however, no published studies to date have documented this. Cooking with curcumin and oil may increase absorption, but peer-reviewed scientific literature has not documented this, while the literature has documented concerns regarding the heat stability of curcumin and its degradation in the gut.[citation needed]

In 2007, a polymeric nanoparticle-encapsulated formulation of curcumin ("nanocurcumin"[34]) has been synthesized which has the potential to bypass many of the shortcomings associated with free curcumin, such as poor solubility and poor systemic bioavailability. Nanocurcumin particles have a size of less than 100 nanometers on average, and demonstrate comparable to superior efficacy compared to free curcumin in human cancer cell line models.[34] However, actual in vivo absorption has not been demonstrated with this nanoparticle.

In July 2008, researchers from the aforementioned team in UCLA's Department of Neurology announced results on a form of "lipidated curcumin" that was noted to achieve more than 5 micromolar in the brain in vivo, 50 times that found in clinical studies.[35] Another method to increase the bioavailability of curcumin was filed in a patent in 2006[36] and involves a simple procedure creating a complex with soy phospholipids; the plasma concentration of free curcumin and curcumin glucuronide using this method increased by 5-fold and by 20-fold, free curcumin reaching 33.4 nanomolar in comparison to 6.5 and curcumin glucuronide reaching 4,420 in comparison to 225 nanomolar obtained with an equal molar quantity of unformulated curcumin administered as control.[37]

In the year of 2010, a food-grade polymer micellar encapsulation system was shown to increase curcumin's water solubility and in vitro anti-cancer activity. It was found that hydrophobically modified starch, usually used to encapsulate flavors, was able to form polymer micelles. Using a simple high-speed homogenization method, it can load curcumin into its hydrophobic core, and thus solubilize curcumin. Cell culture experiments revealed an enhanced anti-cancer activity on HepG2 cell line. However, more in vivo studies are needed to further prove its efficacy in the aspect of bioavailability.[38]http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2009.07.018

[edit]

Potential risks and side-effects

Kawanishi et al. (2005) remarked that curcumin, like many antioxidants, can be a "double-edged sword" where in the test tube, anti-cancer and antioxidant effects may be seen in addition to pro-oxidant effects.[39] Carcinogenic effects are inferred from interference with the p53 tumor suppressor pathway, an important factor in human colon cancer.[40] Carcinogenic and LD50 tests in mice and rats, however, have failed to establish a relationship between tumorogenesis and administration of curcumin in turmeric oleoresin at >98% concentrations.[41] Other in vitro and in vivo studies suggest that curcumin may cause carcinogenic effects under specific conditions.[42][43]

In animal studies, hair loss (alopecia) and lowering of blood pressure have been reported.[44]

Clinical studies in humans with high doses (2–12 grams) of curcumin have shown few side effects, with some subjects reporting mild nausea or diarrhea.[45] More recently, curcumin was found to alter iron metabolism by chelating iron and suppressing the protein hepcidin, potentially causing iron deficiency in susceptible patients.[46] Further studies seem to be necessary to establish the benefit/risk profile of curcumin.[47]

There is no or little evidence to suggest that curcumin is either safe or unsafe for pregnant women. However, there is still some concern that medicinal use of products containing curcumin could stimulate the uterus, which may lead to a miscarriage, although there is not much evidence to support this claim. According to experiments done on rats and guinea-pigs, there is no obvious effect (neither positive, nor negative) on the pregnancy rate, number of live or dead embryos.[48]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curcumin

Edited by dalsingh101

• 1 year later...

Our expereince has been good me and my mom are obese, my mom is in her late 60s, she has no diabetes or any blockages. ECG is normal. many doctors are surprised, since she has no diet restrictions.

You type that right bro?

I was told to take haldi in warm milk for my arthritic knees, i took it for a few days and then stopped. Im gonna start again though now.

Can we trust the pakcets of haldi that we buy from asian shops now, or is it best to wait till you go india and then get some?

Chatanga

refer to my posts at the begining of this thread. The stuff that you buy from your local indian store is nothing more than food coloring and flavouring. It is good for your normal dahl-sabji. If you want it for medicinal purposes then order it from your uncleji from India. Ask for freshly ground kachi haldi.

BTW, Your a bit young for arthritis aren't you? Is it normal wear and tear or sports related? I may prescribe something else for that.

For osteoarthritic symptoms I would recommend you try SUPAFLEX by NutriLabs. http://www.nutrilabs.biz/supaflex2.html

It contains Glucosamine, Chondroitin and MSM.

You can get it from other makers/brands, but I found this to be the most effective. They used to sell them at GNC however I believe they've stopped stocking the brand. If you cant get this stuff, just buy the quality individual supplements of these three ingredients. and take them. Follow the dosage guidelines in terms of building up and tapering to maintenance dose.

If you eat animal products try KRILL OIL. Its similar to fish oil but only better bio-availability/quality of Omega 3. \probably difficult to get and expensive.

For anti-inflammatory eat plenty of ginger in your food. Or make 'ginger curry'. Make turka as normal, Grate ginger, add it to turka along with water (tarri). Bring to boil, then let it simmer for a while. Bon appetit. Oh, also add plenty of garlic to it - unless your going on a date, then leave it out.

Another is a smoothie made with celery, ginger and pineapple. Just chop up and throw in blender with a bit of apple juice or water to thin it down a bit. Pineapple contains Bromalin which is good for joints. Its concentration is found in the fibrous centre of the fruit. The hard part that most people throw away! So add that in.

One you start getting better. if you dont already do it, start gentle running on grass in the park. Do it barefoot!

Can I submit this for evidence please?

Have we found the holy grail of the 'pure stuff'?

post-3203-0-43988200-1327840787_thumb.jp

Can I submit this for evidence please?

Have we found the holy grail of the 'pure stuff'?

I'm not stating the stuff you buy here is not 100%.

Its the manufacturing process.

The stuff you get in packets. The raw haldi plant is boiled, dried then ground down into powder.

The kachi-haldi is simply sun-dried and then ground into powder. The boiling (which destroys vital phyto-nutrients and enzymes) process is omitted.

I'm not stating the stuff you buy here is not 100%.

Its the manufacturing process.

The stuff you get in packets. The raw haldi plant is boiled, dried then ground down into powder.

The kachi-haldi is simply sun-dried and then ground into powder. The boiling (which destroys vital phyto-nutrients and enzymes) process is omitted.

This summer I'm defo going to make my own huldee. Haven't got a garden or balconey anymore so will have to rely on window ledge! So I simply skin, cut in thin pieces and dry them over a few days? Then grind.

Is it still yellow like the packet stuff?

Also, they haven't twigged onto the advantages of dropping a pinch of ground black pepper into the mix either....btw.

Also, they haven't twigged onto the advantages of dropping a pinch of ground black pepper into the mix either....btw.

Shhhh....keep it quiet, mate.

Yep, the homemade stuff should be very dark yellow, almost brownish in colour. Also the aroma is noticeably a lot stronger.

Though I don't know where you will actually get the plant from. I've never seen it myself. I'm not sure that the North Euro climate is warm enough to grow it.

But worth a try. If you succeed.... go commercial, perhaps name your company WestEnd Foods? Natural organic whole foods.

Shhhh....keep it quiet, mate.

Yep, the homemade stuff should be very dark yellow, almost brownish in colour. Also the aroma is noticeably a lot stronger.

Though I don't know where you will actually get the plant from. I've never seen it myself. I'm not sure that the North Euro climate is warm enough to grow it.

But worth a try. If you succeed.... go commercial, perhaps name your company WestEnd Foods? Natural organic whole foods.

No I meant as in get the raw huldee from a pendu shop (there are loads around Green Street and Eastham I could try) and then skin, wash and dry these! I don't think we could grow the stuff here with a green house anyway.D

Can I use the homemade stuff just like the packet stuff in cooking? Or will it drastically alter the taste of my legendary chicken palak curry?

Edited by dalsingh101

Can I use the homemade stuff just like the packet stuff in cooking? Or will it drastically alter the taste of my legendary chicken palak curry?

Yea Sure you can. It'll actually give a much better depth to the taste of your chicken palak.

If you want to get into drying meat, herbs and spices in a big way you can get dehydrators to do the job. I think they look a bit like microwaves.

when you do perfect you recipe for your chicken palak curry make sure to invite us round.

What, so the Sikh vegetarian mafia can vilify and abuse me! lol

Nah bro , ur safe .

we're on sa.com: everyone on here is a meat eating sanatanist, kala afghani, bhangra dancing, closet whiskey drinking, anti-khalistani, congress voting, pro-Euro, Gingrich supporting, late night Leno watching instead of nam japping posters.

Oh and many members here also go swimming!!!!! (such manmatting jooth drinking, sexual activity it is)

So no-one here is gonna judge you for cooking and eating a poor , innocent chicken just so you can satisfy your tongue!

;)