Bhavisya Purana

Lord Brahma, Visnu & Siva rape Anasuya and are cursed. This is also an origin of the holy Shiv linga as Siva is cursed to be worshipped as the linga (phallus):

"One day the sage Atri was performing tapas with his wife Anasuya. Brahma, Visnu, and Siva came and offered him a boon, but Atri remained silent, meditating. Then the three gods went to Anasuya. Siva had his linga in his hand, Visnu was full of erotic feeling, and Brahma was beside himself with desire, saying to Anasuya,'Make love with me or I will die.' When she heard this coarse speech, Anasuya made no reply, for, although she feared the anger of the gods, she was true to her husband. But they were overcome with delusion, and they raped her by force. Then she became angry and she cursed Siva to be worshipped as a linga, Brahma to be worshipped in the form of a head, and Visnu to be worshipped as feet, in order to ridicule them all, and she cursed them all to be reborn as her sons. Because of this, Siva was reborn as Durvasas." -- Bhavisya Purana 3:4:17:67-78.

First of all what do you mean by 'true'. If you mean this in a historical sense, than it is not true. This event did not occur at a physical location at a particular time.

The scene you have described is a variation of a particular mythological story. The actors in this 'story' are not people like you or me. They are hypostatized or ideas made into substance. So rape incest and other immoral goings on that occur in mythologies cannot be judged from the human point of view. These occurrences are signs for events that occur and are occurring in the 'other world'. By the other world, I mean the world of archetypes or of pure forms. The world we live in is a mixed up world a world of confusion, a false world, where nothing is stable. Certain myths describe the worlds that are of a higher order of truth/reality than this false one. The strange paradoxical stories we find in ithihas' like Ramayana and Mahabharata are narrations of actual real-er events than we are able to see. It is ironic and meaningful that the word 'myth' has a derogatory meaning in todays' world.

I could go on as to how humans are the means through which certain battles are fought But i don't think this is what you wanted to hear - So yes the bhavishya Purana is considered a late concoction and spurious.

First of all what do you mean by 'true'. If you mean this in a historical sense, than it is not true. This event did not occur at a physical location at a particular time.

The scene you have described is a variation of a particular mythological story. The actors in this 'story' are not people like you or me. They are hypostatized or ideas made into substance. So rape incest and other immoral goings on that occur in mythologies cannot be judged from the human point of view. These occurrences are signs for events that occur and are occurring in the 'other world'. By the other world, I mean the world of archetypes or of pure forms. The world we live in is a mixed up world a world of confusion, a false world, where nothing is stable. Certain myths describe the worlds that are of a higher order of truth/reality than this false one. The strange paradoxical stories we find in ithihas' like Ramayana and Mahabharata are narrations of actual real-er events than we are able to see. It is ironic and meaningful that the word 'myth' has a derogatory meaning in todays' world.

I could go on as to how humans are the means through which certain battles are fought But i don't think this is what you wanted to hear - So yes the bhavishya Purana is considered a late concoction and spurious.

Ok , i understand , Sikhs should not give repect to these devte , who are full of Kaam and Krodh.

• 2 weeks later...

"Ok , i understand , Sikhs should not give repect to these devte , who are full of Kaam and Krodh."

Is there anywhere is Shri Guru Granth Sahib where is tells a Sikh to show disrespect toward devatay as you are doing? Can you please share the pauri or tuuk with us which says that? Thank you Ji. You are showing only your completely limited knowledge and inability to grasp the deeper symbolism.

ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਨਾਦੰ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਵੇਦੰ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਰਹਿਆ ਸਮਾਈ ॥

Gurmukẖ nāḏaʼn gurmukẖ veḏaʼn gurmukẖ rahi▫ā samā▫ī.

The Guru's Word is the Sound-current of the Naad; the Guru's Word is the Wisdom of the Vedas; the Guru's Word is all-pervading.

ਗੁਰੁ ਈਸਰੁ ਗੁਰੁ ਗੋਰਖੁ ਬਰਮਾ ਗੁਰੁ ਪਾਰਬਤੀ ਮਾਈ ॥

Gur īsar gur gorakẖ barmā gur pārbaṯī mā▫ī.

The Guru is Shiva, the Guru is Vishnu and Brahma; the Guru is Paarvati and Lakhshmi.

~SGGS Ji ang 2

ਹਮ ਕਹੀਅਤ ਕਲਿਜੁਗ ਕੇ ਕਾਮੀ ॥੧॥

Ham kahī▫aṯ kalijug ke kāmī. ||1||

I am called a lustful being of the Dark Age of Kali Yuga. ||1||

ਇਨ ਪੰਚਨ ਮੇਰੋ ਮਨੁ ਜੁ ਬਿਗਾਰਿਓ ॥

In pancẖan mero man jo bigāri▫o.

The five vices have corrupted my mind.

ਪਲੁ ਪਲੁ ਹਰਿ ਜੀ ਤੇ ਅੰਤਰੁ ਪਾਰਿਓ ॥੨॥

Pal pal har jī ṯe anṯar pāri▫o. ||2||

Moment by moment, they lead me further away from the Lord. ||2||

ਜਤ ਦੇਖਉ ਤਤ ਦੁਖ ਕੀ ਰਾਸੀ ॥

Jaṯ ḏekẖ▫a▫u ṯaṯ ḏukẖ kī rāsī.

Wherever I look, I see loads of pain and suffering.

ਅਜੌਂ ਨ ਪਤ੍ਯ੍ਯਾਇ ਨਿਗਮ ਭਏ ਸਾਖੀ ॥੩॥

Ajouʼn na paṯ▫yā▫e nigam bẖa▫e sākẖī. ||3||

I do not have faith, even though the Vedas bear witness to the Lord. ||3||

ਗੋਤਮ ਨਾਰਿ ਉਮਾਪਤਿ ਸ੍ਵਾਮੀ ॥

Goṯam nār umāpaṯ savāmī.

Gautam's wife and the Lord Indra mated;

ਸੀਸੁ ਧਰਨਿ ਸਹਸ ਭਗ ਗਾਂਮੀ ॥੪॥

Sīs ḏẖaran sahas bẖag gāʼnmī. ||4||

Shiva cut off Brahma's head, Brahma's head got stuck to Shiva's hand, and Indra came to bear the marks of a thousand female organs. ||4||

ਇਨ ਦੂਤਨ ਖਲੁ ਬਧੁ ਕਰਿ ਮਾਰਿਓ ॥

In ḏūṯan kẖal baḏẖ kar māri▫o.

These demons have fooled, bound and destroyed me.

~SGGS Ji ang 710

It is clear Guruji Himself did not shy away from such symbolism nor trash and mock it, rather expounded upon it with Brahmgyaan and used the lessons to teach us. The devatay are shining lights, from the root Sanskrit meaning of the term deva, and are like an angel which are forces working WITH the God, not against the God, even in Shri Guru Granth Sahib. So it is outrageous, that in your lack of understanding you're trying to insult the devatay and make them seem evil and meaningless. All the devatay belong to the created order and are a part of sansaar, and this is why Gurbani says their realms/lokas are impermanent. They are made from the same gunas, rajo, tamo, sato which is where punj vikaars and haumai arises from. Symbolically the stories of devatay in these Puranas show human tendencies and traits and are written as lessons for us about the obstacles to higher consciousness. People could remember some sin Indra committed which led to some punishment, and in this way these were lessons. Anybody taking literally has rocks for brains.

Consider also the same exact symbolism exists in Shri Dasm Granth Sahib Ji in Bachittar Natak.

Or are you in your profound ignorance also degrading and accusing the Sikh Guru Sahibaan who taught Sikhs from these same Puranic stories, as being something low because you think it is something to mock and degrade? Remember the lesson about people who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones, because Sikhism was born in a Hindu house, and the glass you wind up breaking might very well be your own. Don't degrade the very things your own Sikh Guru's taught from and themselves did not degrade.

ਅਨਿਕ ਲਾਭ ਮਨੋਰਥ ਲਾਧੇ ॥

Anik lābẖ manorath lāḏẖe.

earning huge profits and seeing one's desires fulfilled -

ਹਰਿ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮ ਰਸਨ ਆਰਾਧੇ ॥੨॥

Har har nām rasan ārāḏẖe. ||2||

these are obtained by chanting the Name of the Lord, Har, Har, with the tongue. ||2||

ਸਿੰਮ੍ਰਿਤਿ ਸਾਸਤ ਬੇਦ ਬਖਾਨੇ ॥

Simriṯ sāsaṯ beḏ bakẖāne.

The merits of reciting the Simritees, the Shaastras and the Vedas,

ਜੋਗ ਗਿਆਨ ਸਿਧ ਸੁਖ ਜਾਨੇ ॥

Jog gi▫ān siḏẖ sukẖ jāne.

knowledge of the science of Yoga, spiritual wisdom and the pleasure of miraculous spiritual powers -

ਨਾਮੁ ਜਪਤ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਸਿਉ ਮਨ ਮਾਨੇ ॥੩॥

Nām japaṯ parabẖ si▫o man māne. ||3||

these come by surrendering the mind and meditating on the Name of God. ||3||

~SGGS Ji ang 202

Why does Gurbani say this about Hindu scriptures and not something mocking and degrading as you have written?

ਬੇਦ ਪੁਰਾਨ ਪੜੇ ਕੋ ਇਹ ਗੁਨ ਸਿਮਰੇ ਹਰਿ ਕੋ ਨਾਮਾ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥

Beḏ purān paṛe ko ih gun simre har ko nāmā. ||1|| rahā▫o.

This is the blessing of studying the Vedas and the Puraanas, that you may meditate on the Name of the Lord. ||1||Pause||

~SGGS Ji ang 220

ਸਿਮਰਉ ਜਾਸੁ ਬਿਸੁੰਭਰ ਏਕੈ ॥

Simra▫o jās bisumbẖar ekai.

Remember in praise the One who pervades the whole Universe.

ਨਾਮੁ ਜਪਤ ਅਗਨਤ ਅਨੇਕੈ ॥

Nām japaṯ agnaṯ anekai.

His Name is chanted by countless people, in so many ways.

ਬੇਦ ਪੁਰਾਨ ਸਿੰਮ੍ਰਿਤਿ ਸੁਧਾਖ੍ਯ੍ਯਰ ॥

Beḏ purān simriṯ suḏẖākẖ▫yar.

The Vedas, the Puraanas and the Simritees, the purest of utterances,

ਕੀਨੇ ਰਾਮ ਨਾਮ ਇਕ ਆਖ੍ਯ੍ਯਰ ॥

Kīne rām nām ik ākẖ▫yar.

were created from the One Word of the Name of the Lord.

~SGGS Ji ang 262

ਹਰਿ ਕੀ ਕਥਾ ਹਿਰਦੈ ਬਸਾਵੈ ॥

Har kī kathā hirḏai basāvai.

He implants the Sermon of the Lord in his heart.

ਸੋ ਪੰਡਿਤੁ ਫਿਰਿ ਜੋਨਿ ਨ ਆਵੈ ॥

So pandiṯ fir jon na āvai.

Such a Pandit is not cast into the womb of reincarnation again.

ਬੇਦ ਪੁਰਾਨ ਸਿਮ੍ਰਿਤਿ ਬੂਝੈ ਮੂਲ ॥

Beḏ purān simriṯ būjẖai mūl.

He understands the fundamental essence of the Vedas, the Puraanas and the Simritees.

ਸੂਖਮ ਮਹਿ ਜਾਨੈ ਅਸਥੂਲੁ ॥

Sūkẖam mėh jānai asthūl.

In the unmanifest, he sees the manifest world to exist.

ਚਹੁ ਵਰਨਾ ਕਉ ਦੇ ਉਪਦੇਸੁ ॥

Cẖahu varnā ka▫o ḏe upḏes.

He gives instruction to people of all castes and social classes.

ਨਾਨਕ ਉਸੁ ਪੰਡਿਤ ਕਉ ਸਦਾ ਅਦੇਸੁ ॥੪॥

Nānak us pandiṯ ka▫o saḏā aḏes. ||4||

O Nanak, to such a Pandit, I bow in salutation forever. ||4||

ਬੀਜ ਮੰਤ੍ਰੁ ਸਰਬ ਕੋ ਗਿਆਨੁ ॥

Bīj manṯar sarab ko gi▫ān.

The Beej Mantra, the Seed Mantra, is spiritual wisdom for everyone.

ਚਹੁ ਵਰਨਾ ਮਹਿ ਜਪੈ ਕੋਊ ਨਾਮੁ ॥

Cẖahu varnā mėh japai ko▫ū nām.

Anyone, from any class, may chant the Naam.

~SGGS Ji ang 274

ਤੁਰਕ ਤਰੀਕਤਿ ਜਾਨੀਐ ਹਿੰਦੂ ਬੇਦ ਪੁਰਾਨ ॥

Ŧurak ṯarīkaṯ jānī▫ai hinḏū beḏ purān.

The Muslim knows the Muslim way of life; the Hindu knows the Vedas and Puraanas.

ਮਨ ਸਮਝਾਵਨ ਕਾਰਨੇ ਕਛੂਅਕ ਪੜੀਐ ਗਿਆਨ ॥੫॥

Man samjẖāvan kārne kacẖẖū▫ak paṛī▫ai gi▫ān. ||5||

To instruct their minds, people ought to study some sort of spiritual wisdom. ||5||

~SGGS Ji ang 340

Edited by HarjasKaur

• 14 years later...
Guest Vikram

Bhavishyotara purana is one text which has been heavily distorted doctored by mohammdeans and christian missionaries. However authentic texts are still Available and I can assure you nothing of this sort ever happened. Its very silly and stupid. Even sanskrit language of that garbage is heavily flawed.

1 hour ago, Guest Vikram said:

Bhavishyotara purana is one text which has been heavily distorted doctored by mohammdeans and christian missionaries. However authentic texts are still Available and I can assure you nothing of this sort ever happened. Its very silly and stupid. Even sanskrit language of that garbage is heavily flawed.

Sounds unlikely. You have references?