Missing Nitnem?

If one misses nitnem due to illness or waking up late what should be done according to gurmat?

What about missing isnan? What is the situation with doing nitnem or paath without isnaan, if say someone is too poorly to get up and do it for a period?

Help appreciated..

I was listening to a tape of Sant Isher Singh Ji just today and they spoke of this. 'Nit-nem' by definition, is that which is done everyday without fail. It's food for the soul, just as the body gets weak without nourishment, our spirit suffers without Gurbani.

(This is my own opinion now)- Being late isn't really an excuse, but I know it happens, lol. The hukam I was given is that I can't eat anything until I've at least done 5 Banis. This is very effective in making sure I get Nitnem done, even if it's at 6pm whem I get back home. Also, it's ok to listen to Nitnem while on the move, if you have to.

Regarding Ishnan - if you can stand up or get out of bed, you can have ishnan. Besides, Guru Sahib tells us that having Ishnan and doing Nitnem gets rid of physical as well as mental diseases. There are times when it is impossible to have a full ishnan e.g. on a long flight etc. In that case, you wash your hands, face, feet and brush your teeth then do your Nitnem.

When you first start keeping a Nitnem, you will face many obstacles but need to keep fighting to the end - "Khalsa Karey Nit Jung..." Remembering Guru Gobind Singh Ji's bachan: "Rehat Pyaari Mujh Ko, Sikh Pyara Nahi.." also helps.

Thanks yet again Matheen. Your post was spot on on, once you start bani, when you miss it completely you feel strangely empty. I ended up listening to Jaap Sahib after listening to Rehras in the evening today because it felt odd. I don't know why but Jaap Sahib seems to have the most resonance with me? I also struggled with the food issue and generally did the paath on an empty stomach, then I changed this because it was so cold in the mornings. Now I have a cup of hot milk, sometimes with huldee and honey (lol) to help keep me warm. A tiny sprinkle of finely powdered cinnamon also makes this taste nice.

I am doing some simran and Japji Sahib, Jaap Sahib and (most of the time) Anand Sahib in the mornings to start with. I will do the rest once I have mastered these.

I would like to know why the Rehras in my Singh Bros. gutka is significantly shorter than the one in my Taksali gutka? If anyone can explain the history of this too me.

I think this is mentioned in the prem sumarag granth. It says something like if you miss your nitnem because you wake up to late then do path of mool mantar and the first few stanzas of jaap sahib. I'll try and post it here when i get the book

Strange but I was thinking about the same thing and I reread the Prem Sumarag Granth translation. Just a point of interest is how the morning nitnem according to the granth is Japji Sahib, Jaap Sahib and 'Anand' FIVE TIMES! That is like more than 3 hours long! Surely that is a translation mistake? It also says to do a Japji and Jaap Sahib after Rehras???

post-3203-126264656302_thumb.jpg

Good job in building a Nitnem, it's all Guru Ji's kirpa. Swaiyye is very short and would only take a couple of minutes extra, Chaupai Sahib is short as well.

The SGPC came up with the short Rehras Sahib as some sort of compromise between the traditional sampardas and the modernists, who wanted it even shorter. The 'Taksali' version is identical to the one read by most sampardas and is the same as the one in Baba Deep Singh Ji's Gutka Sahib. The Nihangs have an even longer version, and the Hazur Sahib/ Nanaksar version is slightly longer as well.

N30 posted a video on here last week about how the Chaupai Sahib was shortened, which is relevant in this case.

'Prem Sumarag' is best dealt with academically, I wouldn't follow the Maryada from there....

The SGPC came up with the short Rehras Sahib as some sort of compromise between the traditional sampardas and the modernists, who wanted it even shorter. The 'Taksali' version is identical to the one read by most sampardas and is the same as the one in Baba Deep Singh Ji's Gutka Sahib. The Nihangs have an even longer version, and the Hazur Sahib/ Nanaksar version is slightly longer as well.

If Baba Deep Singh Jee was a Nihang, then shouldn't he have had the longer Nihang version of Rehras Sahib in his Gutka instead of the shorter Taksali Rehras sahib?

If Baba Deep Singh Jee was a Nihang, then shouldn't he have had the longer Nihang version of Rehras Sahib in his Gutka instead of the shorter Taksali Rehras sahib?

Ki Patha? It's not really relevant to this thread, but that is the Rehras Sahib in their Gutka Sahib - there was a link on here some time back to a recording of Sant Jagjit SIngh Ji Harkhowal wale who have seen the pothi.

Once one takes Khande De Pahul, missing NITNEM and Isnaan is never an option. Puratan maryadai mention if you are unable to have full isnaan, then have panj isnaan (both arms, both legs and face).

If you are unable to read the NITNEM, put on your headphones and listen to it, you can do this even if you are unable to sit up, so no excuses.

The other hukum from Puratan Maryadai and Panj Pyare (in most cases) is one cannot even consume a glass of water before NITNEM is complete, let alone anything else. Many Gursikh follow this example for evening rehraas as well (no dinner before rehraas sahib).

Re rehraas sahib, I would suggest Taksali one as a minimum. Although I prefer the Nihang one – which has more Dasam Bani.

There is a Chaupai Sahib website where you can get the gist of why Singh Sahiban rehraas is so much shorter.

There is gutka sahib of Bhai Maharaj Singh in the one of the British Museums – this would be a good starting point to research puratan rehraas sahib 1st hand if anyone is seriously interested.

The other hukum from Puratan Maryadai and Panj Pyare (in most cases) is one cannot even consume a glass of water before NITNEM is complete, let alone anything else.

Seriously! Wowsers.....

I understand in a way though, if you eat beforehand your whole digestive system starts rumbling away as you do paat. Empty is better, but my flat s FREEZING in the mornings so I need something to warm me up sometimes. Have you got any sources for breakfast policies?

If you are unable to read the NITNEM, put on your headphones and listen to it, you can do this even if you are unable to sit up, so no excuses.

That is good to know. That is how I started off. Thing is, my discipline is quite good right now but that is probably because I am taking a sabbatical and am not knackered from work or rushing to get there on time. When I go back, i wonder if it will become more difficult? Cross that one when it comes.

Re rehraas sahib, I would suggest Taksali one as a minimum. Although I prefer the Nihang one – which has more Dasam Bani.

I'm not going to try and hide it. There are many things I don't understand yet. Like why is the closing section of Charitro pakyaan in rehras? I do the taksal one by the way.

Does anyone know the background to the Hamri karo haath da racha bani. It seems like dasmesh pita is pouring his heart out there.

For simran and nitnem both, choose a nice spot in your flat (near a radiator – put your heating on timer) don’t sit on a naked floor, even if carpeted, buy a rug (sheep skin is perfect – warms up in seconds) and sit on that. Leave a nice big shawl on your radiator at night, so when you start simran/nitnem after ishnaan, your warmed shawl will keep you cosy (as well as your sheep skin, lol). Make habit of doing paat in one spot, you create association with that spot and that is half the battle won.

Panj pyare usually mention no food before nitnem, I take it you haven’t taken Khande de Pahul yet, so you won’t be aware of this. I will and try and dig out some written rehits also when I have a spare minute.

Not sure what you mean by breakfast policy, Gurus given policy is feed the ‘spirit’ 1st, then the body.

Another reasone for not eating before Nitnem is that an empty 'peht' is best for bhagti. It also helps you to do your paath everyday.

I personally prefer the cold to do Simran in, but we're all different - if I'm too comfortable, I'll fall asleep!

The important thing is to keep going, even on days when your mind starts trying to stop you. Step by step......

Seriously is a warm drink out of the question then......this Khalsa thing is well spartan...lol

Lol, just take your cold ishnaan, then put wrap up in a shawl, thats what people have always done, i don't know what the fuss is all about. I gave you the idea of the shawl on the radiator because you complained about the cold. One should always observe sitting on a skin/rug though, as cold from the floor will get to your spine, and that is not good. All bhagats have always used skins to sit on, its comfortable, sensible as well protective (Lion skin etc if you are in the Jungle)!!

When you achieve a basic level of meditation, you will stop feeling warm or cold temperature in any case.

TMfy pwxI jo nih nHwvY ibn jp pVHy pRswd ju KwvY ]

t(h)a(n)ddae paanee jo nehi nhaavai bin jap parrhae prasaadh j khaavai ||

Those who do not take their morning bath in cold water and those who eat before their Nitnem infringe the Rehat.

Rehatnama Bhai Nand Laal Jee

pRwqw kwl gur gIq n gwvY ] rihrws ibnw pRswid jo KwvY]

praathaa kaal gur geeth n gaavai || rehiraas binaa prasaadh jo khaavai||

Those who do not sing the Guru's Hymn at dawn and those who eat before doing Rehraas are punishable.

Thankhaanama Bhai Nand Laal Jee

Seriously is a warm drink out of the question then......this Khalsa thing is well spartan...lol

I may have been misinformed, but I was always under the impression that you could drink something beforehand. I know some Nihangs who drink sukhnidhaan before nitnem. I usually drink a hot glass of milk with some black pepper, tumeric, honey and cinnamon in it.

If you get cold in the mornings, try brushing the skin on your body with a stiff brush or loofah until it gets a little red (this opens up the pores) then take a cold shower. I find this helps a lot in winter.

Congrats on keeping your nitnem. May Guru Ji bless you with success in your bhagti.

K.

I'm not going to try and hide it. There are many things I don't understand yet. Like why is the closing section of Charitro pakyaan in rehras? I do the taksal one by the way.

You know that Chaupai Sahib is the last portion of Charitarpakhyaan in Sri Dasam Granth, right?

You know that Chaupai Sahib is the last portion of Charitarpakhyaan in Sri Dasam Granth, right?

I figured as much, I guess I have much to learn and understand, so forgive 'blonde' questions from time to time folks.

Was sodar in GGS the reharas in Guru Nanak's time, what pages of the Guru Granth Sahib can I find this in?