How Do Nihangs Do Shastar Pooja

jaikaara

I have heard Gyani Takur Singh Ji mention Guru Gobind Singhs hukum for his Singhs to do actual physical pooja of their shastar - by placing them on a high pedestal (after doing their seva - cleaning, sharpening etc), and literally worshipping them.. the significance of this in terms of creating a deep respect and relationship with shastar (belief in their capability - which also came with practicing the necessary vidya) was evidenced on the battlefield of the Khalsa's early days.

I videod the kathaa, will share it with sangat in the near future.

There is a line between the blind idol worship of a Shastar, and true Shastar Pooja. Just waving a thoof over your weapons, and bowing to them is not Shastar Pooja, it is all fruitless unless you actually train with them. For example, even Guns are respected and worthy of Pooja, however if you spent your days just cleaning, waving thoof and bowing to a gun, when the time of battle comes you wont be very successful as youve never learnt how to load the brood inside it, push the bullet through and then pack it again, setting the flint or burning the igniter, above that you wont have a nishana which is the key to shooting, you wont have gained appreciation for the timings needed to set the brood alight before the bullet is shot. In the same way, with a tulwar you wont know how to draw it correctly, how each vaar is done, the best way to cut, the flows of cutting, timing, distancing, avoiding strikes, penthra, how other vaars are stopped and countered, strategies, formation fighting etc.

Shastar Pooja has a practical reason, if your weapons arent clean they can get stuck within the miyan when drawing and prevent rusting, applying oil makes them come out of the miyan quicker and more silently, the oil stops blood and dirt settling on the blade, sharpening obviously gives you a cleaner cut. It is said that the bhavna of each warrior resides within their sword, the more you train with one sword the more you become one with it. The reverence of Thoof, salutations and placing on thakhts and pedestals is for the showering of respect and honour over the weapon. These actions were seen as respect to the weapon which will ultimately do your rakheya on the battlefield.

The videos on the Shastarvidiya site regardining Shastarpooja are not just salutations, on a practical level it is a martial regime in order to build fitness, stamina, muscle strength and the agility required for swordsmanship.

Edited by Maha Singh

As I mentioned, both aspects are equally important - they compliment and strengthen each other. More importantly Yudh is an aspect of Dharma for Singhs, so should always be treated as such, as taught to us by our Guru. As NITNEM, Kirtan, Simran has a deep psychological affect on our being (physical as well as spiritual), same way Shastar Pooja AND VICHAAR has deep and very important psychological affect on temperament, spirituality and ability.

Edited by shaheediyan

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4428914775237578864#

Beautiful, please listen to all of it, you will also get to hear some Shastar Vidya techniques in the middle!!!

Bhai Sahib says that Guru Gobind Singh Ji was a 'Shastar da KelaRi' he who plays with weapons. Refering back to my 'only Masters have adoption ability' Bhai Sahib explains Maharaj could pick up any shastar and 'play' with it i.e. learn to use it in its most effective way. Play or kehl here means to 'learn/experiment/do abyaas on'.

Magic.

Edited by shaheediyan

i thank all of you veers for helping me here, to tell the truth I really feel to follow the puratan way of Dharam where a kala afghana or a darshan was unheard. I am not that dedicated even to Naam Simran. I have really do something about this.

I will tell you my experience, this may sound a bit weird but here I shall share my feelings.

I was very eager to go to Anandpur Sahib, the birth place of Khalsa. My wish was fulfilled last year. I visited Anandpur Sahib last January. I did the matha teko and was going around, however the feeling was strange I was not feeling the way I should be while visiting this destination. There was something making me restless.

I had heard of the Shastar darshan of Guru Maharaj and inquired about the timings . I was visiting the shops around and none of them told me correct timings. I finally found that it was at 9 pm.

As soon as I had the darshan of the Shastars, my heart was filled with that joy I should have experienced. I felt as if in Chardhikala.

The Shastars of Guru Maharaj ji had filled my heart with a feeling of satisfaction I could never forget.

Thanks for sharing your experience. Making the effort to 'experience' rather than the rabid theorising tht goes on on this forum nowadays is what we need more of. Somethings cannot be put into words - only '1st hand experience' can make one understand certain puratan maryadai/rvaaj.

Same way, I had indescribable experiences at both Keshgar Sahib and Hazur Sahib as well as the Nihang Gurdwarai surrounding the Godavari... having the darshan of the Gurus and puratan Khalsayan de shastar which had been poojed for centuries...

SHAHEEDI Veer ji , please share with us the Gurudwaras that are along the Godavri, are they different than the 8 Gurudwaras that are usually visited ? I am off to Huzoor Sahib next weekend thats around the 18th of this month . Please share your experience, I have been there twice and I feel there is a lot more I have missed.

The ones visited are

Gurudwara Banda Ghat Sahib,

Gurudwara Shikar Ghat Sahib,

Gurudwara Nagina Ghat Sahib,

Gurudwara Sangat Sahib,

Gurudwara Mal Tekdi Sahib,

Gurudwara Hira Ghat Sahib

and Mata Sahib Devaan Ji

You seemed to have visited all the Godavari Guru Ghar (the Ghatts). I didn't get a chance to visit all of them, relatively few in fact, but I would recommend them all as I have been told all are magical. Make an effort to go the Karnataka Guru Ghar, they are awesome - still in a rural setting.. seva and sangat there is mindblowing.

Gurdwarai you haven't mentioned are:

Gurudwara Hazur Sahib: Nanded

Gobind Bagh: Nanded

Gurdwara Bhai Daya Singh

Gurdwara Nanaksar: Nanded

Gurudwara Dhawani Mahalla : Aurangabad

Gurudwara Ratangadh: Nanded

Gurdwara Guptsar Sahib : Nanded

Gurdwara Yadgar Sahib: Delgoor

Gurdwara Bhai Dhanna ji: Loha

These 2 are around half a days drive and are in Karnataka state (rough terrain)!

Nanak Jhira

Gurudwara Tap Asthan Mai Bhago

did u notice once thing veera , in fact when i visited the Nanaksar Gurdwara where they have the 'paduka' of Babaji, there was no proper 'khand' for resting the Guru Granth Sahib after hours . The kar seva wale jatha had come and had started video shooting and argueing. I pity the man who was handling their aggressive behaviour.

Narsingh Avtar became pargat in what is now Pakistan (I think), he then journeyed to this location in India and disappeared. There is a long tunnel with an underground river flowing from it. At the end of the tunnel is the location where the avtar disappeared from the world, and the location where the river springs from the ground. Don't know the name of the river. At the mouth of the tunnel entrance is a mandir dedicated to the Avtar.

• 8 years later...

I have heard that in nihang dals like Budha Dal they do Shastar Pooja with all the shastars wash them use dhoof jyot and read banis like Chandi Di Vaar, Shastar Naam Mala, Ugardanti and other banis around them as they get shakti power when bani is read near by.

As my elders due to my caste used to Baba Vishwakarma Ji ardas infront of all the tools they could find in their homes. 

I still know middle aged people who know the ardas from my caste community.

Its the same princple for Shastar Naam Mala around shastar pooja.

All nihang dal do shastar pooja as its purtan maryada.

Here is a few examples i found online related to the maryada.

http://sikh-reality.blogspot.com/2010/10/nine-nights-of-nauratey-and-tenth-of.html?m=1

https://m.facebook.com/652447751445011/photos/a.654586217897831.1073741831.652447751445011/995158367173946/?type=3&_ft_=top_level_post_id.995158367173946%3Atl_objid.995158367173946%3Athid.652447751445011%3A306061129499414%3A69%3A1420099200%3A1451635199%3A-8407892146641644402&__tn__=E

http://kamalroopsingh.blogspot.com/2012/11/a-translation-of-shastravidia-book-by.html?m=1

Bansavalinama written in 1769 CE by Kesar Singh Chibber also mentions the celebrating of Dusshera. Kesar Singh Ji writes:

ਦੁਸਹਰੇ ਦੇ ਦਿਨ ਪੂਜਾ ਸ਼ਸਤ੍ਰਾਂ ਦੀ ਕਰਨ । ਚੰਡੀਪਾਠ ਕੀਤਾ ਰਸਨਾ ਦਾ ਉਚਾਰਨ ।

On the days of Dusshera, worship your weapons. From your mouths you should recite the ballads of Chandi [Chandi Chritars and Chandi Di Vaar].

ਧੂਪ ਦੀਪ, ਪੁਸ਼ਪ, ਬਹੁਤ ਹੋਵੈ ਸੁਗੰਧਿ । ਕੇਸਰ, ਚੰਦਨ, ਚਉਰ ਝੁਲੰਤ ।੩੯੦।

[Worship your weapons by using] lots of Incense, Gee-lamps, flowers and nice fragrances. [use] Saffron, Sandalwood and a Wisk to wave [above your weapons].

- Bansavalinama pg. 161 ਬੰਸਾਵਲੀਨਾਮਾ ਪਨਾ ੧੬੧

• 2 years later...