Meditation - My Experiance, Am I Allowed To Share?

Welcome to the forum.

Just to remind,.... all the info and contributions on here are nothing official, but just how we have gone around trying various methods and how we have encountered them. I think more than anything, it is a great way to inspire and help each other on this journey.

I was trying all sorts of simran and meditation techniques before I was inspired by Sat's contributions on here.

Just knowing that he was doing this practically, regularly and getting more into waheguru, was a huge influence for the semi-confused me.

It was probably just after that, that I started paying serious attention to it and taking my steps with more devotion.

There's lots of theories out there, but most of these can't inspire unless someone has actually experienced it.

I hope you too can gain and in turn contribute to everybody's development.

Totally agree with above post, and I would try Sat's technique of focusing at the front of your own mouth.

I think the chances are pretty high that this could help settle your dhian.

Some people find it easier to focus near their ears, near the throat or just behind back of eyes, but you should settle in the one that you find more comfortable and just continue from there.

I wouldn't try and rush into saas saas, but just let it happen steadily and naturally. Once you can manage to keep that level where you can lock your mind solely onto listening to gurmantar, is probably when you should think about the next step/level.

And yes, like Sat says... one day you just find that all of a sudden your mind can just 'lock' into place !

It can take time, but you should slowly be able to bring your mind down from running in all directions of thoughts.

Eventually, it becomes a little easier to completely ignore thougths and just focus on gurmantar.

I used to think of this whole process as cleaning through the layers of filth on my mind.

It's not always easy, because I still have many occasions where I just can't settle in and struggle to subdue the mind.....at these times instead of getting annoyed and frustrated... I try and think of it as some internal cleansing going on.... this way it helps put me in a more positive and determined frame of mind the next time I try !!

I also agree in my case, that you continue breathing via mouth in saas saas. Only when you are ready for internal silent pasanti, do you start via nasal breathing.

Edited by Lucky

Great stuff Bhagat.

All these pointers are essential to help you build up that Awareness of the present moment.

Once you can get a grip of trying to stay in this awareness zone, then being able to not follow thoughts also becomes somewhat easier.

Edited by Lucky

Great stuff Bhagat.

All these pointers are essential to help you build up that Awareness of the present moment.

Once you can get a grip of trying to stay in this awareness zone, then being able to not follow thoughts also becomes somewhat easier.

Yeah and music helps too. Listening to bhajan, kirtan and learning to do it yourself is a meditation in itself and for many it's a lot easier.

Recently I came to find out how a hug is a great tool! Some people just need a strong hug. jadoo ki japhi as they say in Munna Bhai.

Whenever I am feeling down and negative, a hug brings some peace and awareness to my mind.

I urge all the meditation practitioners here to hug their family and friends. It's a powerful way to bring them to into Wahguru's presence even if only for a moment.

:)

I don't know why this is, I've talked to a Singh who's noticed the same thing but sometimes I notice the vibrations from naam abihas/reading bani are stronger when sitting in cold temperature. Could someone shed some light on this if they've noticed it as well.

http://ask.fm/basicsofsikhi/answer/112621657650

Ok I figured out why that happens, it's because your body's more awake when it's in the cold. That's another reason why cold showers are good.

I dont have any avastha of any sort but just asking this out of curiosity because I heard it many times during Katha.

What does it mean when people say that Jaap has gone into the Kanth/Throat ?

It is said that Jaap goes from mouth into kanth, where it becomes 100x faster. From Kanth it goes into Hirda 1000x faster, from Hirda into Nabhi, and from Nabhi to Rom Rom.

I am just curious to know how to take the Japp into Kanth ? How long does it take for it to go into Kanth? I try to do japp, but after one hour I am exhausted , lose the energy and motivation to keep going. How do you guys find the courage to keep going ?

What is the max number of hours someone has done continuous japp for? maybe that will motivate me to go beyond the 1-2 hr barrier.

Thing is , I have read and heard from many sources that Japp or Reading Bani should be recited loudly first and listened to with ears, so whenever I am tired or lazy and do banis silently, I feel dissatisfied with my efforts. And I am just a beginner, falling down with every little obstacle coming my way.

But reading this thread is very motivational. But just curious that no one mentioned anything about Kanth yet.

Since listening to this video I've been playing around with focusing in the center of my head behind the eyes and trying to do my gurmantar jaap with my dhyan there. I noticed very quickly that the sweetness is beginning to return to my mouth, actually I feel as if it about to explode on the upper side of my palette and is slowly manifesting on my tongue. Its been a while now since I last had these sweet sensations. Back then I didn't have an appreciation of it and wrote many posts with my struggle to handle such an intense taste. I have now come to learn that this internal amrit helps cleanse the naadies and helps in the progress on this path. This time will try not to get too hung up on it and just savor the experience and let it happen.

Please give me a slap on the wrist if I come back and say I can't cope with it again! :D

The sounds I was previously hearing which were also occurring less frequently are now also returning. Happy days!!!

Waheguru

Dear Bro Sat Jee,

first of all congrats for regaining your " treasure", so enjoy it.

Secondly, though you must be aware of it, is that, the Sounds(Dhun, Shabads) and Lights(Jot) are already there within, they do not go anywhere, it is our attention which is not there or looking in some other directions....due to several factors, but mainly to the dirt in our minds. But in spite of all that, He is so Gracious, that, even with our feeble efforts, He is satisfied and pleased, and makes our paths easier with His Grace .....

But then, sometimes one gets discouraged and despaired, thinking, my God, my dirt is so huge....that I doubt, that even with all Your Grace, it can not be washed away....because it is our filth as a thick wall, which is the barrier between us and our beloved Wahiguru...

Of course His Daya meher can wash anything, but one gets angry on oneself, by saying what the hell have you done, that still you do not get closer to Him, still full of impurities ....

May Wahiguru bless us all, with His love, and Grace us with His darshan...so that we may hug Him so tightly, that He may not escape from our arms...

Sat Sree Akal.

Edited by harsharan000

Meditation walk through. I highly recommend people have a listen to this who are trying to walk on the path of shabad surat marg. Some very helpful information is contained in this audio recording.

http://ishanews.org/media/audio/Meditation_Workshop_Hunt_Beach_CA_02_22_2014_PM.mp3

ishanews.org/media/audio/Meditation_Workshop_Hunt_Beach_CA_02_22_2014_PM.mp3

Edited by Sat1176

Baba Hari Singh Ji talks about Gurmantar and the various stages. He also talks about the process of reversing your breath https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Srq3UqegZAI

Like Lucky mentioned earlier in this thread:

One has to reverse the process and take that sound back to the Dhunni, the place where the sound arose from.

1. Parra

2. Basanti

3. Madhmaa

4. Bekhari

Another video which talks about the same thing but its in English

Edited by Truthseeker

Sitting here at work just focusing on slow nasal breathing and notice that both nostrils have opened up. Sushmana is active!The breathing feels so smooth and calming. It feels like such a natural time to just close my eyes and do gurmantar jaap, infact my eyes want to close by themselves. The breath seems to be going in very deep into both lungs and the feeling is very tranquil and cooling without any jerks. Its a damn shame I'm at work at this moment in time.

It is a beautiful sensation!!

Here some helpful tips:

Breath meditation

Sit on the chair or the floor with head, neck, and trunk in a straight line. Seated posture (asana) should be steady and comfortable in order to prevent you from shifting and adjusting the seated position. Perform Anuloma-Viloma (alternate nostril breathing). In the beginning breathing may be noisy but gradually as the nostrils open, the breathing should become soft and silent. Establish effortless quiet, slow, smooth and rhythmical breathing.

At this point you may begin mental nostril breathing, that is, without using your thumb and fingers to close and open the nostrils, you are shifting the flow of the breath from left to right nostril and vice-versa Now, bring your attention to the center of the eyebrows. Imagine and feel that your in-breath from the nostrils is going up to the center of the eyebrows and out-breath is starting from the center of the eyebrows and down and out from the nostrils.

Mentally observe and intend that your both nostrils are fully open and the breath is flowing equally from both nostrils. If one nostril feels blocked, less active or smaller than the other, mentally with a gentle will equalize them and direct the flow of breath equally from both nostrils. Observe the entire flow of in-breath and out-breath in the nose. Be aware of the tips of the nostrils and the outer walls of the nose and the inside walls of the nostrils as you breathe. Bring your attention to where the nostrils join the upper lip. Feel the in-coming and outgoing breath touching the upper lip and the edges of the nostril. This is the "breathing triangle," that is, in- coming breath is going up from the triangle base (the upper lip and nostrils juncture) and the outgoing breath initiated from the top of the triangle is going down and out touching the triangle base. . .

Now attend to the septum of the nose. Imagine as you inhale, the breath touches the inner walls of the septum and as you exhale, the breath touches the inner walls of the nostrils (another triangular breathing).

At this point, narrow your mental focus even more and become aware of the center of the tips of the septum where it joins the upper lip. Imagine there is a tiny hole at the tip of the nasal septum from where the in-breath and out-breath are entering and exiting.

You have now equalized your breath to the capacity you have at the present time. You are standing at the entrance of the Sushumna Nadi and breathing through it. According the Himalayan tradition, it is called, "Sushumana application"

My Guru Swami Rama of the Himalayan tradition taught us that "sushumna" is another name of "sukhmana" (sukha+mana) which literally means "happy and joyous mind."' Swami Rama said that with the application of Sushumna, you enter the state of a worry-free, happy and joyous mind.

Steady and comfortable seated posture, deep and silent breathing and the equalized flow of breath accompanied by joyous and peaceful state of mind (chitta prasadanam and mudita) you are set for a deep and prolonged meditation.

"Some offer prana (inhalation) into apana (exhalation)
Some offer apana (exhalation) into prana (inhalation).
By controlling the speed and course of prana and apana
They absorb themselves in pranayama" (Gita 4:29)

Prananyama can be the instrument for accessing pratyahara ("sensory withdrawal" the 5th stage, dharna (concentration, the 6th stage) meditation (dhyana, the 7th stage) or even absorption (Samadhi, the 8th stage). Such is the organic process of the 8-limb Yoga Tree.

Source : http://www.mindpub.com/art581.htm

Edited by Sat1176

Just re-read the following pangti's again.

Ang 953 - Sri Guru Nanak Dev Ji

He alone is an Udasi, a shaven-headed renunciate, who embraces renunciation.

so udaasee je paalay udaas.

He sees the Immaculate Lord dwelling in both the upper and lower regions.

araDh uraDh karay niranjan vaas.

He balances the sun and the moon energies. (balance of inhale/exhale in both nostrils)

chand sooraj kee paa-ay gandh.

In the Tenth Gate, the sky of the mind, he erects his pillar. (Put all your surti in the head and stay seated on that pillar/position)

gagan mandal meh ropai thamm.

Night and day, he remains in deep inner meditation.

ahinis antar rahai Dhi-aan.

Throughout existence and non-existence, there is only the Name of the One Lord.

aasat naasat ayko naa-o.

What is that Word, which holds the heart in its place?

ka-un so akhar jit rahai hi-aa-o.

When you look alike upon sunshine and shade, (Sunshine and shade I believe are references to left and right eyes. therefore sit in the centre between them)

Dhoop chhaav jay sam kar sahai.

says Nanak, then the Guru will speak to you. (Shabad Guru/Naam will manifest)

taa naanak aakhai gur ko kahai.

That alone is said to be the Lord`s temple, where the Lord is known.

har mandar so-ee aakhee-ai jithahu har jaataa.

In the human body, the Guru`s Word is found, when one understands that the Lord, the Supreme Soul, is in all.

maanas dayh gur bachnee paa-i-aa sabh aatam raam pachhaataa.

Don`t look for Him outside your self. The Creator, the Architect of Destiny, is within the home of your own heart.

baahar mool na khojee-ai ghar maahi biDhaataa.

The self-willed manmukh does not appreciate the value of the Lord`s temple (i.e body); they waste away and lose their lives.

manmukh har mandar kee saar na jaannee tinee janam gavaataa.

The One Lord is pervading in all; through the Word of the Guru`s Shabad, He can be found.

sabh meh ik varatdaa gur sabdee paa-i-aa jaa-ee.

Edited by Sat1176

Some more enlightening pangtis from Kabir Ji emphasizing the shabad/naam on Ang 483

When the Diamond (i.e. sound) of the Lord pierces the diamond of my mind, the fickle mind waving in the wind is easily absorbed into Him.

heerai heeraa bayDh pavan man sehjay rahi-aa samaa-ee.

This Diamond fills all with Divine Light; through the True Guru`s Teachings, I have found Him.

sagal jot in heerai bayDhee satgur bachnee mai paa-ee.

The sermon of the Lord is the unstruck, endless song. (The true internal katha of Har that one should listen is the sounds of the anhad bani)

har kee kathaa anaahad baanee.

Becoming a swan, one recognizes the Diamond of the Lord. Pause

hans hu-ay heeraa lay-ay pachhaanee. rahaa-o.

Says Kabeer, I have seen such a Diamond, permeating and pervading the world.

kahi kabeer heeraa as daykhi-o jag mah rahaa samaa-ee.

The hidden diamond became visible, when the Guru revealed it to me.

guptaa heeraa pargat bha-i-o jab gur gam dee-aa dikhaa-ee.

• 2 weeks later...

There will be a Simran Camp from October 3rd to 5th in Surrey and Abbotsford, British Columbia. Locations of Gurdwara's to be announced. I strongly suggest everyone to come and invite everyone they know. This is a very great opportunity to join the sangat from all over and remember God.

More information will be posted closer to the date: on http://mysimran.info/camps/

WJKK WJKF

Edited by Truthseeker

A bitter sweet slap from Sri Guru Teg Bahadur Ji on Ang 1353. :blush:

Why don`t you chant the Name of the Lord, you shameless fool?

ki-o na har ko naam layhi moorakh nilaaj ray.

Let devotional worship of the Lord enter into your heart, and abandon the intellectualism of your mind.

raam bhagat hee-ay aan chhaad day tai man ko maan.

O Servant Nanak, this is the way to live in the world.

naanak jan ih bakhaan jag meh biraaj ray.

Edited by Sat1176

kabeer nirgun naam na ros.
Kabeer: O worthless mortal, do not lose the Naam, the Name of the Lord.

is parchaa-ay parach rahu ays.
Keep this mind of yours involved in this involvement.

ਧਾਵਤ ਮਨੁ ਰਾਖੈ ਇਕ ਠਾਇ ॥

Dhaavat man raakhai ik thaa-ay.
Keep your wandering mind restrained in one place.
ਮਨੁ ਤਨੁ ਸੁਧੁ ਜਪਤ ਹਿਰ ਨਾਇ ॥
man tan suDh japat har naa-ay.
Your mind and body shall become pure, chanting the Lord's Name.

Shalok, Fourth Mehl:
mai man tan khoj khojaydi-aa so parabh laDhaa lorh.
Searching and examining my mind and body, I have found that God, whom I longed for.

visat guroo mai paa-i-aa jin har parabh ditaa jorh.
I have found the Guru, the Divine Intermediary, who has united me with the Lord God.

Aasaa, Sixth House, First Mehl:
man motee jay gahnaa hovai pa-un hovai soot Dhaaree.
If the pearl of the mind is strung like a jewel on the thread of the breath,
khimaa seegaar kaaman tan pahirai raavai laal pi-aaree.
and the soul-bride adorns her body with compassion, then the Beloved Lord will enjoy His lovely bride.

man tan antar tujhai Dhi-aa-eeN.
Deep within my mind and body, I meditate on You.

Edited by Sat1176

Sitting here at work just focusing on slow nasal breathing and notice that both nostrils have opened up. Sushmana is active!The breathing feels so smooth and calming. It feels like such a natural time to just close my eyes and do gurmantar jaap, infact my eyes want to close by themselves. The breath seems to be going in very deep into both lungs and the feeling is very tranquil and cooling without any jerks. Its a damn shame I'm at work at this moment in time.

It is a beautiful sensation!!

For the past couple of days the air is flowing through both my nostrils much more frequently and for longer periods of time. It is a very cold sensation and you can literally feel the air passing up through the nostrils and between the eyes and up between the eyebrows and into the forehead. When I close my eyes to do simran it does feel as if I'm able to jap from deeper within my own consciousness. But the cooling sensation felt at the trikuti region is quite distracting at the moment. I find my dhyaan constantly shifting to this location rather than being able to focus on the jap within. When I just relax I can feel a pulling sensation. Very strange in deed.

Some random search quotes:

ਸੇਜ ਸੁਖਾਲੀ ਸੀਤਲੁ ਪਵਣਾ ਸਹਜ ਕੇਲ ਰੰਗ ਕਰਣਾ ਜੀਉ ॥੩॥

ਛਾਤੀ ਸੀਤਲ ਮਨੁ ਸੁਖੀ ਛੰਤ ਗੋਬਿਦ ਗੁਨ ਗਾਇ ॥

ਮੁਦ੍ਰਾ ਮਦਕ ਸਹਜ ਧੁਨਿ ਲਾਗੀ ਸੁਖਮਨ ਪੋਚਨਹਾਰੀ ਰੇ ॥੨॥

Muḏrā maḏak sahj ḏẖun lāgī sukẖman pocẖanhārī re. ||2||
My mudra - my hand-gesture, is the pipe; tuning into the celestial sound current within, the Shushmanaa - the central spinal channel, is
my cooling pad. ||2||

Edited by Ragmaala

Some random search quotes:

ਸੇਜ ਸੁਖਾਲੀ ਸੀਤਲੁ ਪਵਣਾ ਸਹਜ ਕੇਲ ਰੰਗ ਕਰਣਾ ਜੀਉ ॥੩॥

sayj sukhaalee seetal pavnaa sahj kayl rang karnaa jee-o. ||3||

cozy beds, cooling breezes, peaceful joy and the experience of pleasure. ||3||

ਛਾਤੀ ਸੀਤਲ ਮਨੁ ਸੁਖੀ ਛੰਤ ਗੋਬਿਦ ਗੁਨ ਗਾਇ ॥

chhaatee seetal man sukhee chhant gobid gun gaa-ay.

The heart is cooled and soothed, and the mind is at peace, chanting and singing the Glorious Praises of the Lord of the Universe.

ਭਵਨ ਚਤੁਰ ਦਸ ਭਾਠੀ ਕੀਨੀ ਬਰ੍ਹਮ ਅਗਿਨ ਤਿਨ ਜਾਰੀ ਰੇ ॥

bhavan chatur das bhaathee keenHee barahm agan tan jaaree ray.

I have made the fourteen worlds the furnace, and I have burnt my body with the fire of God.

The line before might be translated wrong because the manipur chakra is said to have 10 petals.

"Bhatee" means Bellows - 1.a device with an air bag that emits a stream of air when squeezed together.

2. an object or device with concertinaed sides to allow it to expand and contract, such as a tube joining a lens to a camera body.

Therefore I'm concluding slight pump of the navel is said to invoke Barahm agan.

bhavan chatur das bhaathee keenHee barahm agan tan jaaree ray.

furnace 4 10 bellows action god fire body burned

Chatur could also be a pointer to lower mooladhar chakar which is said to have 4 petals.

ਮੁਦ੍ਰਾ ਮਦਕ ਸਹਜ ਧੁਨਿ ਲਾਗੀ ਸੁਖਮਨ ਪੋਚਨਹਾਰੀ ਰੇ ॥੨॥

Muḏrā maḏak sahj ḏẖun lāgī sukẖman pocẖanhārī re. ||2||

My mudra - my hand-gesture, is the pipe; tuning into the celestial sound current within, the Shushmanaa - the central spinal channel, is my cooling pad. ||2||

Sorry my gurmukhi is terrible. Had to look the quotes up. I actually read somewhere the trikuti area is known as the spiritual heart centre.

Only thing missing now is the sahj dhun!

Edited by Sat1176

For the past couple of days the air is flowing through both my nostrils much more frequently and for longer periods of time. It is a very cold sensation and you can literally feel the air passing up through the nostrils and between the eyes and up between the eyebrows and into the forehead. When I close my eyes to do simran it does feel as if I'm able to jap from deeper within my own consciousness.

:) Yep, I know what you're saying .....

Do you also find that the naad sounds deeper and louder ?