Meditation - My Experiance, Am I Allowed To Share?

Jaikaara it may mean that your Dhyan has become very sharp, when you become very focused your Third-Eye Chakra activates. It may also activate when you are receiving wisdom and insight into the nature of Maya or when you dissociate from the qualities of Maya, and your attention goes inward towards the Atma. So sharp Dhyan, and/or Gyan of Maya and Atma might trigger that sensation.

So as I am sitting here telling you this, I can feel it as well. It's because I am talking about the things that activate the chakra. And if you are reading about this and pay attention to that region in your head, you may also feel it activate.

Sat

Yeah that sounds about right.

Jaikaara,

Maybe your encountering the knot at the tarikutee as explained in the last line so pressure is building up.

Ang 1123, Kabir

My mind is the bull, and meditation is the road; I have filled my packs with spiritual wisdom, and loaded them on the bull.

man kar bail surat kar paidaa gi-aan gon bhar daaree.

Says Kabeer, listen, O Saints: my merchandise has reached its destination!

kahat kabeer sunhu ray santahu nibhee khayp hamaaree.

You barbaric brute, with your primitive intellect - reverse your breath and turn it inward.

ree kalvaar gavaar moodh mat ulto pavan firaava-o.

Let your mind be intoxicated with the stream of Ambrosial Nectar which trickles down from the furnace of the Tenth Gate.

man matvaar mayr sar bhaathee amrit Dhaar chu-aava-o.

O Siblings of Destiny, call on the Lord.

bolhu bha-ee-aa raam kee duhaa-ee.

O Saints, drink in this wine forever; it is so difficult to obtain, and it quenches your thirst so easily. Pause

peevhu sant sadaa mat durlabh sehjay pi-aas bujhaa-ee. rahaa-o.

As many hearts as there are - in all of them, is His Ambrosial Nectar; as He pleases, He causes them to drink it in.

jaytay ghat amrit sabh hee meh bhaavai tiseh pee-aa-ee.

There are nine gates to the one city of the body; restrain your mind from escaping through them.

nagree aykai na-o darvaajay Dhaavat baraj rahaa-ee.

When the knot of the tarikutee is untied, then the Tenth Gate opens up, and the mind is intoxicated, O Siblings of Destiny.

tarikutee chhootai dasvaa dar khoolHai taa man kheevaa bhaa-ee.

Edited by Sat1176

That's fine. But what I meant is that it quite common for people to experience pain in that region which is not supposed to be the case. Either the individual is trying to solely focus on this area and straining too much causing pressure at that point or as previously stated it is said that there is a knot at that point which needs to be untied before one progresses further. I haven't mastered this yet so can't comment too much but I believe its something along the lines of balancing the air flow through both nostrils to transcend the trikuti. When this happens naturally in it's own time through saas saas simran the air flow will automatically balance out and at that time you will be breathing through both nostrils at the same time which is not common. Normally one nostril is dominant at any given time. When this happens there should be no pressure at that point and the mind will be still. To cross the trikuti one's conscientiousness must take the aid of the shabad that manifests here. Focusing your mind on the shabad I'm guessing here will lead you to cross the trikuti, which is not going to be easy as it will present it's own set of challenges. You won't be able to cross if your mind is active in thoughts.

There might be numerous ways to progress because even I have heard some sant's state, say waheguru and put your dhyaan on the trikuti. Even to the extent of try and look upwards. I think N3O posted a video of Sant Ranjit Singh Ji explaining this method. Each person has their own way, but from what I have learned one should not focus on this location until one hears the shabad. I am sure I read this in Discourses on the Beyond as instructed by Sant Baba Isher Singh (Rare wale). Will try and put it up. It was only a couple of days ago Sant Ranjit Singh ji did a kirtan programme here in the UK where he also stated just focus on the sound of the gurmantar, nothing else. Just made me smile when I heard this.

I avoid putting my dhyaan on the trikuti but on the sound of the gurmantar which is primarily in front of my mouth when reciting verbally. When japping mentally then on the ears. In my case the shabads appear to be manifesting more on the right side than in the center. Occasionally on the left. I'm expecting something along the lines of first one ear, then both ears, then trikuti. I await that day, then we shall see... So far this method seems to be leading to progress so I plan to stick with it.

Edited by Sat1176

Sat

The pressure isn't because of a "knot". The knot is just a metaphor for saying that higher wisdom is not yet available to the individual. The pressure arises because there is a chakra there, and when it activates it has carries certain sensations with it.

Focusing your mind on the shabad I'm guessing here will lead you to cross the trikuti

Yes and it will activate the trikuti as the energy rises above it.

You are right that someone who has decided to follow the Bhagti Marg need not concern themselves with these things (they may if they want to but its not necessary). They only need to concern themselves with Waheguru and loving him. He loves to hear His name, that's why you should say His name. When you begin to love hearing His name deeply, then that's how you know that your Bhagti is going well.

Edited by BhagatSingh

Spiritual Experience of Naam Simran

Tarlochan Singh Mann*

*3 New York Avenue, Stonybrook. N.Y. 11790. U.S.A. This is based on Bandgi-nama by Raghbir Singh Bir.

Recitation of Gurbani and meditation or Simran are complementary to each other. While Gurbani brings us closer to an understanding of God’s purpose, Simran truly unites us with the divine.

Recitation from Guru Granth and repetition of a particular verse roots its sense in our mind in order that the mind is moulded accordingly. Naam - Simran increases concentration and raises levels of consciousness to higher level and unites us with the wonderful Lord, Waheguru.

Philosophy of Simran: As soon as the name of any object is mentioned, its form, nature, attributes, and our re-action to it, rush into our mind, and we visualize the image of the object as picturised and projected. Similarly when we repeat God’s Name our mental picture of God gets picturised before our mind’s eyes. Gur-Bani by projecting the attributes of God helps us to form some sort of mental picture of God. In Simran when we repeat God’s Name this picture grows clearer to us.

Even if we may have no mental concept of God, by mere repetition of His NAME God’s attributes are not only visualized but are also slowly assimilated. Naam-Simran is the secret of simple mindsbecoming Saints.

Peculiar quality of our mind is that if some thing impresses us profoundly and if we repeatedly aspire, by continuous Simran, to be shaped in the pattern of that thing (may be saint, God), we are gradually moulded accordingly:

Jaisa sevai taisa hovei. (SGGS)

Methodology of Simran: Significance and worth of Naam-Simran can be appreciated only by personally practicing Simran persistently, regularly, with patience and perseverance till it becomes a habit, and goes an unceasingly.

Recommendations for beginners: Choice of a secluded and fixed place and regular hours help in inculcating Simran habit. A special room, or a niche in a room, reserved for Simran is very conducive. Time - prescribed is 2.00 A.M. to 4.00 A.M. in Summer and 3.00 to 5.00 A.M. in winter. We can sleep for two hours after Simran before our daily work.

Body Pasture - We should squat cross-legged on the floor as erect as possible. The avoid fatigue a cushion may be used.

Tuning the mind - It is necessary to guard it from wandering and falling into negative thinking and making the entire Naam-Simran exercise of the day a futile venture Modus-operandi for tuning the mind recommended by the author may be followed or each individual should evolve and adopt his own personalized technique.

Three Stages of Simran: The author describes how and why he selected "Wahe-Guru" for Simran in preference to so many other names of God mentioned in Sri Guru Granth Sahib. The first stage of Simran is audible Simran. Lips more and sound is heard. We speak aloud and fix our attention on the sound produced. It is necessary to improve our concentration. If necessary beads of rosary may be used, to start with, but in no case pictures of Gurus be used to improve concentration, as it creates problems in higher spiritual stages as illustrated by our own experiences. The second stage is of mental Simran. When lips cease to move, vocal chords alone help in creating sound rhythm of Wahe-Guru Shabad. For convenience the seeker may synchronize the Simran with the rhythm of breathing, regulating the vibrations of respiration. Uttering Wah on inhaling, and uttering "Guru" on exhaling. This mental Simran focuses our attention and increase our concentration which advances spiritual development. The third stage - The Gentle sound of mental Simran picks up a higher pitch and becomes louder and louder to the exclusion of all external sounds. Mental Simran ceases and this sound seems to come down from navel and is heard from within our entire being. This concentrated Simran raises the level of consciousness and the spiritual development advances to the higher stage. The mind feels perfect peace and gets inebriated with the joy of bliss that defy description. This advanced stage of spiritual development is called stage of ‘SAHAJ’. From this last stage of Simran first stage of "GYAN’ starts and the seeker starts having a number of mystic experiences. But the seeker has to guard against the delusions of this stage viz (1) Ceasing of Simran gives the impression that it is waste of time as there is no worship of God without Simran (2) The seeker is gripped by the sleep of ease called ‘TANDRA’ and seeker is deluded to believe that he has reached the final stage of spiritual progress. This writer follows in details the methodology suggested by Late Sant Attar Singh Mastuana and Baba Nand Singh Kleran helped him to come out of first delusion regarding waste of time. Edward Carpenter’s book ‘A Visit to a Gyani’ redeemed him from the delusion of ‘TANDRA’.

The other mystic experiences this writer had are -

> Discovery of centers of consciousness within the body including cortex of the brain called ‘DASAM DWAR’.

> Seeing glimpses of sweet cool luminosity.

> Hearing melodious sounds: punch nad or Anhad nad.

> Experiencing sweet smells.

> Low gentle rhythmic sound in the brain inducing bliss and lightness of mind.

> Getting into peaceful trance/Samadhi.

> The realization that the universe is the creation of an all-pervading force beyond our comprehension.

source: http://www.sikhreview.org/july2000/naam.htm

The smells referred to here manifest when one is very close to the dasam duar (i.e. sitting at the dhar) or have entered. Once I was sitting in the gurdwara and whenever the simran would start I could smell this really strong chandan smell. When the simran would stop the smell would vanish. I looked around thinking where was this fragrance coming from? Was it being released via the AC system whenever the simran would start. Duh!!! I must have been sitting near someone with very high avasta.

Edited by Sat1176

Nahi ji, das is just an empty vessel. Simran has taken bit of a hit recently. Mrs is expecting our first child and not long to go so preparing for new arrival seems to be on my mind quite a bit. I'm drowning.... Bachavou!!!! Actually it's bothering me that I don't drown too deep in worldly attachment when he/she comes, yet the child must never know any difference and that the child should have the love of a parent regardless of what I want my inner state of mind to be. Last few months I saw myself rising above family attachment but now I see myself slowly sinking again. Who said being gristi and walking on the bhagti marg are easy. Any how there is a slight difference in my thinking, in that I don't think of myself as the creator or this child. More WaheGuru's tool and he is the one sending down another soul and everything is on autopilot. Was saying the same thing to my wife the other day. She thought I lost the plot. Would really help if we were on the same wavelength. Dhan ho those couples who walk on this path together. Much harder when one wants to walk on the spiritual path and the other is on the materialistic one.

Edited by Sat1176

Haan ji i understand what you meant by family attachment but updesh is be in the maya yet be nirlaip- gurmukh maya vich udasi. It's possible but it takes lot of practice to be in center (regardless whatever you are doing/whatever situation might be), center which is vahiguroo shabad/supreme consciousness its like a sky (where clouds appear disappears as nature take its course)/ ocean where there are waves/ripples appear disappear naturally but ocean nor the sky is too concerned whats happening in it or outer layer both sky/ocean stays mast in its own ~ Sat Chit Anand Saroop ~

I think to perceive the eternal truth that everyone one of us, our real source is shabad/vahiguroo helps quite a bit to be nirlaip in maya, One of effective way is to live, breath and perceive our real self which is shabad and its gyan.
As sant mani singh and many of saints said in order to expereince god one of way is to live god/vahiguroo/gyan- you are that shabad.
The only way to receive God is to drop all your searching and seeking. The real question is recognition, not search, and the only way to know God is to live God.”

Speaking of attachment to maya I'll share a short incident that made me laugh and on the other hand really made me wonder what people really wish for in life.

My wife and I went out for the day to Canterbury where they have a famous cathedral. We both went in looking at the grandeur of the building. I have to admit churches have the most eeriest feelings and smell that bring a sense of death the moment you enter them. Especially the more older ones. Inside they had this table where people write their prayers on post it notes and leave them and at a given time the priest collects them all and puts them on some alter/pillar which must carry some religious significance for them. So I started to read some of these prayers and most were asking for something but along the lines off: Dear God, show me the right path for I am terribly lost. Please fix so and so problem. Please take me into your sanctuary etc.

My wife picks up a post it note and starts to write. At first I'm really annoyed she did it then even more annoyed when I read what her prayer actually was.

Dear God, Can I please win the 20 million lottery tomorrow. Signed XYZ

I rubbed my hand on my forehead and said, "You can't be serious, O tera bhalla hovey!!!!"

Chalo hang in there bro- its all karma exchange nothing less and nothing more- hopefully she will hear/feel shabad resonance/energy through you- get on the path on her own will , on her own pace on her own accord,so let it be. I used to feel frustrated on my end too but i figured recently though we should do our part which is parchar but with duty of an house holder not out of expectation no one can change no one - Your own Self-realization is the greatest service you can render the world. Rest leave it up to vahiguroo:

Aakhan jor, Chupai neh jor,
Jor na mangan dayn na jor
Jor na jeevan maran neh jor
Jor na raaj maal man sor
Jor na surtee giaan vechaar
Jor na jugatee chutai sansaar
Jis hath jor kar vekhai so-i
Nanak utam neech na koi
No power to speak, no power to keep silent.
No power to beg, no power to give.
No power to live, no power to die.
No power to rule, with wealth and occult mental powers.
No power to gain intuitive understanding, to contemplate spiritual wisdom.
No power to find the way to escape from the world.
He alone has the Power in his hands, he watches over all.
O Nanak, no one is high or low.

I think to perceive the eternal truth that everyone one of us, our real source is shabad/vahiguroo helps quite a bit to be nirlaip in maya, One of effective way is to live, breath and perceive our real self which is shabad and its gyan.
As sant mani singh and many of saints said in order to expereince god one of way is to live god/vahiguroo/gyan- you are that shabad.

There might be some truth in that ji, but I also heard one mahapursh say we can't simply start saying I am that One either and job done because we haven't yet experienced that divinity within us. It's like saying give me the PHD certificate without doing any of the practical work. To get to that stage of Sohang takes a lot of bhagti and inward searching of the true self. No shortcuts allowed. lol

Edited by Sat1176

Well you are not simply saying that but truthfully and with bibek buddhi you going through layers within you to go back to your home or actual you or actual nature of you- Vahiguroo, stick to vahiguroo shabad no need for sohang actually just perception have to change thats all thats the main thing- our jot saroop is our real home... rest are all tendencies/illusion which are super imposed on you- truth is already here and now- choice/free will intertwined with hakum is already there.

Chalo hang in there bro- its all karma exchange nothing less and nothing more- hopefully she will hear/feel shabad resonance/energy through you- get on the path on her own will , on her own pace on her own accord,so let it be. I used to feel frustrated on my end too but i figured recently though we should do our part which is parchar but with duty of an house holder not out of expectation no one can change no one - Your own Self-realization is the greatest service you can render the world. Rest leave it up to vahiguroo:

Aakhan jor, Chupai neh jor,
Jor na mangan dayn na jor
Jor na jeevan maran neh jor
Jor na raaj maal man sor
Jor na surtee giaan vechaar
Jor na jugatee chutai sansaar
Jis hath jor kar vekhai so-i
Nanak utam neech na koi
No power to speak, no power to keep silent.
No power to beg, no power to give.
No power to live, no power to die.
No power to rule, with wealth and occult mental powers.
No power to gain intuitive understanding, to contemplate spiritual wisdom.
No power to find the way to escape from the world.
He alone has the Power in his hands, he watches over all.
O Nanak, no one is high or low.

So true. I recently heard something that struck a cord in me.

"Remember one thing when you walk on this path. You came alone and are going alone. First get there yourself then worry about others once you have made it.... The excuse at the end that I was busy helping others so couldn't make it myself will not be good enough. Back you go into joons..."

One can see both positives and negatives in such strong statements and some will see it as being selfish and self centered. I suppose a time comes on this marg when one has to let go of others and focus on one's own jeevan.The breaths are running out and we don't know when our own calling will come.

Edited by Sat1176

At first I'm really annoyed she did it then even more annoyed when I read what her prayer actually was. Dear God, Can I please win the 20 million lottery tomorrow. Signed XYZ

Lol

Imagine if you guys actually win it. You'd have more time to do simran! It seems that your wife being materialistic and all, is actually pushing you further and further towards spirituality. And I think you might come to see it as a blessing later.

I have to admit churches have the most eeriest feelings and smell that bring a sense of death the moment you enter them.

Now I want to go see one! :)

Lol

Imagine if you guys actually win it. You'd have more time to do simran! It seems that your wife being materialistic and all, is actually pushing you further and further towards spirituality. And I think you might come to see it as a blessing later.

Now I want to go see one! :)

Maybe if she had actually bought a ticket. Well at least the priest must have had a good laugh. :D

Your right about her being different which is indeed at times pushing me more further along. I already look at some of the steps I have had to take in my own life as positive even though in some ways they might be considered negative to others.

A mahapursh once told her your husband needs to learn to break free for him to get ahead in this life. I was really annoyed when I heard this at the time because I took it in another context of the situation at the time. Now when I look back I understand the past couple of years have given me the space to focus on myself and as a result some how I have been put on a path of naam simran. May it reach it's true conclusion.....

Quite a few years before this I had darshan of another mahapursh from hazoor sahib when I was going through some difficult times. At the time he was building some rooms for sangat to stay in the sachkhand sri hazoor sahib complex. They had exclusive access to central chamber where Guru ji's shastars are placed. I understand not everyone can go into that sachkhand. He said to me if you do seva of one the rooms helping guru's sangat, he would go into that sachkhand and do ardas that guru ji help settle your own house. I helped with the seva as requested and the mahapursh asked what ardas should I write down for you. He began to write down the original ardas but I made him cross it out and said I don't want you to do that one, I want you to do ardas that guru ji blesses me with naam. The mahapursh smiled and crossed it all out and said whether guru ji gives you the other now or not doesn't matter for we shall now ask for naam alone.

Shortly after I started to become more and more interested in naam simran. Reading books by mahapursh, forums and asking local mahapursh for guidance. So here I am today slowly trying to walk on the path with the WaheGuru gurmantar and Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji, his sant's and sat sangat as my guide.

Edited by Sat1176