Meditation - My Experiance, Am I Allowed To Share?

After reading around the subject it is always nice to come back to gurbani and read again. Sometimes a subtle pangti sticks out that you didn't appreciate before.

Ang 313

While asleep, they chant, "Waaho! Waaho!", and while awake, they chant, "Waaho!" as well. (Isn't this an hint to learn to take the consciousness through waking, dreaming and deep sleep states, i.e. learn to stay conscious in sleep by attuning oneself to the shabad or what I now understand to be the state of yogic sleep; body asleep but mind is awake and aware)

sa-uday vaahu vaahu uchrahi uth-day bhee vaahu karayn.

My tongue is not satisfied by praising Him; He has linked my consciousness with the Lord, my Beloved.

jihvaa saalaahi na raj-ee har pareetam chit laa-ay.

O Nanak, my mind hungers for the Name of the Lord; my mind is satisfied, tasting the sublime essence of the Lord.

naanak naavai kee man bhukh hai man tariptai har ras khaa-ay.

The Gurmukhs chant and meditate on the Shabad, and lovingly center their consciousness on it.

gurmukh jaapai sabad liv laa-ay.

They hear and believe in the Name of the Lord; they are absorbed in the Name of the Lord.

har naam sun mannay har naam samaa-ay.

He is always invited, but he does not go to the Mansion of the Lord`s Presence. How shall he be accepted in the Court of the Lord? (What is the signature of the invitation and how does one go inside?)

sadaa bulaa-ee-ai mahal na aavai ki-o kar dargeh seejhai.

How rare are those who know the Mansion of the True Guru; they stand with their palms pressed together.

satgur kaa mahal virlaa jaanai sadaa rahai kar jorh.

veerji just asking which app do u use for gurbani tuks?

Had a very strange experience last night as I sat down doing my jaap aloud. I was focusing on the sound but after a while, I think it was about 30 mins, I started feeling as if my consciousness was being pulled inward towards the centre my head and I struggled to keep a lock on the sound of my own voice. The jaap began to drawn out but know I was chanting at the same volume. It was like drowning in one's own mind where you trying to swim to the surface of awareness. Not sure how else to describe it.

Still trying to master the first step.

Ang 322

Those who chant the Lord`s Name with their tongues and hear it with their ears are saved, O my friend.

rasnaa uchrai har sarvanee sunai so uDhrai mitaa.

If the beggar begs for the Lord`s Name every day, his Lord and Master will grant his request.

jaachik mangai nit naam saahib karay kabool.

Edited by Sat1176

Had a very strange experience last night as I sat down doing my jaap aloud. I was focusing on the sound but after a while, I think it was about 30 mins, I started feeling as if my consciousness was being pulled inward towards the centre my head and I struggled to keep a lock on the sound of my own voice. The jaap began to drawn out but know I was chanting at the same volume. It was like drowning in one's own mind where you trying to swim to the surface of awareness. Not sure how else to describe it.

Still trying to master the first step.

Ang 322

Those who chant the Lord`s Name with their tongues and hear it with their ears are saved, O my friend.

rasnaa uchrai har sarvanee sunai so uDhrai mitaa.

If the beggar begs for the Lord`s Name every day, his Lord and Master will grant his request.

jaachik mangai nit naam saahib karay kabool.

Whenever I read your posts, it gives me a boost.

Waaaa He Gu Rooooooooooooo !

Yesterday as I was listening to kirtan very intently my mind sort of went blank the only thing that was in my mind was the kirtan everything else was dead it only lasted less than 5 seconds but felt very good there was also a warmth in my chest area as this was going on. Was there any spiritual significance behind this or do you guys think it was only my brain playing tricks on me has this happened to any of you?

Yesterday as I was listening to kirtan very intently my mind sort of went blank the only thing that was in my mind was the kirtan everything else was dead it only lasted less than 5 seconds but felt very good there was also a warmth in my chest area as this was going on. Was there any spiritual significance behind this or do you guys think it was only my brain playing tricks on me has this happened to any of you?

This might be what in spirtual books is called the state of Sahaj. This is what is suppose to happen when are thoughts stop bothering us. When we do Simran, we focus on the Gurmantar only after sometime going into that state becomes easy, because thoughts are creating all the noise in the mind. When the thoughts stop the mind is in a state of peace.

This state will help you to advance in Bhagti even more because focusing on the Gurmanter will become easy.

I dont know if this is what you experienced but maybe will give you an idea.

Post has been corrected.

Edited by namdhari555

We have heard, seen quite a few Mahapurkhs live or even on the webs, on how to meditate, or on what to meditate...

Let us also see what our beloved Sachay Patshah Sree Guru Ram Das, has to tell us on this matter.

In the following line, He tells us, that the whole world meditates in one way or the other for different purposes, but he alone meditates on the Nam, if one is so graced by Him, because he alone crosses Bhavsagar, whom He wishes so...

ਜੇ ਵਡ ਭਾਗ ਹੋਵਹਿ ਵਡਭਾਗੀ ਤਾ ਹਰਿ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਧਿਆਵੈ

Jae Vadd Bhaag Hovehi, Vaddabhaagee Thaa Har Har Naam Dhhiaavai

जे वड भाग होवहि वडभागी ता हरि हरि नामु धिआवै

If someone is very fortunate, and is blessed with great high destiny, then he meditates on the Name of the Lord, Har, Har.

And in this following line, He is telling us, that if you meditate on the Nam, you shall find eternal peace, joy and bliss, because the result of meditating on Nam, is that you shall merge in it.

ਨਾਮੁ ਜਪਤ ਨਾਮੇ ਸੁਖੁ ਪਾਵੈ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮੇ ਨਾਮਿ ਸਮਾਵੈ

Naam Japath Naamae Sukh Paavai, Har Naamae Naam Samaavai

नामु जपत नामे सुखु पावै हरि नामे नामि समावै

Chanting the Naam, the Name of the Lord, he finds peace, and merges in the Naam.

This is no fantasy, many may wonder why so much of Nam is mentioned at all times, why so much stress on it ?

That is, because we are sikhs of true Gurmukhs, who come for the only purpose of our union, with our True Father Wahiguru Akal Purukh, and that per the Bani, is only possible by meditating on the Nam, which they declare as the only reality throughout all the yugas.

As they have said:

ਸਭ ਜੁਗ ਮਹਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਊਤਮੁ ਹੋਈ

Sabh Jug Mehi Naam Ootham Hoee

सभ जुग महि नामु ऊतमु होई

Throughout all the ages, the Naam is the ultimate, the most sublime.

Our destiny is somehow in our hands, it is up to us to follow Gurmat and get freed from this mayavee creation, or remain entangled with the affairs of this world like jaat, paat, dharam, mazab...etc.

The path of Gurmat is of devotion, and to be a devtotee of Akal Purukh, also has to be learnt from our Guru Sahibans.

They clearly tell us:

ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਧਿਆਏ ਭਗਤੁ ਜਨੁ ਸੋਈ

Har Naam Dhhiaaeae, Bhagath Jan Soee

हरि नामु धिआए भगतु जनु सोई

They who meditate on the Lord's Nam, they alone are His devotees.

Waheguru, kaun jaane guna tere..... Ooch Apaar Beant Soami.

Now, couple of days back, same channled source indicated that ALL the states goes throught the Kaal's play and I should NOT have stopped enjoying that state. So, I just hope that it will start again. So, at this point of time my understanding is that if one wants to move further then keep in mind the 3 following things:

1. Enjoy the current state and don't feel sad as this is not coming from your Guru and just coming from Kaal. Do NOT stop enjoying whatever comes your way.

2. As Maha Singh mentioned that don't always stay at one state and remember that you HAVE to move forward.

3. GURU is must; otherwise who will put us to next level? So, without Guru reaching higher AND correct states WITHOUT taking wrong route is not possible at all.

das

Just added the 3rd point.

• 2 weeks later...

Some questions have been arised in this thread as well as on other, on meditation, on the Shabad Dhun, the Sounds one hears..if to listen those from the right, left or center...and so on.....

In the above post Veer Sat Jee, has beautifully expressed in a simple manner, the result of catching hold of the right Sounds, which then take us back to our Nijh Ghar, Sach Khand.

In the Granth Sahib, in Raag Ramkali, Bani of Sree Kabir Sahib Jee Maharaj, tells us in the following lines, how to listen that Sound, from where to listen to it..and what happens if you attach yourself to that Sound:

ਸੁਖਮਨ ਨਾਰੀ ਸਹਜ ਸਮਾਨੀ ਪੀਵੈ ਪੀਵਨਹਾਰਾ

Sukhaman Naaree Sehaj Samaanee Peevai Peevanehaaraa

सुखमन नारी सहज समानी पीवै पीवनहारा

The Shushmanaa, the central spinal channel, is intuitively balanced, and the drinker drinks in this wine.

He says: the Sound which is to be heard, is the one which is heard from the center of your forehead, between the two eyes, because that one is the Amrit, which the sikh, the disciple, is eager to find and have it.

Worldly wine makes one person loose all it balance, and makes him like a wild mad elephant ....that is worldy wine or liquor.

But when one drinks this Wine or Amrit of Nam, of Shabad, the mind is vanquished, and the soul regains its freedom, to go back and merge in Him.

Further on He says:

ਉਨਮਦ ਚਢਾ ਮਦਨ ਰਸੁ ਚਾਖਿਆ ਤ੍ਰਿਭਵਨ ਭਇਆ ਉਜਿਆਰਾ

Ounamadh Chadtaa Madhan Ras Chaakhiaa Thribhavan Bhaeiaa Oujiaaraa

उनमद चढा मदन रसु चाखिआ त्रिभवन भइआ उजिआरा

When that wine rises up, one tastes the sublime essence of this juice, and sees across the three worlds.

He means that, when one drinks that Nectar of Nam, one tastes the essence of that Nam, and the effect of that drinking Amrit, in this case listening, to that melodious Shabad ringing within us, one´s consciousness is wiped away from all impurities, thus we get the power from that Nam, to cross all the three planes, namely the physical, the astral, and the causal....then only one crosses Brahm, and reaches Paarbraham. After that, though the path is a highway to Sach Khand, but still then, one has to remain seated in the Jahaaz of Nam, in order to reach our true Home, Sach Khand.

So we can clearly see, that the way to reach Sach Khand, right from the begining, is holding on to the Shabad, the Nam, which is ringing within us all the times nonstop, and the method to catch that Shabad is through Nam Simran.

That is why all our Guru Sahibans, Gurmukhs, stress so much on Nam Bhakti, because it is the only weapon to kill the mind and defeat Kal.

One more thing we learn from Kabeer Sahib´s Bani today, is that, the sounds to be paid attention which pull us upwards, are the ones which start from the third eye level and above, but not like those by yogic practices which instead of taking us upwards, bring us downwards, towards throat center, heart center, navel center and the still belower, the ganesh center... our goal is upwards, towards the region of eternity(Sach Khand), not the lower stages or chakras ...which are very much in the realms of being part and parcel of transitory, and thus perishable creation.

This is the difference between the yogas and Gurmat...while one releases the shakti within us and keep us bound in the creation by pulling our attention to the lower centers; Gurmat, opens the real power within us, the power of Nam, the Shabad, which gradually frees us from the creation, by cutting all our bondages, and thus making us worthy of merging and becoming one with Wahiguru.

The path of Gurmat is unique and superior to all others from any angle, from any point of view. All other paths are, made by the negative power, to keep the soluls entangled in the creation, by creating the impressions, that those sounds and results, are similar to those who walk on Gurmat, he cheats the souls .... there are countless universes and creations within us, so if proper guidance is not there, we may just wander aimlessly and miss our goal

But the purpose of Gurmukhs is always inwards and upwards... so it is always better and safer to take guidance with Gurmat.

Bahut Janam vichurethe Madho, ehe janam tumare lekhey...

Edited by harsharan000

On 2/7/2014 at 3:59 PM, harsharan000 said:

One more thing we learn from Kabeer Sahib´s Bani today, is that, the sounds to be paid attention which pull us upwards, are the ones which start from the third eye level and above, but not like those by yogic practices which instead of taking us upwards, bring us downwards, towards throat center, heart center, navel center and the still belower, the ganesh center... our goal is upwards, towards the region of eternity(Sach Khand), not the lower stages or chakras ...which are very much in the realms of being part and parcel of transitory, and thus perishable creation.

This is the difference between the yogas and Gurmat...while one releases the shakti within us and keep us bound in the creation by pulling our attention to the lower centers; Gurmat, opens the real power within us, the power of Nam, the Shabad, which gradually frees us from the creation, by cutting all our bondages, and thus making us worthy of merging and becoming one with Wahiguru.

The path of Gurmat is unique and superior to all others from any angle, from any point of view. All other paths are, made by the negative power, to keep the soluls entangled in the creation, by creating the impressions, that those sounds and results, are similar to those who walk on Gurmat, he cheats the souls .... there are countless universes and creations within us, so if proper guidance is not there, we may just wander aimlessly and miss our goal

But the purpose of Gurmukhs is always inwards and upwards... so it is always better and safer to take guidance with Gurmat.

I totally agree about staying within our gurmat guidelines and being careful not to stray.

There were in the past many yogis that saw yoga as more of a Physical system of suppression/manouvres with a Spiritual component. Whereas, nowadays it is much more of a Spiritual system with a Physical component.

As some of you may be aware, I have been practicing kundalini yoga for nearly a year now. I am NOT trying to sell this science to anyone, but it has definitely had a positive impact on me. :D

I find that it is an art of extending spiritual devotion into physical discipline. Done properly, it clears the mind, heightens awareness, strengthen the spine and body, teaches stamina and endurance, and Yes, it can give a feeling of Transcendent joy and spiritual ecstasy that I can't describe in words. :blush:

On the 2 nights that I come back from classes, I always have the most intense and positively deeper simran sessions where i feel a closer connection.

It's most likely because the 90 minute classes leave me with a very positive, vibrating and stronger aura that also helps enhance my own inner heights.

I can only say that the yoga, kriyas and meditation combinations we do in class, all contribute to these very rewarding factors. B):P

Like I said, I am not a salesman trying to sell this science to any of you, but rather encouraging us to be willing to contemplate higher ways of doing things without dismissing them out of hand because of preconceived notions that may not be true.

We know blind faith and empty practices are not gurmat but we have this habit of carrying these same ideas into any other associated practices. :ph34r:

In the midst of our everyday lives, we are busy with work,family,kids...etc.. and some of us find it difficult to combine spiritual gurmat devotion with other functions in day to day life.

In this worldly setting, I find that we all have plenty of room and time for more holiness and reaching higher heights, so I don't find anything manmat about doing a physical activity for general wellbeing that can leave me feeing much more elevated on a sacred scale.

We are repeatedly reminded that we should try and keep the company of the sadh sangat in day to day settings.

This 'sadh sangat' doesn't necessarily mean the company of the holy or the sangat in guru ghar. For me, it's the company of those who can help inspire to enhance our own inner development. OR quite simply, the people that can help bring out the best in yourself!

Personally, my kundlaini yoga sessions are just one of my role players of sangat that help my own development and I only desire to continue pursuing them.

Edited by Lucky

Singh,

My son has been born with a very rare condition and the only medical cure is a liver transplant when he is older. Until such a time he will have to under go daily medical therapy. He was only discharged from hospital a few days ago because there is nothing more they can do for the time being. Hoping for a miracle but also learning to accept the divine will..

Thanks for asking.

Apparently the condition is so rare that Queen Elizabeth has been told about it and rumour has it she wants to meet him. lol

So we may be invited to Buckingham Palace for cha and cucumber sandwiches. :D

Lol

Your son and Kate middlton's son can be best pals :P

How old does your son have to be to get a kidney transplant?