Meditation - My Experiance, Am I Allowed To Share?

Has anyone come across a proper 'list' of what happens on the journey of meditation? I believe it must be different for everyone according to their past lives etc. but has any mahapurakh clarified about this?

(Also, I don't mean 'Naam di Avastha' as Baba Hari Singh Randhawe wale have explained...but actually about what happens...as in what one begins to see and hear.)

Edited by Raaj.Karega.Khalsa

Found the following shabad by Sri Guru Amar Das Ji quite inspiring on ang 425 as I progress with my reading of SGGS.

aasaa mehalaa 3 ||

Aasaa, Third Mehla:

sun man ma(n)n vasaae thoo(n) aapae aae milai maerae bhaaee ||

Listen, O mortal: enshrine His Name within your mind; He shall come to meet with you, O my Sibling of Destiny.

anadhin sachee bhagath kar sachai chith laaee ||1||

Night and day, center your consciousness on true devotional worship of the True Lord. ||1||

eaeko naam dhhiaae thoo(n) sukh paavehi maerae bhaaee ||

Meditate on the One Naam, and you shall find peace, O my Siblings of Destiny.

houmai dhoojaa dhoor kar vaddee vaddiaaee ||1|| rehaao ||

Eradicate egotism and duality (everything is Waheguru, there is no other than him), and your glory shall be glorious. ||1||Pause||

eis bhagathee no sur nar mun jan lochadhae vin sathigur paaee n jaae ||

The angels, humans and silent sages long for this devotional worship, but without the True Guru, it cannot be attained.

pa(n)ddith parradhae jothikee thin boojh n paae ||2||

The Pandits, the religious scholars, and the astrologers read their books, but they do not understand. ||2||

aapai thhai sabh rakhioun kishh kehan n jaaee ||

He Himself keeps all in His Hand; nothing else can be said.

aapae dhaee s paaeeai gur boojh bujhaaee ||3||

Whatever He gives, is received. The Guru has imparted this understanding to me. ||3||

jeea ja(n)th sabh this dhae sabhanaa kaa soee ||

All beings and creatures are His; He belongs to all.

ma(n)dhaa kis no aakheeai jae dhoojaa hoee ||4||

So who can we call bad, since there is no other? (Think we should all remember this one)

eiko hukam varathadhaa eaekaa sir kaaraa ||

The Command of the One Lord is pervading throughout; duty to the One Lord is upon the heads of all.

aap bhavaalee dhitheean a(n)thar lobh vikaaraa ||5||

He Himself has led them astray, and placed greed and corruption within their hearts. ||5||

eik aapae guramukh keethian boojhan veechaaraa ||

He has sanctified those few Gurmukhs who understand Him, and reflect upon Him.

bhagath bhee ounaa no bakhaseean a(n)thar bha(n)ddaaraa ||6||

He grants devotional worship to them, and within them is the treasure. ||6||

giaaneeaa no sabh sach hai sach sojhee hoee ||

The spiritual teachers know nothing but the Truth; they obtain true understanding.

oue bhulaaeae kisai dhae n bhulanhee sach jaanan soee ||7||

They are led astray by Him, but they do not go astray, because they know the True Lord. ||7||

ghar mehi pa(n)ch varathadhae pa(n)chae veechaaree ||

Within the homes of their bodies, the five passions are pervading, but here, the five are well-behaved.

naanak bin sathigur vas n aavanhee naam houmai maaree ||8||5||27||

O Nanak, without the True Guru, they are not overcome; through the Naam, the ego is conquered. ||8||5||27||

Edited by Sat1176

Has anyone come across a proper 'list' of what happens on the journey of meditation? I believe it must be different for everyone according to their past lives etc. but has any mahapurakh clarified about this?

(Also, I don't mean 'Naam di Avastha' as Baba Hari Singh Randhawe wale have explained...but actually about what happens...as in what one begins to see and hear.)

There is a little bit explained in Discources on the Beyond books written by Sant Waryam Singh. But it consists more of instructions of how to progress... I have heard that nothing beats having the sangat of someone who has actually gone through the stages because there will be many hurdles along the way and Maya will try its absolute best to hold you back or distract you on your path. For example when you start seeing lights of the different chakras/taats poeple can get lost by just looking at them thinking they made it. I don't even have the answer because I haven't seen any lights yet. I think you need to remain focused on the dhun because shabad is higher than taats/colours. Any kind of vision is considered maya and to be ignored. But to contradict that how will one know when Waheguru is staring one in the face? I guess only time will tell.

May Waheguru guide us all safely to his pavitar charan...

On this marg we have to be patient and persevere on, just have faith and keep walking. Myself included.

gobi(n)dh milan kee eih thaeree bareeaa || This is your chance to meet the Lord of the Universe.

Edited by Sat1176

There is a little bit explained in Discources on the Beyond books written by Sant Waryam Singh. But it consists more of instructions of how to progress... I have heard that nothing beats having the sangat of someone who has actually gone through the stages because there will be many hurdles along the way and Maya will try its absolute best to hold you back or distract you on your path. For example when you start seeing lights of the different chakras/taats poeple can get lost by just looking at them thinking they made it. I don't even have the answer because I haven't seen any lights yet. I think you need to remain focused on the dhun because shabad is higher than taats/colours. Any kind of vision is considered maya and to be ignored. But to contradict that how will one know when Waheguru is staring one in the face? I guess only time will tell.

May Waheguru guide us all safely to his pavitar charan...

On this marg we have to be patient and persevere on, just have faith and keep walking. Myself included.

gobi(n)dh milan kee eih thaeree bareeaa || This is your chance to meet the Lord of the Universe.

Oh! and I forgot to thank you for always updating this thread. Makes my day when I see another new post made into this thread. And no matter whether anyone's replying or not...you keep updating.

When I first starting 'following' this thread, it had probably about 900 views....and today it has more than 1200!!!!

That says quite a lot...doesn't it?

Any kind of vision is considered maya and to be ignored.

Only vision or sound as well?

What about the 'tunnel like' appearance after a couple of minutes? What does that mean?

I had always thought that the sounds that start playing according to the Waheguru Mantar 'vidhi' I chant, were made up by my mind. I kind of wished for it to go away (if it was my mind's play)... When it kept repeating every time I sat, I kinda felt really down because of my 'assumption' (?) of my mind doing it.

Reading your post has made me think about it again. I used to always think that the 'anhad shabad' would start suddenly and not with a faint sound in the beginning.

This is the very problem I have come to realise, no one is willing to tell us when we are hearing the anhad bani and how it manifests. I seriously recommend you read Discourses on the Beyond volume 3. Which briefly mentions visions and sounds.

Whoa! I didn't know this was actually a translation of Baat Agam Ki volumes!!! (just finished googling) We've got all of them. All of Baat Agam Ki, Kiv Sachiaara hoiye....and so many more! (Well, technically it's my Singh's collection.)

My Singh has actually been pestering me to read Baat Agam Ki....I've only read about 50 pages of the first book yet. There is just SO much to take in....it's not just a simple flowing novel. I've got a great reading speed for English (read all of the twilight series in a week back then!)....but reading these books is just something entirely different. You want to go through them very carefully and take everything in! Also, reading in Punjabi has taken a bit of time to speed up.

Anyways, thanks for the advice...I will surely start again on Baat Agam Ki.

Also, it is said that if one reads the entire Kiv Sachiara hoiye series, one is sure to get vairaag!

Don't force yourself through tunnels unless some abyaasi pursh who you place full trust in instructs you to do so.

Yeah, the focus should only be on the shabad and it just doesn't matter what goes on around it all. I think it is alright to just acknowledge that such and such is occurring but not dwell over it.

Also if this thing becomes very loud how will I function day to day. Someone is talking to me and I can hear this sound in my ears. lol

LOL! funnily enough...I had asked the same question once!

It won't go on outside of your meditative state.

The problem I face, and I'm sure others out there also, is that we have been given too much knowledge of different techniques. Rather than starting from the beginning and progressing we know focus here focus there, you will see this you will see that. It all in our mind now so it won't be difficult for the mind to say let me give them what they are expecting.

True!

Hope that helps, Ji.

Thank you, Bhaji.

On 1/4/2013 at 1:29 AM, Raaj.Karega.Khalsa said:

LOL! funnily enough...I had asked the same question once!

It won't go on outside of your meditative state.

That's not entirely true from what I hear, eventually you will be able to hear it 24-7. For the past few days mine has been on loads. I thought it would also manifest when you go internal and begin to close off the nine gates. But mine just starts even when I have my eyes open and my mind is still. Sometimes I wake up in the night and its happening. Just wish it was intoxicating to draw me to listen to it. I will see if I can post some relevant pages from Discourses from the Beyond which will shed some light.

That's not entirely true from what I hear, eventually you will be able to hear it 24-7. For the past few days mine has been on loads. I thought it would also manifest when you go internal and begin to close of the nine gates. But mine just starts even when I have my eyes open and my mind is still. Sometimes I wake up in the night and its happening. Just wish it was intoxicating to draw me to listen to it. I will see if I can post some relevant pages from Discourses from the Beyond which will shed some light.

That's amazing then! (although it doesn't make any sense to me coz I've never experienced or read it anywhere...I was simply told about it.

Looking forward to your updates :)

I have pasted chapters from Discourses on the Beyond vol 3 in another thread. This is true knowledge from a realised soul. Thanks to Sant Waryam Singh Ji for making this knowledge available to us seekers who are trying to walk on this path..

http://www.sikhawareness.com/index.php/topic/14949-discourses-on-the-beyond-vol-3/

Edited by Sat1176

Just read rest of Ang 425. Do I really need to read anymore? How many more ways does my mind need to be told to do as much simran as I can. Why am I still so lazy and why does my mind look for other things to do instead? Why have I already wasted so much time in my life? Got a long hard battle ahead of me. Only way I'm going to win this game is if he so wishes it and does his kirpa...

Sri Guru Amar Das Ji says

Everything is within the home of your own self; there is nothing beyond it.

gharai andar sabh vath hai baahar kichh naahee.

By Guru`s Grace, it is obtained, and the doors of the inner heart are opened wide. ||1||

gur parsaadee paa-ee-ai antar kapat khulaahee.

From the True Guru, the Lord`s Name is obtained, O Siblings of Destiny.

satgur tay har paa-ee-ai bhaa-ee.

The treasure of the Naam is within; the Perfect True Guru has shown this to me. ||1||Pause||

antar naam niDhaan hai poorai satgur dee-aa dikhaa-ee. rahaa-o.

One who is a buyer of the Lord`s Name, finds it, and obtains the jewel of contemplation.

har kaa gaahak hovai so la-ay paa-ay ratan veechaaraa.

He opens the doors deep within, and through the Eyes of Divine Vision, beholds the treasure of liberation. ||2||

andar kholai dib disat daykhai mukat bhandaaraa.

There are so many mansions within the body; the soul dwells within them.

andar mahal anayk heh jee-o karay vasayraa.

He obtains the fruits of his mind`s desires, and he shall not have to go through reincarnation again. ||3||

man chindi-aa fal paa-isee fir ho-ay na fayraa.

The appraisers cherish the commodity of the Name; they obtain understanding from the Guru.

paarkhee-aa vath samaal la-ee gur sojhee ho-ee

The wealth of the Naam is priceless; how few are the Gurmukhs who obtain it. ||4||

naam padaarath amul saa gurmukh paavai ko-ee.

Searching outwardly, what can anyone find? The commodity is deep within the home of the self, O Siblings of Destiny.

baahar bhaalay so ki-aa lahai vath gharai andar bhaa-ee.

The entire world is wandering around, deluded by doubt; the self-willed manmukhs lose their honor.

bharmay bhoolaa sabh jag firai manmukh pat gavaa-ee.

The false one leaves his own hearth and home, and goes out to another`s home.

ghar dar chhoday aapnaa par ghar jhoothaa jaa-ee.

Like a thief, he is caught, and without the Naam, he is beaten and struck down.

chorai vaaNgoo pakrhee-ai bin naavai chotaa khaa-ee.

Those who know their own home, are happy, O Siblings of Destiny.

jinHee ghar jaataa aapnaa say sukhee-ay bhaa-ee

They realize God within their own hearts, through the glorious greatness of the Guru.

antar barahm pachhaani-aa gur kee vadi-aa-ee.

He Himself gives gifts, and He Himself bestows understanding; unto whom can we complain?

aapay daan karay kis aakhee-ai aapay day-ay bujhaa-ee.

O Nanak, meditate on the Naam, the Name of the Lord, and you shall obtain glory in the True Court.

naanak naam Dhi-aa-ay tooN dar sachai sobhaa paa-ee.

Edited by Sat1176

My Guru is telling me to do one thing and one thing only and I do so many others..... Waheguru Waheguru Waheguru Waheguru

Ang 426

They are occupied with the Naam, and only the Naam; they deal only in the Naam.

naamay hee naam varatday naamay vartaaraa.

Deep within their hearts is the Naam; upon their lips is the Naam; they contemplate the Word of God, and the Naam.

antar naam mukh naam hai naamay sabad veechaaraa.

They listen to the Naam, believe in the Naam, and through the Naam, they obtain glory.

naam sunee-ai naam mannee-ai naamay vadi-aa-ee.

They praise the Naam, forever and ever, and through the Naam, they obtain the Mansion of the Lord`s Presence.

naam salaahay sadaa sadaa naamay mahal paa-ee.

Through the Naam, their hearts are illumined, and through the Naam, they obtain honor.

naamay hee ghat chaannaa naamay sobhaa paa-ee.

Through the Naam, peace wells up; I seek the Sanctuary of the Naam.

naamay hee sukh oopjai naamay sarnaa-ee.

Without the Naam, no one is accepted; the self-willed manmukhs lose their honor.

bin naavai ko-ay na mannee-ai manmukh pat gavaa-ee.

In the City of Death, they are tied down and beaten, and they lose their lives in vain.

jam pur baaDhay maaree-ah birthaa janam gavaa-ee.

Those Gurmukhs who realize the Naam, all serve the Naam. (To serve Naam is to LISTEN TO IT!!!!!)

naamai kee sabh sayvaa karai gurmukh naam bujhaa-ee.

So believe in the Naam, and only the Naam; through the Naam, glorious greatness is obtained.

naamhu hee naam mannee-ai naamay vadi-aa-ee.

He alone receives it, unto whom it is given. Through the Guru`s Teachings, the Naam is realized.

jis no dayvai tis milai gurmatee naam bujhaa-ee.

O Nanak, everything is under the influence of the Naam; by perfect good destiny, a few obtain it.

naanak sabh kichh naavai kai vas hai poorai bhaag ko paa-ee.

Edited by Sat1176

Came across the pangti which got me thinking....

Meditating on the Naam, the Name of the Lord, with intuitive ease and poise, spiritual wisdom is revealed. ||1||

sehjay naam Dhi-aa-ee-ai gi-aan pargat ho-ay. ||1||

True spiritual knowledge is going to come itself when we do abhyaas slowly, but this could also mean when we enter shej samadhi which is really high avasta.

I have to die in that shabad. Kill the mind/thoughts completely as guru ji instructs on ang 429.

Ego, self-centeredness, excessive anger and pride are the lot of mankind.
ha-umai mayraa jaat hai at kroDh abhimaan.

If one dies in the Word of the Shabad, then he is rid of this, and his light is merged into the Light of the Lord God. ||2||
sabad marai taa jaat jaa-ay jotee jot milai bhagvaan.

Waheguru waheguru waheguru.....

Edited by Sat1176

My simran has taken a battering this past week. Can't seem to knuckle down and focus. Think this was the reminder I needed...

Sri Guru Arjan Dev Ji says on Ang 456

Ang 456

Make the effort, O very fortunate ones, and meditate on the Lord, the Lord King.

udam karahu vadbhaageeho simrahu har har raa-ay.

O Nanak, remembering Him in meditation, you shall obtain total peace, and your pains and troubles and doubts shall depart.

naanak jis simrat sabh sukh hoveh dookh darad bharam jaa-ay.

Chant the Naam, the Name of the Lord of the Universe; don`t be lazy.

naam japat gobind nah alsaa-ee-ai.

With each and every breath, worship the Lord in adoration; meditate on the Lord God in your mind and with your mouth. (I think the reference to man mukhee refers to the mouth of the mind i.e. internally with sass sass)

saas saas araaDh har har Dhi-aa-ay so parabh man mukhee.

Prays Nanak: may I meditate on the Lord`s lotus feet, and not be lazy in chanting the Naam, the Name of the Lord of the Universe. ||1||

naanak pa-i-ampai charan jampai naam japat gobind nah alsaa-ee-ai. ||1||

The Purifier of sinners is the Naam, the Pure Name of the Immaculate Lord.

paavan patit puneet naam niranjanaa.

By the healing ointment of the Guru`s spiritual wisdom, one meets the Immaculate Lord God, who is totally pervading the water, the land and the sky.

gur gi-aan anjan parabh niranjan jal thal mahee-al poori-aa.

Wherever the Saints worship the Lord in adoration, there He is revealed.

jah jah sant araaDheh tah tah paragtaa-i-aa.

God blends Himself with His devotees in His natural way, and resolves their affairs.

parabh aap lee-ay samaa-ay sahj subhaa-ay bhagat kaaraj saari-aa.

In the ecstasy of the Lord`s Praises, they obtain supreme joy, and forget all their sorrows.

aanand har jas mahaa mangal sarab dookh visaari-aa.

Ang 458

The brilliant flash of the One Lord is revealed to them - they behold Him in the ten directions.

chamatkaar pargaas dah dis ayk tah daristaa-i-aa.

Prays Nanak, I meditate on the Lord`s lotus feet; the Lord is the Lover of His devotees; this is His natural way.

naanak pa-i-ampai charan jampai bhagat vachhal har birad aap banaa-i-aa.

Edited by Sat1176

Chakras not yet. Why are you seeing colours?

Nope nothing visual or auditory for me. Just blackness of the eyes and silence of the room. I am experiencing sensations down my spine. If there are Chakras I think this might be it. I can somewhat sense things in my pelvic region, my stomach region is active, my chest region becomes pretty active (and heart starts pumping or I notice it more), my throat becomes very tight and lots of pressure there. My forehead is the most activ, it feels like something is applying a lot of pressure there. And then I have these tingling sensations at the top of my head, sometimes there is pressure. Body also heats up a bit. Becomes more than relaxed. But at the time time becomes full of energy and sometimes start shivering and shaking.

I believe I am hearing the anhad shabad which gurbani says is the voice of waheguru. It's very weak but becoming more and more present. I can't make out the instruments yet, it is a very strange sound. Hope it will become more clearer as I learn to listen to it and absorb myself into it.

My experience of the Anhat (unstruck) is blissful silence. To call it silence does not do it justice.

Please note that my posts are my own personal experiences and I do not profess to be any kind of subject expert on the matter. Just a simple Guru Ka Sikh trying to walk on the path to meet my maker.... I leave the route he wants me to travel entirely in his hands.

Veera just seeing if we can compare notes if there was something common in our experience. I haven't had the sounds and stuff that you have experienced.

Edited by BhagatSingh

Nope nothing visual or auditory for me. Just blackness of the eyes and silence of the room. I am experiencing sensations down my spine. If there are Chakras I think this might be it. I can somewhat sense things in my pelvic region, my stomach region is active, my chest region becomes pretty active (and heart starts pumping or I notice it more), my throat becomes very tight and lots of pressure there. My forehead is the most activ, it feels like something is applying a lot of pressure there. And then I have these tingling sensations at the top of my head, sometimes there is pressure. Body also heats up a bit. Becomes more than relaxed. But at the time time becomes full of energy and sometimes start shivering and shaking.

My experience of the Anhat (unstruck) is blissful silence. To call it silence does not do it justice.

Veera just seeing if we can compare notes if there was something common in our experience. I haven't had the sounds and stuff that you have experienced.

Thanks for sharing your experience with us Bhagat Singh Ji. May Waheguru Ji bless us all with the deeper intensity of his naam simran.

Edited by Sat1176

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa !!

Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh !!

Veer ji , tusi bahut karmaa wale ho ke tuhanu time milda jaap karanda . Waheguru sab te eho jahi mehar kare

Sant jarnail singh ji said

1)your dreams start to come true

2) you are visited by maharpursh's from past in dream

3) you can clearly see waheguru in your rom in gold

4) if you are blessed with abhinashi darshan you will see joot in everyone

i recently became a singh

i cry when i read bani , sometimes i feel immense pressure in forehead , like a third eye

Waheguru Kirpa karan sareyaan te

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa !!

Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh !!