Meditation - My Experiance, Am I Allowed To Share?

Lucky ji,

A sikh practices bhagati yog, which includes dhyan of a personal God. ਅਹਿਨਿਸਿ ਰਾਵੇ ਭਗਤਿ ਜੋਗੁ ॥ Day and night he enjoys Bhagati Yog. A sikh is a yogi if he is into meditating a lot, as you and I are. ;)

Let's clear up the terms here. Yog is the science of union of individual consciousness with the Ultimate Consciousness. Basically anything to do with meditation will be talked about under the heading of "Yog". Gurmat is the mat, teachings/ideology, of a guru. Gurmat is the vessel through which Yog is passed on to the sikh, as gur parsad. Gurmat also has other stuff specific to the guru who is teaching and specific to the sikhs to whom the teachings are aimed at. So you can see, it makes literally no sense to label anahat, dhyan, union as yogic or gurmat. These are principles that come under "Yog" that are taught to us by Guru Granth Sahib.

Hope that made sense.

Edited by BhagatSingh

Whilst bairaag/deattachment is not a stage or state on its own, bairaag is needed throughout in bhagti marg to stay focus in the marg of Gurmat. If we think about it, we got through this constant struggle to fight off asthohol maya (physical maya), ever wondered what it would be in seeing subtle maya in divinity, bairaag is greatest weapon this jiv has not to pay attention to them, focus on main aim.

Sant isher singh ji rara sahib said in the divan, during his own journey all bhramand shaktiya's and sukhsham maya came to him with their hands folded, but their bairaag was too much that they didn't thought of them and keep moving on towards milaap of vahiguroo.

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Bhai Sahib,

Vahiguru Jee Ka Khalsa, Vahiguru Jee Kee Fateh

I have followed with interest your experiences and would like to learn from you about how you started, what effort and technique you have followed and how much time it has taken you to reach this level. You could post on the forum or email me to learnerlearner6@gmail.com

Thanks and regards

hs

Dearest HSingh6

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ke Fateh

I'm not doing anything special Bro that I'm aware off. Any knowledge I have gained I have already shared in my posts on this forum. I'm have no strict routine where and when I sit down although I wish I did. I just do as much simran throughout the day as I can. That means from the moment I wake up I try and get the simran going verbally or mentally. As per Gurbani it says try and do it 24x7. That not easy if you have a job/family etc but you got to start somewhere. Nevertheless whatever I'm doing, getting dressed, walking, on the train keep I try and keep the simran going verbally if possible or mentally if in a crowded area amongst others. I'm also listening to simran with headphones as much I can so my elephant mind learns to listen to it with full concentration and fall in love with the word Waheguru. (We all have our personal tastes, which seems to connect us) Believe you me, there are times when I just can't do it or don't want to. If I have a few minutes where I can fully concentrate then I close my eyes and just say WaheGuru with my diyan/focus in my ears and on the sound of my own voice just slightly in front of my lips. You will then clearly begin to hear the jaap as it comes out of your mouth. You will also begin to recognize the difference between when your mind is listening and when your just japping and not listening.

It's been drummed into me that learn to kill those thoughts/mind (i.e. to die in the shabad) and the only way this is going to happen is when our mind learns to listen to the jaap that comes out of our mouth. If the mind is wondering say the Gur Mantar louder, not necessarily faster. As your mind begins to become still then you start bringing the volume down. Do this for some more time at the lower volume and observe if the thoughts are still coming. If your mind starts wandering again bring the volume back up. If its still listening then lower even more down to dull whisper. At this stage you will begin to notice that the jaap syncs with the breath. So on inhale say Wahe pause for 0.5 to 1 second exhale say Guru. An ever so short pause between the Wahe and the Guru. You will know what feels right to you.

The other thing I've mentioned on other threads is slight navel pull in on Wahe and release on Guru. This is not kapal bhati that Ram Dev or Yogi's do. Its only a few millimeters, 1 cm is probably too much pressure, its ever so slight pressure that is put on that region. I'm sure I mentioned it on another thread before.

How long has it taken me to get to this stage? What stage! I don't know if I have reached any stage at all yet. I'm just drawing upon little snippets of other people's knowledge that seems to make sense to me and taking small steps myself. I'm just a nobody drowning in this world of Maya. But one thing Guru Ji has now drummed into my head good and proper is that only his Naam is going to be the rope that I can use to get me out. I'm hardly interested in anything else. When I hear anything to do with Naam simran my eyes and ears open in excitement. Any other topics I just feel like I'm wasting my time reading and listening to.

I read these pungtis in SGGS a few days ago which gave me a real wake up call.

The mind is in the body, and the True Lord is in the mind.
tan meh manoo-aa man meh saachaa.

(Now the game to find him in the mind is you have to kill your own first. The way ordained by Guru Maharaj is use his GurMantar to stop it thinking anything else. The more still it becomes and the 9 doors through which the mind loves to escape close, then slowly the anhad shabad sounds begin to be heard. When I put in the effort I sometimes begin to hear but as I back off I don't do the simran it disappears again for days even weeks. Then I have to put in intense effort again and with Guru Ji's grace it sometimes returns.)

He Himself watches over us, and He Himself makes us see.
aap dikhaavai aapay daykhai.

He is not pleased by stubborn-mindedness, nor by various religious robes.
hath na pateejai naa baho bhaykhai.

He fashioned the body-vessels, and infused the Ambrosial Nectar into them;
gharh bhaaday jin amrit paa-i-aa.

God`s Mind is pleased only by loving devotional worship.
paraym bhagat parabh man patee-aa-i-aa.

Reading and studying, one becomes confused, and suffers punishment.
parh parh bhooleh chotaa khaahi.

(This was my own fundamental mistake. I spent more time reading about the subject rather than putting in the actual effort. The more I read the more confused I became about what technique should one use. I was all over the place. Then I did sangat and the first thing I was told was forget everything you have learned and just learn to listen to the shabad. Put your diyaan in the GurMantar until your mind is dead. Everything else will happen on its own when the time is right. No eye straining, no nothing. Just relax and listen! Then I started reading Gurbani and it's saying exactly the same thing.)

By great cleverness, one is consigned to coming and going in reincarnation.
bahut si-aanap aavahi jaahi.

One who chants the Naam, the Name of the Lord, and eats the food of the Fear of God
naam japai bha-o bhojan khaa-ay.

becomes Gurmukh, the Lord`s servant, and remains absorbed in the Lord.
gurmukh sayvak rahay samaa-ay.

Edited by Sat1176

I had taken a back seat on this thread as my fellow brothers/sisters shared their views and experiences. Since this thread has gone quiet again, and there seems to be a lot of interest, I will resume with sharing pungtis of gurbani as I read slowly which is striking and inspiring me. Hopefully it will give you the same inspiration and guidance we all so desperately seek.

Ang 580

The nine doors are closed by the True Lord`s Command, and the swan-soul takes flight into the skies.

na-o dar thaakay hukam sachai hans ga-i-aa gainaaray.

The musicians play, and the Bani of the True Lord`s Words are sung; the five relatives feel as if they too are dead, so deadened are their minds.

vaajay vajay sachee baanee-aa panch mu-ay man maaray.

But she alone is approved, who dies, while yet still alive; she lives for the sake of the Love of her Beloved.

jeevat marai so jaanee-ai pir sachrhai hayt pi-aaray.

Upon each and every head, the True Lord writes their destiny of pain and pleasure, according to their past actions.

sir sir sachrhai likhi-aa dukh sukh purab veechaarovaa.

He bestows pain and pleasure, according to the deeds done; the record of these deeds stays with the soul.

dukh sukh dee-aa jayhaa kee-aa so nibhai jee-a naalay.

He does those deeds which the Creator Lord causes him to do; he attempts no other actions.

jayhay karam karaa-ay kartaa doojee kaar na bhaalay.

The Lord Himself is detached, while the world is entangled in conflict; by His Command, He emancipates it.

aap niraalam DhanDhai baaDhee kar hukam chhadaavanhaaro.

The chain is put around his neck, and the Messenger of Death standing over his head strikes him; he cannot see the door of his home.

gal sangal sir maaray oobhou naa deesai ghar baaro.

The seeds planted on this path do not sprout; bearing the weight of his sins upon his head, he regrets and repents.

ib kay raahay jamman naahee pachhutaanay sir bhaaro.

O Baba, they alone are known to truly weep and wail, who meet together and weep, chanting the Praises of the Lord.

baabaa roveh raveh so jaanee-ahi mil rovai gun saarayvaa.

The Lord Himself reveals the Path; He Himself is the Doer of deeds.

aapay maarag paavanhaaraa aapay karam kamaa-ay.

Those who are imbued with the Naam, are protected by the Perfect Guru, O Nanak; they merge in celestial bliss.

naam ratay gur poorai raakhay naanak sahj subhaa-ay.

Some have wandered away from the Name of the Lord, and lost the Path. The Word of the Guru`s Shabad is the True game.

ik bhoolay naavhu thayhhu thaavhu gur sabdee sach khaylo.

Do not go on Death`s path; remain merged in the Word of the Shabad, the true form throughout the ages. (I believe this is a reference to shabad that manifests after the Gurmantar)

jam maarag nahee jaanaa sabad samaanaa jug jug saachai vaysay.

Through good fortune, we meet such friends and relatives, who meet with the Guru, and escape the noose of Death.

saajan sain milhu sanjogee gur mil kholay faasay.

O Nanak, throughout the ages, they are known as wise, who weep, remembering the True Lord.

naanak jug jug jaan sijaanaa roveh sach samaalay.

The True Lord and Master is realized through the Word of His Shabad; He blends all with Himself.

sachrhaa saahib sabad pachhaanee-ai aapay la-ay milaa-ay.

That soul-bride is imbued with the Love of her Husband Lord, who banishes herself from within.

saa Dhan pari-a kai rang ratee vichahu aap gavaa-ay.

Eradicating her ego from within herself, death shall not consume her again; as Gurmukh, she knows the One Lord God.

vichahu aap gavaa-ay fir kaal na khaa-ay gurmukh ayko jaataa.

The desire of the soul-bride is fulfilled; deep within herself, she is drenched in His Love. She meets the Great Giver, the Life of the World.

kaaman ichh punnee antar bhinnee mili-aa jagjeevan daataa.

The True Lord Master is realized through the Word of His Shabad. He blends all with Himself.

sachrhaa saahib sabad pachhaanee-ai aapay la-ay milaa-ay.

Renouncing ego, I serve them; thus I meet my True Husband Lord in sahj

aap chhod sayvaa karee pir sachrhaa milai sahj subhaa-ay.

Those who have realized their Husband Lord - I go and ask those Saints about Him.

jinee aapnaa kant pachhaani-aa ha-o tin poochha-o santaa jaa-ay.

The separated ones also meet with their Husband Lord, if they fall at the Feet of the True Guru.

pirahu vichhunnee-aa bhee milah jay satgur laagah saachay paa-ay.

The True Guru is forever merciful; through the Word of His Shabad, demerits are burnt away.

satgur sadaa da-i-aal hai avgun sabad jalaa-ay.

Burning away her demerits through the Shabad, the soul-bride eradicates her love of duality, and remains absorbed in the True, True Lord.

a-ogun sabad jalaa-ay doojaa bhaa-o gavaa-ay sachay hee sach raatee.

Through the True Shabad, everlasting peace is obtained, and egotism and doubt are dispelled.

sachai sabad sadaa sukh paa-i-aa ha-umai ga-ee bharaatee.

The Immaculate Husband Lord is forever the Giver of peace; O Nanak, through the Word of His Shabad, He is met.

pir nirmaa-il sadaa sukh-daata naanak sabad milaa-ay.

By Guru`s Grace, they may meet with their True Husband, and cherish Him always deep within.

gur parsaadee saachaa pir milai antar sadaa samaalay.

She cherishes her Husband deep within herself - He is always with her; the self-willed manmukhs think that He is far away.

pir antar samaalay sadaa hai naalay manmukh jaataa dooray.

Edited by Sat1176

Guru Amar Das Ji states on Ang 592

Serving the Guru, the mind becomes immaculately pure, and the darkness of spiritual ignorance is dispelled.

gur sayvaa tay man nirmal hovai agi-aan anDhayraa jaa-ay.

The jewel of the Naam is revealed in the home of one`s own being; O Nanak, one merges in celestial bliss.

naam ratan ghar pargat ho-aa naanak sahj samaa-ay.

Then further Guru Nanak Dev Ji instructs:

While standing, sitting, and sleeping, forever and ever, meditate on the Lord`s Name; O servant Nanak, as Gurmukh, you shall attain the Lord.

uth-di-aa bahdi-aa suti-aa sadaa sadaa har naam Dhi-aa-ee-ai jan naanak gurmukh har lahee-ai.

Sri Guru Nanak Dev Ji instructs on Ang 595

Make your mind the farmer, good deeds the farm, modesty the water, and your body the field.
man haalee kirsaanee karnee saram paanee tan khayt.

Sow the Name as the seed, make contentment the plow, and your humbleness the fence.
naam beej santokh suhaagaa rakh gareebee vays.

Doing deeds of love, the seed shall sprout, and you shall see your home flourish.
bhaa-o karam kar jammsee say ghar bhaagath daykh. ||1||

Make your ever-decreasing life your shop, and make the True Name your merchandise.
haan hat kar aarjaa sach naam kar vath.

Make understanding and contemplation your warehouse, and in that warehouse, store the Lord`s Name.
surat soch kar bhaaNdsaal tis vich tis no rakh.

Deal with the Lord`s dealers, earn your profits, and rejoice in your mind.
vanjaari-aa si-o vanaj kar lai laahaa man has.

Let your trade be listening to scripture, and let Truth be the horses you take to sell.
sun saasat sa-udaagree sat ghorhay lai chal.

Gather up merits for your travelling expenses, and do not think of tomorrow in your mind.
kharach bann chang-aa-ee-aa mat man jaaneh kal.

When you arrive in the land of the Formless Lord, you shall find peace in the Mansion of His Presence.
nirankaar kai days jaahi taa sukh laheh mahal.

Let your service be the focusing of your consciousness, and let your occupation be the placing of the Naam within the mind.
laa-ay chit kar chaakree man naam kar kamm

Ang 598

O my mind, remain steady, and do not wander away.
man ray thir rahu mat kat jaahee jee-o.

By searching around on the outside, you shall only suffer great pain; the Ambrosial Nectar is found within the home of your own being.
||Pause||

baahar dhoodhat bahut dukh paavahi ghar amrit ghat maahee jee-o. rahaa-o.

Renounce corruption, and seek virtue; committing sins, you shall only come to regret and repent.
avgun chhod gunaa ka-o Dhaavahu kar avgun pachhutaahee jee-o.

Chant the Immaculate Naam, the Name of the Lord always, under Guru`s Instruction; only then will your innermost being be emancipated.
nirmal naam japahu sad gurmukh antar kee gat taahee jee-o.

Let greed and slander be far away from you, and renounce falsehood; through the True Word of the Guru`s Shabad, you shall obtain the
true fruit.

parhar lobh nindaa koorh ti-aagahu sach gur bachnee fal paahee jee-o.

That Gurmukh who joins himself to the Guru`s service, saves his own home, and tastes the Lord`s Nectar.
ghar dar raakhahi jay ras chaakhahi jo gurmukh sayvak laagaa. ||1||

O mind, you must realize what your intellect is focused on.
man ray samajh kavan mat laagaa.

Forgetting the Naam, the Name of the Lord, one is involved with other tastes; the unfortunate wretch shall come to regret it in the end.
||Pause||

naam visaar an ras lobhaanay fir pachhutaahi abhaagaa. rahaa-o.

When things come, he is pleased, but when they go, he weeps and wails; this pain and pleasure remains attached to him.
aavat ka-o harakh jaat ka-o roveh ih dukh sukh naalay laagaa.

The Lord Himself causes him to enjoy pleasure and endure pain; the Gurmukh, however, remains unaffected.
aapay dukh sukh bhog bhogaavai gurmukh so anraagaa. ||2||

What else can be said to be above the subtle essence of the Lord? One who drinks it in is satisfied and satiated.
har ras oopar avar ki-aa kahee-ai jin pee-aa so tariptaagaa.

One who is lured by Maya loses this juice; that faithless cynic is tied to his evil-mindedness.
maa-i-aa mohit jin ih ras kho-i-aa jaa saakat durmat laagaa.

The Lord is the life of the mind, the Master of the breath of life; the Divine Lord is contained in the body.
man kaa jee-o pavanpat dayhee dayhee meh day-o samaagaa.

If You so bless us, Lord, then we sing Your Praises; the mind is satisfied and fulfilled, lovingly attached to the Lord.
jay too deh ta har ras gaa-ee man tariptai har liv laagaa.

In the Saadh Sangat, the Company of the Holy, the subtle essence of the Lord is obtained; meeting the Guru, the fear of death departs.
saaDhsangat meh har ras paa-ee-ai gur mili-ai jam bha-o bhaagaa.

O Nanak, chant the Name of the Lord, as Gurmukh; you shall obtain the Lord, and realize your pre-ordained destiny.
naanak raam naam jap gurmukh har paa-ay mastak bhaagaa.

Edited by Sat1176

Ang 601

Sri Guru Amar Das Ji:

I have died in the Word of the Shabad, and through the Shabad, I am dead while yet alive, O Siblings of Destiny; through the Shabad, I have been liberated.

ham sabad mu-ay sabad maar jeevaalay bhaa-ee sabday hee mukat paa-ee.

Through the Shabad, my mind and body have been purified, and the Lord has come to dwell within my mind.

sabday man tan nirmal ho-aa har vasi-aa man aa-ee.

O Nanak, the Naam, the Name of the Lord, abides deep within the mind; O Siblings of Destiny, there is no other at all.

naanak naam vasi-aa man antar bhaa-ee avar na doojaa ko-ee.

Ang 602

He alone is the Guru, and he alone is a Sikh, O Siblings of Destiny, whose light merges in the Light.

so guroo so sikh hai bhaa-ee jis jotee jot milaa-ay.

Ang 603

O mind, renounce the three qualities (Tamo, Rajo, Sato), and focus your consciousness on the fourth state.

man ray tarai gun chhod cha-uthai chit laa-ay.

In this world, the Name of the Lord is the true profit, O Siblings of Destiny; keep it enshrined within your heart.

jag meh laahaa har naam hai bhaa-ee hirdai rakhi-aa ur Dhaar.

In the Guru`s Sanctuary, O Siblings of Destiny, you shall be saved; be lovingly attuned to the Lord`s Name.

gur sarnaa-ee ubray bhaa-ee raam naam liv laa-ay.

O Nanak, the Name of the Lord is the boat, and the Name is the raft, O Siblings of Destiny; setting out on it, the Lord`s humble servant crosses over the world-ocean.

naanak naa-o bayrhaa naa-o tulharhaa bhaa-ee jit lag paar jan paa-ay.

O Nanak, meeting with the True Guru, one sees with his eyes, and finds the True Lord within the home of his own being.

naanak satgur milai ta akhee vaykhai gharai andar sach paa-ay. ||

Ang 604

Serving the True Guru, the divine melody wells up within, and one is blessed with wisdom and salvation.

satgur sayvay taa sahj Dhun upjai gat mat tad hee paa-ay.

The True Name of the Lord comes to abide in the mind, and through the Name, one merges in the Name.

har kaa naam sachaa man vasi-aa naamay naam samaa-ay.

Ang 605

Sri Guru Ram Das Ji informs:

The Ambrosial Nectar of the Naam, is the sweetest juice; through the Word of the Guru`s Shabad, its taste is revealed. ||Pause||

amrit naam mahaa ras meethaa gur sabdee chakh jaapai. rahaa-o

(Now I'm begging to understand why I have this constant sweet taste in the mouth)

The Beloved Himself is the Yogi`s horn, and the sound current of the Naad; He Himself plays the tune.

aapay sinyee naad hai pi-aaraa Dhun aap vajaa-ay aapai.

(If I understand this pangti correctly then 5 Anhad Shabad's finally become a single tone in the form of a Horn also referred to as Toor/Naad.)

The Beloved Himself is the Yogi, the Primal Being; He Himself practices intense meditation.

aapay jogee purakh hai pi-aaraa aapay hee tap taapai.

He Himself is the True Guru, and He Himself is the disciple; God Himself imparts the Teachings.

aapay satgur aap hai chaylaa updays karai parabh aapai. ||3||

The Beloved Himself inspires us to chant His Name, and He Himself chants

aapay naa-o japaa-idaa pi-aaraa aapay hee jap jaapai.

The Beloved Himself is the Ambrosial Nectar; He Himself is the juice of it.

aapay amrit aap hai pi-aaraa aapay hee ras aapai.

Edited by Sat1176

Ang 609

Sri Guru Arjan Dev Ji:

As long as this person believes in love and hate, it is difficult for him to meet the Lord.

ja-o la-o bhaa-o abhaa-o ih maanai ta-o la-o milan dooraa-ee.

As long as he discriminates between himself and others, he will distance himself from the Lord.

aan aapnaa karat beechaaraa ta-o la-o beech bikhaa-ee.

Now this is going to be a tough avasta to reach for. We are all champions at putting others down even within our own faith/community.

Ang 611

Hear with your ears, and sing with your tongue, and meditate within your heart on Him.

Sarvanee sunee-ai rasnaa gaa-ee-ai hirdai Dhi-aa-ee-ai so-ee.

So eat the Ambrosial Name of the Lord as your food; put it into your mouth at all times.

har amrit naam bhojan nit bhunchahu sarab vaylaa mukh paavhu.

These few pangti's for me cleared up the confusion I have always had with the term Swas/Saas-Giras. Why was it in translations that the term translated as doing simran with each breath and morsel of food. Was morsel of food a reference for constantly chanting with the mouth like we eat...

Then sometimes it's mentions Saas-Saas Simran or Swas-Swas Simran. I'm guessing this is when one goes on to do simran with the mind only and with every inhale and exhale of the breath. So infact there are two different stages.

1) Swas Giras Simran

2) Swas Swas Simran.

Edited by Sat1176

On Ang 656 Bhagat Kabir Ji and Naam Dev talk about entry into the Dasam Duar.

Why not chant the Lord's Name in your heart, when you are still young?
hiradhai raam kee n japehi savaeraa

O Saints, my windy mind has now become peaceful and still.
sa(n)thahu man pavanai sukh baniaa

It seems that I have learned something of the science of Yoga. ||Pause||
kishh jog paraapath ganiaa || rehaao

The Guru has shown me the hole,
gur dhikhalaaee moree

through which the deer carefully enters.
jith mirag parrath hai choree

I have now closed off the doors,

moo(n)dh leeeae dharavaaja

and the unstruck celestial sound current resounds.

baajeealae anehadh baajae

The pitcher of my heart-lotus is filled with water;

ku(n)bh kamal jal bhariaa

I have spilled out the water, and set it upright.

jal maettiaa oobhaa kariaa

Says Kabeer, the Lord's humble servant, this I know.

kahu kabeer jan jaaniaa ||

Bhagat Naam Dev Ji

When I see Him, I sing His Praises.

jab daykhaa tab gaavaa.

Then I, his humble servant, become patient.

ta-o jan Dheeraj paavaa.

Meeting the Divine True Guru, I merge into the sound current of the Naad. ||1||Pause||

naad samaa-ilo ray satgur bhaytilay dayvaa. ||1|| rahaa-o.

Where the dazzling lights is seen,

jah jhil mil kaar disantaa.

there the unstruck sound current of the Shabad resounds.

tah anhad sabad bajantaa.

One`s light merges in the Light;

jotee jot samaanee.

by Guru`s Grace, I know this.

mai gur parsaadee jaanee.

The jewels are in the treasure chamber of the lotus.

ratan kamal kothree.

They sparkle and glitter like lightning.

chamkaar beejul tahee.

The Lord is near at hand, not far away.

nayrai naahee door.

He is totally permeating and pervading in my soul.

nij aatmai rahi-aa bharpoor.

Where the light of the undying sun shines,

jah anhat soor uj-yaaraa.

the light of burning lamps seems insignificant.

tah deepak jalai chhanchhaaraa.

By Guru`s Grace, I know this.

gur parsaadee jaani-aa.

Servant Naam Dayv is absorbed in the Celestial Lord.

jan naamaa sahj samaani-aa.

Ang 657

The skinless drum plays.

anmarhi-aa mandal baajai.

Without the rainy season, the clouds shake with thunder.

bin saavan ghanhar gaajai

Without clouds, the rain falls,

baadal bin barkhaa ho-ee

if one contemplates the essence of reality.

ja-o tat bichaarai ko-ee. ||1||

I have met my Beloved Lord.
mo ka-o mili-o raam sanayhee

Meeting with Him, my body is made beauteous and sublime. ||1||Pause||

jih mili-ai dayh sudayhee. ||1|| rahaa-o

Touching the philosopher`s stone, I have been transformed into gold.

milpaaras kanchan ho-i-aa

I have threaded the jewels into my mouth and mind.

mukh mansaa ratan paro-i-aa

I love Him as my own, and my doubt has been dispelled.

nij bhaa-o bha-i-aa bharam bhaagaa

Seeking the Guru`s guidance, my mind is content.

gur poochhay man patee-aagaa.

The water is contained within the pitcher;
jal bheetar kumbh samaani-aa

I know that the One Lord is contained in all.

sabh raam ayk kar jaani-aa

The mind of the disciple has faith in the Guru.

gur chaylay hai man maani-aa

Servant Naam Dayv understands the essence of reality.

jan naamai tat pachhaani-aa.

Waheguru

Edited by Sat1176

Sri Guru Ram Das Ji talks about japping Naam in the mind..

Ang 669

Chant His Praises, learn of the Lord, and serve the True Guru; in this way, meditate on the Name of the Lord, Har, Har.

gun kaho har lahu kar sayvaa satgur iv har har naam Dhi-aa-ee.

In the Court of the Lord, He shall be pleased with you, and you shall not have to enter the cycle of reincarnation again; you shall merge in the Divine Light of the Lord, Har, Har, Har.

har dargeh bhaaveh fir janam na aavahi har har har jot samaa-ee.

Read about the Lord, write about the Lord, chant the Lord`s Name, and sing the Lord`s Praises; the Lord will carry you across the terrifying world-ocean.

har parh har likh har jap har gaa-o har bha-ojal paar utaaree.

In your mind, by your words, and within your heart, meditate on the Lord, and He will be pleased. In this way, repeat the Name of the Lord.

man bachan ridai Dhi-aa-ay har ho-ay santusat eiv bhan har naam muraaree.

When the Lord, Har, Har, casts His Glance of Grace, then I made the effort in my mind; meditating on the Name of the Lord, Har, Har, I have been emancipated.

har har karee darisat tab bha-i-o man udam har har naam japi-o gat bha-ee hamaaree.

Ang 672

He alone comes to have it, whom the Guru blesses with this Ambrosial Nectar.

jaa ka-o gur deeno ih amrit tis hee ka-o ban aavai.

The mind and body blossom forth in abundance, when one receives even a drop of this Nectar.

ma-uli-o man tan ho-i-o hari-aa ayk boond jin paa-ee.

We cannot meet the Lord by our own efforts, nor can we meet Him through service; He comes and meets us spontaneously.

ghaal na mili-o sayv na mili-o mili-o aa-ay achintaa.

One who is blessed by my Lord Master`s Grace, practices the Teachings of the Guru`s Mantra.

jaa ka-o da-i-aa karee mayrai thaakur tin gureh kamaano manntaa

I am a sacrifice to my Guru, who has implanted the Name of the Lord, Har, Har, within me.

baar jaa-o gur apunay oopar jin har har naam darirh-aa-yaa.

In the utter darkness of the wilderness, He showed me the straight path.

mahaa udi-aan anDhkaar meh jin seeDhaa maarag dikhaa-yaa.

Ang 684

the Lord dwells deep within; search for Him within your own heart, O Siblings of Destiny.

taisay hee har basay nirantar ghat hee khojahu bhaa-ee.

Outside and inside, know that there is only the One Lord; the Guru has imparted this wisdom to me.

baahar bheetar ayko jaanhu ih gur gi-aan bataa-ee.

O servant Nanak, without knowing one`s own self, the moss of doubt is not removed.

jan naanak bin aapaa cheenai mitai na bharam kee kaa-ee.

Ang 685

Sri Guru Teg Bahadhur Ji explains:

One who does not slander or praise others, who looks upon gold and iron alike,

par nindaa ustat nah jaa kai kanchan loh samaano.

who is free from pleasure and pain - he alone is called a true Yogi.

harakh sog tay rahai ateetaa jogee taahi bakhaano.

The restless mind wanders in the ten directions - it needs to be pacified and restrained.

chanchal man dah dis ka-o Dhaavat achal jaahi thehraano.

Says Nanak, whoever knows this technique is judged to be liberated.

kaho naanak ih biDh ko jo nar mukat taahi tum maano.

Bani Sri Guru Nanak Dev Ji:

The Yogi, the Primal Lord, sits within the celestial sphere of deepest Samaadhi.

sunn mandal ik jogee baisay.

He is not male, and He is not female; how can anyone describe Him?

naar na purakh kahhu ko-oo kaisay.

The three worlds continue to center their attention on His Light.
taribhavan jot rahay liv laa-ee.

Subduing ego, one meets the Lord, and places his feet on the Path.

ha-umai maar milay pag Dhaaray.

Ang 686

He wastes this precious human life through duality. (i.e. Not understanding everything is Waheguru)

janam padaarath dubiDhaa khovai.

Speak, read and hear of the One Lord.

kahta-o parh-ta-o sunta-o ayk.

The Support of the earth shall bless you with courage, righteousness and protection.

Dheeraj Dharam DharneeDhar tayk.

Chastity, purity and self-restraint are infused into the heart,

jat sat sanjam ridai samaa-ay.

when one centers his mind in the fourth state.
cha-uthay pad ka-o jay man patee-aa-ay.

They are immaculate and true, and filth does not stick to them.

saachay nirmal mail na laagai.

That union with the Lord is acceptable, which is united in intuitive poise.

sahj milai mili-aa parvaan.

Thereafter, one does not die, and does not come and go in reincarnation.

naa tis maran na aavan jaan.

The Lord`s slave is in the Lord, and the Lord is in His slave.

thaakur meh daas daas meh so-ay.

Wherever I look, I see none other than the Lord.

jah daykhaa tah avar na ko-ay.

The Gurmukhs worship the Lord, and find His celestial home.

gurmukh bhagat sahj ghar paa-ee-ai.

Without meeting the Guru, they die, and come and go in reincarnation. |1||Pause||

bin gur bhaytay mar aa-ee-ai jaa-ee-ai. ||1|| rahaa-o.

So make Him your Guru, who implants the Truth within you,

so gur kara-o je saach darirh-aavai.

who leads you to speak the Unspoken Speech, and who merges you in the Word of the Shabad.

akath kathaavai sabad milaavai.

God`s people have no other work to do;

har kay log avar nahee kaaraa.

they love the True Lord and Master, and they love the Truth.

saacha-o thaakur saach pi-aaraa.

Edited by Sat1176

Ang 688

The singer who sings the Lord`s Praises is adorned with the Word of the Shabad.
gaavai gaavanhaar sabad suhaavano.

Worship the True Lord, and believe in the True Guru; this brings the merit of making donations to charity, kindness and compassion.
saalaahi saachay man satgur punn daan da-i-aa matay.

The soul-bride who loves to be with her Husband Lord bathes at the Triveni (a.k.a. Trikuti; between the eyes), the sacred place where the Ganges, Jamuna and Saraswaati Rivers converge, the Truest of the True.
pir sang bhaavai sahj naavai baynee ta sangam sat satay.

(I have heard that one should only focus on the trikuti when one begins to hear the Anhad shabad at that point, until such a time one should keep their dhyaan in the sound of the Waheguru Mantar)

Edited by Sat1176

Bhagat Kabeer Ji : Ang 692

Says Kabeer, listen, O mortal: Renounce the doubts of your mind.

kahat kabeer sunhu ray paraanee chhodahu man kay bharmaa.

Chant only the One Naam, the Name of the Lord, O mortal, and seek the Sanctuary of the One Lord.

kayval naam japahu ray paraanee parahu ayk kee sarnaaN.

Within my mind is the wealth of the Lord`s Name.

hamrai man Dhan raam ko naamaa.

Bhagat Naam Dev Ji : Ang 693

Maya is the name of the power which causes us to be born; renouncing it, we obtain the Blessed Vision of the Lord`s Darshan.

maa-i-aa naam garabh jon kaa tih taj darsan paava-o.

First of all, there was only the Primal Being.

pahil pursaabiraa.

From that Primal Being, Maya was produced.

athon pursaadmaraa.

All that is, is His.

asgaa as usgaa.

In this Garden of the Lord, we all dance, like water in the pots of the Persian wheel. ||1||Pause||

har kaa baagraa naachai pinDhee meh saagraa. ||1|| rahaa-o.

Women and men both dance.

naachantee gopee jannaa.

There is no other than the Lord.

na-ee-aa tay bairay kanna.

Don`t dispute this,

tarak na chaa.

and don`t doubt this.

bharmee-aa chaa.

The Lord says, "This creation and I are one and the same."

kaysvaa bach-unee a-ee-ay ma-ee-ay ayk aan jee-o.

Bhagat Peepaa Ji : Ang 695

Within the body, the Divine Lord is embodied. The body is the temple, the place of pilgrimage, and the pilgrim.

kaa-ya-o dayvaa kaa-i-a-o dayval kaa-i-a-o jangam jaatee.

Within the body are incense, lamps and offerings. Within the body are the flower offerings.

kaa-i-a-o Dhoop deep na-eebaydaa kaa-i-a-o pooja-o paatee.

I searched throughout many realms, but I found the nine treasures within the body.

kaa-i-aa baho khand khojtay nav niDh paa-ee.

The One who pervades the Universe also dwells in the body; whoever seeks Him, finds Him there.

jo barahmanday so-ee pinday jo khojai so paavai.

Peepaa prays, the Lord is the supreme essence; He reveals Himself through the True Guru.

peepaa paranvai param tat hai satgur ho-ay lakhaavai.

Ang 703

The Jewel of the Lord is deep within my heart, but I do not have any knowledge of Him.

ratan raam ghat hee kay bheetar taa ko gi-aan na paa-i-o.

O servant Nanak, without vibrating, meditating on the Lord God, human life is uselessly wasted and lost.

jan naanak bhagvant bhajan bin birthaa janam gavaa-i-o (9)

You must understand that the Lord and Master is near at hand, but He has no form or feature.

so su-aamee tum nikat pachhaano roop raykh tay ni-aaraa.

Ang 717

Peace and tranquility, poise and pleasure, have welled up within my mind and millions of suns, O Nanak, illuminate me.

saaNt sahj sookh man upji-o kot soor naanak pargaas.

Ang 727

Through the Tenth Gate, the stream of nectar flows; take your bath in this.

asmaan mi-yaanay lahang daree-aa gusal kardan bood.

Serve the Lord forever; use your eyes, and see Him ever-present everywhere.

kar fakar daa-im laa-ay chasmay jah tahaa ma-ujood.

Sri Guru Nanak Dev Ji instructs on Ang 728

Wash the vessel, sit down and anoint it with fragrance; then, go out and get the milk.

bhaaNdaa Dho-ay bais Dhoop dayvhu ta-o dooDhai ka-o jaavhu.

Add the rennet of clear consciousness to the milk of good deeds, and then, free of desire, let it curdle.

dooDh karam fun surat samaa-in ho-ay niraas jamaavahu. ||1||

Chant the Name of the One Lord.

japahu ta ayko naamaa.

Let your mind be the handles (grip your mind and hold it firm and steady), and then churn it, without sleeping.

ih man eetee haath karahu fun naytara-o need na aavai.

If you chant the Naam, the Name of the Lord ,with your tongue, then the curd will be churned. In this way, the Ambrosial Nectar is obtained.

rasnaa naam japahu tab mathee-ai in biDh amrit paavhu.

Wash your mind in the pool of Truth, and let it be the vessel of the Lord; let this be your offering to please Him.

man sampat jit sat sar naavan bhaavan paatee taripat karay.

That humble servant who dedicates and offers his life, and who serves in this way, remains absorbed in his Lord and Master.

Poojaa paraan sayvak jay sayvay inH biDh saahib ravat rahai.

Waheguru

Edited by Sat1176

• 2 weeks later...

For the past week I've been feeling really angry and short tempered. I'm observing intense resistance within my mind wanting to partake in Simran. When I try and read SGGS my vision is going blurry and my eyes don't want to focus on the words so I read. On a positive note Kaami thoughts & desires seem to have reduced and don't have the same appeal anymore but Krodh is puting on a right battle. Odd because generally I'm quite a cool and calm person. Think it's time to head down to the gurdwara and wash some dishes and do some seva.

Edited by Sat1176

Sat,

Are you feeling angry? or Are you expressing it?

Where is the emotion rooted in the body?

Anger seems to be in the mind and my speech also. I can actually observe my myself being angry which feels kind of strange. I guess it's true how one can sit back and observe what the mind is doing or quickly reflect upon out of the ordinary change in character and behaviour.

Also beginning to feel a sense of detachment from family and life in general. One can't shy away from one's responsibilities but the attachment to these things seems to be changing if that makes sense. I think reading gurbani is striking a few cords in me and making me see life in a different light.

Edited by Sat1176

Ang 730

Guru Nanak Dev Ji:

Through the Gurdwara, the Guru`s Gate [Gate of Dasam Duar], one obtains understanding.

guroo du-aarai ho-ay sojhee paa-isee.

By being washed through this Gate, it becomes pure.

Ayt du-aarai Dho-ay hachhaa ho-isee.

He Himself bestows the Ambrosial Name of the Lord.

amrit har kaa naa-o aap vartaa-isee.

Such a mortal departs with honor and renown; his life is embellished and redeemed, and the trumpets resound with his glory.

chali-aa pat si-o janam savaar vaajaa vaa-isee.

O Nanak, he himself shall be enraptured, and he shall save his entire ancestry.

naanak aap nihaal sabh kul taarsee.

In the world hereafter, his account is not called for, if he goes with the insignia of the Lord.

agai puchh na hova-ee jay san neesaanai jaa-ay.

And that breath which is drawn without thinking of the Lord, that breath goes in vain.

jo dam chit na aavee so dam birthaa jaa-ay.

One who looks upon all with a single eye, and knows them to be one and the same - he alone is known as a Yogi. Pause

ayk darisat kar samsar jaanai jogee kahee-ai so-ee.

Remaining unblemished in the midst of the filth of the world - this is the way to attain Yoga.

anjan maahi niranjan rahee-ai jog jugat iv paa-ee-ai.

Meeting with the True Guru, doubt is dispelled, and the wandering mind is restrained.

satgur bhaytai taa sahsaa tootai Dhaavat varaj rahaa-ee-ai.

Nectar rains down, celestial music resounds, and deep within, wisdom is obtained.

nijhar jharai sahj Dhun laagai ghar hee parchaa paa-ee-ai.

When the horn is blown without being blown, then you shall attain the state of fearless dignity.

vaajay baajhahu sinyee vaajai ta-o nirbha-o pad paa-ee-ai.

Ang 739

Guru Arjan Dev Ji:

The Gates to the Sookh Mahal are so lofty.

sookh mahal jaa kay ooch du-aaray.

Within them, His beloved devotees dwell.

taa meh vaaseh bhagat pi-aaray.

The Natural Speech of God is so very sweet.

sahj kathaa parabh kee at meethee.

How rare is that person, who sees it with his eyes. Pause

virlai kaahoo naytarahu deethee. ||1|| rahaa-o.

There, in the arena of the congregation, the divine music of the Naad, the sound current, is sung.

tahgeet naad akhaaray sangaa.

There, the Saints celebrate with their Lord.
oohaa sant karahi har rangaa.

Neither birth nor death is there, neither pain nor pleasure.

tah maran na jeevan sog na harkhaa.

The Ambrosial Nectar of the True Name rains down there.

saach naam kee amrit varkhaa.

Ang 776

Sri Guru Raam Das Ji :

In his mind, he continually conjures up hopes; his mind is gripped by hunger and thirst.

nit aasaa man chitvai man tarisnaa bhukh lagaa-i-aa.

There is an infinite treasure buried within the mind, but still, he goes out, searching for poison.

antaa Dhan Dhar dabi-aa fir bikh bhaalan ga-i-aa.

Overcome and subdue this mind; your mind wanders around continually, like a falcon.

vas aanihu vay jan is man ka-o man baasay ji-o nit bha-udi-aa.

Ang 778

Listening to the Word of the Bani I know celestial peace. By great good fortune, I meditate on the Lord`s Name.

sun sarvan banee sahj jaanee har naam jap vadbhaagai.

The unstruck melody of the Shabad, the Word of God is so very beautiful.

Anhat sabad suhaavaa.

Ang 781

The Gurmukh chants the Bani of the unstruck melody; hearing it, listening to it, my mind and body are rejuvenated.

anhad banee gurmukh vakhaanee jas sun sun man tan hari-aa.

Edited by Sat1176