Meditation - My Experiance, Am I Allowed To Share?

I believe that Nanak ji is not recommending or suggesting the nostril practice.-

-Lucky, in fact, He is suggesting this, as do other authors of SGGS like Sant Kabir, who also recommends breath control.

The described breathing is about helping one to attain the ''steadiness''

Are we saying that steadiness is only achieved if the breathing practice is actioned ?

This described steadiness is in terms of getting into the middle or the balance between sun and moon, warm and cold energies...etc.

Guruji seems to saying that one can get into the middle or balanced state directly with pure dhian and focus.

Edited by Lucky

Just wanted to add an important note to this stage. DO NOT LOOK at this colour, simply open the eyes and the colour we disappear. My mind is entering the stage of illusion to draw me in and distract me so to hinder the progress.

May Waheguru guide us all safely to his lotus feet.

I think that one should acknowledge the colours or other experiences that occur instead of turning away and doing a u-turn.

To be able to accept,acknowledge and ignore in the sense it doesn't affect your concentration is the goal in my opinion.

Just like a ride on any journey, i think that you encounter a lot of distractions and obstacles along the way. However, to acknowledge and look at exactly what comes in the way and then to move on and leave it behind should be the goal for each of us.

From colours, sounds, sensory perceptions, visions and vibrations, -these all seem to be part of the journey.

Just like a car journey, one should not stop, reverse or try and pass with eyes shut.

We should camly accept it as a confirmation that the path approach is the correct one and these are just reassurances or distractions that are and will be destined ahead for each of us.

Even feelings of fear can appear such as being thrown into some vortex where it may apear as if one is being sucked into some other unknown dimension. It is the unknown that gives the ego this fear and makes you want to pull back.

Just keep the dhian on waheguru no matter what and who comes in the way or tries to cross the path.

Lucky anything one does in meditation is a technique, this includes mantras (gurmantra), pranayam, asanas, etc. It is possible to not have a technique, and still find stillness. It is possible to not meditate and still find stillness. It is possible to do everything wrong and still find stillness. Don't get me wrong, techniques help immensely. But it is just a technique. You seem to prefer mantras. Someone else might prefer pranayam. Some one else might combine the two. Someone may sing, someone else may dance, yet another may sit still.

Sant Kabir talks about two groups applying the exact same technique:

ਸੋਈ ਰਾਮੁ ਸਭੈ ਕਹਹਿ ਸੋਈ ਕਉਤਕਹਾਰ ॥੧੯੦॥ ਕਬੀਰ ਰਾਮੈ ਰਾਮ ਕਹੁ ਕਹਿਬੇ ਮਾਹਿ ਬਿਬੇਕ ॥ ਏਕੁ ਅਨੇਕਹਿ ਮਿਲਿ ਗਇਆ ਏਕ ਸਮਾਨਾ ਏਕ ॥੧੯੧॥

The saints also say* "Ram" and the magicians/miracle-workers also say "Ram". Kabir says do say "Ram" but keep in mind that the saints merged into Ram, while the magicians did not.

*meditate on the mantra

The saints said "Ram" with the intention of meeting Ram and so as they said "Ram" they went deeper and deeper towards Ram. The magicians said "Ram" as well, however their intention was to conjure up magic, which they obtained, but they never went deeper into the source. It is the intention with which one applies the technique, not the technique itself that carries one through.

Edited by BhagatSingh

Meditation is simply awareness, the subtelty of the breath is what makes meditation a task which requires patience, practise and focus. Once you can master the breath your mind will automatically become stiller allowing you to focus deep without having your surti broken. It will reach a point where you go beyond the breath and essentially you are not even breathing, you have gone beyond the body and mind and into the soul.

Those who have the patience to understand the secrets of the body will see the fruits of their labour when it comes to meditation, those who have little patience and are easily swayed by their minds will quickly dismiss valuable guidance from the masters.

No one can tell you a set formula for reaching Maharaj, because everyones path is unique to them and therefore their enlightenment will be unique. There will be things you pick up off others but there will be other things which you must unlock yourself.

Guru Rakha!

Edited by Maha Singh

Some good thoughts Bhagatji- I agree !!!

Having the personal 'uniqueness' is what makes even more special.

Personally, I have come across some very negative and derogatory views with regards to yoga techniques.

I notice that it is the lack of awareness that causes these inhibitions towards trying or acknowledging.

I am currently exploring many different yoga exercises and techniques and funny enough, I have found that i can easily adapt them to make them 'Gurmat' for my own personal development.

Edited by Lucky

Continued on reading again Guru Nanak Dev has mentioned the navel like before.

Cont...

Ang 945

"Where does this mind-elephant live? Where does the breath reside?

ih man maigal kahaa basee-alay kahaa basai ih pavnaa.

Where should the Shabad reside, so that the wanderings of the mind may cease?"

kahaa basai so sabad a-oDhoo taa ka-o chookai man kaa bhavnaa.

When the Lord blesses one with His Glance of Grace, he leads him to the True Guru. Then, this mind dwells in its own home within.

nadar karay taa satgur maylay taa nij ghar vaasaa ih man paa-ay.

When the individual consumes his egotism, he becomes immaculate, and his wandering mind is restrained.

aapai aap khaa-ay taa nirmal hovai Dhaavat varaj rahaa-ay.

"How can the root, the source of all be realized? How can the soul know itself? How can the sun enter into the house of the moon?"

ki-o mool pachhaanai aatam jaanai ki-o sas ghar soor samaavai.

The Gurmukh eliminates egotism from within; then, O Nanak, the sun naturally enters into the home of the moon.

gurmukh ha-umai vichahu khovai ta-o naanak sahj samaavai.

When the mind becomes steady and stable, it abides in the heart, and then the Gurmukh realizes the root, the source of all.

ih man nihchal hirdai vasee-alay gurmukh mool pachhaan rahai.

The breath is seated in the home of the navel; the Gurmukh searches, and finds the essence of reality.

naabh pavan ghar aasan baisai gurmukh khojat tat lahai.

This Shabad permeates the nucleus of the self, deep within, in its own home; the Light of this Shabad pervades the three worlds.

so sabad nirantar nij ghar aachhai taribhavan jot so sabad lahai.

The Gurmukh knows the unstruck sound current of the Bani; how rare are those who understand.

anhad banee gurmukh jaanee birlo ko arthaavai.

Ang 1026

For many ages, only darkness prevailed;

kaytay jug vartay gubaarai.

the infinite, endless Lord was absorbed in the primal void.

taarhee laa-ee apar apaarai.

He sat alone and unaffected in absolute darkness; the world of conflict did not exist.

DhunDhookaar niraalam baithaa naa tad DhanDh pasaaraa hay.

Thirty-six ages passed like this.

jug chhateeh tinai vartaa-ay.

He causes all to happen by the Pleasure of His Will.

ji-o tis bhaanaa tivai chalaa-ay.

No rival of His can be seen. He Himself is infinite and endless.

tiseh sareek na deesai ko-ee aapay apar apaaraa hay.

God is hidden throughout the four ages - understand this well.

guptay boojhhu jug chatu-aaray.

He pervades each and every heart, and is contained within the belly.

ghat ghat vartai udar majhaaray.
Edited by Sat1176

Instruction by Guru Nanak Dev ji :

Ang 1030

Remain in your own home, O my foolish and ignorant mind.

ghar rahu ray man mugaDh i-aanay

Meditate on the Lord - concentrate deep within your being and meditate on Him.

raam japahu antargat Dhi-aanay

Renounce your greed, and merge with the infinite Lord. In this way, you shall find the door of liberation.

laalach chhod rachahu aprampar i-o paavhu mukat du-aaraa hay

The body is formed from the union of the five elements.

panch tat mil kaa-i-aa keenee.

Know that the Lord`s jewel is within it.

tis meh raam ratan lai cheenee.

The soul is the Lord, and the Lord is the soul; contemplating the Shabad, the Lord is found.

aatam raam raam hai aatam har paa-ee-ai sabad veechaaraa hay.

Abide in truth and contentment, O humble Siblings of Destiny.

sat santokh rahhu jan bhaa-ee.

Hold tight to compassion and the Sanctuary of the True Guru.

khimaa gahhu satgur sarnaa-ee.

Know your soul, and know the Supreme Soul; associating with the Guru, you shall be emancipated.

aatam cheen paraatam cheenahu gur sangat ih nistaaraa hay.

Ang 1031

Worship the Lord in devotion, O humble Siblings of Destiny.

har kee bhagat karahu jan bhaa-ee.

Speak the Unspoken Speech, and the mind will merge back into the Mind.

akath kathahu man maneh samaa-ee.

Restrain your restless mind within its own home, and the Lord, the Destroyer, shall destroy your pain.

uth chaltaa thaak rakhahu ghar apunai dukh kaatay kaatanhaaraa hay.

Creating the world, He has set His play into motion.

jagat upaa-ay khayl rachaa-i-aa.

He placed the soul in the body of air, water and fire.

pavnai paanee agnee jee-o paa-i-aa.

The body-village has nine gates; the Tenth Gate remains hidden.

dayhee nagree na-o darvaajay so dasvaa gupat rahaataa hay.

There are four horrible rivers of fire.

chaar nadee agnee asraalaa.

How rare is that Gurmukh who understands this, and through the Word of the Shabad, remains unattached.

ko-ee gurmukh boojhai sabad niraalaa.

Water, fire, air, earth and ether

ap tayj vaa-ay parithmee aakaasaa.

- in that house of the five elements, they dwell.

tin meh panch tat ghar vaasaa.

Those who remain imbued with the Word of the True Guru`s Shabad, renounce Maya, egotism and doubt.

satgur sabad raheh rang raataa taj maa-i-aa ha-umai bharaataa hay.

This mind is drenched with the Shabad, and satisfied.

ih man bheejai sabad pateejai.

The temple of the body is being plundered by the thieves within, but this faithless cynic does not even recognize these demons.

antar chor muhai ghar mandar in saakat doot na jaataa hay.

They are argumentative demons, terrifying goblins.

dundar doot bhoot bheehaalay.

These demons stir up conflict and strife.

khinchotaan karahi baytaalay.

Without awareness of the Shabad, one comes and goes in reincarnation; he loses his honor in this coming and going.

sabad surat bin aavai jaavai pat kho-ee aavat jaataa hay.

Ang 1032

One who has love within, obtains the Blessed Vision of His Darshan.

antar paraym paraapat darsan.

One who enshrines love for the Word of the Guru`s Bani, meets with Him.

gurbaanee si-o pareet so parsan.

Day and night, the Gurmukh sees the immaculate Divine Light everywhere; this lamp illuminates his heart.

ahinis nirmal jot sabaa-ee ghat deepak gurmukh jaataa hay.

The food of spiritual wisdom is the supremely sweet essence.

bhojan gi-aan mahaa ras meethaa.

Whoever tastes it, sees the Blessed Vision of the Lord`s Darshan.

jin chaakhi-aa tin darsan deethaa.

Beholding His Darshan, the unattached one meets the Lord; subduing the mind`s desires, he merges into the Lord.

darsan daykh milay bairaagee man mansaa maar samaataa hay.

Meditation is simply awareness, the subtelty of the breath is what makes meditation a task which requires patience, practise and focus. Once you can master the breath your mind will automatically become stiller allowing you to focus deep without having your surti broken. It will reach a point where you go beyond the breath and essentially you are not even breathing, you have gone beyond the body and mind and into the soul.

Those who have the patience to understand the secrets of the body will see the fruits of their labour when it comes to meditation, those who have little patience and are easily swayed by their minds will quickly dismiss valuable guidance from the masters.

No one can tell you a set formula for reaching Maharaj, because everyones path is unique to them and therefore their enlightenment will be unique. There will be things you pick up off others but there will be other things which you must unlock yourself.

Guru Rakha!

^

This!!

Thanks Maha Singh

Guru Nanak Dev ji on Ang 1041 :

Leave behind sexual desire, anger and the slander of others.

kaam kroDh parhar par nindaa.

Renounce greed and possessiveness, and become carefree.

lab lobh taj hohu nichindaa.

Break the chains of doubt, and remain unattached; you shall find the Lord, and the Lord's sublime essence, deep within yourself.

bharam kaa sangal torh niraalaa har antar har ras paa-i-aa.

As one sees the flash of lightning in the night,

nis daaman ji-o chamak chandaa-in daykhai.

see the Divine Light deep within your nucleus, day and night.

ahinis jot nirantar paykhai.

The Lord, the embodiment of bliss, incomparably beautiful, reveals the Perfect Guru.

aanand roop anoop saroopaa gur poorai daykhaa-i-aa.

So meet with the True Guru, and God Himself will save you.

satgur milhu aapay parabh taaray.

Ang 1100 : mehlaa 5.

O my friend, realize the True Lord. Just to talk about Him is useless.

sajan sach parakh mukh alaavan thothraa.

See Him within your mind; your Beloved is not far away.

man majhaahoo lakh tuDhhu door na so piree.

Edited by Sat1176

• 2 weeks later...

Ang 1068, Guru Amar Das Ji

Through the Shabad, one`s comings and goings in reincarnation are ended.

aavan jaanaa sabad nivaaray.

He keeps the True Name enshrined within his heart.

sach naam rakhai ur Dhaaray.

He dies in the Word of the Guru`s Shabad, and conquers his mind; stilling his egotism, he merges in the Lord.

gur kai sabad marai man maaray ha-umai jaa-ay samaa-i-aa.

The Shabad shines its Light deep within the self, and one dwells in peace; one`s light merges into the Light.

antar jot sabad sukh vasi-aa jotee jot milaa-i-aa.

One who intuitively chants God`s Glorious Praises day and night - his light merges into the Light.

sehjay gun raveh din raatee jotee jot milaa-i-aa.

The body is the tree; the bird of the soul dwells within it.

kaa-i-aa birakh pankhee vich vaasaa.

It drinks in the Ambrosial Nectar, resting in the Word of the Guru`s Shabad. (Lock the mind in on the sound of the shabad)

amrit chugeh gur sabad nivaasaa.

It never flies away, and it does not come or go; it dwells within the home of its own self.

udeh na moolay na aavahi na jaahee nij ghar vaasaa paa-i-aa.

Purify the body, and contemplate the Shabad.

kaa-i-aa soDheh sabad vichaareh.

Remove the poisonous drug of emotional attachment, and eradicate doubt.

moh thag-uree bharam nivaareh.

Ang 1069, Guru Ram Das ji

By Guru`s Grace, they are intuitively absorbed in Him.

gur parsaadee sahj samaahee.

Calling out, "Guru, Guru", I have found eternal peace; my consciousness is focused on the Guru`s feet.

gur gur karat sadaa sukh paa-i-aa gur charnee chit laa-ee hay.

O Dear Lord, please be kind, and grant Your Grace; please keep me in the Guru`s Sanctuary.

hohu da-i-aal kirpaa kar har jee-o rakh layvhu gur sarnaa-ee hay.

The True Guru trickles the Ambrosial Nectar into my mouth.

amrit ras satguroo chu-aa-i-aa.

My Tenth Gate has been opened and revealed.

dasvai du-aar pargat ho-ay aa-i-aa.

The unstruck sound current of the Shabad vibrates and resounds there, with the melody of the Guru`s Bani; one is easily, intuitively absorbed in the Lord.

tah anhad sabad vajeh Dhun banee sehjay sahj samaa-ee hay.

Ang 1093 , Guru Nanak Dev Ji

When one acts in egotism, then You are not there, Lord. Wherever You are, there is no ego.

ha-o mai karee taaN too naahee too hoveh ha-o naahi.

O spiritual teachers, understand this: the Unspoken Speech is in the mind.

boojhhu gi-aanee boojh-naa ayh akath kathaa man maahi.

Without the Guru, the essence of reality is not found; the Invisible Lord dwells everywhere.

bin gur tat na paa-ee-ai alakh vasai sabh maahi.

One meets the True Guru, and then the Lord is known, when the Word of the Shabad comes to dwell in the mind.

satgur milai ta jaanee-ai jaaN sabad vasai man maahi.

When self-conceit departs, doubt and fear also depart, and the pain of birth and death is removed.

aap ga-i-aa bharam bha-o ga-i-aa janam maran dukh jaahi.

Following the Guru`s Teachings, the Unseen Lord is seen; the intellect is exalted, and one is carried across.

gurmat alakh lakhaa-ee-ai ootam mat taraahi.

O Nanak, chant the chant of `Sohang hansaa` - `He is me, and I am Him.` The three worlds are absorbed in Him.

naanak sohaN hansaa jap jaapahu taribhavan tisai samaahi.

Edited by Sat1176

Ang 1106, Bhagat Naam Dev Ji

The breath is drawn in through the left nostril; it is held in the central channel of the Sushmanaa, and exhaled through the right nostril, repeating the Lord`s Name sixteen times.

chand sat bhaydi-aa naad sat poori-aa soor sat khorhsaa dat kee-aa.

I am powerless; my power has been broken. My unstable mind has been stabliized, and my unadorned soul has been adorned. I drink in the Ambrosial Nectar.

abal bal torhi-aa achal chal thapi-aa agharh gharhi-aa tahaa api-o pee-aa.

Within my mind, I chant the Name of the Primal Lord God, the Source of virtue.

man aad gun aad vakhaani-aa.

Ang 1110, Guru Nanak Dev Ji

The meteor shoots across the sky. How can it be seen with the eyes?

taaraa charhi-aa lammaa ki-o nadar nihaali-aa raam.

The True Guru reveals the Word of the Shabad to His servant who has such perfect karma.

sayvak poor karammaa satgur sabad dikhaali-aa raam.

The Guru reveals the Shabad; dwelling on the True Lord, day and night, he beholds and reflects on God.

gur sabad dikhaali-aa sach samaali-aa ahinis daykh beechaari-aa.

The five restless desires are restrained, and he knows the home of his own heart. He conquers sexual desire, anger and corruption.

Dhaavat panch rahay ghar jaani-aa kaam kroDh bikh maari-aa.

His inner being is illuminated, by the Guru`s Teachings; He beholds the Lord`s play of karma.

antar jot bha-ee gur saakhee cheenay raam karammaa.

Ang 1111

O Nanak, killing his ego, he is satisfied; the meteor has shot across the sky.

naanak ha-umai maar pateenay taaraa charhi-aa lammaa.

The Gurmukhs remain awake and aware (remain awake by constantly listening to the gurmantar/anhad shabad); their egotistical pride is eradicated.

gurmukh jaag rahay chookee abhimaanee raam.

Night and day, it is dawn for them; they merge in the True Lord.

an-din bhor bha-i-aa saach samaanee raam.

The Gurmukhs are merged in the True Lord; they are pleasing to His Mind. The Gurmukhs are intact, safe and sound, awake and awake.

saach samaanee gurmukh man bhaanee gurmukh saabat jaagay.

The Guru blesses them with the Ambrosial Nectar of the True Name; they are lovingly attuned to the Lord`s Feet.

saach naam amrit gur dee-aa har charnee liv laagay.

The Divine Light is revealed, and in that Light, they achieve realization; the self-willed manmukhs wander in doubt and confusion.

pargatee jot jot meh jaataa manmukh bharam bhulaanee.

O Nanak, when the dawn breaks, their minds are satisfied; they pass their life-night awake and aware.

naanak bhor bha-i-aa man maani-aa jaagat rain vihaanee.

Forgetting faults and demerits, virtue and merit enter one`s home.

a-ugan veesri-aa gunee ghar kee-aa raam.

The One Lord is permeating everywhere; there is no other at all.

ayko rav rahi-aa avar na bee-aa raam.

He is All-pervading; there is no other. The mind comes to believe, from the mind.

rav rahi-aa so-ee avar na ko-ee man hee tay man maani-aa.

The One who established the water, the land, the three worlds, each and every heart - that God is known by the Gurmukh.

jin jal thal taribhavan ghat ghat thaapi-aa so parabh gurmukh jaani-aa.

The Infinite, All-powerful Lord is the Creator, the Cause of causes; erasing the three-phased Maya, we merge in Him.

karan kaaran samrath apaaraa taribaDh mayt samaa-ee.

O Nanak, then, demerits are dissolved by merits; such are the Guru`s Teachings.

naanak avgan gunah samaanay aisee gurmat paa-ee.

My coming and going in reincarnation have ended; doubt and hesitation are gone.

aavan jaan rahay chookaa bholaa raam.

Conquering my ego, I have met the True Lord, and now I wear the robe of Truth.

ha-umai maar milay saachaa cholaa raam.

The Guru has rid me of egotism; my sorrow and suffering are dispelled.

ha-umai gur kho-ee pargat ho-ee chookay sog santaapai.

My light merges into the Light; I realize and understand my own self.

jotee andar jot samaanee aap pachhaataa aapai.

In this world of my parents` home, I am satisfied with the Shabad; at my in-laws` home, in the world beyond, I shall be pleasing to my Husband Lord.

pay-ee-arhai ghar sabad pateenee saahurrhai pir bhaanee.

O Nanak, the True Guru has united me in His Union; my dependence on people has ended.

naanak satgur mayl milaa-ee chookee kaan lokaanee.

I cherish and remember that Friend; the eyes of this soul-bride are filled with tears.

saar samaalay tin sajnaa munDh nain bharaydee.

The eyes of the soul-bride are filled with tears; I dwell upon Your Glorious Virtues. How can I meet my Beloved Lord God?

munDh nain bharaydee gun saaraydee ki-o parabh milaa pi-aaray.

I do not know the treacherous path, the way to You. How can I find You and cross over, O my Husband Lord?

maarag panth na jaana-o vikh-rhaa ki-o paa-ee-ai pir paaray.

Through the Shabad, the Word of the True Guru, the separated soul-bride meets with the Lord; I place my body and mind before You.

satgur sabdee milai vichhunnee tan man aagai raakhai.

O Nanak, the ambrosial tree bears the most delicious fruits; meeting with my Beloved, I taste the sweet essence.

naanak amrit birakh mahaa ras fali-aa mil pareetam ras chaakhai.

The Lord has called you to the Mansion of His Presence - do not delay!

mahal bulaa-irhee-ay bilam na keejai.

Night and day, imbued with His Love, you shall meet with Him with intuitive ease.

an-din rat-rhee-ay sahj mileejai.

In celestial peace and poise, you shall meet Him; do not harbor anger - subdue your proud self!

sukh sahj mileejai ros na keejai garab nivaar samaanee.

Imbued with Truth, I am united in His Union, while the self-willed manmukhs continue coming and going.

saachai raatee milai milaa-ee manmukh aavan jaanee.

When you dance, what veil covers you? Break the water pot, and be unattached.

jab naachee tab ghooghat kaisaa matukee forh niraaree.

O Nanak, realize your own self; as Gurmukh, contemplate the essence of reality.

naanak aapai aap pachhaanai gurmukh tat beechaaree.

Ang 1113, Guru Nanak Dev Ji :

Reflect on your own self, and so practice good conduct; chant the Name of the Lord as your self-discipline and meditation.

aachaar too veechaar aapay har naam sanjam jap tapo.

The Name of the Lord is your Companion, Friend and Dear Beloved; chant it, and meditate on it.

sakhaa sain pi-aar pareetam naam har kaa jap japo.

O my mind, remain steady and stable, and you will not have to endure beatings.

ay man mayri-aa too thir rahu chot na khaavhee raam.

O my mind, singing the Glorious Praises of the Lord, you shall merge into Him with intuitive ease.

ay man mayri-aa gun gaavahi sahj samaavahee raam.

Singing the Glorious Praises of the Lord, be happy. Apply the ointment of spiritual wisdom to your eyes.

gun gaa-ay raam rasaa-ay rasee-ah gur gi-aan anjan saarhay.

The Word of the Shabad is the lamp which illuminates the three worlds; it slaughters the five demons.

tarai lok deepak sabad chaanan panch doot sanghaarahay.

Quietening your fears, become fearless, and you shall cross over the impassible world ocean. Meeting the Guru, your affairs shall be resolved.

bhai kaat nirbha-o tareh dutar gur mili-ai kaaraj saar-ay.

O my mind, you shall be emancipated, when you eliminate your doubts.

ay man mayri-aa taa chhutsee jaa bharam chukaa-isee raam.

So gather the wealth and capital of the Name of the Lord, Har, Har; through the Word of the Guru`s Shabad, you shall realize its value.

Dhan sanch har har naam vakhar gur sabad bhaa-o pachhaanahay.

Filth shall be taken away, through the Immaculate Word of the Shabad; you shall know the Mansion of the Lord`s Presence, your true home.

mail parhar sabad nirmal mahal ghar sach jaanhay.

Through the Naam, you shall obtain honor, and come home. Eagerly drink in the Ambrosial Amrit.

pat naam paavahi ghar siDhaaveh jhol amrit pee raso.

Meditate on the Lord`s Name, and you shall obtain the sublime essence of the Shabad; by great good fortune, chant the Praises of the Lord.

har naam Dhi-aa-ee-ai sabad ras paa-ee-ai vadbhaag japee-ai har jaso.

O my mind, without a ladder, how will you climb up to the Temple of the Lord?

ay man mayri-aa bin pa-urhee-aa mandar ki-o charhai raam.

O my mind, without a boat, you shall not reach the other shore.

ay man mayri-aa bin bayrhee paar na ambrhai raam.

On that far shore is Your Beloved, Infinite Friend. Only your awareness of the Guru`s Shabad will carry you across.

paar saajan apaar pareetam gur sabad surat langhaava-ay.

Join the Saadh Sangat, the Company of the Holy, and you shall enjoy ecstasy; you shall not regret or repent later on.

mil saaDhsangat karahi ralee-aa fir na pachhotaava-ay.

Be Merciful, O Merciful True Lord God: please give me the Blessing of the Lord`s Name, and the Sangat, the Company of the Holy.

kar da-i-aa daan da-i-aal saachaa har naam sangat paava-o.

Nanak prays: please hear me, O my Beloved; instruct my mind through the Word of the Guru`s Shabad.

naanak pa-i-ampai sunhu pareetam gur sabad man sanjhaava-o.

Ang 1114

With clear and precise understanding, the Gurmukhs contemplate the Guru`s Shabad; each and every instant, they continually speak of the Lord.

bibayk buDh beechaar gurmukh gur sabad khin khin har nit chavay.

When the Gurmukh sits down, he chants the Lord`s Name. When the Gurmukh stands up, he chants the Lord`s Name, Har, Har.

jaa baheh gurmukh har naam boleh jaa kharhay gurmukh har har kahi-aa.

Ang 1123, Bhagat Kabir Ji

My mind is the bull, and meditation is the road; I have filled my packs with spiritual wisdom, and loaded them on the bull.
man kar bail surat kar paidaa gi-aan gon bhar daaree.

Says Kabeer, listen, O Saints: my merchandise has reached its destination!
kahat kabeer sunhu ray santahu nibhee khayp hamaaree.

You barbaric brute, with your primitive intellect - reverse your breath and turn it inward.
ree kalvaar gavaar moodh mat ulto pavan firaava-o.

Let your mind be intoxicated with the stream of Ambrosial Nectar which trickles down from the furnace of the Tenth Gate.
man matvaar mayr sar bhaathee amrit Dhaar chu-aava-o.

O Siblings of Destiny, call on the Lord.
bolhu bha-ee-aa raam kee duhaa-ee.

O Saints, drink in this wine forever; it is so difficult to obtain, and it quenches your thirst so easily. Pause
peevhu sant sadaa mat durlabh sehjay pi-aas bujhaa-ee. rahaa-o.

As many hearts as there are - in all of them, is His Ambrosial Nectar; as He pleases, He causes them to drink it in.
jaytay ghat amrit sabh hee meh bhaavai tiseh pee-aa-ee.

There are nine gates to the one city of the body; restrain your mind from escaping through them.
nagree aykai na-o darvaajay Dhaavat baraj rahaa-ee.

When the knot of the trikutee is untied, then the Tenth Gate opens up, and the mind is intoxicated, O Siblings of Destiny.
tarikutee chhootai dasvaa dar khoolHai taa man kheevaa bhaa-ee.

Ang 1129, Guru Amar Das Ji:

It is the innate nature of the mind to remain forever detached.

man kaa subhaa-o sadaa bairaagee.

The Detached, Dispassionate Lord dwells within all.

sabh meh vasai ateet anraagee.

Says Nanak, one who understands this mystery,

kahat naanak jo jaanai bhay-o.

becomes the embodiment of the Primal, Immaculate, Divine Lord God.|

aad purakh niranjan day-o.

Ang1147, Really simple guidance by Guru Arjan Dev Ji: :D

First, I gave up slandering others.

parathmay chhodee paraa-ee nindaa.

All the anxiety of my mind was dispelled.

utar ga-ee sabh man kee chindaa.

Greed and attachment were totally banished.

lobh moh sabh keeno door.

I see God ever-present, close at hand; I have become a great devotee.

param baisno parabh paykh hajoor.

Such a renunciate is very rare.

aiso ti-aagee virlaa ko-ay.

Such a humble servant chants the Name of the Lord, Har, Har.

har har naam japai jan so-ay. rahaa-o.

I have forsaken my egotistical intellect.

ahaN-buDh kaa chhodi-aa sang.

The love of sexual desire and anger has vanished.

kaam kroDh kaa utri-aa rang.

I meditate on the Naam, the Name of the Lord, Har, Har.

naam Dhi-aa-ay har har haray.

In the Company of the Holy, I am emancipated.

saaDh janaa kai sang nistaray.

Enemy and friend are all the same to me.

bairee meet ho-ay sammaan.

The Perfect Lord God is permeating all.

sarab meh pooran bhagvaan.

Accepting the Will of God, I have found peace.

parabh kee aagi-aa maan sukh paa-i-aa.

The Perfect Guru has implanted the Name of the Lord within me.

gur poorai har naam drirh-aa-i-aa.

That person, whom the Lord, in His Mercy, saves

kar kirpaa jis raakhai aap.

- that devotee chants and meditates on the Naam.

so-ee bhagat japai naam jaap.

That person, whose mind is illumined, and who obtains understanding through the Guru

man pargaas gur tay mat la-ee.

- says Nanak, he is totally fulfilled.

kaho naanak taa kee pooree pa-ee.

Edited by Sat1176

Ang 1159, Bhagat Kabir

I focus my meditation on my inner self, deep within.

nij pad oopar laago Dhi-aan.

The Name of the Sovereign Lord is my spiritual wisdom. Pause

raajaa raam naam moraa barahm gi-aan. rahaa-o.

In the first chakra, the root chakra, (Moolduaar is also known as navel where it is said a knot has been tied between the body and soul.) I have grasped the reins and tied them.

mool du-aarai banDhi-aa banDh.

I have firmly placed the moon above the sun.

rav oopar geh raakhi-aa chand.

The sun blazes forth at the western gate.

pachham du-aarai sooraj tapai.

Through the central channel of the Shushmanaa, it rises up above my head.

mayr dand sir oopar basai.

There is a stone at that western gate,

pascham du-aaray kee sil orh.

and above that stone, is another window.

tih sil oopar khirhkee a-or.

Above that window is the Tenth Gate.

khirhkee oopar dasvaa du-aar.

Says Kabeer, it has no end or limitation.

kahi kabeer taa kaa ant na paar.

Ang 1161, Bhagat Kabir Ji

How can the beautiful fortress (the mind) be conquered, O Siblings of Destiny?

ki-o leejai gadh bankaa bhaa-ee.

It has double walls and triple moats. Pause

dovar kot ar tayvar khaa-ee. rahaa-o.

It is defended by the five elements, the twenty-five categories, attachment, pride, jealousy and the awesomely powerful Maya.

paaNch pachees moh mad matsar aadee parbal maa-i-aa.

The poor mortal being does not have the strength to conquer it; what should I do now, O Lord?

jan gareeb ko jor na pahuchai kahaa kara-o raghuraa-i-aa.

Sexual desire is the window, pain and pleasure are the gate-keepers, virtue and sin are the gates.

kaam kivaaree dukh sukh darvaanee paap punn darvaajaa.

Anger is the great supreme commander, full of argument and strife, and the mind is the rebel king there.

kroDh parDhaan mahaa bad dundar tah man maavaasee raajaa.

Their armor is the pleasure of tastes and flavors, their helmets are worldly attachments; they take aim with their bows of corrupt intellect.

savaad sanaah top mamtaa ko kubuDh kamaan chadhaa-ee.

The greed that fills their hearts is the arrow; with these things, their fortress is impregnable.

tisnaa teer rahay ghat bheetar i-o gadh lee-o na jaa-ee.

But I have made divine love the fuse, and deep meditation the bomb; I have launched the rocket of spiritual wisdom.

paraym paleetaa surat havaa-ee golaa gi-aan chalaa-i-aa.

The fire of God is lit by intuition (navel pumping is said to ignite barahm agan + waheguru jaap), and with one shot, the fortress is taken.

barahm agan sehjay parjaalee aykeh chot sijhaa-i-aa.

Taking truth and contentment with me, I begin the battle and storm both the gates.

sat santokh lai larnay laagaa toray du-ay darvaajaa.

In the Saadh Sangat, the Company of the Holy, and by Guru`s Grace, I have captured the king of the fortress.

saaDhsangat ar gur kee kirpaa tay pakri-o gadh ko raajaa.

With the army of God`s devotees, and Shakti, the power of meditation, I have snapped the noose of the fear of death.

bhagvat bheer sakat simran kee katee kaal bhai faasee.

Slave Kabeer has climbed to the top of the fortress; I have obtained the eternal, imperishable domain.

daas kameer charhHi-o garhH oopar raaj lee-o abhinaasee.

Ang 1162, Bhagat Kabir Ji

God constructed a fortress, inaccessible and unreachable, in which He dwells.

agam darugam garh rachi-o baas.

There, His Divine Light radiates forth.

jaa meh jot karay pargaas.

Lightning blazes, and bliss prevails there,

bijulee chamkai ho-ay anand.

where the Eternally Young Lord God abides.

jih pa-orhHay parabh baal gobind.

This soul is lovingly attuned to the Lord`s Name.

ih jee-o raam naam liv laagai.

It is saved from old age and death, and its doubt runs away. Pause

jaraa maran chhootai bharam bhaagai. rahaa-o.

Those who believe in high and low social classes,

abran baran si-o man hee pareet.

only sing songs and chants of egotism.

ha-umai gaavan gaavahi geet.

The Unstruck Sound-current of the Shabad, the Word of God, resounds in that place,

anhad sabad hot jhunkaar.

where the Supreme Lord God abides.

jih pa-orhHay parabh saree gopaal.

He creates planets, solar systems and galaxies;

khandal mandal mandal mandaa.

He destroys the three worlds, the three gods and the three qualities.

tari-a asthaan teen tari-a khanda.

The Inaccessible and Unfathomable Lord God dwells in the heart.

agam agochar rahi-aa abh ant.

The Lord shines forth in the plantain flower and the sunshine.

kadlee puhap Dhoop pargaas.

He dwells in the pollen of the lotus flower.

raj pankaj meh lee-o nivaas.

The Lord`s secret is within the twelve petals of the heart-lotus.

du-aadas dal abh antar mant.

The Supreme Lord, the Lord of Lakshmi dwells there.

jah pa-urhay saree kamlaa kant.

He is like the sky, stretching across the lower, upper and middle realms.

araDh uraDh mukh laago kaas.

In the profoundly silent celestial realm, He radiates forth.

sunn mandal meh kar pargaas.

Neither the sun nor the moon are there,

oohaaN sooraj naahee chand.

but the Primal Immaculate Lord celebrates there.

aad niranjan karai anand.

Know that He is in the universe, and in the body as well.

so barahmand pind so jaan.

Take your cleansing bath in the Mansarovar Lake.

maan sarovar kar isnaan.

Chant "Sohang" - "He is me."

sohaN so jaa ka-o hai jaap.

He is not affected by either virtue or vice.

jaa ka-o lipat na ho-ay punn ar paap.

Remain intuitively absorbed in the celestial void.

sunn sahj meh rahi-o samaa-ay.

One who knows the Lord in the mind

man maDhay jaanai jay ko-ay.

- whatever he says, comes to pass.

jo bolai so aapai ho-ay.

One who firmly implants the Lord`s Divine Light, and His Mantra within the mind

jot mantar man asthir karai.

- says Kabeer, such a mortal crosses over to the other side.

kahi kabeer so paraanee tarai.

Millions of suns shine for Him,

kot soor jaa kai pargaas.

Millions of moons twinkle in the sky.

kot chandarmay karahi charaak.

Millions of charitable feasts are held in His Court,

kot jag jaa kai darbaar.

and millions of celestial singers celebrate His victory.

ganDharab kot karahi jaikaar.

Edited by Sat1176

Ang 1168, Guru Nanak Dev Ji :

Whoever sees the Lord`s Creative Power with his eyes, and hears the Guru`s Bani with his ears, and utters the True Name with his mouth,

akhee kudrat kannee banee mukh aakhan sach naam.

attains the perfect wealth of honor, and intuitively focuses his meditation on the Lord.

pat kaa Dhan pooraa ho-aa laagaa sahj Dhi-aan.

Ang 1233, Guru Amar Das Ji:

O my mind, the Name of the Lord is glorious and great.

man mayray har kai naam vadaa-ee.

I know of none, other than the Lord; through the Lord`s Name, I have attained liberation and emancipation. Pause

har bin avar na jaanaa ko-ee har kai naam mukat gat paa-ee. rahaa-o.

Through the Word of the Shabad, I am lovingly attuned to the Lord, the Destroyer of fear, the Destroyer of the Messenger of Death.

sabad bha-o bhanjan jamkaal nikhanjan har saytee liv laa-ee.

As Gurmukh, I have realized the Lord, the Giver of peace; I remain intuitively absorbed in Him.

har sukh-daata gurmukh jaataa sehjay rahi-aa samaa-ee.

The Immaculate Name of the Lord is the food of His devotees; they wear the glory of devotional worship.

bhagtaaN kaa bhojan har naam niranjan painHan bhagat badaa-ee.

They abide in the home of their inner beings, and they serve the Lord forever; they are honored in the Court of the Lord.

nij ghar vaasaa sadaa har sayvan har dar sobhaa paa-ee.

The intellect of the self-willed manmukh is false; his mind wavers and wobbles, and he cannot speak the Unspoken Speech.

manmukh buDh kaachee manoo-aa dolai akath na kathai kahaanee.

Following the Guru`s Teachings, the Eternal Unchanging Lord abides within the mind; the True Word of His Bani is Ambrosial Nectar.

gurmat nihchal har man vasi-aa amrit saachee baanee.

The Shabad calms the turbulent waves of the mind; the tongue is intuively imbued with peace.

man kay tarang sabad nivaaray rasnaa sahj subhaa-ee.

So remain united forever with your True Guru, who is lovingly attuned to the Lord.

satgur mil rahee-ai sad apunay jin har saytee liv laa-ee.

If the mortal dies in the Shabad, then he is liberated; he focuses his consciousness on the Lord`s Feet.

man sabad marai taa mukto hovai har charnee chit laa-ee.

The Lord is an Ocean; His Water is Forever Pure. Whoever bathes in it is intuitively imbued with peace.

har sar saagar sadaa jal nirmal naavai sahj subhaa-ee.

Those who contemplate the Shabad are forever imbued with His Love; their egotism and desires are subdued.

sabad veechaar sadaa rang raatay ha-umai tarisnaa maaree.

The Pure, Unattached Lord permeates their inner beings; the Lord, the Supreme Soul, is pervading all.

antar nihkayval har ravi-aa sabh aatam raam muraaree.

Your humble servants serve You, O Lord; those who are imbued with the Truth are pleasing to Your Mind.

sayvak sayv rahay sach raatay jo tayrai man bhaanay.

Those who are involved in duality do not find the Mansion of the Lord`s Presence; caught in the false nature of the world, they do not discriminate between merits and demerits.

dubiDhaa mahal na paavai jag jhoothee gun avgan na pachhaanay.

When the Lord merges us into Himself, we speak the Unspoken Speech; True is the Shabad, and True is the Word of His Bani.

aapay mayl la-ay akath kathee-ai sach sabad sach banee.

O Nanak, the true people are absorbed in the Truth; they chant the Name of the Lord.

naanak saachay sach samaanay har kaa naam vakhaanee.

Ang 1234

Through the True Word of the Shabad, the celestial melody wells up, and the mind is lovingly focused on the True Lord.

saachai sabad sahj Dhun upjai man saachai liv laa-ee.

The Immaculate Naam, the Name of the Inaccessible and Unfathomable Lord, abides in the mind of the Gurmukh.

agam agochar naam niranjan gurmukh man vasaa-ee.

The whole world is contained in the One Lord. How rare are those who understand the One Lord.

aykas meh sabh jagto vartai virlaa ayk pachhaanai.

One who dies in the Shabad comes to know everything; night and day, he realizes the One Lord.

sabad marai taa sabh kichh soojhai an-din ayko jaanai.

That humble being, upon whom the Lord casts His Glance of Grace, understands. Nothing else can be said.

jis no nadar karay so-ee jan boojhai hor kahnaa kathan na jaa-ee.

O Nanak, those who are imbued with the Naam are forever detached from the world; they are lovingly attuned to the One Word of the Shabad.

naanak naam ratay sadaa bairaagee ayk sabad liv laa-ee.

O my mind, the Speech of the Lord is unspoken.

man mayray har kee akath kahaanee.

That humble being who is blessed by the Lord`s Glance of Grace, obtains it. How rare is that Gurmukh who understands. ||1||Pause||

har nadar karay so-ee jan paa-ay gurmukh virlai jaanee. ||1|| rahaa-o.

The Lord is Deep, Profound and Unfathomable, the Ocean of Excellence; He is realized through the Word of the Guru`s Shabad.

har gahir gambheer gunee gaheer gur kai sabad pachhaani-aa.

Mortals do their deeds in all sorts of ways, in the love of duality; but without the Shabad, they are insane.

baho biDh karam karahi bhaa-ay doojai bin sabdai ba-uraani-aa.

That humble being who bathes in the Lord`s Name becomes immaculate; he never becomes polluted again.

har naam naavai so-ee jan nirmal fir mailaa mool na ho-ee.

Without the Name, the whole world is polluted; wandering in duality, it loses its honor.

naam binaa sabh jag hai mailaa doojai bharam pat kho-ee.

What should I grasp? What should I gather up or leave behind? I do not know.

ki-aa darirh-aaN ki-aa sangrahi ti-aagee mai taa boojh na paa-ee.

O Dear Lord, Your Name is the Help and Support of those whom You bless with Your kindness and compassion.

hohi da-i-aal kirpaa kar har jee-o naamo ho-ay sakhaa-ee.

The True Lord is the True Giver, the Architect of Destiny; as He pleases, He links mortals to the Name.

sachaa sach daataa karam biDhaataa jis bhaavai tis naa-ay laa-ay.

He alone comes to understand, who enters the Guru`s Gate, whom the Lord Himself instructs.

guroo du-aarai so-ee boojhai jis no aap bujhaa-ay.

Even gazing upon the wonders of the Lord, this mind does not think of Him. The world comes and goes in reincarnation.

daykh bismaad ih man nahee chaytay aavaa ga-on sansaaraa.

Serving the True Guru, the mortal comes to understand, and finds the Door of Salvation.

satgur sayvay so-ee boojhai paa-ay mokh du-aaraa.

Those who understand the Lord`s Court, never suffer separation from him. The True Guru has imparted this understanding.

jinH dar soojhai say kaday na vigaarheh satgur boojh bujhaa-ee.

They practice truth, self-restraint and good deeds; their comings and goings are ended.

sach sanjam karnee kirat kamaaveh aavan jaan rahaa-ee.

In the Court of the True Lord, they practice Truth. The Gurmukhs take the Support of the True Lord.

say dar saachai saach kamaaveh jin gurmukh saach aDhaaraa.

The self-willed manmukhs wander, lost in doubt and duality. They do not know how to contemplate the Lord.

manmukh doojai bharam bhulaa-ay naa boojheh veechaaraa.

He Himself is the Gurmukh, and He Himself gives; He Himself creates and beholds.

aapay gurmukh aapay dayvai aapay kar kar vaykhai.

O Nanak, those humble beings are approved, whose honor the Lord Himself accepts.

naanak say jan thaa-ay pa-ay hai jin kee pat paavai laykhai.

Ang 1237, Guru Angad Dev Ji

The key of the Guru opens the lock of attachment, in the house of the mind, under the roof of the body. (under the crown of the head???)

gur kunjee paahoo nival man kothaa tan chhat.

O Nanak, without the Guru, the door of the mind cannot be opened. No one else holds the key in hand.

naanak gur bin man kaa taak na ugh-rhai avar na kunjee hath.

ਗੁਰੁ ਕੁੰਜੀ ਪਾਹੂ ਨਿਵਲੁ ਮਨੁ ਕੋਠਾ ਤਨੁ ਛਤਿ ॥

Guru is the key, ignorance is the lock, the mind is the house, the body is the ceiling.

ਨਾਨਕ ਗੁਰ ਬਿਨੁ ਮਨ ਕਾ ਤਾਕੁ ਨ ਉਘੜੈ ਅਵਰ ਨ ਕੁੰਜੀ ਹਥਿ ॥੧॥

Guru Angad Dev ji says without the guru (the key to the lock of ignorance) the door to the mind does not open. No one else has the key.

It's not talking about a physical location on the body. It's comparing the human to a house, where the room inside (the mind) is enclosed by the body. And this house is locked because the individual is engrossed in maya, is ignorant. Only a guru can enlighten and take away the ignorance, and teach you how to live in maya like a lotus in the mud.

This "Key" has got me thinking... :unsure: Just checked all my notes for all pangtis with the word key

The key is in the hands of the True Guru; no one else can open this door. By perfect destiny, He is met.

satgur hath kunjee horat dar khulai naahee gur poorai bhaag milaavani-aa.

One could also link

Air is the Guru, Water is the Father, and Earth is the Great Mother of all.

pavan guroo paanee pitaa maataa Dharat mahat.

"What is the root, the source of all? What teachings hold for these times?

kavan mool kavan mat vaylaa.

Who is your guru? Whose disciple are you?

tayraa kavan guroo jis kaa too chaylaa.

What is that speech, by which you remain unattached?

kavan kathaa lay rahhu niraalay.

From the air came the beginning. This is the age of the True Guru`s Teachings.

pavan arambh satgur mat vaylaa.

The Shabad is the Guru, upon whom I lovingly focus my consciousness; I am the chaylaa, the disciple.

sabad guroo surat Dhun chaylaa.

Speaking the Unspoken Speech, I remain unattached.

akath kathaa lay raha-o niraalaa.

The one lives together with the other in the same house, but they do not talk to one another, O Siblings of Destiny.

aykaa sangat ikat garihi bastay mil baat na kartay bhaa-ee.

Without the one substance, the five are miserable; that substance is in the unapproachable place.

ayk basat bin panch duhaylay oh basat agochar thaa-ee.

And the one whose home it is, has locked it up, and given the key to the Guru.

jis kaa garihu tin dee-aa taalaa kunjee gur sa-upaa-ee.

He made the breath of life the watchman, with lock and key to protect it (The key and the lock are kept in the breath); the Creator did this in no time at all.

kunjee kulaf praan kar raakhae karathae baar n laaee

When the key is inserted in the Tenth Gate,

dasvai du-aar kunchee jab deejai.

then the Blessed Vision of the Merciful Lord`s Darshan is seen.

ta-o da-i-aal ko darsan keejai.

In the Word of the Guru`s Bani is the wealth of the unstruck sound current.

anhad banee poonjee.

The Saints hold the key to it in their hands.

santan hath raakhee koonjee.

They sit there, in the cave of deep Samaadhi;

sunn samaaDh gufaa tah aasan.

the unique, perfect Lord God dwells there.

kayval barahm pooran tah baasan.

Is the key the air/breath or is it in the shabad or both together? :rolleyes:

Waheguru sauji buckshan, so can figure this out.

Edited by Sat1176

The key is the guru and his bani (which are one and the same "bani guru guru hai bani, vich bani amrit sare"), and practice of the bani, which would be done through meditation hence the shabad by Bhagat Kabir: kunjee kulaf praan kar raakhae karathae baar n laaee the breath is the key that pierces and opens the lock, chakras. But only when it is guided by bani. Everyone breathes but they don't become enlightened by just breathing.

Ang 1237.

First Mehl:

mehlaa 1.

He is not won over by music, songs or the Vedas.

na bheejai raagee naadee bayd.

He is not won over by intuitive wisdom, meditation or Yoga.

na bheejai surtee gi-aanee jog.

He is not won over by feeling sad and depressed forever.

na bheejai sogee keetai roj.

He is not won over by beauty, wealth and pleasures.

na bheejai roopeeN maaleeN rang.

He is not won over by wandering naked at sacred shrines.

na bheejai tirath bhavi-ai admin cut.

He is not won over by giving donations in charity.

na bheejai daateeN keetai punn.

He is not won over by living alone in the wilderness.

na bheejai baahar baithi-aa sunn.

He is not won over by fighting and dying as a warrior in battle.

na bheejai bhayrh mareh bhirh soor.

He is not won over by becoming the dust of the masses.

na bheejai kaytay hoveh Dhoorh.

The account is written of the loves of the mind.

laykhaa likee-ai man kai bhaa-ay.

O Nanak, the Lord is won over only by His Name.

naanak bheejai saachai naa-ay.

Ang 1238

He sends out the various created beings, and he calls back the various created beings again.

jinas thaap jee-aaN ka-o bhayjai jinas thaap lai jaavai.

He himself establishes, and He Himself disestablishes. He fashions them in various forms.

aapay thaap uthaapai aapay aytay vays karaavai.

And all the human beings who wander around as beggars, He Himself gives in charity to them.

jaytay jee-a fireh a-uDhootee aapay bhikhi-aa paavai.

As it is recorded, the mortals speak, and as it is recorded, they walk. So why put on all this show?

laykhai bolan laykhai chalan kaa-it keecheh daavay.

This is the basis of intelligence; this is certified and approved. Nanak speaks and proclaims it.

mool mat parvaanaa ayho naanak aakh sunaa-ay.

By past actions, each being is judged; what else can anyone say?

karnee upar ho-ay tapaavas jay ko kahai kahaa-ay.

The Guru`s Word makes the drama play itself out. Through virtue, this becomes evident.

gurmukh chalat rachaa-i-on gun pargatee aa-i-aa.

Whoever utters the Word of the Guru`s Bani - the Lord is enshrined in his mind.

gurbaanee sad uchrai har man vasaa-i-aa.

Maya`s power is gone, and doubt is eradicated; awaken to the Light of the Lord.

sakat ga-ee bharam kati-aa siv jot jagaa-i-aa.

Those who hold onto goodness as their treasure meet the Guru, the Primal Being.

jin kai potai punn hai gur purakh milaa-i-aa.

O Nanak, they are intuitively absorbed and blended into the Name of the Lord.

naanak sehjay mil rahay har naam samaa-i-aa.

Guru Angad Dev Ji:

The merchants come from the Banker; He sends the account of their destiny with them.

saah chalay vanjaari-aa likhi-aa dayvai naal.

On the basis of their accounts, He issues the Hukam of His Command, and they are left to take care of their merchandise.

likhay upar hukam ho-ay la-ee-ai vasat samHaal.

The merchants have purchased their merchandise and packed up their cargo.

vasat la-ee vanjaara-ee vakhar baDhaa paa-ay.

Some depart after having earned a good profit, while others leave, having lost their investment altogether.

kay-ee laahaa lai chalay ik chalay mool gavaa-ay.

No one asks to have less; who should be celebrated?

thorhaa kinai na mangi-o kis kahee-ai saabaas.

The Lord casts His Glance of Grace, O Nanak, upon those who have preserved their capital investment.

nadar tinaa ka-o naankaa je saabat laa-ay raas.

Guru Nanak Dev Ji

The self-willed manmukh wanders in duality, lured and enticed by duality.

manmukh doojaa bharam hai doojai lobhaa-i-aa.

He practices falsehood and deception, telling lies.

koorh kapat kamaavday koorho aalaa-i-aa.

Love and attachment to children and spouse is total misery and pain.

putar kalatar moh hayt hai sabh dukh sabaa-i-aa.

He is gagged and bound at the door of the Messenger of Death; he dies, and wanders lost in reincarnation.

jam dar baDhay maaree-ah bharmeh bharmaa-i-aa.

The self-willed manmukh wastes his life; Nanak loves the Lord.

manmukh janam gavaa-i-aa naanak har bhaa-i-aa.

Those who are blessed with the glorious greatness of Your Name - their minds are imbued with Your Love.

jin vadi-aa-ee tayray naam kee tay ratay man maahi.

O Nanak, there is only One Ambrosial Nectar; there is no other nectar at all.

naanak amrit ayk hai doojaa amrit naahi.

O Nanak, the Ambrosial Nectar is obtained within the mind, by Guru`s Grace.

naanak amrit manai maahi paa-ee-ai gur parsaad.

They alone drink it in with love, who have such pre-ordained destiny.

tinHee peetaa rang si-o jinH ka-o likhi-aa aad.

Ang 1239, Guru Angad Dev Ji:

The Name of the Lord is a treasure. Serving it, peace is obtained.

har kaa naam niDhaan hai sayvi-ai sukh paa-ee.

I chant the Name of the Immaculate Lord, so that I may go home with honor.

naam niranjan uchraaN pat si-o ghar jaaN-ee.

The Word of the Gurmukh is the Naam; I enshrine the Naam within my heart.

gurmukh banee naam hai naam ridai vasaa-ee.

The bird of the intellect comes under one`s control, by meditating on the True Guru.

mat pankhayroo vas ho-ay satguroo Dhi-aa-eeN.

O Nanak, if the Lord becomes merciful, the mortal lovingly tunes in to the Naam.

naanak aap da-i-aal ho-ay naamay liv laa-ee.

Those whom the Lord blesses with His Praises, are the true keepers of the treasure.

sifat jinaa ka-o bakhsee-ai say-ee potaydaar.

Those who are blessed with the key - they alone receive the treasure.

kunjee jin ka-o ditee-aa tinHaa milay bhandaar.

That treasure, from which virtue wells up - that treasure is approved.

jah bhandaaree hoo gun niklahi tay kee-ah parvaan.

Those who are blessed by His Glance of Grace, O Nanak, bear the Insignia of the Naam.

nadar tinHaa ka-o naankaa naam jinHaa neesaan.

Guru Nanak Dev Ji

O Nanak, the weight is weighed out, when the soul is placed on the scale.

naanak tulee-ah tol jay jee-o pichhai paa-ee-ai.

Nothing is equal to speaking of the One, who perfectly unites us with the Perfect Lord.

ikas na pujeh bol jay pooray pooraa kar milai.

To call Him glorious and great carries such a heavy weight.

vadaa aakhan bhaaraa tol.

Other intellectualisms are lightweight; other words are lightweight as well.

hor ha-ulee matee ha-ulay bol.

Ang 1240, Guru Nanak Dev Ji

It is difficult to chant it; it is difficult to listen to it. It cannot be chanted with the mouth.

aakhan a-ukhaa sunan a-ukhaa aakh na jaapee aakh.

Some speak with their mouths and chant the Word of the Shabad - the low and the high, day and night.

ik aakh aakhahi sabad bhaakhahi araDh uraDh din raat.

If He were something, then He would be visible. His form and state cannot be seen.

jay kihu ho-ay ta kihu disai jaapai roop na jaat.

The Creator Lord does all deeds; He is established in the hearts of the high and the low.

sabh kaaran kartaa karay ghat a-ughat ghat thaap.

Hearing the Name, one is blessed with purity and self-control, and the Messenger of Death will not draw near.

naa-ay suni-ai such sanjamo jam nayrh na aavai.

Hearing the Name, the heart is illumined, and darkness is dispelled.

naa-ay suni-ai ghat chaannaa aanHayr gavaavai.

Hearing the Name, one comes to understand his own self, and the profit of the Name is obtained.

naa-ay suni-ai aap bujhee-ai laahaa naa-o paavai.

Hearing the Name, sins are eradicated, and one meets the Immaculate True Lord.

naa-ay suni-ai paap katee-ah nirmal sach paavai.

O Nanak, hearing the Name, one`s face becomes radiant. As Gurmukh, meditate on the Name.

naanak naa-ay suni-ai mukh ujlay naa-o gurmukh Dhi-aavai.

1244 Guru Raam Das Ji

Peace and tranquility fill the heart of the Gurmukh; the Name wells up within them.

gurmukh hirdai saaNt hai naa-o ugav aa-i-aa.

Chanting and meditation, penance and self-discipline, and bathing at sacred shrines of pilgrimage - the merits of these come by pleasing my God.

jap tap tirath sanjam karay mayray parabh bhaa-i-aa.

So serve the Lord with a pure heart; singing His Glorious Praises, you shall be embellished and exalted.

hirdaa suDh har sayvday soheh gun gaa-i-aa.

My Dear Lord is pleased by this; he carries the Gurmukh across.

mayray har jee-o ayvai bhaavdaa gurmukh taraa-i-aa.

O Nanak, the Gurmukh is merged with the Lord; he is embellished in His Court.

naanak gurmukh mayli-an har dar sohaa-i-aa.

Ang 1245, Guru Amar Das Ji:

On the ninth day of the month, make a vow to speak the Truth, (think this might be reference to naam not just verbally speaking the truth, because if you constantly recite naam you have no time to think of anything else plus your mind will become very still and feelings in the next line won't arise.)

na-umee naym sach jay karai.

and your sexual desire, anger and desire shall be eaten up.

kaam kroDh tarisnaa uchrai.

On the tenth day, regulate your ten doors; on the eleventh day, know that the Lord is One.

dasmee dasay du-aar jay thaakai aykaadasee ayk kar jaanai.

On the twelfth day, the five thieves are subdued, and then, O Nanak, the mind is pleased and appeased.

du-aadasee panch vasgat kar raakhai ta-o naanak man maanai.

Observe such a fast as this, O Pandit, O religious scholar; of what use are all the other teachings?

aisaa varat raheejai paaday hor bahut sikh ki-aa deejai.

Ang 1246, Guru Nanak Dev ji:

Those mortals whose minds are like deep dark pits do not understand the purpose of life, even when it is explained to them.

manhu je anDhay koop kahi-aa birad na jaananHee.

Their minds are blind, and their heart-lotuses are upside-down; they look totally ugly.

man anDhai ooNDhai kaval disniH kharay karoop.

Some know how to speak, and understand what they are told. They are wise and beautiful.

ik kahi jaaneh kahi-aa bujheh tay nar sugharh saroop.

Some do not understand about the Sound-current of the Naad or the Vedas, music, virtue or vice.

iknaa naad na bayd na gee-a ras ras kas na jaanant.

Some are not blessed with understanding, intelligence, or sublime intellect; they do not grasp the mystery of God`s Word.

iknaa suDh na buDh na akal sar akhar kaa bhay-o na laahant.

O Nanak, they are donkeys; they are very proud of themselves, but they have no virtues at all.

naanak say nar asal khar je bin gun garab karant.

To the Gurmukh, everything is sacred: wealth, property, Maya.

gurmukh sabh pavit hai Dhan sampai maa-i-aa.

Those who spend the wealth of the Lord find peace through giving.

har arath jo kharchaday dayNday sukh paa-i-aa.

Those who meditate on the Lord`s Name shall never be deprived.

jo har naam Dhi-aa-iday tin tot na aa-i-aa.

The Gurmukhs come to see the Lord, and leave behind the things of Maya.

gurmukhaaN nadree aavdaa maa-i-aa sut paa-i-aa.

O Nanak, the devotees do not think of anything else; they are absorbed in the Name of the Lord.

naanak bhagtaaN hor chit na aavee har naam samaa-i-aa.

Guru Amar Das Ji

The Pandits, the religious scholars and the silent sages read and recite until they get tired. They wander through foreign lands in their religious robes, until they are exhausted.

parhH parhH pandit monee thakay daysantar bhav thakay bhaykh-Dhaaree.

In love with duality, they never receive the Name. Held in the grasp of pain, they suffer terribly.

doojai bhaa-ay naa-o kaday na paa-in dukh laagaa at bhaaree.

The blind fools serve the three gunas, the three dispositions; they deal only with Maya.

moorakh anDhay tarai gun sayveh maa-i-aa kai bi-uhaaree.

With deception in their hearts, the fools read sacred texts to fill their bellies.

andar kapat udar bharan kai taa-ee paath parheh gaavaaree.

One who serves the True Guru finds peace; he eradicates egotism from within.

satgur sayvay so sukh paa-ay jin ha-umai vichahu maaree.

O Nanak, there is One Name to chant and dwell on; how rare are those who reflect on this and understand.

naanak parh-naa gunnaa ik naa-o hai boojhai ko beechaaree.

1247, Guru Amar Das Ji

She sleeps in intuitive peace and poise, absorbed in the Word of the Shabad. (Wow - to even hear the shabad when you'er asleep)

sehjay sukh sutee sabad samaa-ay.

God hugs her close in His Embrace, and merges her into Himself.

aapay parabh mayl la-ee gal laa-ay.

Duality is eradicated with intuitive ease.

dubiDhaa chookee sahj subhaa-ay.

The Naam comes to abide in her mind.

antar naam vasi-aa man aa-ay.

He hugs close in His Embrace those who shatter and reform their beings.

say kanth laa-ay je bhann gharhaa-ay.

O Nanak, those who are predestined to meet Him, come and meet Him now.

naanak jo Dhur milay say hun aan milaa-ay.

Those who praise the Naam, and believe in the Naam, are eternally stable in this world.

naam salaahan naam man asthir jag so-ee.

Within their hearts, they dwell on the Lord, and nothing else at all.

hirdai har har chitvai doojaa nahee ko-ee.

With each and every hair, they chant the Lord`s Name, each and every instant, the Lord. (I have also heard that rom rom can also mean with each pulse/heartbeat, not to say that once it activated it wont burst out of all your pores.)

rom rom har uchrai khin khin har so-ee.

The birth of the Gurmukh is fruitful and certified; pure and unstained, his filth is washed away.

gurmukh janam sakaarthaa nirmal mal kho-ee.

O Nanak, meditating on the Lord of eternal life, the status of immortality is obtained.

naanak jeevdaa purakh Dhi-aa-i-aa amraa pad ho-ee.

Guru Amar Das Ji:

As long as his mind is disturbed by waves (thoughts), he is caught in ego and egotistical pride.

jichar ih man lahree vich hai ha-umai bahut ahaNkaar.

He does not find the taste of the Shabad, and he does not embrace love for the Name.

sabdai saad na aavee naam na lagai pi-aar.

His service is not accepted; worrying and worrying, he wastes away in misery.

sayvaa thaa-ay na pav-ee tis kee khap khap ho-ay khu-aar.

O Nanak, he alone is called a selfless servant, who cuts off his head, and offers it to the Lord.

naanak sayvak so-ee aakhee-ai jo sir Dharay utaar.

He accepts the Will of the True Guru, and enshrines the Shabad within his heart.

satgur kaa bhaanaa man la-ay sabad rakhai ur Dhaar.

Edited by Sat1176

Ang 1249, Guru Amar Das Ji

In hope, there is very great pain; the self-willed manmukh focuses his consciousness on it.

aasaa vich at dukh ghanaa manmukh chit laa-i-aa.

The Gurmukhs become desireless, and attain supreme peace.

gurmukh bha-ay niraas param sukh paa-i-aa.

In the midst of their household, they remain detached; they are lovingly attuned to the Detached Lord.

vichay girah udaas alipat liv laa-i-aa.

Sorrow and separation do not cling to them at all. They are pleased with the Lord`s Will.

onaa sog vijog na vi-aapa-ee har bhaanaa bhaa-i-aa.

O Nanak, they remain forever immersed in the Primal Lord, who blends them with Himself.

naanak har saytee sadaa rav rahay Dhur la-ay milaa-i-aa.

This topic has been on my mind for the past few days. How does one effectively strike the right balance between family and detachment? A gristi still has responsibilities and duties towards a family. How should one live in but still live above moh? Both my mother and wife are extremely attached to me to the stage I'm actually finding them pulling me back down into the pit that I'm trying so hard to climb out off. The mother is feeling separation from her son and longs for that company she once had. Try telling your partner that the love you have for her is slowly changing and being directed towards Waheguru.See what reaction you get... lol, I'm finding it difficult to deal with two pulling at me and in a couple of months a little one on the way will also be requiring love and attention. My wife is very much noticing that I'm becoming more and more distant day by day. I'm not at all filled with excitement or emotion about the immanent arrival of the latest addition to our family. She is getting annoyed that I'm always reading or doing simran. She is moaning I'm being pulled in too deep. I don't want to participate in idle useless conversation and be drawn into gossip etc. I have tried adopting the vision of thought to see the light of waheguru in all and not think of them as body, but it is very difficult when the other party doesn't think in that way. You can try and restrain yourself, to say I will not argue with waheguru, I will not say anything nasty to waheguru, I will not hurt waheguru's feelings but it has to be two way otherwise you get walked all over. Now I'm slowly beginning to understand why mahapursh leave all behind and live in isolation for a while...

I've read and heard the pangtis that state no one is truly related to you and no one will go with you when you die. These have struck a cord deep within my inner mind and I now I see others (even my own family) differently with some indescribable sense of detachment. At times I just have to put on a fake show like I am playing a character but it is not really me... :unsure:

Edited by Sat1176

Sat Sri Akal Sat1176 bhaji,

I can feel what you're feeling, sometime back I too had this feeling for very short time. And I would like to share with you what I've read and listen from Sants. I'm nowhere near your level nor I do follow the following honestly. Sometimes, I just gets fed up with children and all that, you know. But I still think that the following might help you.

Looking after our family members is like a work that was given to us by God; if we are not able to give proper love to all family members, not able to give direction to our children; then we're doing something for which God may be unhappy with us. Non-attachment does NOT mean to stop loving (unselfish love). Have you ever imagined going to see a play/movie where the characters do not do their roles (as assigned by the director) perfectly? How would you rate that actor who does not play his character in the movie according to the directions?

Same way God is the director of our life's play and HE does expects us to play as per HIS direction. When HE sees that we're playing our part perfectly along with remembering HIM, then HE will move us closer to HIM.

I want to write more here, but do NOT want to take all the space and time. Therefore, I would love to point out the following 2 links to understand this. I request you to please read the following 2 topics as both have plenty of examples.

5 Vikar (Faults of Mind): http://satgur.net/Articles/Spiritual/24

Principles of Success: http://satgur.net/Articles/Spiritual/9