Bumped Into Fauja Singh The Marathon Running Baba The Other Day

dalsingh101

I was waiting on a train platform in London when Fauja Singh (the marathon runner - see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fauja_Singh), appeared out of nowhere and asked me if the next train was going so and so. I told him no and that the next one will go where he wants.

When we got on the next train he sat by me and the grabbed my copy of The Walking Dead I was reading. This is a graphic novel, which is like a comic for grown ups incase you are wondering. He then proceeded to tell me about how he has run all over the globe and reeled of a list of countries, all the while thumbing through my book. (He started at the back and made his way to the beginning - I was just thankful this episode didn't have any sexual material in it, which would have embarrased me...lol).

Afterwards he asked (in Panjabi), "Why hasn't the book got any writing, it's all made up of pictures?"

I said "It does, look!" and showed him speech bubbles with text.

He said "What is that, the people's names?"

I replied "No, it's the speech, you know, dialog."

He looked at me like I was simpleton and then got off.

Before he left I asked him about how he can do marathons at his age. I couldn't do a half marathon myself. He said you must steadily increase your distances over time and to not drink beer (it shortens your breathe apparently) and not eat meat.

What a character huh!

Edited by dalsingh101

This is a graphic novel, which is like a comic for grown ups incase you are wondering.

LOL

Some good ones to look out for: Neil Gaiman's Sandman, Alan Moore's Watchmen, Grant Morrison's The Invisibles, Preacher, and Constantine.

Great story by the way!

K.

LOL

Some good ones to look out for: Neil Gaiman's Sandman, Alan Moore's Watchmen, Grant Morrison's The Invisibles, Preacher, and Constantine.

Great story by the way!

K.

Thanks for that. I picked up Spiegelman's Maus the other day. It won a Pulizter prize so should be good. I try and avoid 'superhero' stuff unless it's Bat Man! lol

Thanks for that. I picked up Spiegelman's Maus the other day. It won a Pulizter prize so should be good. I try and avoid 'superhero' stuff unless it's Bat Man! lol

Persepolis is neat also. None of the other ones I mentioned are superhero graphic novels. The Invisibles for example is about postmodernism, punk, mysticism, the illusory nature of concensus reality, and about undermining that great temple of maya, the status quo.

K.

• 11 years later...
On 1/30/2010 at 9:49 AM, dalsingh101 said:

I was waiting on a train platform in London when Fauja Singh (the marathon runner - see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fauja_Singh), appeared out of nowhere and asked me if the next train was going so and so. I told him no and that the next one will go where he wants.

When we got on the next train he sat by me and the grabbed my copy of The Walking Dead I was reading. This is a graphic novel, which is like a comic for grown ups incase you are wondering. He then proceeded to tell me about how he has run all over the globe and reeled of a list of countries, all the while thumbing through my book. (He started at the back and made his way to the beginning - I was just thankful this episode didn't have any sexual material in it, which would have embarrased me...lol).

Afterwards he asked (in Panjabi), "Why hasn't the book got any writing, it's all made up of pictures?"

I said "It does, look!" and showed him speech bubbles with text.

He said "What is that, the people's names?"

I replied "No, it's the speech, you know, dialog."

He looked at me like I was simpleton and then got off.

Before he left I asked him about how he can do marathons at his age. I couldn't do a half marathon myself. He said you must steadily increase your distances over time and to not drink beer (it shortens your breathe apparently) and not eat meat.

What a character huh!

Seen him  a couple of times at Gurdware. Once at Karamsar Ilford, other was at Barking

He or his family  must have exaggerated his age by around 10 years if he's meant to be 110 now

1 hour ago, Premi said:

Seen him  a couple of times at Gurdware. Once at Karamsar Ilford, other was at Barking

He or his family  must have exaggerated his age by around 10 years if he's meant to be 110 now

Is he still alive???