Dr. Satinder Sartaaj

pr1tpal

He is amazing man. If it was any punjabi songs i would dance to is this dude besides nusrat fateh ali khan.. Anand Mangal :D

True. I am glad the people of east Punjab finally have a good singer. He is a legend in the making, a future “Gurdas Mann” I think. He is the kind of singer a Punjabi man can listen to with his sister and mother without feeling ashamed. Iqbal Mahal deserves alot of credit for bringing him to fame.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just watching an interview of Satinder Ji on Sikh TV.

What a totally amazing personality - an inspiration for anyone in any field.

Finally, a mainstream Punjabi singer who has real talent and old fashioned Punjabi wisdom/respect.

God bless him with much success.

Totally agree with you. He isn't a "gurdas maan" beater yet, but his two albums which I have heard are excellent, I like track number 1 from Sartaaj called Sai, lovely song, infact all of them are very good.

Track number 2 is beautiful, and the third one, where he is narrating while singing about the little girl...oh and the last track.

I see him as a combo of gurdas maan and hans raj hans, great voice like HRH and got talent in writing his own work (although Gurdas Maan in a interview did say his wife writes all his songs)... But my fav is still Hans Raj Hans, his voice is just amazing.

For Silence - Stop being a bigot. His dress is not Sikh, its Sufi Panjabi, which is totally different. Ever heard of greats such as Bulleh Shah, Waris Shah, etc.

BUT people in panjab still are addicted to that cave man type music, where they are screeming instead of singing, i.e. miss pooja, chamkila, etc....These songs make me cringe, disgusting lyrics and terrible way of singing.

Did anybody record his interview?

if anybody wants his album pm me.

wish he would put in his hair though! finally a talented non paki and he wants to look lke one lol

Actually the original person with that look amongst "Apne" (east Punjab singers) was Harshdeep(a girl). She was on one of those Indian singing shows. She would always come on show with her hair and turban on top. Then Dr. Satinder Sirtaaj and Dr. Mamta Joshi appeared and copied Harshdeep's style. Strange thing is, all three of them are not real Sufis. But I guess, Dukaan chalaun lyee, bhess vataounaa pandhaa he hai! Now that this style of singing is becoming popular, you will see more and more singers trying to appear like Sufis.

Actually he studied Sufi music/poetry @ PHD level, which is why he is a Dr. His knowledge on Sufi poetry is truely phenomenal, its all engrained in his mind. He is able to answer questions using Sufi quotes. More than just a 'trend'. His philosophy on life is also very clearly Sufi inclined. He is not a kanjar or amli/sharabi like many other Punjabi singers.

I just hope he doesn't succumb to the penduness of a Put Jatt de balaunday bukray cover anytime soon and totally destroy the good impression he has made. lol

• 3 months later...

I believe this chap has been abit naughty. He has taken poetry from old books, say 30 years old, changed them and then put his name to it. The guy who wrote it was alive and took this so called Dr. to court and won.

I knew he was too good to be true.

I believe this chap has been abit naughty. He has taken poetry from old books, say 30 years old, changed them and then put his name to it. The guy who wrote it was alive and took this so called Dr. to court and won.

I knew he was too good to be true.

That's true. BUT, considering the level of quality of singers we have today in east(Indian) Punjab, he is still too good to be true. His type of singing and the content of his lyrics is refreshing to hear even if it is copied. His songs are songs which a Punjabi man can hear with his sister, mother and daughter and not feel ashamed because today in Punjab most Punjabi singers sing such songs which a man cannot hear with women of his family. Even the music videos of Punjabi songs are shameless. So Sirtaj is still good and we need to support him.

i dont really like what hes doing too much. if he is a sufi and wants to help people connect to god, then charging £50 a head for a concert isnt the way to go. I cant really see the attraction in sufi mat myslef, not when compared to Gurbani. I used to listen to Sufi music, but when i started to listen to proper raag kirtan, i just couldnt get into listening to sufi stuff again.

Thing with Panjabi folk music is that it usually does follow generic lyrical, rhythmic patterns/structures which are modified by subsequent people. The jugni verses are a clear example.

So even if he did do what is being implied, is it really that unusual?

i dont really like what hes doing too much. if he is a sufi and wants to help people connect to god, then charging £50 a head for a concert isnt the way to go. I cant really see the attraction in sufi mat myslef, not when compared to Gurbani. I used to listen to Sufi music, but when i started to listen to proper raag kirtan, i just couldnt get into listening to sufi stuff again.

One who sings sufi music is not necessarily a Sufi himself. So expecting sufi type qualities from a man who is not sufi but happens to sings sufi music is too much to ask for from that man. I mean, Sartaj is an entertainer and professor in Sufi music but let us not confuse him for being a real sufi. The work he is doing for Punjabi music is good work. Music itself has a huge influence on culture. Finally we have a singer from east Punjab who is making a positive contribution to Punjabi culture. I would gladly pay $100 to listen to Sirtaj than the trashy type of Punjabi singers of great fame we have who have a negative influence on Punjabi culture.