Are Gurudwaras Doing Any Good To Panth?

laalsingh

Yogi Bhajan had similar problems being thrown out of gurdwaras they would gather people together and sit outside guru maharaj used to give sangat just in outsides so we can even gather kids in parks in summer for workshops. Guru sahib took over the mughals by winning the hearts of others even though the mughals rulled the gurus had the heart of everyone. If the sangat loves one another starting from ourselves and family and local families/friends we can work upwards by starting small making friends in gurdwaras it is very easy to get into fights and arguments but we need the bani and simran ourselves so there is an attracting force of the kamai. Most these commitee members are doing what the mughals and hindu kings did by drinking by choudary and showing themselves as leaders who oppress rather then sewadars. Alot the knowledge of sikhism is locked away in books which we need to read because the sikh preachers do not read them and become leaders because our previous leaders failed to do so.

Edited by sarbatdapala

At the moment mandirs are emptying out, churches are as well, we are not so bad considering our population however mosques are getting filled up perhaps the media doing all these terrorist stories however some people are now doubting islam but they do not say it as they would get introuble beaten killed etc. Sikhi is a path of love not fear and scaring people into religion- however gurdwaras scare people and result to evil things. Such as khalistani people starting fights, commitee, so alot comes down to our generation to do things for our own kids and for ourselves. Also in the past going gurdwara was a past time aswell now we have internet tv phones media clubs bhangra industry and so forth. Alot of people after seeing money have become ungreatful and for one it maybe worthwhile spending time in India with people who actually need help and spreading sikhi to remote region of India where hinduism is existent to bring kirpa there langar, sewa and simran. We have to resurrect sikhi in punjab as well, punjab has come into terrible condition.

Edited by sarbatdapala

• 1 month later...

At the moment mandirs are emptying out, churches are as well, we are not so bad considering our population however mosques are getting filled up perhaps the media doing all these terrorist stories however some people are now doubting islam but they do not say it as they would get introuble beaten killed etc. Sikhi is a path of love not fear and scaring people into religion- however gurdwaras scare people and result to evil things. Such as khalistani people starting fights, commitee, so alot comes down to our generation to do things for our own kids and for ourselves. Also in the past going gurdwara was a past time aswell now we have internet tv phones media clubs bhangra industry and so forth. Alot of people after seeing money have become ungreatful and for one it maybe worthwhile spending time in India with people who actually need help and spreading sikhi to remote region of India where hinduism is existent to bring kirpa there langar, sewa and simran. We have to resurrect sikhi in punjab as well, punjab has come into terrible condition.

is there a lack of langar in punjab??

there use to be a gora sikh by the id called Star darcy , i had managed to speak to him once after he had abondoned sikhi and opted to be a bahai .

he had a major issue with language he was based in canada and finally decided to move on since none of the local Gurdwaras had taken interest in his plight.

He had grown his kes for 3 years ! i was very disheartened, but i knew this punjabiyat will take us nowhere..we will be those koop-manduks(frog in the well) for whom the world is not more than the length and breadth of their pinds in punjab.

People blame 3ho and other off shoots but see their prachaar, there too have been some unfortunate cases but still they are growing many fold

• 4 years later...

Our department at work often have department meetings at external venues as we do not have offices that can accommodate everyday in our head office.  This week we had our meeting in a room at a local church, and the church often hires out this large room for external functions.  It would be great for our Gurudwaras to think outside the box when it comes to designing new Gurudwaras or redeveloping existing Gurudwaras to think what they can do to assist the wide panth and local committee.

A function room which could be used to hold meetings, or a library should be consider essential.

RE: Language issues.  Slowly I've seen more Gurudwaras benefiting from the Basics of Sikhi approach of having English karthas to keep the younger members of sangat engaged.

you people do realise that a Gurdwara is a place to pray right?  its not supposed to be University/Library/Discussion Hall.

what exactly do all these committee people fight over???

people blame Gurdwaras for not attracting the youth??? why dont you blame the youth???  they can spend so much time looking at rubbish or the internet but when it comes to learning about Sikhi suddenly they need special classes and conference rooms etc

you want paath in English?  why dont you go learn Panjabi?  It cant be that hard, since well you learnt English didnt you?  if someone told you to learn something for your job you'd probably do it with utmost enthusiasm.  but for sake or relgion you cannot be bothered.

On 24/03/2011 at 6:08 AM, laalsingh said:

If you think you are Sikh, first thing about being Sikh is listening to Guru without question. Now Guru instructed all His Sikhs to keep long hair.

If you are Sikh, you won`t even question. Sikhs did not even question when Guru asked for their heads (surely smart ones started leaving the gathering quietly, thinking Guru had gone coockoo).

not all sikhs believe that he instructed all his siksh to keep long hair.

and the behaviour of alot of long haired sikhs doesnt imply that they 'listen to Guru without question' in other respects of their behaviour.   sadly, so called Singhs are amongst the rudest people I meet

• 5 years later...
6 hours ago, Soulfinder said:

Veer ji it's a day that I will never forget since when I have stopped going to that gurdwara. It's a bit long the writing is going to be but I am gonna write it how I remember it.

Basically it was around July a few years ago. Baba Bhupinder Singh Ji Rara Sahib Jarg had come to Neville Road Gurdwara. I too went my parents. So this is where it all goes wrong. I am having langar in the hall as I left the darbar hall before the bhog.

I got my langar plate and ate it. I had left the thal in the washing area. Went to get another roti and some daal as I felt a bit hungry at the time. When i picked up the plate thal the guy serving roti started having a go at me and raised his voice saying "who is gonna wash the thal ?" I answered back saying it "was my choice". The guy kept going on and on but I got the roti from him and tried to ignore him. 

Just after that the 2nd guy serving daal said to me "Round 2 ?" As he gave me the previous daal before. I went silent and was shocked and lost for words hearing and seeing all of this. 

I then sat down with my plate and waited for my parents to come downstairs to the langar hall. 

Then when my mum came I told her what happened she said to me to come to this gurdwara again. I said I am outside for fresh air. Then I saw another person whom I don't have a good a relationship with. Then I started to feel on edge and panic so I saw the bus coming,caught right on time then went home.

A few minutes later my mum rang me and asked where I was and told her I am in the bus going home and reached it. 

So my mum made a complaint against this to whomever was in the management committee. 

Although no action had been taken against these people who tormented me there. 

It's been 3 and a half years since this incident. Everytime I go past the gurdwara by bus I get reminded of the events that took place with me. Plus try to convince myself that is a gurdwara with maharaja's stoop but the hate of these people gets to me a lot as I get flashbacks.

There are a lot more incidents but this one was the worst that I just wrote out.

I come through uk bro, we're going back there for second helping Ji.