Guru Dharna'n

A billy-basic question that has been puzzling me of late:

According to Dharmic faiths it is a must that a person has a Guru.

My question is that is it necessary for a typical Joe Blogg, grhisti Sikh to take amrit of the khanda and keep kesh if he wants have a Guru and call himself a SIkh?

There are Sikh samparda's - nirmalas, udasis that don't administer the khalsa amrit or insist on kesh etc,but have their own form of initiation.

Can lay-sikhs also follow these ways (ie SIkhs who dont want to become sadhus, scholars or live in deras)?

Fateh.

• 2 weeks later...

If a Guru is the sole necessity then why is a title of being called a Sikh etc a requirement for you?

I feel the Guru's have built a ground where one can nurture their bhagti and if the intuitive voice comes calling to divert to other Samparda's, then I don't see why it has to be debated or questioned.

If the inquiry here is about a road-map of where to go and how to get there, then you have a huge burden on your head as the directions will change depending on who you ask.

The Bhagtas say, "I don't know where you are at, but you know exactly where I am at, so you come find me". It is not necessary for a Bhagta to go out searching, it is said that when the disciple is read, the Guru comes to find him/her. Are we ready?

If a Guru is the sole necessity then why is a title of being called a Sikh etc a requirement for you?

I feel the Guru's have built a ground where one can nurture their bhagti and if the intuitive voice comes calling to divert to other Samparda's, then I don't see why it has to be debated or questioned.

If the inquiry here is about a road-map of where to go and how to get there, then you have a huge burden on your head as the directions will change depending on who you ask.

The Bhagtas say, "I don't know where you are at, but you know exactly where I am at, so you come find me". It is not necessary for a Bhagta to go out searching, it is said that when the disciple is read, the Guru comes to find him/her. Are we ready?

Your last sentence implies 'disciple being ready' is also necessary. Ain't 'being ready' and 'out searching' same thing?

There are Sikh samparda's - nirmalas, udasis that don't administer the khalsa amrit or insist on kesh etc,but have their own form of initiation.

Can lay-sikhs also follow these ways (ie SIkhs who dont want to become sadhus, scholars or live in deras)?

Fateh.

Guru have given us the path of initiation. the samprdaye may introduce their own but these i feel are worthless, as Guru Ji has already given us the true initiation ceremony. Who started initiaiton in Nirmalas? Bhai Daya Singh Ji? if it was then he had Khande ki pahul. what about the udasis ? Did Guru Nanak give Baba Sri Chand any initiation ? Did Baba Ji give this same initiation to Baba Gurditta? and on and on.

sometimes i think that guru has given us the teraching, but in our cleverness we have distorted it or blurred it.

Your last sentence implies 'disciple being ready' is also necessary. Ain't 'being ready' and 'out searching' same thing?

If the world is still a priority within the mind of the Searcher, then your search will be futile. We project outwards to the existence exactly what is within us and we attract ourselves towards that. If this searcher has lit the flame of Vairaag within, then you are ready, your heart is prepared for the seed to be sown and the One who has the capacity to show you, will find you. It is not simply searching out there, but searching out there with urgency and Vairaag.