Quotes Of Warfare From Rehitname

amardeep

He [Guru Gobind Singh at a young age] listened to other poetic works (apart from hanuman natak) and to katha which Devi Das delivered. During this same period he hunted and practised with dagger and sword. In S.1734 (1677) he composed the Jaap and Sri Akal Ustat. 174

In S.1735.....a volume entitled Samundra Sagar was compiled and also a second collection relating the exploits of the avatars. 175

In S.1748 (1691 AD) a Sarin Khatrani, Rup Kaur, came with the members of the Lahore sangat to attend the annual Baisakhi fair. She tried to deceive the Guru in a most grievous manner, but was unable to do so. It was because of her deceit that the Charitra [Charitro Pakhyan] were composed. The work was completed on the eight day of the dark hald of Bhadon S.1753

Edited by amardeep

What then is expected of the Singh who bears arms (Shasterdhari Singh) ? He will be one who exercises strict control over his natural impulses, yet treats others in a generous spirit. He will take great care of his weapon...... He will [never] let his attention drift, emulating the beast which watches warily while it grazes. 189

The Singh who bears arms will never turn his back in battle. It he wins he earns glory; and if he dies he goes to heaven. 190

The Singh who bears weapons should continue always to develop his skill with weapons. 194

The Singh who who bears arms will always worship his weapon [and] he will never leave it uncleaned. 196, 197

The master approves or warfare. It was for the purpose of waging war that he commanded [his followers] to retain the kes and take up arms. Only by warfare is the right to rule established. 200

The Guru began the task of passing on to the Panth his own skill in the use of arms. He took up making arrows with his own hands and began training his Sikhs in their use. He also promulgated the Rahit (to be observed by all who professed) the Sikh faith and imparted to them an understanding of the mischievous policies which were being pursued by beighbouring states and by the muslim rulers on the plains. 285.

Thanks Amardeep, wonderful quotes.

"In S.1748 (1691 AD) a Sarin Khatrani, Rup Kaur, came with the members of the Lahore sangat to attend the annual Baisakhi fair. She tried to deceive the Guru in a most grievous manner, but was unable to do so. It was because of her deceit that the Charitra [Charitro Pakhyan] were composed. The work was completed on the eight day of the dark hald of Bhadon S.1753"

This is interesting, especially as the modern Pro-Dasam Granth camp claim that the Charitr in question does not relate to Dasmesh Pita.

This is interesting, especially as the modern Pro-Dasam Granth camp claim that the Charitr in question does not relate to Dasmesh Pita.

Where is Singh2 when you need him?

• 3 weeks later...

If you can, post what is mentioned about caste and the Dasam Granth as well please!

Failing that Amardeep, you might have to chop the quotes up into smaller pieces? Use MS Paint to chop up images you have scanned if required.

Incidentally what version of Acrobat are you using to convert files into PDF? I just tried installing an old copy of Version 5 I had on my Windows 7 system only to find they are not compatible.....

Edited by dalsingh101

I used the copy machine at work that sends scanned pages as pdf.

With the courtesy of the user Weed, the files have been uploaded to

http://www.box.net/shared/7m5d49cx0g

Rotate the image using the rotate function in Adobe reader, and enjoy. I found the parts on Banda Singh Bahadur, the prophecies and the sakhi of Maharaj telling the scholars to leave the battle field to be quite interesting myself.

Edited by amardeep