Panjabi Vocabulary Builder Thread

dalsingh101

I was looking at the image with Guru ji's own writing of the mool mantar and I noticed that Guru Hargobind seems to have adopted a system where the beginning and/or end of words are usually indicated by using an aunkar.

Does anyone know anything about this that they could share?

Edited by dalsingh101

I'm going to introduce a new idea to help us consolidate the words in memory. What I'm proposing is that we create sentences using the words that we have already covered.

Maybe make a game of it where the sentence can only be one line long (maximum) and we create an ongoing story with it! Might be funny. I'll try and start tomorrow with the opening sentence.

This could be a laugh. We'll see.

This letter always baffled me: . I mean how often do you come across it? Really.

That pretty much goes for this baby too actually

Punjabi is my first language. I don't remember using these letters any time in my lifetime. Only places we come across these letters are saying 'ਪੈਂਤੀ' or reading Guru Granth.

Punjabi is my first language. I don't remember using these letters any time in my lifetime. Only places we come across these letters are saying 'ਪੈਂਤੀ' or reading Guru Granth.

I've come across these two letters in grubani a couple of times only (cant remember where though). In usage all I know is that these letters never some a the start of a word. I think that they only end a word, so dont even come in the middle of it.

Curiously I saw in the middle of some word just yesterday when trying to find some definition, but never bothered to note it. lol

I bet these ones will be on the front line for any purging or reformation that may take place with the language in future!

Here's another juicy one:

ਨਿਤਾਰਕ

Edited by dalsingh101

I think we are getting a bit tardy so I'll bring all open ones into a single post:

ਮਿਲ-ਗੋਭਿਆ

ਆਵਾਹਨ

ਮੂਜਬ

ਨਿਤਾਰਕ

ਸੰਹਾਰ

ਸ਼ੂਨ੍ਯ This one from earlier seems to mean zero or nothingness. It derives from ਸ਼ੂਨ and I think is used to describe the state of creation after it has been absorbed/purged by some deity? This mythological stuff is infinitely more complex than I ever imagined.....

scratch-head03-idea-animated-animation-smiley-emoticon-000416-large.gif

Edited by dalsingh101

ਨਿਤਾਰ means:

distinction or separation of true and false, removal of doubt or suspicion, discernment, discrimination, judgement

so ਨਿਤਾਰਕ would mean the person who has the responsibilbity to uphold the ਨਿਤਾਰ so I am going to guess this word could mean judge.

ਸੰਹਾਰ means to destroy?

Edited by chatanga1

Okay, I said I was going to try this rolling story to practice using the words, here it is:

ਇੱਕ ਵਾਰੀ ਇੱਕ ਬੁੱਢੇ ਨੇ ਮੈੰਨੂ ਦੱਸੇਆ, "ਕਾਕਾ, ਆਵੱਸ਼ਕ ਹੇ ਵੀ ਬੰਦਾ ਆਪਣੀ ਗਿਆਨ ਵਿਕਾਸਸ਼ੀਲੇ"

ਪਰ ਉਸ ਵਕਤ'ਚ ਮੈਂ ਜਾਦਾ ਸੁਤੰਤਰ ਸੁਭਾਅ ਵਾਲਾ ਸੀ.

The idea was for people to add a line, using some of the words we've uncovered in this thread. Keep to three maximum. Above I've used ਆਵੱਸ਼ਕ, ਵਿਕਾਸਸ਼ੀਲੇ and ਸੁਤੰਤਰ.

Making it (or at least trying to) funny, wouldn't hurt either.

This tool is wonderful for typing, if you want to try:

http://g2s.learnpunjabi.org/unipad.aspx#

Edited by dalsingh101

Just for the record.

I've been informed that ਵਿਅਕਤੀ or ਵ੍ਯਕਤੀ which was previously defined as a person or individual can also be translated to 'a being'.

Hi Drunken Master

Can you not post the words in Gurmukhi for us?

Create the words using this and copy and paste into a post here..

http://www.srigranth.org/servlet/gurbani.dictionary

ਕਾਮਨਾ = Wish, passion, desire, inclination.

Hi Drunken Master

Can you not post the words in Gurmukhi for us?

Create the words using this and copy and paste into a post here..

http://www.srigranth.org/servlet/gurbani.dictionary

ਕਾਮਨਾ = Wish, passion, desire, inclination.

I heard them in katha so I wouldn't no how to spell them lol

But imgoing to attempt to read taksali nitnem steek so I prob will post lots of words from there which I don't understand

here are some

ਮਜਾਤੀ

ਵਿਜਾਤੀ

ਸ੍ਵੈ ਗਤ ਭੇਦ

ਵਸਤੂ

ਪ੍ਰਛੇਦ

Edited by Drunken Master

ਵਸਤੂ - Substance, object, stuff, material, ingredient, commodity.

ਸਭੇ ਵਸਤੂ ਕਉੜੀਆ ਸਚੇ ਨਾਉ ਮਿਠਾ ॥

All material things are bitter; the True Name alone is sweet.

Guru Arjan Dev Page 355 Line 2

ਗਤ - Manner, state, condition, deliverance. Mahan Kosh also has: ਜਾਣਿਆ ਹੋਇਆ and ਲਾਭ ਕੀਤਾ ਹੋਇਆ

ਭੇਦ - same as ਭੇਤ apparently which means - way, method, manner, style, procedure and also - secret, mystery, arcanum, classified information,intelligence something communicated in confidence.

Edited by dalsingh101

Thanks Dal

Here is another one

ਵਿਆਪਕ

I came across this one recently as well:

comprehensive, detailed, diffusive, pervasive, extensive, all embracing, widespread, rampant

ਮਜਾਤੀ

ਵਿਜਾਤੀ

I'm wondering if these have anything to do with caste?

ਮਜਾਤੀ

ਵਿਜਾਤੀ

I'm wondering if these have anything to do with caste?

these have nothing to do with caste. They are words to do with connection and seperation of different properties. also have you made a mistake with MUJATI? should it have been SUJATI and MUJATI?

Mujati connection or union is of 2 different properties which produce an outcome, whereby neither properties are of either use, such as water being mixed with oil, whereas Sujati connection or union is of 2 similiar properties producing no lesser effect of either involved, but an enhanced effect, such as water with water, and scents with scents.

Where did you get these words from? from a spiritual source?

I think that these words are used essentially for the types of sangat.

This Aussie brother seems to have gone into depth in explaining those words/concepts:

ਦੋ ਭਿੰਨ ਭਿੰਨ ਵਸਤੂਆਂ ਦੇ ਮੇਲ ਨੂੰ ਮਿਲਾਵਟ ਜਾਂ ਖੋਟ ਕਿਹਾ ਜਾਂਦਾ ਹੈ। ਆਲਮਾਂ (ਗਿਆਨੀਆਂ) ਦਾ ਕਹਿਣਾ ਹੈ ਕਿ ਇਹ ਮਿਲਾਵਟ ਦੋ ਪ੍ਰਕਾਰ ਦੀ ਹੁੰਦੀ ਹੈ। (1) ਵਿਜਾਤੀ ਮੇਲ ਅਤੇ (2) ਸਜਾਤੀ ਮੇਲ। ਵਿਜਾਤੀ ਮੇਲ ਨੁੰ ਉਹ ਖੋਟ ਆਖਦੇ ਹਨ ਪ੍ਰੰਤੂ ਸਜਾਤੀ ਮੇਲ ਨੂੰ ਕੋਈ ਨਾਂ ਨਹੀਂ ਦਿੰਦੇ ਕਿਉਂਕਿ ਸਜਾਤੀ ਮੇਲ ਦੁਆਰਾ ਮਿਲਣ ਵਾਲੀ ਵਸਤੂ ਆਪਣੇ ਮੂਲ ਵਿਚ ਅਭੇਦ ਹੋ ਜਾਂਦੀ ਹੈ ਜਿਵੇਂ ਪਾਣੀ ਵਿਚ ਪਾਣੀ ਦਾ ਮੇਲ, ਸੁਗੰਧੀ ਵਿਚ ਸੁਗੰਧੀ ਦਾ ਮੇਲ। ਏਸੇ ਤਰਾਂ ਸੁਰਤ ਅਤੇ ਸ਼ਬਦ ਦੇ ਮੇਲ ਨਾਲ ਆਤਮਾ ਦਾ ਪ੍ਰਮਾਤਮਾ ਨਾਲ ਮੇਲ, ਪਾਣੀ ਦੀ ਬੂੰਦ ਦਾ ਸਾਗਰ ਵਿਚ ਸਮਾਣਾ ਆਦਿ:

(ਨਾਨਕ ਲੀਨ ਭਇਓ ਗੋਬਿੰਦ ਸਿਉ, ਜਿਉ ਪਾਨੀ ਸੰਗਿ ਪਾਨੀ॥ (253)

Trans: When two separate substances are mixed or adulterated with one another. Learned folk say that this mixture can be of two sorts i.e. 1) a veyjaati mix and 2) a sujaati mix. A veyjaati mix refers to adulteration thus no name is given to a sujaati mix because in a sujaati type mix the two meeting components become identical in the end result, like water mixed with water, or a fragrance mixed with another fragrance. In this same manner with the merging of the consciousness (soorat) with the word (shabad) the [individual] soul is merged with the supreme soul (paraatma), like a drop of water is merged into its ocean source.

ਨਾਨਕ ਲੀਨ ਭਇਓ ਗੋਬਿੰਦ ਸਿਉ ਜਿਉ ਪਾਨੀ ਸੰਗਿ ਪਾਨੀ ॥੩॥੧੧॥

O Nanak, he merges with the Lord of the Universe, like water with water. (ang 633)

ਦੂਸਰਾ ਜੋ ਵਿਜਾਤੀ ਮੇਲ ਹੁੰਦਾ ਹੈ ਉਹ ਮਿਲਾਵਟ ਅਖਵਾਂਦਾ ਹੈ ਕਿਉਂਕਿ ਉਹ ਦੋ ਵਖ ਵਖ ਵਸਤੂਆਂ ਦੇ ਮਿਲਾਪ ਦਾ ਨਾਮ ਹੈ ਜਿਨ੍ਹਾਂ ਦੀ ਪਹਿਚਾਨ ਵਖਰੀ ਹੁੰਦੀ ਹੈ ਜਿਵੇਂ ਪਾਣੀ ਅਤੇ ਤੇਲ ਦਾ ਮੇਲ, ਸੋਨੇ ਅਤੇ ਤਾਂਬੇ ਦਾ ਮੇਲ, ਦੁਧ ਅਤੇ ਪਾਣੀ ਦਾ ਮੇਲ, ਸੁਗੰਧ ਅਤੇ ਦੁਰਗੰਧ ਦਾ ਮੇਲ ਆਦਿ।

The other [type] which is the vejaati type union is xxxxxx? because it is the name of the mixture of two separate components that are recognised as distinct like water and oil, gold and copper, milk and water, a fragrance with a fetid odor.

http://www.shabadsanjh.com/2010/06/blog-post_7522.html

ਅਖਵਾਂਦ - what does this mean???

I get the impression that ਅਖ refers to a corruption of sorts?

Edited by dalsingh101

This Aussie brother seems to have gone into depth in explaining those words/concepts:

Trans: When two separate substances are mixed or adulterated with one another. Learned folk say that this mixture can be of two sorts i.e. 1) a veyjaati mix and 2) a sujaati mix. A veyjaati mix refers to adulteration thus no name is given to a sujaati mix because in a sujaati type mix the two meeting components become identical in the end result, like water mixed with water, or a fragrance mixed with another fragrance. In this same manner with the merging of the consciousness (soorat) with the word (shabad) the [individual] soul is merged with the supreme soul (paraatma), like a drop of water is merged into its ocean source.

ਨਾਨਕ ਲੀਨ ਭਇਓ ਗੋਬਿੰਦ ਸਿਉ ਜਿਉ ਪਾਨੀ ਸੰਗਿ ਪਾਨੀ ॥੩॥੧੧॥

O Nanak, he merges with the Lord of the Universe, like water with water. (ang 633)

The other [type] which is the vejaati type union is xxxxxx? because it is the name of the mixture of two separate components that are recognised as distinct like water and oil, gold and copper, milk and water, a fragrance with a fetid odor.

http://www.shabadsanjh.com/2010/06/blog-post_7522.html

ਅਖਵਾਂਦ - what does this mean???

I get the impression that ਅਖ refers to a corruption of sorts?

Is it some variant of 'saying'? There is similar word in Persian meaning 'teacher'.

Is it some variant of 'saying'? There is similar word in Persian meaning 'teacher'.

It's got me stumped.

I think the key word is ਅਖ though.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, incase anyone is still interested. Some goodies:

ਯਥਾਰਥ

ਉਤਸਾਹ

ਪਹਿਲ

ਮੀਜਾ

Edited by dalsingh101