Rupert Snell's Book On Braj Bhasha

dalsingh101

Found this. Thought I'd share. It's a bit much for me but maybe someone else can find it of use?

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=E26Qne4h1yUC&printsec=frontcover&dq=rupert+snell+braj&source=bl&ots=SmFQ9YufQP&sig=hpq_kiFY_9hz91W1x_s9NcQ2LRM&hl=en&ei=9_FbTOuCB93Q4wbOiOyRAg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CBkQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q&f=false

Edited by dalsingh101

Found this. Thought I'd share. It's a bit much for me but maybe someone else can find it of use?

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=E26Qne4h1yUC&printsec=frontcover&dq=rupert+snell+braj&source=bl&ots=SmFQ9YufQP&sig=hpq_kiFY_9hz91W1x_s9NcQ2LRM&hl=en&ei=9_FbTOuCB93Q4wbOiOyRAg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CBkQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q&f=false

Thank you very very much dalsingh jee. I was looking for something like this.

Thank you very very much dalsingh jee. I was looking for something like this.

No problem veer ji. Can you read Hindi or whatever that script in the book is?

Soon, I'm going start a thread to analyse a small but important (in my opinion) section of Dasam Granth. Please do contribute with any linguistic knowledge and opinions when I do.

If Panjabi is your first language, take a little look at the vocabulary builder thread now and then too. It's possible you may know many of the puzzling words we come across.

Edited by dalsingh101

No problem veer ji. Can you read Hindu or whatever that script in the book is?

It's Devanagari, same script Hindi is written in. If you know Gurmukhi script, Devanagari script will only take you an hour or so to learn. It's well worth the effort to learn it because it will enable you to read Snell's book and gain a better underatanding of Braj and a lot of the poetic structures used in Gurbani (arril, sorath, etc).

K.

Kaljug ji

I'm struggling with Panjabi right now. I guess when I master that, I can move on to Devanagari script at some stage.

I feel a bit dense as I have no idea what adjectives, nouns, pre-nouns, verbs and all that stuff is. I know it's not exactly brain surgery but I never saw the value or purpose of knowing this stuff as a youth. The prospect of having to go through all that again fills me with.... err.....a sort of mild feeling of depression. lol

Is this Devanagri? भरथऊ जोग साधना साजी ॥ जोग अगनि तन ते उपराजी ॥ ब्रहमरंध्र झटदै कर फोरा ॥ प्रभ सौ चलत अंग नही मोरा

How far have you got to grips with Braj Bhasha yourself Singh?

I heard it is very much like the language spoken around UP?

Edited by dalsingh101

It's Devanagari, same script Hindi is written in. If you know Gurmukhi script, Devanagari script will only take you an hour or so to learn.

K.

Is devnagri really that easy ??

I started a GCSE when I was at school but really struggled. Probs coz my parents made me learn and I was reading the letters through gurmuki goggles. SO I would see a gurmukhi letter/sound rather than Devnagri/Hindi sound.

Is the grammatical structure of Hindi same as in Panjbai/gurmukhi?

Edited by jattboot

Plus to be honest, I always thought I'd do Farsi next, but I guess Devangari would be easier. Would make more sense.

Hmmmm...

Non merci!!!

English is enough. I'm trying to get away from Eurocentrism! lol

Edited by dalsingh101

Kaljug ji

I'm struggling with Panjabi right now. I guess when I master that, I can move on to Devanagari script at some stage.

I feel a bit dense as I have no idea what adjectives, nouns, pre-nouns, verbs and all that stuff is. I know it's not exactly brain surgery but I never saw the value or purpose of knowing this stuff as a youth. The prospect of having to go through all that again fills me with.... err.....a sort of mild feeling of depression. lol

Is this Devanagri? भरथऊ जोग साधना साजी ॥ जोग अगनि तन ते उपराजी ॥ ब्रहमरंध्र झटदै कर फोरा ॥ प्रभ सौ चलत अंग नही मोरा

How far have you got to grips with Braj Bhasha yourself Singh?

I heard it is very much like the language spoken around UP?

To be honest, I didn't know the parts of speech either until I had to learn Latin to decipher some texts I was interested in. It's not something that is taught these days in schools unless you study a foreign language in an academic setting at college/university level.

Yes, that's Devanagari script.

I only learned enough Braj to illuminate some Dasam Granth passages (I am too lazy and I have too little free time these days do do much more, alas).

I'm not sure how similar the Braj Bhasa of Dasam Granth is to the language spoken today in UP, but they are definitely related.

K.

Is devnagri really that easy ??

I started a GCSE when I was at school but really struggled. Probs coz my parents made me learn and I was reading the letters through gurmuki goggles. SO I would see a gurmukhi letter/sound rather than Devnagri/Hindi sound.

Is the grammatical structure of Hindi same as in Panjbai/gurmukhi?

The phonology is exactly the same. Even the order of the Gurmukhi characters is the same as in Devanagari. The only real difference is that there are some conjunct characters in Devanagari that you don't find in Gurmukhi. See the table of Devanagari consonants here

Replace them with Gurmukhi consonants starting at kakka khakha and you have a direct map from one to the other script.

The grammar is very similar.

K.

• 7 years later...
On 8/6/2010 at 7:33 AM, dalsingh101 said:

Did you get a chance to read the above book?

Bhul chuk maaf

On 6/15/2018 at 10:02 PM, paapiman said:

Did you get a chance to read the above book?

Bhul chuk maaf

No because I can't read Hindi (yet).