Anyone Know Bournemouth?

dalsingh101

Have a young relative of a friend thinking of going uni in Bournemouth. Anyone know what the area is like? They will have to rent there as it is too far to commute.

What's it like?

Bournemouth itself is Chav-town galore.

Personally I would advise your friend to live somewhere a little more classy and scenic like over the water in Studland Bay (google it - its a peninsular, and regular haunt of mine). It is a natural trust area with one of the most beautiful golden beaches in the UK.

There is a regular boat which takes 10 mins to go across. If he looks, he should easily find a reasonable room to rent.

Nearby, Dorset has hundreds of well kept secrets like 'Golden Cap' - where one can see Peregrines flying at head height due to the high cliff location and tall trees beneath... as well as the black beach which is littered with fossils.

Thanks for that.

I was thinking student digs for him myself?

So it's chav central huh?

Pretty off putting. Maybe the kid should stick to a London uni? You don't know what to expect in white towns when a brown face turns up.

Saying that, they are chavs out of boredom/fashion - not career chavs, not the type I would consider troublesome.

He may get a little bored though, nearest Gurdwara is Southampton, which isn't exactly 10 mins walk.

Personally I think London Unis are great, only some people from London seem to want to go to Unis outside of London (so they can get out of staying @ home). But I also know good kids (and parents0 who give their kids the freedom to 'grow' who live in London, they will allow them to stay @ Uni accomodation and come home at weekends, works fine most of the time (assuming kids/parents are intelligent/faith headed).

London Unis also have strong Sikh Societies nowadays.

Saying that, they are chavs out of boredom/fashion - not career chavs, not the type I would consider troublesome.

He may get a little bored though, nearest Gurdwara is Southampton, which isn't exactly 10 mins walk.

Personally I think London Unis are great, only some people from London seem to want to go to Unis outside of London (so they can get out of staying @ home). But I also know good kids (and parents0 who give their kids the freedom to 'grow' who live in London, they will allow them to stay @ Uni accomodation and come home at weekends, works fine most of the time (assuming kids/parents are intelligent/faith headed).

London Unis also have strong Sikh Societies nowadays.

This kid is reluctant about going and doesn't want to leave home but the course he is interested in isn't something everywhere, so he is compelled as such. His own (and his parents) first preference is London, (mainly for financial considerations). I was just looking into the ins and outs of his possibly moving out for them. He may well end up in London.

I'm glad London unis have improved btw. I tell you what, when I was there, Islamic fundamentalism was on the rise on campuses (Hizbut Tahrir fellows) and the way many apnay and apneean were going on was extremely sleazy.

I am sure the ghand mand still is still very popular and practiced by the majority of the 'Punjabi' students, but those few who are interested in Sikhi, or already following Sikhi, certainly don't have to bhangra gigs anymore to see brown faces or make friends - there are many things in terms of Sikhi happening in these Unis now.

Anyone who has a skill in Sikhi - should try and make an effort to provide some sort of seva to Uni students - especially as this is seemingly their most vulnerable time.

Be it kirtan, martial arts, santhiya... knowledge of any kind.

• 11 years later...

@dalsingh101 how did your relative get on?

We visited Bournemouth a few years ago (stayed in Christchurch); the area seemed okay. Lots of 'apne' in nearby Southampton/Eastleigh

When we reached the hotel, there was a gora who was also visiting and asked us where we were from - I told him, and he said he was 'from Essex' - wonder if he lived somewhere full of apne or had got out of somewhere like Ilford or Barking lol

1 hour ago, Premi said:

@dalsingh101 how did your relative get on?

We visited Bournemouth a few years ago (stayed in Christchurch); the area seemed okay. Lots of 'apne' in nearby Southampton/Eastleigh

When we reached the hotel, there was a gora who was also visiting and asked us where we were from - I told him, and he said he was 'from Essex' - wonder if he lived somewhere full of apne or had got out of somewhere like Ilford or Barking lol

He went to Brunel in the end. Graduated and works in his industry now. He's doing well. lol 

1 hour ago, Premi said:

Misread it as 'Brunei' initally! Lol. I think Brunel is a major destination for apne.

lol! He told me that 'asian girls' are very hoey at the uni.