Interesting Sikh Battle Scene

dalsingh101

Found this interesting image on the Christies website. It sold for £39,650, way over the auction estimate. The lot has the following description:

"A SIKH BATTLE SCENE, PUNJAB, EARLY 19TH CENTURY

Gouache on paper heightened with gilt, depicting two rival Sikh groups at battle, most brandishing swords, some with guns, against a hilly landscape, with inscription below reading bi qalem Basharat 'Allah Masur,"

Having looked at the image, it doesn't appear to be two Sikh groups fighting to me (I'm going by the conical protruding things in the turbans of the group on the right, in case you're wondering).

Very interestingly, we see what appears to be the bodies of two decapitated Sikhs retrieving their heads, in the middle of the image. Would be really interesting to find more in depth information on the provenance of the painting. Enjoy.

post-3203-128553480803_thumb.png

post-3203-128553484455_thumb.png

Edited by dalsingh101

Very interestingly, we see what appears to be the bodies of two decapitated Sikhs retrieving their heads, in the middle of the image. Would be really interesting to find more in depth information on the provenance of the painting. Enjoy.

They reversed the great tide. There must be much more what lost in time. So why Sikhs retrieving their head were painted? Maybe something is very obvious and I am missing it.