How Do You Conquer Lust?

Mr Sardar

How do you conquer lust? following on from my previous post of celibacy the question I have is how, why and what is achieved? There are many hindu masters who teach this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVy2fmaq8ZE&feature=related

but in western society where sexual lust is everywhere how do you conquer those desires, how do you conquer them in your dreams, in the night, in fantasy and day dreams, when someone walks by wearing appealing garments?

Cold showers and beats?

Edited by sarbatdapala

when someone walks by wearing appealing garments?

I do not avoid it. I watch the beauty. Then I watch my mind. I give it free ride.

When mind is fully engrossed in lust, having fun thinking about various things it can do with that beauty, I slap it back into place.

Watch your mind like a you are watching a shararati kid.

Play with it. You would be ok after awhile.

Staying busy and staying positive. If either one of those things goes I have noticed lust creeps in.

A priest once told me that lust takes over when your life gets out of balance, its more of a symptom of something else being wrong.. since its easy to "escape" reality by indulging in lustful thoughts/actions.

I have also noticed that too much guilt over lust actually INCREASES lust... so if you catch yourself lusting or whatnot... don't worry... happens to everyone... just move on to some other activity.

Hope that helps

-W

Cultivate a virtuous and austere lifestyle. Live a faithful love-filled grishti jeevan, and most of your kaam problems will be taken care of.

The more subtle/sneaky kaam will remain, and this requires life-long discipline.

If you ever feel overwhelmed by a rush of kaam even though you practice all the above, then pray to Guruji and the shaheeds, visualize their kurbani and shahadat. It should cool you down.

The staying positive and keeping busy thing sounds it may be a viable theory however question is more about being positive, because you can not be much busy without positivity it will lead to stress-hence sexual frustrations and if there no way to take out sexual frustration then something of paap that will lead to negativity which will lead to more of the same putting you in a cycle until you kill yourself or find a way out of it. Positivity can come from simran, sewa and sadhsangat- as kirtan sohila says my body village is full of anger and lust we need to go to saints to have it cured-> only thing is where to find real saints who are above lust themselves to cure it for someone else. When it comes to things like masturbation it can be resultant from boredom, stress and loneliness which can be resulting products of negativity no one wants to be near a negative person. Maybe we can figure out what causes that negativity in the first place, what gives us the stress then isolate it and deal with that in a different way such as going out to enjoy the fruits of life.

I once heard that someone said in each continent one of the 5 thieves is more over-rulling then the next and in the west kaam rules highly; has anyone found going to India or somewhere else reduces kaam; because usually people seem most lustful in summer in west; does heat increase or decrease. Also bearing in mind India has a huge population- can we assume for ourselves kaam decreases there?

Also when it does come to paap, if we do have to commit it (everyone sins) main thing is moderation; avoiding indulgence in sin is essential, limiting ones participation in one sin will allow one to continue with the rest of there days with ease only thing is finding a way out of it completely.

Also do we commit the paap or is everything in maharaj hukam and his ordained will, the way he destined it to be; so if we are to be trapped in lust it is as so.

Edited by sarbatdapala

Pray Truth for all and say Satsriakaal!

Dear all!

The question is asked "How do you conquer lust?"

The True Naam Simran obliges ego to surrender. One comes to know that also lust is Godly. Lust misleads un till it is that of an individual.

Can you imagine that children of the reverend Gurus were the result of the conquered lust?

Balbir Singh

• 2 weeks later...

Indulge your passions....... you'll eventually get bored and thus get it out of your mind when you realise that the satisfaction is merely temporary. It may take years and even lifetimes but it does work (apparently).

This method may work, but only under the proper and strict guidance of a true living Master. It cannot be practiced from hearsay or books.

• 2 weeks later...

I have an idea on this just a small idea, what if... Now the yogis of India are able to stop there hearts and alter other organs and buddhist monks can do some cool stuff under brain scanners and all- Now we are dealing with simran bringing a state of conciousness to supreme conciousness as a result it clears the conciousness and slowly the sub-conciousness leading to no dreams and baby sleep- if we can enter the subconscious through meditation we can alter the human body so altering levels of testosterone and its control can be easier- we can brainwash ourselves into anything i.e. defeat lust- but scary thing is the ramifications what if we become impotent.

At this moment I think we really need to be married in a loving marriage to defeat lust for myself I think I need to physically experience it and understood there is nothing to it, the basic instincts are difficult to overcome like when we are kids we love candy it makes us feel good but we learn too much is bad so moderation comes into effect and slowly we may even be able to fully stop eating it...sadly in the west we tend to get a small taste of lust from the media so the addiction is born- and one needs to tamper it off slowly comming off it.

Edited by sarbatdapala

I am happily married and have a healthy relationship with my wife. Lust does not end with marriage, it just takes on new forms. I guess also I am using the term lust in the judeochristian sense... so not just limited to sexual desire.

I am hoping that lust can be subdued by forming good habits. These yogic methods and such.... I do not discredit them, but for me I think its just going to be a constant struggle... kind of like learning to get up early in the morning... I am just going to have to unbuild the bad habits the same way a built them... by constantly doing new good habits over and over again....

Update: I have been really hardcore, I try not to let even a lustful thought enter my head. It is very hard to do where I live (most my classmates are from LA/Orange county/etc) and dress absolutely crazy....

I am finding it extraordinarily hard to do this... unless I just don't look at the girls or maintain eye contact... and I have noticed that that helps. I dont think anything crazy, but still the lust is like instantaneous... guess I just never noticed because I never cared to. I am having to change my TV habits as well... all the good shows have boobs so it looks like its discovery channel all the way from now on :D

Edited by W..

• 4 years later...

How do you conquer lust? following on from my previous post of celibacy the question I have is how, why and what is achieved? There are many hindu masters who teach this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVy2fmaq8ZE&feature=related

but in western society where sexual lust is everywhere how do you conquer those desires, how do you conquer them in your dreams, in the night, in fantasy and day dreams, when someone walks by wearing appealing garments?

Cold showers and beats?

Paa Jee,

the first thing is to be consciouss that one is being attacked by this demon as well as the remaining four. All of them are quite deadly and powerful enough to keep the soul in this mayavee creation, the creation goes on with their efficient work, as ordered by their master Kal Purukh.

You see, Kal Purukh can not create or destroy souls, in order to keep his desertic creation populated, so he got an alloted amount of souls from Wahiguru, according to his deep penance...well this matter thing is quite profound to talk about in this thread briefly, but suffice for us to understand that we are all trapped here ....

So the thing about trying to overcome all these demons, is to first realize of our very limited and poor capacity, we use to think we are brave and intelligent, and the fact is, we are moorakhs.

You see, lust made even mighty Ravan to fall down, inspite of having done so much jap, tap, austerities, poojas....

In comparison to him, let us ask ourselves who are we? What will power do we have?  We are the most weak creatures.

If possible, take any telescope, look as far as much possible in the Brahmand, if there is any such weapon to fight and conquer these vices.

One may take even years to find such weapon, but there is none as such.

Why?

Because up to the skirts of Brahmand(Physical, Astral and Causal planes), everything is made of the 5 perishable elements, and that is Maya, including our mind. And so are these vices. So you see, to conquer these thieves, we have to take support of a power higher and beyond the reach of these theives , and their creator, which is Dharam Rai or Kal Purukh.

And that power, that weapon  as our Guru Sahibans have said, it is the power of Wahiguru Akal Purukh, which is His Naam. This Naam, is beyond all gods, goddesses, angels and other celestial beings. 

You see, mind is fond of pleasures. It is constantly running outwards in the creation after them, and making our souls incurr in heavy karmas. And when we commit karmas, we are bound to come back. This is how the creation goes on, We create karmas, we have to come back to pay them and at the same time we create new karma, so you see we are perpetuated in the creation.

Kal Purukh, does not want that even by chance that we come to know about the Truth of the Bani.

So what does he do then?

He creates religions, rituals and dogmas to keep our souls entangled here with fights, wars and  confussion, so that we waste away our lives, without even paying attention to the Truth of the Bani, and by applying it in our lives to secure salvation, in this priceless human life.

Guru Sahibans have shouted and repeated through out the whole Bani, Wahiguru and His Nam is the only eternal Truth, everything else is fanaah, is koor...

They, Guru Sahibans say, if you do any devotion apart from Nam Simran, it is like decorating a dead corpse, it is like a dog putting his mouth in the waste searching for food.

And so, if anybody tells us or reminds us, that hey gur sikho: do not waste time after other things than His Simran, he gets kicked by the people, because they think, he is going against Sikhee, as he stresses not on what people do normally as devotion, but on what our Guru Sahibans, have stressed upon, and that is His Nam.

I have repeated many a times of the essence of Sikhee,as the main line from the Mool Mantar, which is :

Ik Oankar, Satgur Parsad Jap.  

There is only one Supreme power and that is Wahiguru, who is realized by the Jap of His Gur parsad, His Name,      Wahiguru .... Waheeeeeguruuuuuu.

So going back to conquer the mind and all these vices, the Bani says: Nam Japat, trishna sabh boojhee hae.

This means, by His sacred Simran, all the desires of the mind to experiment these bhogs of kam, krodh, lobh, moh and ahankar, are all quenched  and dissolved.

Having tasted the Amrit of Nam, the mind and all the vices are pacified and defeated, in a simple and natural way, without us being any champions in martial arts.

So the secret, is to give ourselves totally to this Conscious, Eternal and Supreme Power of Wahiguru Akal Purukh, through His Naam or Shabad.

Nobody in the whole creation is as wise as our Guru Sahibans or the Gurmukhs. They know we are weak and powerless by ourselves, the pity on us for remaining in the chaurasee ka chakar, so they throw the rope of Naam for us, they say, hold on tightly to it(means by His Simran), and we shall pull you out. Wahiguru speaks and does everything through them.

As seen above,ultimately it is by His Grace that we overcome everything and merge in Him also.

Sat Sree Akal .