Gurmatt Sangeet Compositions

RaajK

The sangat in Boston (or a large part of it) are seriously interested in kirtan and are the owners of the Gurmat Sangeet project - which has a huge library of live recordings from nearly all famous visiting raagis.

I am not sure how they went about setting up the prevailent culture, may be worth dropping them an e-mail, they have a website for the aforementioned project.

In the UK, we have a similar set up at Southgate Gurdwara in North London - where many kids (and even elders) from the sangat are instructed under Raj Academy.

The thing to do is learn, then teach/create interest in your Guru Ghar. When you have numbers (kids learning) then you will have a say (a voice). Until then, it's all theory and speculation, people like to see evidence/proof. So advice would be learn yourself firts, then teach/create interest and finally look at creating change.

Manbir

Do you have a few simple vocal exercises which I can practise regularly to make an improvement in my singing ability ?

What key ingredients are required to develop the vocals for good singing?

Is it possible to learn sur gian without the aid of an instrument ?

Shaheediyan

I remember when Prof. Surrinder came to perform Gurmatt Sangeet at local Gurudwara the audience had little to no previous exposure to Sikh musical traditions. I and many others found his music deeply inspiring, and the event proved to be a fascinating spiritual encounter. I felt at that time his interpretation of Gurmatt Sangeet, a universal language, t could transcend regional and cultural barriers. For this the Sikh Panth should be ever grateful to the hard work and perseverance that such scholars undergo in order to spread the love and teachings that Guru Sahib had brought into this world.

I guess the Southgate Gurdwara in North London are fortunate to have somebody like you (Shaheediyan) on the committee. You and Manbir certainly helped myself to think positively and continue with the journey to learning Gurmatt Sangeet.

DSG

It seems you too have been frustrated in your quest to learn Gurmatt Sangeet from poor standard of teachers. I recently met a fellow student who had the same desire as you to learn tanti saaz but was discouraged to continue due to lack of direction from teaching organisation, resulting in the instrument they purchased ending up in a closet or glass case to be visually admired.

I agree with DSG’s point of view as regards to Gurudwaras taking greater responsibility to increase

Gurmatt Sangeet awareness to wider audience.

The local Gurudwara I attend have one poorly paid giani, whose working visa runs out within next two months. His duties include, performing the Rahras and bhog each day, serving prashad, locking-up at night, participating in Akhand path and bhog every Sunday. On top of this he plays and sings a shabad to the same Kehrava tune each week on the harmonium. INSPIRATIONAL !!

The Gurudwaras should collectively nurture younger generation and sponsor talented individual to gain a professional qualifications in Gurmatt Sangeet vidya. Over a period of time, they will interact with Sangat, as well as raising awareness to the youth and other communities. Committees can also pay them a decent income to support their families to attract good quality students for future.

To develop sur gian you need a saaj, traditionally tanti, recently vaja. The tanpura is also used as a standard measure for sur, but again was traditionally used as the standard measure for tanti saaj, which on turn were the measure for vocals. That is why all kirtaniye learn vaja alongside vocals, because the vaja due to its fixed sur, has replaced the tanpura and tanti saaj both (sadly).

On another note, lol, I am not a member of any Gurdwara commitee!

Manbir

Do you have a few simple vocal exercises which I can practise regularly to make an improvement in my singing ability ?

What key ingredients are required to develop the vocals for good singing?

Is it possible to learn sur gian without the aid of an instrument ?

RaajK

If you are interested in developing to learn Raag based Gurbani Kirtan I could direct you to Gurpreet Kaur in Ludhiana. Write to her with your queries and she may be of help. She does take classes of Gurmat Sangeet.

Her email id is gurpreetkaurmail@gmail.com

If you want to know about her music abilities see this site:

http://gurmatgiangroup.wordpress.com/

Basic vocal exercises are always the best to practice. Using a surmandal or tanpura loop, establish your sur gian through doing meditative exercises in your riaaz (daily morning practice). Start of singing srgmpdns sndpmgrs in the middle octave. Do the cycle 2 times BUT ensurs you sing and hold each note for as long as you can (this is the abyaas on the sur, which also develops a long breath and stable voice). Next move down to the lower octave and sing 2 cycles of both the low and middle octaves. Lastly move up to the higher octave and sing 2 cycles across all 3 octaves. If you are new to singing don't push yourself past low octave g and high octave r.

This is the core drill no matter how advanced one gets, later variations on the saptak are introduced, I will give some examples of these in the next few days.

If you want Ustad Harjinder Singh Lallie's contact details I can send you them...The naamdharis also teach at the Naamdhari gurdwara on Cov Road (Birmingham)... You also have the option of making a trip to London and learning from Ustad Surjit Singh Naamdhari.

Traditionally mahapurshs used to set up vidyala's for teaching gurmat sangeet, however recent trends of sants starting schools and colleges for sansaari studies is just one of many reason that gurmat sangeet has been hit so bad. Obviously there are many reasons for the decline but a good example is the dommeeli taksal... Sant baba Jwala Singh Harkowal, Sant Baba Bhag Singh Jabbar wali and Sant Baba Dalip Singh gave sant Sarvan Singh the asheervaad to start the taksal in Dommeeli. But most of the taksals no longer exist.

Shaheediyan has given really good advice... thanks for that.

Most poeple are only out to justify their own action... for mashoori they question traditional seena baseena compositions and traditions in gurmat sangeet... Maharaj kirpa kari we stop stooping to these levels for mashoori. In a perfect world we would recognise everyones hard work and contribution rather than making unjustified comments.

You can buy the following books from India:

Sur Simran Sangeet (7 Volumes) Sant Sarvan Singh Gandharv - (republished by Sant Pritam Singh)

Gurbani Sangeet Pracheen Reet Ratnavali (2 Volumes) Bhai Avtar & Gurcharan Singh

Gurbani Sangeet Gian Singh (Abbotabad) (2 volumes) published SGPC

Sangeet Sagar Ragi Jaswant Singh Tibar Publisher Damdami Taksal

Guru Gobind Singh Rag Ratnavali Prof. Tara Singh

Partal Gaiki Prof. Tara Singh (Out of print)

Guru Angad Dev Rag Ratnavali - Prof. Tara Singh (Out of print)

Bhagat Raag Ratnavali - Prof. Tara Singh (out of print)

Sri Guru Granth Sahib Rag Ratnavali Prof. Tara Singh Publisher Punjabi University, Patiala

Sangeet Sikhya Gavo Saachi Bani Raghbir Singh Publisher Arsi Publishers, Chandni Chowk, New Delhi

Gurmat Sangeet Sagar (4 Volumes) Principle Dyal Singh

Gurmat Sangeet Sikhya Principle Dyal Singh

Tabla Mridang Sagar - Principle Dyal Singh

Ishar Sangeet sagar Ustad Sham Singh Publisher Chattar Singh Jiwan Singh, Amritsar

Gurmat Sangeet Charan Singh Ji

Guru Tegh Bahadur Rag Ratnavali Prof. Tara Singh Publisher Punjabi University, Patiala

Guru Arjan Dev Rag Ratnavali - Prof. Tara Singh Publisher Punjabi University, Patiala

Guru Ramdas Rag Ratnavali - Prof. Tara Singh Publisher Punjabi University, Patiala (ive heard this has been republished)

Indian Classical Music GS Mansukhani

Gyan Bandshavli Dr. Gurnam Singh Publisher Punjabi University, Patiala

Vismad Naad (Gurmat Sangeet Vishesh Ank) Gurudwara Jawadi Taksal, Ludhiana

Swar Samund (Jeevani of Bhai Samund Singh) Professor Paramjot Singh, Guru Gobind Singh Study Circle, Ludhiana (Difficult to find)

Sahaj Dhun - Professor Paramjot Singh, Guru Gobind Singh Study Circle (Difficult to find)

Saral Kirtan Parnali (2 Volumes) Joginder Singh Saral

Guru Nanak Sangeet Padhati Granth ( - Gurudwara Jawadi Taksal, Ludhiana

Gurbani Sangeet Darpan Prof. Kartar Singh Published by SGPC

Guru Angad Dev jee Sangeet Darpan - Prof Kartar Singh - Published by SGPC - (you can only get this from SGPC shops)

Gurmat Sangeet Sagar Asa Di Vaar Tey Shabad - Principle Dyal Singh

Gurmat Sangeet Prabandh Tey Pasar dr. Gurnam Singh, Punjabi University, Patiala

Sikh musicology - dr. Gurnam Singh

Gurmat Sangeet da vilakanata - Dr Jasbir Kaur

There is also a book written by Bhai Vir Singh which is out of print.

Bhai Kahan Singh Nabha in Mahan Kosh also gives abit of discussion on Raags... I might have missed some books out, ill have alook again later.

Principle Dyal Singh and Prof Kartar Singh have some good compositions in difficult taals, they also have compositions of Giani Gian Singh Almast and Bhai Samund Singh jee... Principle Dyal Singh teaches at Rakab Ganj Delhi and Prof Kartar Singh has the Anandpur Academy... both teach tanti saaz.

Edited by Keerat Singh

Wow :o alot of information there superb stuff guys

Yes please, if you have Ustaad Harjinder Singhs details please let us know .

I personally think the issue for myself would be how would one know if the correct techniques ( vocals and instrumental) are being applied , for example when doing SRGMPDNS, should one force the voice out or just say them as you are speaking ( even the higher pitch ones) hence request for a good teacher .

Anyway , good information

• 5 years later...

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh.....

I want to learn Saranda and Dilruba.So can anyone help me to find out the musical teacher of these instruments who teach me in Ludhiana .I would be grateful if anyone can help me in this matter.

Amarpreet Singh

• 3 years later...
  • 2 years later...
Guest +919999338274 contact numb
On 10/23/2010 at 6:12 PM, RaajK said:

I have been searching the internet and various libararies (public and Universities )for Guramt Sangeet compositions in raags. Very little published information found to date.

Can anyone help ?