Why Are So Many Modern British Career Women Converting To Islam?

dalsingh101

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1324039/Like-Lauren-Booth-ARE-modern-British-career-women-converting-Islam.html

• 2 weeks later...

I read an article a couple of years ago about communities of hardcore white christians in the US bible belt who are converting to islam. the basic reason for it was that they found their version of kattar christianity was not hardcore enough and they wanted something even tougher! Hence 're-verting' to islamic fundamentalist beliefs.

I think this trend is a result of over liberalisation, and 'do whatever you wanna do' culture in the west. there are many people who are uncomfortable with freedom and want some form of external restraints put over them.

people from a spiritually bereft society hunger for spirituality, a sense of connection with God and a real non-superficial connection with other people, and probably some restraint to the madness of liberalisation as well. christians mostly threw away their gunns in the mad dash for numbers... and Islam's parchar is heavy

Well, what are your personal experiences of growing up/living in the west? Now that I'm older and able to judge things with a little more objectivity, I feel that it generally sucks.

Constantly being bombarded with images, media that just panders to the base instincts our dharam tells us needs curtailing. The rampant consumerist drive. The nihilistic reductionalist education/philosophy. In the end this white experiment leads to nothing but a deep sense of emptiness. At best we get temporary fixes based on sex and/or materialism. The western worldview even impacts on people's ability to have stable relationships in a wholesome way.

I'm not surprised people are seeking something more profound to fill in the gap in their lives. In a hypothetical position where I had to choose between 'either white westernism' or Islam, I'd go for the latter just because of the discipline and structure and some acknowledgment of God.

Expect more conversions in light of the impending collapse of westernism. Also, expect more conversions from our quarters too, unless we replace the shallow, dogmatic, cultural version of Sikhi as practiced by the majority with the deep, profound, spiritual version enshrined in SGGS ji.

It is time to blossom surely.

Edited by dalsingh101

You know I have to add. I think Islam is attractive to some because it is a genuine alternative to the western way of life. It operates in a parallel space to the west but outside of it.

Actually there thousands of British White people who follow some form of esoteric Hindu belief system. I have and continue to surprisingly meet more and more. There are also tens and thousands of yogi sikhs in Europe and worldwide i.e south america, russia etc who are finding solace in simran and the philosophy of the Gurus. There is also a massive worldwide Sufi movement.

If westerners want spirituality then why not go towards the eastern faiths that are known to be more spiritually based, rather than the shallow wahabism type beliefs?

I think there is an inherent political and/or cultural statement in following Islam that wouldn't be the case with the eastern religions. Like say a black man converting to Islam who is partially impacted by his own family history of enslavement. Or a white women rejecting the west like in the OP.

Thing with Islam is that it has successfully positioned itself against the west. This probably has some antecedents from the crusade period. The eastern religions do not have this 'bite' and operate within the western system. They offer (at best) an alternative experience within it, whilst orthodox Islam offers an alternative experience outside of it.

Plus maintaining your independence in the face of the relentless drive of western assimilation is impressive. I'm no fan of Islam but its ability to do this does impress me considerably. Respect where it is due in my opinion.

Islam has already got centuries of experience assimilating many cultures within it. It is a truly multicultural faith. Whether we like it or not, they know what they are about clearly. A large measure of this is that they know damn well what are NOT about.

I believe that underneath all the white bullshit about freedom and liberty etc. etc. humans really desire structure, predictability and order. I think an element of recent conversions is related to the fact that the west has forgone that by giving power to incompetent leaders, encouraging a self-centred culture at the heart of their financial system resulting in the current economic crisis plus making themselves look very vulnerable through idiotic military over-ambition.

Like our forefathers denting the facade of Moghul invincibility centuries ago, sullay have damaged the similar projection that some of western/Euro society has been obsessed with exuding since colonial times and America more recently.

Everyone loves an underdog when they take on a much bigger or powerful bully - and start to beat them. If you study Moscovici's work on minority influence, this is exactly one of the forces that makes people convert to other systems.

It is just a shame that our people seem content with the position of sepoy/storm trooper. Not very manly if you ask me. It's just subservience of a particular type to my mind. The more independent, struggling group with always look more impressive in my opinion. 'Go alongs' just get taken for granted. And we generally are, unless some dodgy group like the BNP or EDL is trying to manipulate and use us these days.

Edited by dalsingh101

One of the question I want to ask How many westerners actually follow islam for rest of their entire life.Somewhere I read that 3/4 converts leave it within a year or 2 but because of statistical jugglery muslims don't tell it.

Look at Jemima Khan She converted and married pakistani cricketer Imran Khan but in few years they were divorced and she was dating some hollywood Hero

I've known a good few converts in London, who converted many years ago. None of them have left the faith.

It is a very warm and welcoming one for converts. That is undeniable.

Edited by dalsingh101

• 1 month later...

There are no figures in this article on number of conversions. When going in and out of Central London I don't see that many white women wearing headscarves etc. The Daily Mail is a very right-wing newspaper which likes to sensationalise such issues, so I wouldn't take too much notice of what they are saying.

I've met LOADS of white girls who've converted. A good few black ones too. So I think you are wrong in your assumption SinghMunda.

Mixture, but yes, a LOT of it is down to wanting to marry or be with their bfs. A good few cases I noticed (of blokes and girls) is conversion in a relationship which then continues after the relationship has ended (i.e. divorce).

And how many of them end up leaving islam after their relationship?

Not many from what I see. Even ones who get somewhat lax after still consider themselves Muslim. I noticed Roman Catholics often seem to be attracted to it, and consider the change as natural progression?

Not many from what I see. Even ones who get somewhat lax after still consider themselves Muslim. I noticed Roman Catholics often seem to be attracted to it, and consider the change as natural progression?

To be honest women are hard to predict.The religion that allows them least freedom

they embrace it and 100s of questions are raised toward other religions about women's equality