Blessed wid a baby gal.

man older generations way of thinkin is soooooo messsssedddd - too mixed up with the idea of hindus who dont like havin daughters

they feel burdened cos their weddings will cost allot and that their family name will not go on... :roll:

as long as sikhi is around the khalsa family will always grow and grow... we only have the surnames singh and kaur.. so it doesnt matter about keepin the family name going..... :roll: ...some poeple cannot even have children and the ones who get daughters cry about it :x

whatever gender children you have you should thank waheguru for them - id rather have a daughter then a son tho :P

i recently found out that new parents only pass out ladoo if they have a son. :shock: :x :? Thats absurd like others have said before any child is a gift from God and should be treated the same regardless of gender. But this practice has been going on for so long......personally i'd like to change that. If i have kids it'll be ladoooooos for all :D no matter what.

But on the other hand i can see why it happens. Our culture is very family oriented and our parents expect us to take care of them when we're older. The thing with daughters is that they will get married and leave the parents. The parents then have no one to take care of them.

thas my thoughts....sorry if i've haven't explained myself fully.

Haha...Actually, It depends on how much common sense one has..

Its funny though, how so many punjabi families hope for a boy, and in the later years, it is the son that puts such a bad image on the family doin ..stupid things such as drugs, gangs, etc, etc...and usually its always the daughters that end up taking care of the parents.

Na, there is still those "narrow minded" people who pass out sweets and something of that nature..only on a birth of a boy..But, All I know is that my parents passed out laddus and barfi when I was born to the whole pind...And oh jees that was back in 1985.

Its kind of a disgrace, we are in 2003, yet our thinkings are like 1603. :roll: :roll: :roll: :oops:

Anyways, people need to get with time.

Sorry, I didn't mean to show off kind of thing that this happened when I was born, but I wus just answering that to an earlier post that ..sweets do get passed out when a girl is born too. :wink: :wink:

• 4 weeks later...
Guest BikramjitSingh

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa

Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

We need to realise that at the end of the day the discriminatory traditions such as giving out laddoos only when a son is born will only end when our generation refuses to follow them. It is good to see that all the posters here are saying that they will give out laddoos when they have daughters. It just takes a few to make a stand and then the tradition dies a natural death.

It is our generation that will need to to make a stand and hopefully un-Sikh things such as caste, gender discrimination etc will become a thing of the past.

Desikuddi03

It would be interesting to know how many other people were affected by your parents giving out laddoos on your birth and whether they also did the same when a girl was born in their family. Traditions both good and bad begin when people are influenced by the behaviour of others. With time if enough people start to give out laddoos on the birth of daughters it will become the norm and no one will bat an eyelid.

GurFateh

Bikramjit