Baba Nand Singh Ji And The Pooranmashi Abhyaas Viddhi

Xylitol

I've heard that Baba Nand Singh ji gave bachan that those who remain awake the amritvela of pooranmashi will gain the merit equivalent to 1 year worth of amritvela. This is for the pooranmashi of Guru Nanak Sahib's prakash diharra. For other pooranmashi's the laaha is equal to the merit of one month of amritvela.

I would like details and elaboration from anyone who can provide any info.

Hanji, what you have heard is absolutely true. Just gotta have faith in Baba ji's bachan. The point is spending the whole night in yaad of Guru Nanak Dev Ji. The sole purpose of celebrating full moons by Baba ji was based on the fact that Guru Ji took Avatar on a full moon night. That is why so much emphasis is placed on pooranmashis. Usually people ( according to their capability) sit in evening diwan , stay awake all night until next morning. Then bhogs are done 7 am next day. So according to their sharda, and strength people stay awake the whole night from lets say 7 pm to 7 am ,and do bhagti in Guru Nanak's yaad.

Its all a matter of love and faith. The Bachan of Brahmgyani is Atal, so you definitely get the merit. Even if a bird crosses the boundaries of Nanaksar Jagraon, it is given a human form in next birth such is the pratap of that place, no wonder its called Bhagti da Ghar, the intense bhagtis of Baba Nand Singh Ji and Baba Ishar Singh, khavo kharcho ral mil bhai tot na aave vaddo jayi.

So pooranmashi is on 21st November. That means you will need to start getting ready by night of 20th november. It will be wonderful if you can find a Nanaksar Gurudwara nearby, if not then just do your bhagti, simran , nitnem. Baba Nand singh ji said Guru ji took AVATAR at 12:21 A.M.

So before that time bairgmayi shabad are read, at 12:21 Guru Nanak dev ji is welcomed, and after that khushi de shabad are read. Thats how its done at Nanaksar. so your best bet would be start 20th nov night and go past 12:21 am nov 21, and then continue as long as you can until the sun rises.

This is my understanding.

bhul chuk maaf

so generally do most nanaksar gurdwara sahibs (specifically uk) do all night programmes or only evening divans? If so, what kind of schedule is there of naam simran, keertan, bani etc.

What is a good schedule for the night if you are going to do it on your own?

also does anyone know if karamsar gurdwara ilford follows this same maryada?

Edited by Silence

so generally do most nanaksar gurdwara sahibs (specifically uk) do all night programmes or only evening divans? If so, what kind of schedule is there of naam simran, keertan, bani etc.

What is a good schedule for the night if you are going to do it on your own?

also does anyone know if karamsar gurdwara ilford follows this same maryada?

The main Gurudwara Nanaksar Jagraon does this for sure, I am not sure how other Gurudwaras do it.

so one has to stay awake a night prior pooran mashi or the night of pooran mashi >? what bani should be read ?

Since pooranmaashi is 21st Nov, so you must be up at 20th Nov 11:59 PM ( or prior) until morning 21st Nov,

The Avtar purab of Guru Nanak Dev Ji is 21st Nov, 12:21 A.M.

These are my remnants of memory from maybe 10 years ago. People would start gathering around Rehraas Sahib time ( the evening prior), and sit in evening diwans...it was like a rehansabhai...various keertani jathas came from all over world, so bascially it was katha keertan veechar all night. Then every pooranmashi people were given dargahi parshad ( 250 japji sahibs, 50 sukhmanis, 80 mala waheguru mantar/ day, 6 mala/day moolmantar, 1 sehaj path of Sri Guru granth Sahib ji, to be completed in one month).

At the main Jagraon Nanaksar, there was also a maryada of doing Ishnaan on Sarovar. Now I dont remember what time it was done before or after 12:21 AM, these details are murky. As far as I rememeber first it was waited for someone to do ishanan in sarovar...I am not sure who were the beings doing Ishana... my best bet is Guru Nanak Dev ji himself and the celestial beings that followed him ...after that then baba ji ( Baba Nand Singh Ji, or Baba Ishar Singh ji or majoooda mahapurash now on)would take ishanan in sarovar. Then after Baba ji sangat was allowed to have ishnan.

I also remember patake or fireworks being done around 12:21 Am timing. You dont realize the importance once you are far from it. Those were the days. Right now where I live there is no amrtidhari Gursikh, no sadhsangat and no gurudwara. But the scenic beauty is nice ,the vast atlantic ocean and the skies are pollution free, and the moon is the brightest you can possibly imagine. so I will be celebrating all by myself .

Since pooranmaashi is 21st Nov, so you must be up at 20th Nov 11:59 PM ( or prior) until morning 21st Nov,

The Avtar purab of Guru Nanak Dev Ji is 21st Nov, 12:21 A.M.

These are my remnants of memory from maybe 10 years ago. People would start gathering around Rehraas Sahib time ( the evening prior), and sit in evening diwans...it was like a rehansabhai...various keertani jathas came from all over world, so bascially it was katha keertan veechar all night. Then every pooranmashi people were given dargahi parshad ( 250 japji sahibs, 50 sukhmanis, 80 mala waheguru mantar/ day, 6 mala/day moolmantar, 1 sehaj path of Sri Guru granth Sahib ji, to be completed in one month).

At the main Jagraon Nanaksar, there was also a maryada of doing Ishnaan on Sarovar. Now I dont remember what time it was done before or after 12:21 AM, these details are murky. As far as I rememeber first it was waited for someone to do ishanan in sarovar...I am not sure who were the beings doing Ishana... my best bet is Guru Nanak Dev ji himself and the celestial beings that followed him ...after that then baba ji ( Baba Nand Singh Ji, or Baba Ishar Singh ji or majoooda mahapurash now on)would take ishanan in sarovar. Then after Baba ji sangat was allowed to have ishnan.

I also remember patake or fireworks being done around 12:21 Am timing. You dont realize the importance once you are far from it. Those were the days. Right now where I live there is no amrtidhari Gursikh, no sadhsangat and no gurudwara. But the scenic beauty is nice ,the vast atlantic ocean and the skies are pollution free, and the moon is the brightest you can possibly imagine. so I will be celebrating all by myself .

raagmala veer ji thanks a ton for sharing this extremely divine experience, i live in a city which has a large number of sikhs but i havent been able to take part much due to odd hours of work, it would be just beautiful to witness so much of charhdikala

• 11 months later...

Then every pooranmashi people were given dargahi parshad ( 250 japji sahibs, 50 sukhmanis, 80 mala waheguru mantar/ day, 6 mala/day moolmantar, 1 sehaj path of Sri Guru granth Sahib ji, to be completed in one month.

Just to clarify, are you meant to do all of these or is it you choose which one to do?

Edited by Silence

• 3 years later...

Others posters are requested to add more regarding the significance of Poornamashi, and how it was celebrated during Guru Ji times. My knowledge is limited only to the extent of what I heard / read /gained from Nanaksar Mahapurakhs.

Also, we can talk more about the moon and how it affects us on a physical and psychological plane. The different phases of moon. There is Gurbani which tells us what to do during each phase of Moon.  This could be started as a separate topic or within here.

31st July is Guru Purnima also known as Asadha Purnima. This comes only once a year. Every pooranmashi is different and has different characteristics. This is whole different study of positions of planets and constellations.

But for  a Sikh, Nirankar took form of Guru Nanak on a full moon night. Thus, every pooranmashi is highly emphasized at each Nanaksar Gurudwara. You can assign various meanings and interpretations to it. But the essence is that people spend night in the remembrance of Guru Nanak, and a collective ardas is done for people who also did a Sehaj path or equivalent in their homes. Thus, the merit of the sangat, and sampat & akhand paths is multiplied and distributed amongst the sangat who come there with devotion or faith.

More information of different Purnimas from Hindu perspective : http://www.drikpanchang.com/vrats/purnimasidates.html

Baba ji ik gal dasso..i have guests at home ..i might be free somewhere in the early morning , then go to office and then when i come back entertain the guests . So is the early morning a good time to cover and do bani if not in the night ?

Baba Jaikara ji, I am no one to tell you anything lol I only wrote what I have heard or read.

Personally, one's devotion matters the most, whichever way one choose to do it. Earthly obligations are also necessary , so fulfill them first, and afterwards sit with a clear mind:)

Honest and sincere efforts always take precedence.

Others posters are requested to add more regarding the significance of Poornamashi, and how it was celebrated during Guru Ji times. My knowledge is limited only to the extent of what I heard / read /gained from Nanaksar Mahapurakhs.

Also, we can talk more about the moon and how it affects us on a physical and psychological plane. The different phases of moon. There is Gurbani which tells us what to do during each phase of Moon.  This could be started as a separate topic or within here.

Bro, this month, there are two pooranmashis. Do you know the reason? Any special significance?

Bhul chuk maaf

Bro, this month, there are two pooranmashis. Do you know the reason? Any special significance?

Bhul chuk maaf

We have 13 lunar or moon months in the 365 day year., but we have made 12 calendar months.

The full moon occurs just after 28 days. ...so sometimes we can have 2 full moons in one calendar month.

July and August are popular because they both have 31 days (according to my knuckle counting technique!).....but that doesn't mean that it is always in these 2 months because 2 full moons can also occur on either side of February (since it has 28days)..so that Dec/jan and March/april are also popular. (this is what I remember from primary school, so I may need to check further but I think this is reason)

They call this 2nd full moon a ''blue moon''......ever heard the saying "once in a blue moon"?

Edited by Lucky

We have 13 lunar or moon months in the 365 day year., but we have made 12 calendar months.

The full moon occurs just after 28 days. ...so sometimes we can have 2 full moons in one calendar month.

July and August are popular because they both have 31 days (according to my knuckle counting technique!).....but that doesn't mean that it is always in these 2 months because 2 full moons can also occur on either side of February (since it has 28days)..so that Dec/jan and March/april are also popular.

They call this 2nd full moon a ''blue moon''......ever heard the saying "once in a blue moon"?

Thanks bro.