Guru Nanak And Mecca

Reading an article of mughal-ottoman relations during the reign of Akbar I came across an interesting note on Hajj.

A few years ago there were intense discussions on this forum on the possibility of Guru Nanak entering Mekka as a non-muslim since according to most (not all) sunni schools of thought non-muslims are banned from entering the City.

An early document state that:

'No Muslims and believers in the unity of God', proclaims an Ottoman

imperial firman, 'should be hindered in any way if he wishes to visit

the Holy Cities and circumambulate the luminous Ka'ba.'42

42. M.D., vol. 6, f. 17, firman no. 39, 1564-5, quoted by Faroqhi, op. cit. 147.

Notice there is a distinction between muslims and non-muslim monotheists. One of the 4 sunni schools also say that only polytheists (idol worshippers) are banned from the city of Mecca.

Edited by amardeep

I just spoke with an Imam who says that during Ottoman rule the laws of the Hanafi school was imposed on all religious and administrative institutions.

The school of Hanafi allows non-muslims to enter Mecca

http://qa.sunnipath.com/issue_view.asp?HD=1&ID=5101&CATE=239

This should debunk the argument on Guru Nanak and Mecca on whether Guru Nanak was a muslim or not

Im not sure if the Hanafi school had power in Mecca in the 16th century, but excellent research none the less. Well done.

In anycase, the claim that Guru Nanak was a practicing Muslim falls down on many parts, esp as Guru Ji also visited many non Muslim religious sites and partook in their rituals (the correct way :-) this would be considered haraam. Guru Jis philosophy certainly had much in common with Sufi and bhakti thought, but not law/ritual ridden mainstream Islamic or Hindu thought.

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know where the above punjabi and arabic text is from?

what is a forgery tony? That Maharaj wore blue clothes or the text above?

I could be wrong, but I think Tony Jee might be referring to the Chola with writings from the Kuraan on it that Ahmadis use as a proof that Guru Nanak Dev Jee was a Muslim.

I remember the text from an old copy of the Sikh review magazine either from the late 60s or early 70s. The article was written by Trilochan Singh who wrote an excellent book on Guru Nanak for the DSGMC in 1969. Another scholar responded to the article and proved it to be a qadiani forgery to put forward their agenda that Guru Nanak was a muslim.

• 6 years later...