What Does Sikhi Say About Adultery?

VJKK VJKFji

Satsangat adultery is considered a kuriehet in sikhi what does sikhi histroy and rehat say in regards to this? Maharaja Ranjit singh commited polygamy and had concubines according to historians so he would be placed under that category he was lashed but other then him what would happen to a Sikh or any other religion for commiting it, Hindus commit honour killings, muslims stone to death, what was the dealing then for that and sex before marriage? Even in Sikhi now what is to happen for that? With Sikhs commiting adultery and sleeping around now all people can do is ex-communicate, So what would a potential khalistan do about this?

Maharaja Ranjit singh commited polygamy and had concubines according to historians so he would be placed under that category

polygamy is not the same as adultery, and polygamy or polyandry are not prohibited in sikhi. polygamy and polyandry, have no hindrance on anybodys spiritual progress towards Waheguru. Maharaja had 27 wives, i dont think he needed any concubines. I have never heard of Maharaja having any concubines.

10th guru, says never approach another woman, even in dream.

there are various quotes in Aad Guru, if one were to make the effort and search.

Edited by chatanga1

I am aware adultery and sex before marriage are not allowed but I am intrested more in the punishment that the panth held back in maharajas time for such a thing and how it was controlled were contrasted to today when media publishes the idea of sleeping around to be normal however still de-valuing adultery.

How about for rape?

There is many stories about maharaja ranjit singhs concubines have a search around few books and net, a famous story is told about his muslim dance girl. Where his muslim dance girl winked at him and he asked is she mocking him for having one eye. From that it was said that maharaja was fortunate to be a one eyed small man (hence not-attractive) to be sitting on a throne blessed by God and she was a beautiful girl (blessed by God) to be dancing for him. Referring to how God points people in places and it is by his will (I can not remember the story properly but something along those lines for his twife/concubine).

Edited by sarbatdapala

Just after watching so much bollywood you always see the guy going after the man who raped her killing him even one movie a sardar gives a jaikara killing a rapist. It almost seems like a norm to kill rapists I remember hearing even in 1984 some sikhs who raped women were killed afterwards, what would the punishment been during Maharaja Ranjit Singh's time. Is imprisoning a rapist morally correct?

Just after watching so much bollywood

That explains a lot. Big tip for you. Don't watch that crap - it will turn you into an idiot, read some intelligent books instead.

im gonna have to dig out some of my books cos ive read about this, from my re-collection punishments were awareded, mainly lashings, but no-one was executed during Mah. Ranjit Singhs reign. Mah. Ranjit Singh did let military opponents go free after subduing them.

My vidya Guru told me that during the Misl era, rapists were executed.

but no-one was executed during Mah. Ranjit Singhs reign.

That's not true. General Avitabile was doing lots of executions in NWFP.

That's not true. General Avitabile was doing lots of executions in NWFP.

i think avitabile was acting on his own impulses, let me re-phrase, Mah. Ranjit Singh never ordered anybody's execution during his time as King. I think that is more appropriate than saying no-one was execcuted during his rule.

Edited by chatanga1

heres an interesting passage from this link. its quite long but it will help you in your assignment for monday morning sarbatdapalaji:

It is, perhaps, in this context that Fakir Syed Waheeduddin has quoted two orders of Ranjit Singh to ensure justice among the people and the application of secular laws of each community to its members through courts presided over by persons of the community concerned. These orders emphasise two things. First that equality before the law and equity in its administration were the fundamental criteria of Ranjit Singh's administration. Second that because of the actual humane manner in which justice was administered, it was never felt necessary by him to give the extreme punishment of death so as to secure respect for the law. And, in this respect, he ensured the sanctity of this principle by not punishing with death even those who had attempted to kill him. We give below the two orders issued by Ranjit Singh.

1. "Sincere Well-wisher, Fakir Nuruddin Ji, May you be happy.

It is hereby decreed by His Highness with the utmost emphasis that no person in the city should practise highhandedness and oppression on the people. Indeed, if even His Highness himself should issue an inappropriate order against any residence of Lahore. it should be clearly brought to the notice of His Highness so that it may be amended. Protector of Bravery Malwa Singh should always be advised to dispense justice in accordance with legitimate right and without the slightest oppression and, further-more, he should be advised to pass orders in consultation with the Panches and Judges of the city and in accordance with the Shastars and the Quran, as pertinent to the faith of the parties; for such is our pleasure. And should any person fail to act in accordance with your advice or instructions, you should send him a formal letter so that it may serve as a proof on the strength of which His Highness may punish him for disobedience.

Despatched from the court For repairs to the old ditch

of His Highness. an expenditure of two thousand

31 Bhadon, 1882 Sambat rupees is hereby sanctioned.

For the present the salary of Fakir Sahib, Rs. 1500/- After expenditure on the said ditch, the salary of Sher Dayal, Rs. 500/-"65.

http://www.allaboutsikhs.com/sikhism-articles/the-sikh-rule-and-ranjit-singh.html

i think avitabile was acting on his own impulses, let me re-phrase, Mah. Ranjit Singh never ordered anybody's execution during his time as King. I think that is more appropriate than saying no-one was execcuted during his rule.

I think the most accurate statement would be that he never directly ordered an execution himself although he did order (at least) one case of amputation although this was seriously provoked., His subordinates around the outer frontiers of the empire did indeed order executions and were not seriously reprimanded for them by M. Ranjit Singh who was aware of at least some of them.

That all being said, no one can deny, executions or not, M. Ranjit Singh was generally a diamond geezer given the nature of most leaders at the time and I would go as far as to say, he is diamond compared to the type of tossers we have around today i.e. Tony Blair and Bush Chacha.

Yes he was a bit of a slag, but that's no biggy for me in the broader scope of things.

Edited by dalsingh101

very intresting, so how did he deal with rape? Does anyone have the maharaja ranjit singh cartoon movie?

yes i have it, but it doesnt tell you in there.

If we move aside from the apparent lack of historical sources, that deals directly with this issue, and look to the character of Mah. Ranjit Singh, we may get a clue, but if you are looking for someone in black and white, then it may take some investigation and time.

I personally beleive that Mah. Ranjit Singh would left it to the law of that persons religion to decide the punishment. Just a hunch, nothing to say it is true or anything. Now in Sikhi what would be the punishment for rape. My vidya Guru said it would be death.

Now in Sikhi what would be the punishment for rape. My vidya Guru said it would be death.

Rape these days has many definations.Many times GF/BF drink and sleep and then suddenly One day GF charges her BF with rape.Similarly many cases are coming in media where suddenly a woman says that she is being raped for year by her boss Which looks quite suspicious as no woman with honour will work in company where her boss repeatedly rape her.Also in India law says that if you promise to marry a woman to marry and have physical relationship with her and later you breach it then that physical relationship could be termed as Rape

Earlier rape had only one defination and that is forcefully taking a woman rape her.So before deciding harsher punishments for rapists we should properly need to define rape O/W lots of innocent men will be punished

• 9 years later...
On 1/28/2011 at 6:41 PM, Mr Sardar said:

VJKK VJKFji

Satsangat adultery is considered a kuriehet in sikhi what does sikhi histroy and rehat say in regards to this? Maharaja Ranjit singh commited polygamy and had concubines according to historians so he would be placed under that category he was lashed but other then him what would happen to a Sikh or any other religion for commiting it, Hindus commit honour killings, muslims stone to death, what was the dealing then for that and sex before marriage? Even in Sikhi now what is to happen for that? With Sikhs commiting adultery and sleeping around now all people can do is ex-communicate, So what would a potential khalistan do about this?

Please do no use the word sikh so loosely.

For sikh is someone who fully  lives to the high moral standards as per sikhee.

Moreover, that jeeva knows that purity is an essential  requiste to do His bhakti, as His bhakti is the only means of reaching Him/Sachay Patshah/Waheguru Akal Purukh.

Such must be the faith and love of a true sikh for Sachay Patshah.

No purity, thus no bhakti, no love, and no Sachay Patshah

SSA.