Thelangarhall Promoting Halal Meat

kdsingh80

Please correct me if I am mistaken, but I've heard that the reason why Dasmesh Pitha kept us away from Halal was because the only maas (meat) available due to Mughal Raj became Halal. Assuming that Muslim belief is that one who eats Halal is en route to accepting Islam. Thus Guru Sahib out of rebellion said that my Sikhs will only eat Jhatka. Jhatka being not only the best way to kill an animal and it not suffer, but also a great way to maintain Kshatriya heritage. Mentally preparing khalseh for battle as well via Jhatka.

In states, I am realizing that Halal is becoming more and more unavoidable at a lot of really famous places. Often times, they don't even make it clear that it is halal since it is not written any where. More and more youth are saying "whatever...who really cares".

I'd really like to know more thorough history behind it. Aasa kee vaar Guru Nanak Sahib says 'abhaakya khaa kutaah bakra khaana chonkeh uppar kisai na jaana"

My two cents.

Bhul Chuk Muaaf.

• 3 weeks later...

It is quite clear the author lacks knowledge of Khalsa traditions.

Also we must campaign in the UK to stop serving undercover Halal meat!! And unfortunately, due to these problems, we may have to start unofficial jhatka association for sikhs, kshatriya and hindus....

KDSingh80 - You need not wait 50-100 years for a new version. You have it now at Sikh Philosophy Network where new Sikhism has already taken birth. This version can be termed as Jat-Sikhism or Akali-Sikhism. This is when something is beyond ones understanding, you give it a new meaning. - Congratulations SPN.

I'm a jatt and I post on sikh philosophy sometimes, that site really freaking annoys me sometimes!!

Also we must campaign in the UK to stop serving undercover Halal meat!! And unfortunately, due to these problems, we may have to start unofficial jhatka association for sikhs, kshatriya and hindus....

bhaa ji if this happens, nothing like it , but to tell you, rather than those high class rajputs , the lower strata ones like lohar, bhil, khatik, sikalgar, will be the ones who shall co-operate with us.

And how is that staying nyara? Really if jhatka is something you can share with hindus its not really making the khalsa nyara is it, which means its not a Khalsa tradition!!

And how is that staying nyara? Really if jhatka is something you can share with hindus its not really making the khalsa nyara is it, which means its not a Khalsa tradition!!

:huh:

...are you joking with around me? I hope that's sarcasm you just posted....

• 7 months later...

ok, I decided to return to this thread. Sangat is asking for explanations, let me see what I can provide.

Halal meat was given when hindustanis were forcefully converted to islam. So, to hindu(stani), sikhs; halal is kuttha.

ok, lets go into how muslim administration they took advantage of pendoos. Basically, by giving halal to uneducated villagers, the villagers became muslim by a loophole. Because the meat had the kal

am (is that the right word?) read over it, then by eating the halal meat, the consumer had also indirectly read the kalam and therefore becomes a muslim. By using this loophole, the person was binded to islam under islamic administration. To reject islam would be punishable by death, so the person had no choice, as a muslim administration shall use their law to kill someone to denounce islam.

So, that is an explanation. Also, halal killing is incompatible with the ancient kshatriya tradition of jhatka. Halal is a foreign/alien, and malesh tradition from arabia/arvasthan, and its not ours! OK?! Also, you can bring the ethics into it. But even gurbani in Guru Granth Sahib is biased against halal method, due to killing slaughtering in the name of Allah. Gurus made us sikhs people who do not follow these types of rituals that can be seen as unpatriotic rituals, rituals that only a person that had sided with the enemy administration would practise. Also by doing halal, we forget our own warrior kshatriya traditions, that Guru ji revived with the Khalsa. To eat halal would be to be gulam.

On another not; Singhs did have a loophole, and that is to do Bhog of the Halal meat with a kripaan. A good example of this is when Guru ji became Uch da pir, and the Singhs with Guru ji had to eat the halal parshaad. The kirpaan was used to do bhog of the halal meat parshaad. There are probably many times in war time when Singhs have had to use bhog when only halal meat is around, whne they attacked some muslim strongholds for example.

So, we could start being weird in public and start doing bhog in public if we go to a place that serves halal for stupid reasons, like at wembley stadium or some uk schools. It would would be a right riot! haha

Edited by londondajatt

On another not; Singhs did have a loophole, and that is to do Bhog of the Halal meat with a kripaan. A good example of this is when Guru ji became Uch da pir, and the Singhs with Guru ji had to eat the halal parshaad. The kirpaan was used to do bhog of the halal meat parshaad. There are probably many times in war time when Singhs have had to use bhog when only halal meat is around, whne they attacked some muslim strongholds for example.

Quite interesting ,I have heard about Uch daa peer but never heard that singhs have had to use bhog of halal meat when they attacked muslim strong holds ,BTW what is the source of it?

If we think practically then during battle you eat whatever you can get your hands on. You just cannot be fussy or squeamish about it being permitted or not. or whether its been washed. Eat insects, leaves, small animanls/reptiles. It is a survival situation. If you worry about your maryada/dietary needs/favourite flavour of Kendal mint cakes you will get killed by the enemy or starvation.

If we think practically then during battle you eat whatever you can get your hands on. You just cannot be fussy or squeamish about it being permitted or not. or whether its been washed. Eat insects, leaves, small animanls/reptiles. It is a survival situation. If you worry about your maryada/dietary needs/favourite flavour of Kendal mint cakes you will get killed by the enemy or starvation.

I agree with you that from practical point of view things could have been different but on one hand we glorify that Khalsa preferred death over giving up their maryada on the other hand we talk about practical element? Religious restrictions and practical element sometimes are opposite

Quite interesting ,I have heard about Uch daa peer but never heard that singhs have had to use bhog of halal meat when they attacked muslim strong holds ,BTW what is the source of it?

My vidya Guru told me, that after Vadda Ghallugara, the Sikhs regrouped and attacked the muslims at amritsar afther they had defiled the sarovar. They took all the muslims dega, including the meat one, and did bhog and shared it amongst themselves.

It is interesting to note that when Randhir Singh published Prem Sumarag (which McLeod later translated), he apparently expunged sections that dealt with consuming halal meat.

Some Sikh researchers need to find and publish these missing sections just for interest.

Personally I don't go near halal.

It is interesting to note that when Randhir Singh published Prem Sumarag (which McLeod later translated), he apparently expunged sections that dealt with consuming halal meat.

Not at all surprising.From around 150 years various Sikh scholars have been injecting their own thinking in sikhism and are denying the facts that contradicts their own thinking.

Not at all surprising.From around 150 years various Sikh scholars have been injecting their own thinking in sikhism and are denying the facts that contradicts their own thinking.

This is one of the problems facing the panth today, the fact that certain Sikhs deny their own religion/traditions just because they respect a man who said so.

I heard of a few youths cutting the halal chicken with the little kirpans on their saliees (thing to push hair in putka) in East London interestingly. I'm not surprised in one way because there is nothing but halal shops there.

I don't particularly agree with it but it is very interesting to see youths try and resurrect a perceived puratan practice in this manner.

Edited by dalsingh101