What Are You Reading?

A thread to share any interesting books your reading right now outside of Sikh religious/historical material.

I'm reading Titus Groan by Mervyn Peake right now. I haven't read any fiction in years before this and am really enjoying it. The author's creative writing is pretty awesome.

At the moment I'm reading two books.

Confessions of an Economic Hitman by John Perkins. I just started it. The blurb says it offers a first hand account of how america gained dominion over most of the former colonial possessions of europe in the early cold war period.

Runaway Horses by the legend that is Yukio Mishima. This book is a piece of fiction in which the hero finds himself in Pre-WW2 Japan where he tries to make sense of the power struggles between the old order and industrialists/politicians who are possibly plotting against the Emperor. The author grew up in the same period so the book reflects the feelings of the people facing economic woes and internal/external enemies.

The Philosophy of Kant and One Hundred Years of Solitude. I have been procrastinating and cant seem to start either yet. :mellow:

Sikhi wise i might start the Nitnem Steek by Baba Gurbachan Singh Bhindrawale. Will be Bugging my Dad constantly for explanations of words, he usually more into Sikhi when drunk though. Should i encourage him to drink more so he can help me? lol

Edited by Dilruba

fiction dal singh ji? ive always thought fiction was for arseholes who couldnt comprehend the beauty and mysticism and eternity of non fiction work, and needed something easier to read, just so they could pretend to be in the readers club.

or am i wrong?

Last non-sikh book i read was about the IRA.

Edited by chatanga1

fiction dal singh ji? ive always thought fiction was for arseholes who couldnt comprehend the beauty and mysticism and eternity of non fiction work, and needed something easier to read, just so they could pretend to be in the readers club.

or am i wrong?

If someone only read fiction (and nothing else) I would probably think of them in less than glowing terms. But then I enjoy graphic novels which probably makes me mentally retarded in some people's eyes!

That being said, there are people who are worse than those who only reads fiction; those who don't read at all.....

What are we here? The Sikh literati?

lol

Edited by dalsingh101

That being said, there are people who are worse than those who only reads fiction; those who don't read at all.....

So true. Nowadays people think you are a nerd if you read a book, it just doesnt seem cool for a young person to be reading a book anymore, what with the intranet and dvds and stuff.

Was talking to some genius brother in Canada over the net about something, he asked me where I found so and so out from? I said a "A book."

He said: "Send it to me."

I said "I can't, it's a printed book, not pdf!"

He called me an "old school mofo!"

lol

a few years ago i called on my mate and we were going out to the library, good god his missus just wouldn't beleive it, and thought something shady was going on. She took some convincing that we were actually going to the library!

I'm not surprised.

"I'm going to the library to study" has been code for

"I'm going to meet my girlfriend/boyfriend."

"I'm going to try and flirt with and hit on my study partner."

"I'm going to take drugs with my crew."

"I'm going to doss around the streets with my mates."

"I'm going to shag my boyfriend/girlfriend."

"I'm going to secretly meet up with my black/white/Muslim boyfriend/girlfriend."

for a long time in the 'Asian' community........

Edited by dalsingh101