Similarity Between Bullah's Kalaam And Adi Shankarcharya's Nirvana

These padas by Shankarcharya are very similar to Bullah's 'bullah ki jana main kaun'. Is it possible that Bullah got inspired from these sanskrit padas and wrote sufi version in punjabi?

I am not mind, wisdom, pride, and heart. Neither I am ear and tongue nor I am nose and eyes. Neither I am sky or earth nor I am power or wind. I am the eternal happiness or bliss state, I am Shiv, I am Shiv.||1||

I am not the state of being alive or the five type of Vayu. Neither I am the seven elements constituting the body (Dhatu) nor I am the five sheaths which invest the soul. Neither I am voice, hand, or leg nor I am the portion at the bottom of waist (anus or Linga). I am the eternal happiness or bliss state, I am Shiv, I am Shiv.||2||

I am not the state of envy and passion or the emotions of greed and attachment. Neither I am intoxication nor I am the emotion of jealousy. And I am not even the four Purushartha — Dharma, Artha, Kama, and Moksha. I am the eternal happiness or bliss state, I am Shiv, I am Shiv.||3||

I am not Punya (good deed), Paap (Sin), Saukhya (friendship), or Dukha (Grief). Neither I am chants (Mantra) or Shrine (Teertha) nor I am the Veda or the sacrifice and oblation. Also, I am not the food, or the one that should be eaten, or the eater. I am eternal happiness or bliss state, I am Shiv, I am Shiv.||4||

Neither I am the fear of death nor I am the difference between races. Neither I am [any relation like] father, mother, nor I am born. Also, I am not a relative, a friend, a teacher (Guru), or a student (Shisya). I am the eternal happiness or bliss state, I am Shiv, I am Shiv.||5||

I am free from changes, and lack all the qualities and form. I envelope all forms from all sides and am beyond the sense-organs. I am always in the state of equality — there is no liberation (Mukti) or captivity (Bandha). I am the eternal happiness or bliss state, I am Shiv, I am Shiv.||6||

Poet: Adi Shankaracharya

Source: Kamakoti

http://www.stutimandal.com/gif_adi/nirvana_shatakam.htm

Very good thread, hope to see interesting discussion on this.

My take is bit pendu on it and lack any scholarly explanation. Bhramgyan of Nirankar is same so Anubhav of nirankar is also same in tat but sometimes perceived or expressed differently, but most of time- tat nichor message is same.

I must say that Shankarchaya piece seems to have more breadth and depth than the Bulleh Shah work (which I love).

Thematically it seems more closer to Jaap Sahib to me.

• 5 months later...