Tea And Meditation

Came across a reference suggesting Buddhist monks would use tea to help them concentrate during meditation.

Anyone ever experiment with this or have knowledge of this they can share?

Would a cup of Earl Grey do?

try yogi tea from the US.. My gora collegue recommended it, later on I found it it was made by the 3HO lol

I've had it. My flatmate used to get it. It's like a packaged, marketed version of the kind of masala tea we make at home.

I find the notion that Buddhists used caffeine as a stimulant to help focus meditation interesting.

I had a cup of tea after two years, a few months ago. Brought out the sweats, and I could feel my heartbeat accelerate as the caffeine kicked in. Couldn't work, let alone meditate.

It's funny, there was a time when I had to drive lond distance late at night most days and I lived off Red Bull and the other 'energy' drink in a can that looks like a beer can - relentless? Anyway, it reached a point they had no effect on me. Went back to spraying my face with water to stay awake.

I've heard from my gora friends that yogi tea is the best cure for hangover....how ironic.

Also in indian longo tea or Chaa could mean anything. it doesn't necessarily need to be the actual tea that we gennraly think of. Any concoction boiled in water is thought of as tea.

In deras of PB they usually give a mixture made several herbs and spices, sometimes called Khalsa Chai.

Try boiling some broken up cinnamon sticks (a fair few) and a few table spoons of 'sonf' (fennel seeds?). Boil it well. Makes a lovely herbal tea that is naturally sweet.

As a side note: Has anyone noticed that desi flavours and tastes that we may have considered 'gross' as youngsters come back in adulthood with a vengeance, and we actually seek them out and take great comfort in them.

Strange phenomena! lol

Edited by dalsingh101

Try boiling some broken up cinnamon sticks (a fair few) and a good table spoons of 'sonf' (fennel seeds?). Boil it well. Makes a lovely herbal tea that is naturally sweet.

As a side note: Has anyone noticed that desi flavours and tastes that we may have considered 'gross' as youngsters come back in adulthood with a vengeance, and we actually seek them out and take great comfort in them.

Strange phenomena! lol

LOL so true. When I was a kid I did not like things like Saag and Moongi di daal. But as soon as I turned into an adult, I started to like eating them. It is a strange phenomena indeed.

Try boiling some broken up cinnamon sticks (a fair few) and a good table spoons of 'sonf' (fennel seeds?). Boil it well. Makes a lovely herbal tea that is naturally sweet.

Strange phenomena! lol

you mean the milai thaT all panjabi kids turn their noses up to?! I was always told that its got all the 'taghat' of the milk in it.

Also Maha Singh try adding some 'malatthi' (licorice)sticks in your drink to sweeten it. Though taking too much can lower your sperm count, according to Ayurveda.

you mean the milai thaT all panjabi kids turn their noses up to?! I was always told that its got all the 'taghat' of the milk in it.

I still love the millai off boiled milk, now more than ever. If a millai making machine was ever invented, certain Panjabis would be ODing on it. lol

Another thing I like is boiled milk with a few crushed green cardamons in it. The subtle favour of the laychees really compliments to milk! A match made in heaven.

why do sadhus refrain from drinking tea and advise the same as well. my dad has not drunk tea for 4 years now and advised me to stop drinking it as well.

tea is considered an intoxicant/addictive and mildly stimulant. I believe its part of satoguni diet to refrain from tea/coffee etc.

I dont drink it but I don't think there is any harm with one cup esp before an excercise session. Like with anything, don't get addicted to it. In the same way people do to booze, drugs, sugar etc. Easier said than done; if you cant control it - abstain!

I see. So its used to midly intoxicate, but wouldnt someone who is of satoguni nature prefer to meditate without it then?

I would have thought the same. but then as I mentioned earlier it may not be the normal chai that we drink but something else like desi cha or even green tea.

But then you do get certain groups taking cannabis, amphetamines or other types of stimulating herbs to help them in their spiritual quest.

where do you get sandalwood paste from? Does it still retain its fragrance?

u can get sandalwood in india, it can be purchased in the form of powder or even wood chunks on basis of wieght, i prefer wood chunks since its cheaper although do have to go through the hard work of rubbing the chunk on a stone with a smooth surface using a little water and collecting the paste.

it has a strong fragrance..very intoxicating and feels cool

• 5 months later...
Guest Benjamine38

However, using tea in your own meditations does not need to be elaborate or expensive. The purpose of such a meditation is an increased awareness and inner focus. For example, you may concentrate on breathing exercises while drinking a cup of cherished tea. Other times, you may use the preparation of the tea as an exercise in meditation. Simply by breathing deeply, and bringing your complete attention and focus to the preparation and drinking of tea, you can incorporate tea into your daily meditations.

For millions of people over the years, the mindful preparation of tea as well as drinking it with focus and intent has been a form of meditation that is easy to do, yet extremely beneficial to your health. In today’s chaotic world, taking the time to meditate upon something as simple yet as joyful as tea is a gift to your mind, body and soul. Meditation is possible at any time, in any place, with or without tea. However to take 10 minutes in the morning and evening to meditate with your tea is a special way of meditating using tea to enhance your experience. Tea in itself promotes a feeling of well-being and happiness, from the L-Theanine amino acid it carries, and this feeling can assist in your meditation time.

Meditations with your tea should ideally be performed in a quiet place where you will not be disturbed. Indoors or outdoors, wherever you find a place where you can feel comfortable, relaxed and without distraction for at least 10 to 15 minutes (or as long as you wish for your meditation to last). The most important thing is to feel good about the experience and to refresh and renew your mind, body and spirit.

• 6 years later...
On 6/1/2011 at 1:43 PM, chatanga1 said:

why do sadhus refrain from drinking tea and advise the same as well. my dad has not drunk tea for 4 years now and advised me to stop drinking it as well.

Please to Gyani Thakur SIngh jee (above). That could be the reason.

Tobacco tea is prohibited for Sikhs, not the ordinary tea.

Bhul chuk maaf