The Descendants Of The 10 Sikh Gurus

Hello,

I wanted to know if there are any decendants of the Sikh Gurus?

As in, their sons or daughters, etc.

Furthermore.

How relevant is this when taking Gurbani into consideration?

Do they, if any exist at all, command automatic respect and allegence?

Thanks

ps. sorry about any spelling mistakes

Respect is given on basis of merit, one of the descendants of Guru Nanak, Khem Singh Bedi tried to become a Guru. He sat parallel to Guru Granth Sahib. So would you respect him just because he is an descendant?

Guru Nanak Jis sons weren't given Gurgaddi, means being son/daughter of Guru is not enough. It is the Karams and Sidhaant that count.

There are some descendants of Guru Nanak near Dera Baba Nanak. I heard there are descendants of Guru Angad too.

I read about Khem Singh Bedi who claimed that he was a descendant of Guru Nanak. But after talking to a few learned people, he could never prove it. He was bought forward by, some claim the british, who wanted to "control" the Sikhs.

I also found that Amitabh bachan's wife is the granddaughter of Khem Singh.

I would like to find out if some people can reveal people who are from one of the Gurus family.

Yogi Bhajan (Harbhaja Singh Puri), claimed that he was a former Prince in Panjab who left everything behind. He also claims, well now his wife does too that her mother is a is a "direct" descendant of Guru Nanak Dev.

Here is what she writes in her facebook. Although I believe she never wrote this, her PR machine did.

A Brief Autobiography

Bhai Sahiba Bibiji Inderjit Kaur Khalsa, PhD

My Life in India

I was born on January 22, 1935 in Wazirabad, Gujrawala District, in what was then India and is now West Pakistan. My father was Bhai Sahib Kartar Singh Uppal and my mother was Sardarni Rawal Kaur Uppal. Both of my parents were descended from historical Sikh families. My mother traces her lineage directly to Guru Nanak. My father’s family is descended from Bhai Sahib Abnasha Singh, a Sikh saint during the time when Maharajaha Ranjit Singh was a child. As a small boy, he had contracted small pox, and his parents brought him to Bhai Sahib Abnasha Singh in Wazirabad for healing. Later, there was a Gurdwara built in Wazirabad to commemorate that place where Bhai Sahib Abnasha Singh used to meditate. In gratitude for the healing of Maharajah Ranjit Singh, seven villages offered as gifts to Bhai Sahib Abnasha Singh. General Hari Singh Nalwa, the steel willed lieutenant of Maharajah Ranjit Singh, was also an ancestor of my father. When I was a child, the street on which we lived was named Bhai Sahib’s Mohalla (Bhai Sahib’s street) in honor of my father’s family. A few years ago I traveled back to Pakistan to visit my childhood home and the land of my Sikh family for many generations. Gratefully, as I toured the area—while almost everything in our town had changed—the street where I grew up was still named Bhai Sahib’s Mohalla! The Muslim families who lived there showed me the room, which was our Gurdwara and was where Bhai Sahib Abnasha Singh had meditated. To this day, they have maintained the sovereignty of that sacred space.

The title of Bhai Sahib had been bestowed upon my father and his father and his father, before him, for many generations. I understood the responsibilities of the Bhai Sahib, which my father had to the Sikh families in our region. As such, when I was bestowed with the title of Bhai Sahiba of the Western Hemisphere by my husband, the Siri Singh Sahib, and the Khalsa Council of Sikh Dharma of the West, I understood the importance and the responsibilities of this position. I knew it was a great honor and considered it my destiny to continue this seva which my family had always fulfilled. In 2004, I was blessed again with the honor of a proclamation letter from the Akal Takhat, which acknowledged and confirmed my position as a Bhai Sahiba

It seems to me that people who claim to be descendants of great historical personalities only brag about these claims so that they can command respect and reverence. Problem is, that most people get sucked in.

Amitabh Bachchan one is kind of forged, leaked when he started to get accused for inciting violence in 1984.

Uppals are Khatris but not Bedis. One can only be a descendant of Guru Nanak if his or her gotra is Bedi (unless it is from the maternal side, but Guru Nanak Ji had no daughters). Trehan in case of Guru Angad and Bhalla in case of Guru Amar Das.

Here is one descendant of Guru Nanak reading poetry on Prophet Muhammad

I think when a Bedi claims to be a descendant of Guru Nanak Dev Jee, the claim should be taken with a pinch of salt. Every Bedi you run into always claims to be a descendant of Guru Nanak Dev Jee. I've never come across a Bedi who has never claimed descent from the 1st Patshah. This claim can only be true if Guru Nanak Dev Jee was the originator of the Bedi clan which he wasn't. I think realistically only a fraction of Bedis are authentic descendants of Sri Guru Nanak Dev Jee. Most Bedis are just "Bedis" but not Guru Ansh.

The term the descendants like to use for themselves is Guru Ansh. They were the Bedis, Sodhis, Bhallas and maybe another gotra (I can't remember which). Pre Singh Sabha days they held a lot of influence amongst the Sikhs. Sikh nobility would donate to them, average Sikhs would do seva of them thinking they are making Guru Jee happy by doing so. They sort of held the same position that Syads hold amongst the Muslims. But during the Singh Sabha movement, the Singh Sabhiyas completely destroyed any credibility the descendants had amongst the Sikhs. The spirit of Sikh teaches us that a Sikh should be judged based on their Karams not their ancestry.

When we say Descendants, do we mean, from the same tribe, pind, etc? Or do we say Blood Line.

I am specifically talking about Blood Line, I don't buy into the other descendancy rubbish. i.e. From the Gurus Family, meaning a their blood runs through their veins.

When we say Descendants, do we mean, from the same tribe, pind, etc? Or do we say Blood Line.

I am specifically talking about Blood Line, I don't buy into the other descendancy rubbish. i.e. From the Gurus Family, meaning a their blood runs through their veins.

The so called Guru Ansh are the descendants of the Gurus through blood line.

• 2 years later...

Dear brother,

even if we find such blood relation, what will that profit us now? Prihi Chand, was son of Sree Guru Ram Das Maharaj, but then too, what happened inspite of having His darshan, and living under the same roof. He was wicked.

Purity or blessings, do not come by looking or being in their physical company, but by putting into action their teachings, and by His Grace alone.

To get full credit and benefit of their company, we have to be present in their spiritual presence, means merge ourselves in their Shabad form, then we are not mere descendants, but become Him.

You see, Guru Sahibans are not the body, they are Shabad swaroop, that is their true nature and essence....if the body was the true guru, it had remained here surely... because the Truth in not perishable...so if their bodies passed away, what to say about their descendants... we have nothing to do with them, spiritually speaking.

The thing is, we are so narrow minded, that we try to see even spiritual matters with our poor limited vision, so we fail to perceive the reality.

It is suffice to say, that our Bani says, that body, that mind, that heart is the only high place, one where He resides through His rememberance, there where His devotion is firmly established.

We are all His children, His descendants, as His divine Light permeates in us as sparks, as souls. And as souls, our objective should be to spiritually come nearer to Him, and merge in Him.

Wahegru Jee.

• 3 years later...

Hello :),

I saw this topic & I thought I could contribute a little for academic interest.

Yes descendents for atleast Guru Angad Dev ji (Bhai Lehna Trehan) exist.

I am one.In brief I have a very average life.

I am attaching an obituary to my great grandfather published in the Lahore Tribune on 27 Feb 1947.

The second one is offered by my grandfather & his elder brother.

The Bawa prefix is used by men decended from the first 3 gurus.Atleast we do not write our names that way any more.

To throw some light on religious practices in my family's case (though I personally am not deeply religious,but many in my family are) ,it's a blend of Gurudwaras & Temples.Ex: customs associated Births,Marriages & Death usually involve involvement of both a Gurudwara & Hindu Temples & religious teachers from both faiths though it's biased heavily towards the Gurudwara.

To further explain,the naamkaran of both me & my son was done at a Gurudwara.And my marriage and that of my father happened following simple Hindu customs & a Gurudwara was visited.

Hope this helps a little. :)

Screenshot_2017-05-27-09-41-03-882.jpeg

On 27/05/2017 at 6:58 PM, Jai Trehan said:

Hey Bro, thanks for sharing. It was nice to read about your family and that photo of your ancestor is a great share. How big is the "Trehan" community in terms of numbers, as I have rarely come across the name. Also the same goes for the "BHalla" name.  They aren't as widespread as "Bedi."

On 5/27/2017 at 1:58 PM, Jai Trehan said:

Hello :),

Yes descendents for atleast Guru Angad Dev ji (Bhai Lehna Trehan) exist.

I am one.In brief I have a very average life.

I am attaching an obituary to my great grandfather published in the Lahore Tribune on 27 Feb 1947.

The second one is offered by my grandfather & his elder brother.

The Bawa prefix is used by men decended from the first 3 gurus.Atleast we do not write our names that way any more.

To throw some light on religious practices in my family's case (though I personally am not deeply religious,but many in my family are) ,it's a blend of Gurudwaras & Temples.Ex: customs associated Births,Marriages & Death usually involve involvement of both a Gurudwara & Hindu Temples & religious teachers from both faiths though it's biased heavily towards the Gurudwara.

To further explain,the naamkaran of both me & my son was done at a Gurudwara.And my marriage and that of my father happened following simple Hindu customs & a Gurudwara was visited.

Hope this helps a little. :)

Screenshot_2017-05-27-09-41-03-882.jpeg

Bro, are you a descendant of Baba Dasu jee or Baba Dattu jee?

Have you heard of Baba Binod Singh jee or Baba Kahan Singh jee?

Bhul chuk maaf

On 5/28/2017 at 9:09 AM, paapiman said:

Sikhs must respect the descendants of the First, Second and Third Masters.

Please listen below:

https://kam1825.podbean.com/e/guru-gobind-singh-ji-on-the-treatment-of-the-gurus-descendants/

Bhul chuk maaf

Hukam of Sri Satguru jee (Tenth Master) only pertains specifically to people who are direct descendants of the First three Satgurus (i.e descendants of Baba Lakhmi Chand jee, Baba Dassu jee, Baba Dattu jee, Baba Mohan jee and Baba Mohri jee). 

It does not apply to all Bedis, Trehans and Bhallas.

Bhul chuk maaf

I think it is good to know some of the descendants, maybe they can bring some sikhi knowledge which hasn't been corrupted by sgpc.

I know some Sodhis, no idea if they are descended from Guru jis. But I know they are nihangs in uk.

• 2 years later...
On 7/21/2011 at 8:11 AM, unbreakable said:

Hello,

I wanted to know if there are any decendants of the Sikh Gurus?

As in, their sons or daughters, etc.

Furthermore.

How relevant is this when taking Gurbani into consideration?

Do they, if any exist at all, command automatic respect and allegence?

Thanks

ps. sorry about any spelling mistakes

Hi I have written an article I cover various family members and have built in some family trees also. 

I have covered how there have been various family members who have tried to or had aspirations for the Guruship. Do read

http://theworldviewbyjashan.blogspot.com/2019/08/the-journey-of-sikh-gurus-leadership.html