What You Guys Reading These Days?

dalsingh101

Im not too sure about that. The Jats werent the only ones to receive this massage.

You're absolutely right. Khatris were given the spiel about 'Aryan races'. However I don't think they have been as effected by the outsider notions as much as Jats have. Maybe because they've had a much older, stable identity or something? In any case we have the clear examples of our Gurus from this background who relinquished or at least downplayed the importance of such an identity.

The point is about forming identities and how susceptible people can be easily persuaded by flattery and how certain communities are aware of this and have manipulated it.

I think another example of the dangers of buying into 'foreign ideas' is how the idea of an inevitable Anglo victory in war against the Sikhs was spread about prior to the Anglo-Sikh wars in 'prophesies' that don't seem to have come from our Gurus.

• 1 month later...

waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru j ki fateh,

i m new to this forum,married to singh with religious thoughts,conduct, i started reading literature..first book i read was ''suraj parkash'' by lekhak kram singh ji..second book i started reading is ''guru maneo granth'' by dr.ratan singh jaggi

Edited by jass4jasmin

WJKK WJKF Jass4jasmin

What did you think of them? I've heard off Suraj Prakash by Kavi Santokh SIngh but not Kram SIngh.

Any bits of the books stick out in your mind?

Are you a fluent Panjabi reader?

• 4 weeks later...

Because I loved the US television series 'The Wire' so much I picked up a book written by the main writer David Simon with Ed Burns called 'The corner'. I'm also (slowly) finishing Ben Goldacre's Bad Pharma with explores deeply rooted bad practice in the Pharmaceutical industry. In some ways it is quite scary and it makes you look at medicine differently.

I'm surprised you guys daint know this, the British actually have the original 500 Saki. In order to weaken the Sikhs, the British corrupted the 500 sakhi and made it into 5 books of 100 sakjis, which many are inaccurate. Many vidvaans know of this and have heard in Katha aswell by Sant Jagjeet Singh Harkovalwale

British (amongst others) corrupted the Sau Sakhi, its a known fact. Said to be written by Sahib Singh from Raam Koers narration, most Sau Sakhis differ to each other in content due to different people corrupting versions at different times, i.e. the Naamdharis to justify their Guru, the Maharaja Dalip Singh supporters corrupted it with a prophecy of him returning, etc. Different people added different things to it over time, and you can see different Samvats (years) in the work. The work, or earlier versions, were relied upon by many writers such as Kavi Santokh Singh though.

Some people used to claim it was written by Guru Gobind Singh but Bhai Kahan Singh Nabha refuted this.

And yes it is said it was Panj Sau Sakhi, but divided into five and given to different Singhs.

Edited by SikhKhoj

• 1 month later...

Just picked up an biography about Charles Dickens published by the British Library, fascinating character and life.

Am I the only one here who picks up lots of books but doesn't finish reading them?

Well, at least that explains your general ignorance. What's the matter? Are you special needs or something? lol

Stick to drawing if words are too difficult to deal with......

I'm messing with you.....kinda....

You know......many a true word said in jest and all that. lol